What other games are we all playing?

Playing it since launch, and it's come a long(er) way now - was a bit too barebones in the beginning but the additional maps (at a price) and the free truck additions make it a lot more meaty now, even though not quite as much as ETS2 yet. I own all the map DLC and some cosmetics stuff (which make Elite's cosmetics look pretty bad in comparison, both in terms of quality and value for money) as well. While I have a lot more hours in ETS2 (and the map is bigger as well), I like ATS for the more varied environments, great for sightseeing.

Yeah i own 100% of the dlc for ats. It was a profound moment a few years ago for the lunar landing anniversary... elite of course was standard nothing.. yet this little truck game released AAAA+ epic amazing, beautiful, nasa logos and all, cosmetics for the event... that worked on ever ship.. i mean truck... and cost half the price of a premium one ship skin in elite. Its called caring. Not even a space game :)

There were 7? different ones even... and multiple mirror hang bobbleheads...

Haven't given up on ED yet and still play it every other day (switching between EDH and EDO lately), but each time I play Odyssey it puts me off more and more. Let's hope that patch 7 is making a bit of a difference in this regard but my hope is limited.

Im honestly stuck on a moral issue. The player disrespect is so blatant, to even accept such an offering may not be correct. What does that say about us if they so knowingly made that.. and we just take it as positive? Maybe some more time away and i'll get over it. Or they commit to keeping horizons around and i can recalibrate expectations.

Deleted member 182079

D
Im honestly stuck on a moral issue. The player disrespect is so blatant, to even accept such an offering may not be correct. What does that say about us if they so knowingly made that.. and we just take it as positive? Maybe some more time away and i'll get over it. Or they commit to keeping horizons around and i can recalibrate expectations.
I'm well past the emotional stage with Elite, at this point it's a simple question whether I still enjoy it when I boot it up, and it's not as clear cut an answer as it would have been only in spring this year, I won't spend any more money on it though I'm pretty sure of that, and there doesn't seem any danger in Frontier changing that anytime soon as there's no sign of significant gameplay improvements so it is what it is now.

Bit of a shame really as I hoped to prolong my fun with Odyssey's release, but it did the opposite in the end. I probably still boot it up now and then nevertheless, but not as religiously as I used to and that's probably not a bad thing anyways.

This is subjective IMO, because I actually prefer X4's flight model to Elite's. The big caveat here is that I spent a lot of time customizing my controls and various settings to make X4 as close to Elite as I can (mimicking ED's 6 DoF on my controller). I will grant you that the smallest fighters can feel a bit "light", but the smallest ship I fly these days is a heavy fighter, and I love how it feels. I much prefer X4's version of FA-off to ED's, and I also prefer X4's use of a travel drive over supercruise in ED. Instead of using boost, I mapped the travel drive to my boost button, allowing me to pop in and out of TD while in combat, allowing for some fun high-speed strafing runs. It helps counter these "terminal velocity" limits that almost all space games love to place on us.

If "good" is fun, then for me X4 is better an ED as a 2D space combat game (again, after lots of tuning). If "good" is realistic, then Space Engineers has both of these games beat, though KSP probably is the clear winner (but AFAIK, KSP lacks space combat). All these games are light years ahead of NMS when it comes to flight model.

This is not to say you are wrong - I do understand why many would prefer ED to X4's flight model, I'm just saying it's subjective. Even I had to get used to X4's model (and modify it to be more Elite-like) before it really started to grow on me and eventually replace ED as my favorite.
Do you use Terran drives? They accelerate so quickly you can really regard them like boost. (Limits still apply, like damage impedes travel drive activation)

I can't really tear myself away from Car Mechanic Simulator 2021. It's stupid, but I love it. You want a McLaren F1 in hot pink? Because I can do that. 🥰
20210919225316_1-hd.jpg

I'm well past the emotional stage with Elite, at this point it's a simple question whether I still enjoy it when I boot it up, and it's not as clear cut an answer as it would have been only in spring this year, I won't spend any more money on it though I'm pretty sure of that, and there doesn't seem any danger in Frontier changing that anytime soon as there's no sign of significant gameplay improvements so it is what it is now.

Bit of a shame really as I hoped to prolong my fun with Odyssey's release, but it did the opposite in the end. I probably still boot it up now and then nevertheless, but not as religiously as I used to and that's probably not a bad thing anyways.

