What's the Brand New Feature for ED in 2024?

This picture is from a recent news article about a company building a warehouse right behind some houses and homeowners were not consulted and the first they knew of it is when construction began.

SEI_190288320.jpg

THIS ^^^^ is what base building in Elite Dangerous will be like. Frontier will be overwhelmed with "WHAAA SOMEONE BUILT AN UGLY BASE TOO CLOSE TO ME WHAAA"

Hi All :)
Your trying to construct a false narrative. All games copy each other. All space games are pretty much copies of Elite - it being the first of the genre, and most, including the developers of Eve & Chris Roberts, have said that Elite is their inspiration. So I don't (or maybe I do) know where you get the idea that what is common in other games is forbidden for Elite. Ultimately if adds to the game then it's good and there's a lot of potential for things to be added to this game.

I totally agree, and I've often speculated privately what the game would be like if it incorporated some features of other space games that were created after the release of Elite.
I remember for example that when Egosoft released their first game in the 'X' series, it was hailed as (By PCZONE) "The Elite of the next millennium", which I personally thought at the time was a rather controversial direct reference to this game by Frontier! :sneaky:...but that's a topic in itself which I won't say any more about, so as not to de-rail this thread.

Staying on topic,

Fdev will add a brand-new feature to the core gameplay of ED. The tentative release date is end of 2024.

What could it be?..... (Abbreviated).

Not being privy to Frontier's future plans for Elite Dangerous, other than what is generally known at this point, I obviously haven't a clue! :D
I can speculate though, which I gather is the purpose of this topic, so.... 🤔

Another question is, to my way of thinking, what do the Frontier developers think is important and practically achievable to further this games immediate future.
Releasing some information of the 'new' Python Mk 2 ship is in itself not core gameplay as such, but it has helped I gather to kindle new interest in the game, I can certainly say it's piqued my interest!. :)

Core Gameplay..... perhaps some new content which entails planetary detail or ships?
Maybe some further expansion of on foot features?
Whatever it is I am not going to speculate too much at this point, last year has seen some radicle changes at Frontier as we all know, so I think whatever new content to the core gameplay is coming it will be on a achievable level for Frontier in this years development. At least I hope so.:)

Jack :)

Why build bases?
Because it's fun. A lot of people enjoy building player homes in games. Player bases can be used to make the DSSA even better, start actual player-driven bubbles in the Galaxy etc. And if it leads to more dynamic and thriving player-to-player economy, all the better.

Also, why have pulse lasers, burst lasers, cannons, fletchette launchers, mines and missiles when PA+railguns or beams+MC-s is the most effective weapons loadout? Why have Kraits, Mamba, Clipper when Python is the best multirole ship and FDL the best combat ship? Why have populated star systems with no stations that have large pads? Why have a bazillion different mineable minerals when platinum, painite and void opals are the only ones that pay well? Why have Coriolis, Ocellus and Orbis stations when they're functionally all the same?

Variety and options.
So... base building is a bad idea, flatly. It won't offer what players actually want
So what do players actually want, then?

I know I personally enjoy building player homes in Skyrim and industrial complexes in X3. I think base-building would be a nice addon to Elite, just like Odyssey settlements and on-foot missions are.

Because it's fun. A lot of people enjoy building player homes in games
I enjoy colony menagement, but it doesnt mean, that I want to build my own fortress in ALL games which I play (so in elite too), like in dwarf fortress. Diferent games, different stuff to do, that's so simple.

Like I said... why do you want base building? The reasons people want it aren't actually fundamental reasons for base building, and could be facilitated by any number of means that aren't base building.
I don’t really think I need to justify why I wouldn’t mind base building in ED. It will only dissolve into someone telling me why I don’t want it, when I do.

Last edited:
Its always folly to think you know what players actually want.
Well, obviously. Unfortunately that also applies to Frontier, so it's near certain that if Frontier did implement base-building at least a majority of the players currently asking for base building would say "no, not like that".

This exact thing happened with "space legs". Lots of calls, pretty much from the end of Horizons / release of No Mans Sky onwards, for being able to get out of the spaceship and walk around. Very little talk about what you'd actually do once outside the spaceship. Big excitement a few years later when the Odyssey trailer showed CMDRs walking around and not actually doing much. Massive attempts after it released to claim that obviously when players had been talking about "space legs" they'd meant walking around inside the spaceship, not outside it.
(Not the only example, either)

In this thread and elsewhere there have been several suggestions for what base building could/should provide and they don't necessarily line up:
- cosmetic-only places to hang out and watch the sunset
- provide FC-like resupply in a static location
- mining bases to provide additional commodities (or materials)
- ways to build new system-level assets for a BGS faction (well, at least until the next election/war)
- ways to build new system-level assets in uninhabited space to kickstart NPC settlement
- ways to build new system-level assets to allow a squadron to create a BGS faction of its own
- start a player-driven economy for something
- support inter-player warfare

Those features don't imply at all the same things around "cost" or "possible location" or "persistence" of bases.

If they're going to be things which have significant BGS effect, then they need to be expensive enough that a well-organised player group can't just drop 100 of them in the first week, then farm some Spire sites for Orthrus to rebuild credits and put another 100 down the next week. Conversely, if the main expectation is that they're the new implementation of surface-point bookmarking for when you find a nice view, they should be really quite cheap to construct and practical to do so a long way from inhabited space without having to make multiple supply runs with a Fleet Carrier.

If they're for inter-player warfare then they might be relatively cheap to construct but also get a progress bar on them to let other players destroy or capture them by accumulating actions to take effect at the next Thursday reset which you'd have to counter by repair work and hauling supplies; if you just want to watch the sunset from one then other people being able to attack it is an actively unwanted feature.

This picture is from a recent news article about a company building a warehouse right behind some houses and homeowners were not consulted and the first they knew of it is when construction began.

SEI_190288320.jpg

THIS ^^^^ is what base building in Elite Dangerous will be like. Frontier will be overwhelmed with "WHAAA SOMEONE BUILT AN UGLY BASE TOO CLOSE TO ME WHAAA"
Could've sworn I backed a game about being a space adventurer in a hard galaxy. Not a construction worker, HR manager or logistics guy. :unsure:
This skit highlights exactly why I despise a certain style of gameplay and want to excise the parts of it that have already crept in and make sure it never returns. :devilish:

Because it's fun. A lot of people enjoy building player homes in games. Player bases can be used to make the DSSA even better, start actual player-driven bubbles in the Galaxy etc.
So, what's going to functionally distinguish them from FCs in that role?

The challenge here is to do so without introducing new functional pieces. If we build a base... why is it useful without adding things like "automatic refineries" or "ship manufacturing yards"... just purely in terms of what the game currently offers. If you can't, you don't want base building in and of itself, you want something else.
And if it leads to more dynamic and thriving player-to-player economy, all the better.
And how would they do that? Their mere existence isn't going to do that.

And, you've made an assumption player economy == better. I disagree with that entirely... a player economy isn't what Elite needs, given how the game currently operates.

And how would it do that anyway? Only thing players need in the deep is Tritium. Why would someone buy, say, a tonne of fruit and veg? Unless you're implying there's also a base management consumption/maufacturing loop, which needs a whole new thing besides base building to happen.
Also, why have pulse lasers, burst lasers, cannons, fletchette launchers, mines and missiles when PA+railguns or beams+MC-s is the most effective weapons loadout? Why have Kraits, Mamba, Clipper when Python is the best multirole ship and FDL the best combat ship? Why have populated star systems with no stations that have large pads?
Why have Coriolis, Ocellus and Orbis stations when they're functionally all the same?
Variety and options.
That's not right. Elite is not a game of the "variety and options" genre.

The "why" is because Elite is a game where "Players take control of their own starship and can fight, explore and travel throughout an expansive cutthroat galaxy". Inherent to that design is a choice of:
  • Do we have a single ship that can ostensibly do it all, with progression being centered around the player rather than the ship; or
  • Do we have multiple ships with specific features that can be further customised to specific tasks

FD just happen to have gone with the latter. But to get away from that a little bit, the features of elite are, as it states, combat, exploration, travel. Trade is absent, but hey, they threw that in there too.

"Variety and options" is not the "why" in the game. It's an input into successful mechanics for combat, exploration, travel and trade which are the "why"... if you had one ship, one planet to discover, one place to travel and one good to trade, and one enemy to fight, you could absolutely meet those goals. But it would suck.... but nonetheless, "variety" is not a goal in it's own right.

By contrast, No Man's Sky is, "a game about exploration and survival". Although ships are also customisable, they are as customisable as bases, the player and their weapons, because at it's core as a survival game is resource gathering (to survive). A survival game in this sense also presumes hazards, both intelligent and environmental. Towards that end, bases as a means to defend from both makes sense (though are certainly not requisite, much like the single vs multiple ships choice).

Elite has no such target in it's repertoire that I can see. It's a game about flying ships, not building bases. What next? We get a cabaret club game? I actually really enjoyed that minigame from the Yakuza series, so we need it in here yeah? Variety and options yeah? Of course not... because there's no reason to have it in the game.

Why have a bazillion different mineable minerals when platinum, painite and void opals are the only ones that pay well?
This is one of the biggest failings of Elite at the moment. Bottom line, they shouldn't be the only ones that pay well. Each mineral type should have it's own reason for existing... this is certainly the case for all trade goods which aren't just "variety and options"... each plays fundamentally different roles and effects... with a small amount of overlap only.

They need to go back to the drawing board on mining. More realistically, while FD has botched the economy completely, they've let it rest on having a single activity from most major activity groups. It's their stop-gap for fixing the economy writ-large... meaning if you do combat, there's a way to get good credits (massacre stacking), same for mining (aforementioned high value ones), trade (30k/t gold runs), piracy (LTD jacking), exploration (ELW hunting), exobio (lol). The rest of the activities are basically pointless, much like the other mined minerals... and that's what a broken economy does to the game.

So, yes, I ask the same question of FD. They need to make all minerals viable in their own way.

So what do players actually want, then?

I know I personally enjoy building player homes in Skyrim and industrial complexes in X3. I think base-building would be a nice addon to Elite, just like Odyssey settlements and on-foot missions are.
Right, so like before, you don't want base building, you want your own customisable home (not base building), and you want an industrial manufacturing layer to the game (not base building).

To gather together the various things I've heard mentioned with "base building"... players who want base building actually want:
  • Mining and refinement facilities
  • Home building and customisation
  • Ship and module manufacturing
  • Industrial manufacturing and player driven economy
  • BGS integration and a replacement for PMFs
  • Combat opportunities and the ability to destroy player bases; which begs
  • Player-customisable defence systems
  • Numerous of these imply places to obtain blueprints or items, so this implies a whole new range of shops and facilities in standard facilities to support this.

And then of course, you'd need to fundamentally rebalance all NPC market commodities and costings so that manufacturing actually makes sense, and how BGS states would then impact those player markets. And what sort of base-building are we talking? The Subnautica/Planet Crafter sort? The Factorio sort? The EVE PI sort? The Sim City sort? The Stardew Valley sort?

It's not hard to take a look at the current state of the game and go from now, to later this year, that we're going to just have base building "happen" without either alienating a huge swath of players, or expecting an absolutely unrealistic amount of work to occur for a game fundamentally not set up for base building. Base building is certainly a framework that can accomodate all that, but if "base building" doesn't deliver most of that, it's dead already.

But any one of those features on it's own, or even all of them on their own are very achievable without base building. You would only do base building if you intended to do most of that list, which I think is completely unrealistic this far into the game.

As for Odyssey, do I enjoy the activities it presents? Yes. Do I think it's completely pointless in achieving the broader remit of the game? Yes.
Again, people didn't want "space legs" which is what they were asking for... they wanted:
  • To walk around the interior of their ship
  • To EVA out and into space wrecks
  • To raid, board and steal other player's ships

Instead, they got a virtual analog of the space game, but on foot... no surprises for me... and it's embarrassingly optional. Pretty pointless addition to a spaceships game, but it exists and what it offers is fun... but so would be a cabaret club simulator 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

SEI_190288320.jpg

Without knowing anything about the feature, even if it's coming, there's an ability to accurately predict it's outcome. Fascinating.

Without knowing anything about the feature, even if it's coming, there's an ability to accurately predict it's outcome. Fascinating.
Are you saying people won't complain?
Even if Frontier limited it to 1 player base per planetary body (to avoid people complaining that another player built too close to them), there would then be complaints of "WHAAA I WANTED THAT MOON WHAAA"

I think whatever Frontier does with base building, there will be complaints.

So it then comes down to, what feature would Frontier put in that would have the least negative reaction or complaints? And when you look at what Frontier might do in that regard ... it won't be base building. The people who work at Frontier are not stupid.

That's not right. Elite is not a game of the "variety and options" genre.

ED offers many different roles and play styles so base building management is a suitable addition. The galaxy is a huge sandbox and players need tools to make their own fun.

Right, so like before, you don't want base building, you want your own customisable home (not base building), and you want an industrial manufacturing layer to the game (not base building).

To gather together the various things I've heard mentioned with "base building"... players who want base building actually want:
  • Mining and refinement facilities
  • Home building and customisation
  • Ship and module manufacturing
  • Industrial manufacturing and player driven economy
  • BGS integration and a replacement for PMFs
  • Combat opportunities and the ability to destroy player bases; which begs
  • Player-customisable defence systems
  • Numerous of these imply places to obtain blueprints or items, so this implies a whole new range of shops and facilities in standard facilities to support this.
And then of course, you'd need to fundamentally rebalance all NPC market commodities and costings so that manufacturing actually makes sense, and how BGS states would then impact those player markets. And what sort of base-building are we talking? The Subnautica/Planet Crafter sort? The Factorio sort? The EVE PI sort? The Sim City sort? The Stardew Valley sort?

It's not hard to take a look at the current state of the game and go from now, to later this year, that we're going to just have base building "happen" without either alienating a huge swath of players, or expecting an absolutely unrealistic amount of work to occur for a game fundamentally not set up for base building. Base building is certainly a framework that can accomodate all that, but if "base building" doesn't deliver most of that, it's dead already.

Base building + customization options, housing, trading, crafting, manufacturing, base raids, and powerplay sounds like a lot, but these features are mostly in-game. The bases could tie the separate "mini-games" and game loops together for deep gameplay. ED would no longer be described by critics as a mile wide and an inch deep.

People have different preferences. There are hundreds of games with base building. Some sold millions of copies so it would benefit ED too. Building and management games are Fdev's specialty. So rather than develop a separate scifi colony game, they could implement it in ED. This will hopefully revitalize interest and longevity in ED.

I think whatever Frontier does with base building, there will be complaints. So it then comes down to, what feature would Frontier put in that would have the least negative reaction or complaints?

Every game developer gets complaints. There's always some people who dislike it.

Last edited:
It is becoming clear to me that the fraction of the player base that reads and posts to the forums that says it is interested in base building is actually much more interested in base management, perhaps they should change their requests to reflect that.

Why do I say that? Because there has been lots of waffle about what the base will do and nothing on how to build it.

While I'd certainly agree that the only base-building implementation which wouldn't get complaints from the "other players can do things which affect my game" side would be one where you carried a pop-up base around with you, and so it was only visible in the same instance you were in...
So it then comes down to, what feature would Frontier put in that would have the least negative reaction or complaints? And when you look at what Frontier might do in that regard ... it won't be base building.
... I'm not sure that smallest absolute negative reaction is the metric Frontier are going for anyway.

After all, Powerplay v2 basically has the same dilemma
- if which Power controls an area of space has visible impact, it provides a source of player complaint that some big group has put the wrong power in charge
- if it (largely as now) doesn't have any visible impact, then the feature is useless to anyone except those who can be motivated purely by getting a "high score"

Similarly the Thargoid war has received complaints both for having too much impact and too little impact.

Why do I say that? Because there has been lots of waffle about what the base will do and nothing on how to build it.
That's a very good point - and the two other recent big space games with base building go about it in very different ways, which would fit better with some visions of what the base subsequently does than others, so it's not as if there's an obvious established consensus on "well, obviously base building in a spaceship game would work like this".

NMS: you build the base personally largely from the equivalent of ED materials rather than commodities. Most basic structures require materials you can find anywhere, whereas advanced structures might require you to collect materials from a particular source (ED: high-end raw materials, Odyssey data, maybe even Thargoid/Guardian materials for some bits). Once you have the materials, however, base construction is really fast - if you're not too concerned about aesthetics you can have a workable outpost up and running in a few minutes. Structure blueprints are generally received as either mission rewards or by trading in materials to a tech broker equivalent. Construction is "one wall at a time" and very free-form though there are some prefab modules to speed it up a bit. Changing your mind about base design later is easy to fix and the majority of base functions can continue while you do so.

X4: base construction uses the equivalent of ED commodities, and in general you won't be doing it all personally - either you stick up a purchase order and wait, or you arrange for at least some of the commodities to be hauled directly. Even with well-stocked sources of commodities physically getting them all to the construction site will still take a while and base construction can take a substantial amount of time - with potentially also the requirement to defend the construction site and its builders/freighters until the base's own defences are operational. Structure blueprints are generally bought (expensively) for credits or obtained via espionage, though occasionally you'll be gifted them for missions. Construction is of high-level modules only which fit together in pre-defined ways. Changing your mind about base design later is time-consuming to fix and you may need to take some or all of the base offline to do it.

Your trying to construct a false narrative. All games copy each other. All space games are pretty much copies of Elite - it being the first of the genre, and most, including the developers of Eve & Chris Roberts, have said that Elite is their inspiration. So I don't (or maybe I do) know where you get the idea that what is common in other games is forbidden for Elite. Ultimately if adds to the game then it's good and there's a lot of potential for things to be added to this game.
it may be false negative, mainly because they added thing to the game but never seen to fix previous disasters they made!. previous disaster zone they implanted in the first place. Take the oddy disaster when it first came out, it was laggy, bad shaders. really depends on how long they take to get the game to function properly before they totally mess it up, do we really need base building and climbing to the cockpit genders. Procedural terrain another disaster, npc in sidewinders in the black that attack all shipping with one goal to peeve of the players from there exploration data only.

all i want is the game to work fully properly wthout the idea of we needed more players ingame the reason most people have left is that the game has many many flaws that are driving people nuts. , not be a junk pile of spare parts from a dev's catalogue. unfortunate that the devs have other idea's

Last edited:

SEI_190288320.jpg

Well, hopefully this will be the cause of many epic battles over who owns what.

The battles themselves will be glorious.

Top Bottom