What's the Brand New Feature for ED in 2024?

"This will be an exciting new addition to the core gameplay"

So will it be 'IN addition to the core gameplay', i.e. a whole new gameplay style considered a core in itself or will it be 'AN addition to the core gameplay' meaning a new facet to the already existing core gameplay? :LOL:

(I'm not really this invested in the words used by Frontier, but i do enjoy these speculation threads)

So will it be 'IN addition to the core gameplay', i.e. a whole new gameplay style considered a core in itself or will it be 'AN addition to the core gameplay' meaning a new facet to the already existing core gameplay?
Yes...

We have to wait for Frontier to decide to share whatever it might be! (which they appear to be in no hurry at all to do, as always)

But, is it safe to assume, that whatever it might be, it will be something?

What is core gameplay?
Mining?
Hauling?
Manipulation of the bgs or pp?
The economy?
Exploration?
Exobiology?
Pvp?
Bounty hunting?
Mission running?
On foot as above?
Piracy?
Law & order?
Ax combat?
No their all branches of the core gameplay, which of course, is flying ships?
In which case its interiors!!
Or something akin perhaps piracy or new ships rather than "versions" of existing ones.
Speculation !! Let's have it

Last edited:
Because it's fun. A lot of people enjoy building player homes in games. Player bases can be used to make the DSSA even better, start actual player-driven bubbles in the Galaxy etc. And if it leads to more dynamic and thriving player-to-player economy, all the better.

Also, why have pulse lasers, burst lasers, cannons, fletchette launchers, mines and missiles when PA+railguns or beams+MC-s is the most effective weapons loadout? Why have Kraits, Mamba, Clipper when Python is the best multirole ship and FDL the best combat ship? Why have populated star systems with no stations that have large pads? Why have a bazillion different mineable minerals when platinum, painite and void opals are the only ones that pay well? Why have Coriolis, Ocellus and Orbis stations when they're functionally all the same?

Variety and options.

So what do players actually want, then?

I know I personally enjoy building player homes in Skyrim and industrial complexes in X3. I think base-building would be a nice addon to Elite, just like Odyssey settlements and on-foot missions are.
the economy on ESO hinges on people buying potted plants and such, player housing & decor is part of the end-game on here, well for some ><
edit, i prefered the mass pvp areas & look at housing as just a box to keep stuff in

Fdev will add a brand-new feature to the core gameplay of ED. The tentative release date is end of 2024.

What could it be? Such as:
  1. Ship interiors
  2. Base building, mining resources
  3. Station management
  4. New planet types and biomes
  5. EVA outside a ship in space
  6. Deep NPC interaction with AI voices
  7. On foot VR mode
  8. Procedural cities on planets
  9. Guild system for player groups
  10. Hunt procedural alien wildlife
  11. Something else
If I see on foot VR, I'll buy the Odyssey expansion and come back to the game.

That's easy, core gameplay must be blowing open asteroids to get at their cores. New mining tool? New thing to mine?
Maybe you crack open an asteroid and instead of tons of gemstones there's a surprise new ship in there.

Hi All :)

Speculation?...🤔
I think it was originally said (By FD) that it would be something never before seen / attempted in Elite?...or words to that effect, can't remember the actual wording of that statement at the moment.
So...is it something not present in the original game dating back to Elite, or in the later games Frontier Elite 2 / First Encounters, or did they mean this current game, Elite Dangerous / Odyssey?
I'm presuming the development team's spokesperson means these current games. If so then judging by the statement I'd tend to start thinking of just two various scenarios.

A more intelligent and complex NPC feature. NPC's that have personalities in the sense that some can be actively engaged with by the player, they can also board your ship (for various reasons) and interact directly, and personally with the player. They could also involve / interact with other players, whether this would mean a player would then be able through choice to also interact with other players, depending of course on what that particular NPC's goals, ambitions or purpose was.
Certain NPC's in other words (simplified) are persistent in the game. Whether they are 'mortal' in the sense they can be destroyed / killed just like the player, or as programming allows they are more of a 'robust' nature. ;)

More diverse features involving various types of planet, water features, varied weather effects and this would also include or effect a planets geology perhaps. Maybe the introduction of wildlife, either primitive or more complex involving land, sea (or water) and air.

I don't suppose it's any of the above, but well... we are of course just speculating! :D

Jack :)

Top Bottom