Why do people insist on using the incorrect O7 for a salute?

The proper salute in both the UK and US armed services is performed with the right arm, the portion of the arm between the elbow and shoulder parallel to the ground, elbow to fingertip straight. So while it's not perfect, <Ois a far better representation than O7. I'm starting the trend. Out with with O7, in with <O !!!!
Less than zero to you, sir.

But I’ll keep to using o7, thanks.

1710629814612.png

The other explanation is that changes in military culture made the switch so that you salute with your left hand and, thus, your right hand remains at your hip, ready to draw your gun at any moment if needed.

Perhaps too many traitors infiltrated the forces, so commanders must be ready for anything.
This is close to the explanation I'd come up with. Motorcyclists wave with their left hand because they have their right hand holding the throttle. I'd imagine pilots having their right hand holding their joystick

This is close to the explanation I'd come up with. Motorcyclists wave with their left hand because they have their right hand holding the throttle. I'd imagine pilots having their right hand holding their joystick
I dunno. I'd be a bit worried if my underling felt the need to finger their sidearm every time they saluted. :p What's the parody/universe where officers advance by murdering their superiors? ST Mirror Universe? Ah, there you go! The salute is reversed in the Mirror Universe. We are all evil and should be sporting goatees. 😁 Dammit, where's my goatee emojis!

im also right handed so here is what i prefer <ô and then the 8887 in HIP 8887 made me think that an facet eyed insectoid is doing an o7 to me ^^

I dunno. I'd be a bit worried if my underling felt the need to finger their sidearm every time they saluted. :p What's the parody/universe where officers advance by murdering their superiors? ST Mirror Universe? Ah, there you go! The salute is reversed in the Mirror Universe. We are all evil and should be sporting goatees. 😁 Dammit, where's my goatee emojis!
I was thinking more of the need to keep in control of the spaceship, but it's true that the fire trigger is on the same side as the manoeuvring controls

And as for the idea that the Elite galaxy is some sort of dystopian society where the fellow pilot you're saluting might come at you and try to kill you... Have you ever played in Open?

The other explanation is that changes in military culture made the switch so that you salute with your left hand and, thus, your right hand remains at your hip, ready to draw your gun at any moment if needed.

Well, it would be simple to just hire assassins that are lefties.
They salute you with their right, you salute back (putting distance between your weapon and your hand) and they shoot you with their left while still saluting you 😇

I was thinking more of the need to keep in control of the spaceship, but it's true that the fire trigger is on the same side as the manoeuvring controls

And as for the idea that the Elite galaxy is some sort of dystopian society where the fellow pilot you're saluting might come at you and try to kill you... Have you ever played in Open?
I have enough trouble with that in Solo and then there are the NPCs!

Top Bottom