What would you pay for ship interiors?

Disclaimer - I mention games like X4 in these Elite threads because the best way to answer the question, "What good is XYZ?" is to point to an example of XYZ that already exists in the gaming world.
Of course, the reverse is also true: you can point to XYZ that already exists in the gaming sphere, to answer why XYZ you think it’s bad. And people being people, we’ll point to the same feature from the same game, and have diametrically opposed opinions on the matter.

For example, I still can’t believe people point to No Man’s Sky as an example of good procedural generation. It didn’t me take long at all to start noticing the same biological structures over and over again. It is one of the many issues I have with a game that I should enjoy, given how much I live survival games.

Of course, the reverse is also true: you can point to XYZ that already exists in the gaming sphere, to answer why XYZ you think it’s bad. And people being people, we’ll point to the same feature from the same game, and have diametrically opposed opinions on the matter.

For example, I still can’t believe people point to No Man’s Sky as an example of good procedural generation. It didn’t me take long at all to start noticing the same biological structures over and over again. It is one of the many issues I have with a game that I should enjoy, given how much I live survival games.
Totally agree! There are plenty of things in games I love (and also ones I don't) that I would not want Frontier to incorporate in Elite. Engineering based on material farming, which feels ripped off from MMOs where such mechanism is more appropriate (mining iron in ESO to make metal armor and weapons), is one such feature I'd rather hadn't made it into Elite. And ironically I actually like harvesting materials in ESO, because there it makes sense!

I also am symmetrical in my "borrow feature from game Y and adapt it for game Z". For example, when playing X4, I noticed a distant moon does rotate slowly, which is cool. However, it's obvious that while planetary bodies rotate, they don't orbit, nor do the stations above them. The skybox never changes - stars, including the main star, just sit there. Now compare this with Elite, where over time it becomes clear that everything has an orbit, and X4's "atmosphere" feels a bit like flat soda in comparison.

And as you say, while I would love to see X4 at least pretend to have orbits (which it could do by slowly rotating the skybox along with the main star, along with changing the position of moons), when I suggested this in the X4 forums, people shoot it down just as quickly as people shoot down ship interiors in this forum. Diametric opposition for reasons I don't understand..

Regarding diametric opposition to ship interiors, X4 gives the option to bypass walking through the ship to get to the cockpit via a couple of different "quick travel" options, so it is possible to please both ship interior enthusiasts as well as ship interior phobics. Me personally, I usually choose to walk through my ship to get to the cockpit / bridge, despite taking longer than fast-travel. This thread has enough supporters to show I'm not alone in this.

its is probably my age...... but unless i am reading it wrong i would normally interpret this as meaning the opposite of what I think you are meaning.

ie i reckon you like it, but if i was to say something is balls i would mean its rubbish.

but then that said, i will never be onboard with the notion that if something is sick it is good..... so what do i know ? :D
When someone has Balls - it means courageous!
When someone exclaims "Balls" - it mean utter poppymalehen, rubbish, codswallop!
"It's the dog's balls (usually ball ocks)" - it's the best there is!
"It sucks balls" - it's the worst there is!

And that's just in the UK. If you want to understand in context, just watch older versions of Top Gear, or in fact, anything with Jeremy Clarkson in it.

i wouldnt say its good procedural generation....... but i think it is really good VR implementation (and i know not everyone agrees with that)

When someone has Balls - it means courageous!
When someone exclaims "Balls" - it mean utter poppymalehen, rubbish, codswallop!
"It's the dog's balls (usually ball ocks)" - it's the best there is!
"It sucks balls" - it's the worst there is!

And that's just in the UK. If you want to understand in context, just watch older versions of Top Gear, or in fact, anything with Jeremy Clarkson in it.
Isn't watching anything with Jeremy Clarkson in it mandatory anyway?

i wouldnt say its good procedural generation....... but i think it is really good VR implementation (and i know not everyone agrees with that)

And I think NMS has an utterly awful VR implementation myself. It stops just shy of full roomscale VR, so my choices are either vomiting while seated in my chair, or getting furious with an interface that refuses to turn with my body while standing up.