Fair enough. Well deferring to the forums, seems that update 7 was a step backwards, so maybe horizons is getting "safer" as time goes on. Yeah i stopped personally being invested when i stopped discussing in the main forums. I think that's how it works really. If there's no point in fighting a battle then you stop fighting.

Is horizons "instead of ed" given its been positioned away from it all? Might give it a go over the weekend. Maybe.

Currently revisiting CP 2077, BG3 multiplayer, Conan Exiles, and anxiously awaiting Book of Travels and FC6.

If EDH was available on private servers with modding, I'd probably be reinvested in the game in a big way.

Ferrari pls. I hear motor sounds now for some reason.

CMS isn't for everyone... not everyone will like it. 🤷‍♀️

It appeals to my particular acceptable level of 'grind', and rebuilding entire engines from scratch is fun. So is turning junk into race cars (that you can actually drive on a circuit or speed track). It has limited depth once you get past a certain point though.

But it has that "just one more car / job" addictive pull.

I've been having fun with NMS while EDO gets its act together. But now I feel the need to change sci-fi genres. Now I less in the mood for exploration and more in the mood for some military sci-fi. When that happens, the Battletech games are always my preferred choice. I was playing Harebrained Schemes' excellent Battletech turn-based wargame (why, oh why!, did HBS stop with the DLC so soon 😭) but then Pirahanna Games went and released a previously unannounced expansion for Mechwarrior 5. At launch, MW5 was rather bland, but now thatit has two DLCs under its belt, it is feeling much better! It still feels a bit rough in a few areas, but I am enjoying the heck out of it nonetheless. And even though I am running it on my elderly PC at just medium-high, it is a darn pretty game! I took these shots using nVidia's Ansel photo app thingy - MW5 really needs its own photo mode like NMS has - and they really show off the slick visuals of the game. I love the detail on the mechs!

oVKVsZl.png

7zXP0Ri.png

I look forward to the day somebody makes a Battletech live-action series/movie. (With Gundam getting its own live-action movie, I think it is only a matter of time that Battletech gets one, too, especially now that the tortuous legalities of the IP have been put to bed [from what I have read after the last court decision]).

Just gave eFootball22 a punt, in between EDO sessions. They switched to UE4 and todays release (f2p) is kind of a demo version with major modes coming later. Gameplay is great, slow & tactical, and it runs smoothly at 60FPS 4k high settings. If you think EDO was received poorly on Steam, hold on to your hats. It got a solid 9% rating, making it arguably the worst game ever on Steam.

lol @ gaming culture. :D

Just gave eFootball22 a punt, in between EDO sessions. They switched to UE4 and todays release (f2p) is kind of a demo version with major modes coming later. Gameplay is great, slow & tactical, and it runs smoothly at 60FPS 4k high settings. If you think EDO was received poorly on Steam, hold on to your hats. It got a solid 9% rating, making it arguably the worst game ever on Steam.

lol @ gaming culture. :D

Games often have silly kids playing them, and they write reviews. Just had a look and, yup. Just negative and "BLAARRRGHHH!!!" all over the screen with no specifics, or what look like incredibly minor balancing issues, or inherent problems with their PCs that have nothing to do with the game. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I hate multiplayer in games.

I seem to be in a weird mood with games in general. Can't be bothered with ED+O or even Horizons. Star Citizen is on hiatus until after the 3.15 patch and respective persistence wipe so I'm at a loss most days what to spend my spare time on besides continuing with my FIFA 22 player career mode. I don't play FIFA for the football since I'm a rugby player but play it as an RPG playing only as my imaginary 16 year old football playing self instead of the real life 16 year old scrum half that I was...with stats that make Messi look like a shambling idiot :D

OxM0KNK.png

What does seem to be catching my attention and most of my gaming time are the few former PlayStation exclusive titles that have filtered over to PC...Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone and Detroit: Become Human. I really do love a game with a decent story line.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us parts one and two and Horizon: Forbidden West to appear...eventually. We can only live in hope that Sony's new found openness lends a hand to seeing those titles appear on PC in the near future...and no, I'm still not buying a PlayStation to play them on, nothing against the console or Sony but I have a genuine dislike of using platform exclusive titles to sell hardware...especially good games that really should be shared cross platform :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom