Why do people insist on using the incorrect O7 for a salute?

Hmmm...
o7 is a salutation, in my interpretation...
Much like the Hello, Hi, Hiya etc.

As a civilian, I'd never be saluting another citizen, the armed farces in the game can keep such for themselves.

There you go.

respect-pirate.gif

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The proper salute in both the UK and US armed services is performed with the right arm, the portion of the arm between the elbow and shoulder parallel to the ground, elbow to fingertip straight. So while it's not perfect, <Ois a far better representation than O7. I'm starting the trend. Out with with O7, in with <O !!!!
You could go and ask them on the EvE forums if you like :) I was using o7 as a salute there long before Elite Dangerous was released. But it probably goes back longer than that too.

I know someone who will be very happy with this thread's existence though :D

interestingly, I'm told that air traffic controllers say this in transmissions with aircraft now. They say "Oh Seven" Captain or Flight 12345. when closing out radio transmissions. Like it's catching on in the non-gaming world. I was on a private flight and overheard it on the pilot's radio and did a double take.

The proper salute in both the UK and US armed services is performed with the right arm, the portion of the arm between the elbow and shoulder parallel to the ground, elbow to fingertip straight. So while it's not perfect, <Ois a far better representation than O7. I'm starting the trend. Out with with O7, in with <O !!!!
7O

Top Bottom