Why Haven't you got a Fleet Carrier?

Hi Folks :)

I see a plethora of Fleet Carriers in the game map, I was just wondering how many players don't have one yet, and why.
Just a random thought. 🤷‍♂️

Jack :)
Having tried one extensively in the betas, it seems to me they're primarily a big credit sink. There's very little I could do with a Fleet Carrier that I can't do faster/cheaper simply by transferring my ships where I need them. And if I want to explore, it's MUCH easier to just grab my favorite exploration ship and go, without a thought for any refueling costs. It would be nice to have UC nearby wherever I am, but still not worth the expense imo.

If they got rid of upkeep I might consider one, but that's the final nail in the coffin for me - it's not all that much, and I could easily afford enough for a couple years, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

NO.
I see no reason to get one with ships all over the bubble.
Only Old Duck seems to have a real purpose. Ships in the bubble and a small exploration fleet out in the black. That and long range explorers
If FD deigns to let us attack Thargoid bases and home worlds, I'll snatch one up and take the fight to them.
Quid pro quo ya know. :)

Last edited:
I like the idea of a mobile base, but at the same time, hate.

Part of exploring 40k Ly WITHOUT support is what makes it fun.

Doing the same with a mobile star port nearby? Loses some of the feeling of remote isolation.

There is no exploration in going to the next town. People literally go to the remotest parts because they're remote.

The ONLY reason I'm even trying to get enough credits to buy one is for the squadron aspect.

Solo? It's a HELL NO from me.

I can get one end of the bubble to the other in around 10 minutes in any of my ships, so going to my home base isn't an issue to change ships or load-out.

I haven't got one as I genuinely do not like the way they are cluttering up system maps and I feel that carriers epitomize everything the way the game has been dumbed down.
Fly into an unknown system and you can tell the interesting planets by the 10 carriers orbiting it. Plus, why make them indestructible? (but ask for an all in one limpet printer and I'm asked if I want a big 'I Win!' button on the dashboard)...

I haven't got one 'cause I hate mining so my bank balance (along with some nicely engineered A rated ships) is 50 million (1200 hours played).

There needs to be some possible predation on these ships. Whether by random reactor failure or by pirates causing massive expenses. They just spent 5 to 10 bill but cripes they should be squadron owned and need multiple people to operate them. They are destroying immersion when seemingly every commander owns one

I see a plethora of Fleet Carriers in the game map, I was just wondering how many players don't have one yet, and why.

I've had two FCs one after the other, still can't find a use for them. No good for exploration, don't mine anymore and who wants to spend all their game time hunting for tritium?, no use for cargo missions (not enough missions at any station to warrant the cargo space), useless for passenger missions, and the crappy upkeep cost, even when your not playing!!!. So in my opinion not worth the money or the grind. A Great idea though from FD, just badly implemented. I won't be getting another unless Frontier decide to at least remove upkeep and remove the 15 minute countdown before hyperspace, game time is precious, especially when you don't have a lot of it. I have 30 billion so I could easily buy and maintain it for years, just can't see the point..

Last edited:
I hate mining too. Honest I do. Hate laser mining...drives me nuts. So :p I core mine & subsurface. Laser mine too but only wen I've emptied a subsurface roid.
Takes me longer but makes it bearable.
But carriers are not just about mining.
I'm currently clearing down a 72 pirate wing massacre. X7. Stacked hehe. The carrier makes this soooo easy. Another 200 million banked and not a mining pick in sight plus mats and rep

I hate mining too. Honest I do. Hate laser mining...drives me nuts. So :p I core mine & subsurface. Laser mine too but only wen I've emptied a subsurface roid.
I'm currently clearing down a 72 pirate wing massacre. X7. Stacked hehe. The carrier makes this soooo easy. Another 200 million banked and not a mining pick in sight
Hush you! You'll upset the folk who insist that mining is the only way to make silly amounts of credits :ROFLMAO:
There are other more 'nefarious' uses for FC's too that seem to be overlooked...

I've been playing since GPP on Xbox and still don't have enough cash to purchase one.

Even if I did have enough creds, I only have 3 ships, so its maybe a bit pointless for me to own one.

I grind a faction up and down in a system and have fun with that. Grinding a carrier upkeep game doesn't appeal to me.

I'm currently clearing down a 72 pirate wing massacre. X7. Stacked hehe. The carrier makes this soooo easy. Another 200 million banked and not a mining pick in sight plus mats and rep
That also needs nerfing.

Massacre mission stacking, mining, road to riches and cargo hauling missions[1] are all activities which ruin any logical progression and risk- value proposition in the game.

[1] in that they reward based on cargo value, not volume.

I don't have one.

I can't afford it.

I don't have enough for the initial cost and I'm not hugely happy about that upkeep. People keep saying how little it is but unless you plan on a load of extra mining or even more of something else it isn't sustainable, I like being able to take breaks from the game and I'd be pretty miffed to lose my most valuable asset because I bounced off the game for a few months.

That said I'd really like a garage and a place to dump some cargo so it is very attractive. Been great out exploring and having an FC nearby to use as base.

As someone else said (can't find the quote), fleet carriers have completely ruined system maps in busy places like the CG. Whoever came up with this UI is an amateur. Sad thing is that everyone knows this and have expressed this since the beta days, but like everything else that's half-baked in this game, Frontier just ignores the problem. Who knows if it will ever be fixed!

Top Bottom