What inspired YOUR playstyle?

A friend recommended ED to me. I mostly did exploration. Larry Niven style, Jack Brenan (before Brenan Monster) and Louise Wu when he travels out just to get away from things. I enjoy the relaxing aspect of exploration. Its nice after a stressful day. Since then of course I have done more than exploration. I very much enjoy it.

Edit: And Fredick Pohl's Gateway series... definitely an inspiration for my style in ED.

That's pretty interesting, I actually played for 2 years as a loner, pushing the grind of earning credits and unlocking all the engineers... I can agree that this game has a heavy grind, then again... I come from games like Eve Online and World of Warcraft.

Yes, when players talk about grind I assume they haven't played WoW through multiple expansions... grind for a year just to have a new expansion released making all your grinding efforts worthless and start all over. ED is grindy only as much as you make it. If I got as sour as Navigare Necesse Est I certainly would not be wasting my time on this game.

Any game where I have exhausted the content and replayed repeatedly multiple times with no new interesting outcomes becomes boring and grindy. I don't think it is valid to complain about a game I got over 100 hours out of. And I wouldn't play a game for 100+ hours if I didn't enjoy it. Best to move on and remember the good times. Maybe occasionally revisit.

Last edited:
You inspire me Herlev. My gameplay consists of:
10. Mats gathering
20. Merits farming
30. Ship building / engineering
40. Target practice (massacre missions)
50. Patrol noob systems like Eravate / Deciat
60. Pester outlaws like Herlev
70. Goto 10

This book cover says it all...

gateway.jpg

For me it was Kornelius' videos on youtube all the way back in open beta.

Yep. I watched his review of the original Python, the one he called "Dragon", and I knew I had to have one. That one review and I was sold. I love my space sims and have owned them all : Wing Commander, TIE fighter, you name it. So I was leaning towards purchasing and Kornelius pushed me over the edge. The Python at that time was AWESOME. I feared nothing in that ship, took on wings of enemies. There was genuine love for that ship. And then the great nerf... sadness... I took a "rage quit" vacation for a while. I would trade in my Cutter and Corvette to have it back, exactly as it was.

I like to RP as a drifter, no ties, no real home. Mercenary with nothing better to do and plenty of time to do it. I'll kill for money, trade for profit, run contraband, or give a bunch of refugees a lift to the next star system for almost free. The only thing I WONT do is trade slaves.

Nice general topic. For me, it's flight. Period. That's my style. That's why I'm here.

Elite. DCS. FSX. Wherever and whenever I can squeeze more in. That's why I don't give a rat's hairy bum about Space Legs or anything like it very much. The "living world" around my ship doesn't mean much to me, and being able to get out of it and walk around would simply be a novelty for me personally. The SRV is an exception to this, because I really enjoy being in one. So, whatever involves being in my ship or working with it to improve it - combat, canyon racing (a growing obsession of mine), exploration, sites, engineering - I'm doing it. I'm not roleplaying a character in Elite any more than I am while flying with my squad in DCS. I'm just flying.

This actually all started with a strange little bird that's mostly unknown to the world called Jet Squalus:

jetsqualus3.jpg

It's a jet trainer that my dear old dad was on the design team for. It was also the first aircraft like it that I ever flew in. He took me up in it when I was only 10 years old. The insurance didn't cover me at all, but that didn't stop him, and I'm glad that it didn't. This thing made me fall in love with being up in the sky, and that love never went away. So here I am, many a year later, still chasing that dragon up in the air or out in space somewhere, even when I'm down here on earth. I'm not a pirate or a scientist or a space trucker. I'm not a xeno hunter or an Imperial Duke. I'm not a James Holden. I'm an Alex Kamal. I'm a pilot, and that's all there is to it.

I like to RP as a drifter, no ties, no real home. Mercenary with nothing better to do and plenty of time to do it.
I feel like Elite wants us to all consider ourselves eternal freelancers, and I quite like that about the game. Our loyalties aren't carved in stone. We didn't select a faction when we first started, and even if we choose to pledge ourselves to one later on, it doesn't bind us to them. It's refreshing.

My style: play in fits. Play for a few weeks, all the time. Then move into an hour or two every few days. Then a few times a month. Repeat ad nauseum.

What do I do? Ehh, delivery missions, blow up stuff, occasionally engineering, occasionally something else. Mostly just excuses to fly.

My Play Style is the same that is was when I played this on my Amiga.
I treat it like the work is a job.

I try to play as professional and disciplined as possible.
Back in the Amiga days we had to use our imagination to fill the gap.

Today the tech has a lot of that covered.
But for example since I am a pilot in real life I approach Landings and Departures with as much realism as possible.
Lights On, Initial Approach Orientation Green Lights Right. Red Lights Left. Speed with in limit Entry to the Right, Exit To the Right.
Stuff like that, that are not enforced by the game.

My play style also prevents me from using third party tools that are outside of the game as a cheat or a fast way to make credits.
The grind is good. I play for an hour or so a day and I am very satisfied with the fun the games gives me.

Since I am older I am not for the fighting and attacking people or really interested in the combat aspects of the game.
I play DCS for my dog-fighting fix.

Courier missions are my fav as that is what I grew up on with the Amiga version. (you had no choice)
Mining is fun and of course exploring... but it seems like every one has already found everything and have been every where though lol.

This is a awesome game!

Last edited:
Top Bottom