We already have ship interiors! Well, some ship interiors at least...

ED_Odyssey_149.jpg

Totally agree! There are plenty of things in games I love (and also ones I don't) that I would not want Frontier to incorporate in Elite. Engineering based on material farming, which feels ripped off from MMOs where such mechanism is more appropriate (mining iron in ESO to make metal armor and weapons), is one such feature I'd rather hadn't made it into Elite. And ironically I actually like harvesting materials in ESO, because there it makes sense!

From their entire portfolio, its probably a stretch to suggest that frontier even want to "keep up with the joneses" or even play them.. but eso's parallels that you mention are quite interesting..

• Ive come to realise that harvesting crafting materials is the only value in exploration there. First this is completely shot in the face by the monetization. I think for alot of people, you won't get much rp in world without paying.. the whole thing becomes just themepark quest dispenser only.. so well they made the choice, and no wonder over the years people aren't convinced anymore.
  • Eso's player housing is strange. Its ridiculously expensive ($100+ per house for the large ones), insanely detailed in terms of options, unusually held back in functionality to keep the open world still relevant (or another $50 to get just one vendor).. yet it stupidly popular. People are frothing at the mouth to pay for these $100 houses and scoff at the idea of not paying for them.

If frontier were looking at the possible options to reinflate elite after the thargoid war.. looking at mmo housing in all mmo's and star citizen? I don't get how its not compelling. All they would have to do is implement subnautica and be a little bit more creative on how its monetised and have a real go.

There might be the revenue problem as well.. i think frontier should get a little bit more interesting on how its done. If frontier have shrunk down to keep elite profitable, we're probably not going to get any content apart from refactors until the game shuts down. While the last time i thought this frontier just went off and became a publisher with all the money, they should probably work on the monetization as well, to create more win / win opportunities in the game and.. make more money from elite.

I hated the oversimplified flight mechanics of NMS, and, while it is awesome to sit in an X-Wing or Tie in VR, flying in Squadrons sucked, too. Being limited to roll, pitch and yaw is... meh. Compared to them I don't understand how folks call ED's flight model "planes in space". It is more like helicopters in space sometimes.

I agree, the NMS piloting system also sucks, it's too simple for my taste.

Last edited:
Since we've been off-topic for awhile now, X4 has a flight model that is very similar to Elite in that it has 6DoF, and yet it is also "arcade-like" when it comes to crazy acceleration in most those DoF. I have found that switching to FA-off greatly improves the feel of smaller ships, giving the ships more realistic mass. Does Spacebourne have an "FA-off" option?

To bring the thread back on topic while continuing my X4 examples, I purposefully pick ships with more "realized" interiors when that's the major difference between two ships of the same class. For example, there's a small cargo hauler where you can walk all around the cargo bay and look at your cargo, and it requires a bit more walking to get to the cockpit than the alternative. There's no gameplay to this "realized interior", but the immersion it gives me is well worth it. Someday I'll whip up a short video of a quick tour of that ship for this thread.

Disclaimer - I mention games like X4 in these Elite threads because the best way to answer the question, "What good is XYZ?" is to point to an example of XYZ that already exists in the gaming world.

spacebourne has 6DoF and Fa Off, it also has a system where you can activate side turbines to avoid direct shots that I haven't seen in any other space game so far.
but I'm just learning to fly the basic ship, I haven't modified it yet.

On the topic of the thread, does SpaceBourne 2 have ship interiors?

So far I only have the basic ship (sort of like the sidewinder) and I docked in a triple ship larger than mine, which had interiors.
I know that there are more types of ships and that all the stations, satellites and ships have interiors and also if you destroy a part of the freighter, you can infiltrate inside it... But I still don't know if the ships that can be piloted have interiors. mine just the seat

Last edited:
spacebourne has 6DoF and Fa Off, it also has a system where you can activate side turbines to avoid direct shots that I haven't seen in any other space game so far.
but I'm just learning to fly the basic ship, I haven't modified it yet.
Stop tempting me! I just got back into X4, lol :D

Top Bottom