Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) Improved Performance?

I don't want to jinx it but if my eyes aren't deceiving me I would say that ED VR is running smoother after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1709!
Less stutter in VR. Is anyone else seeing this?

I don't want to jinx it but if my eyes aren't deceiving me I would say that ED VR is running smoother after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1709!
Less stutter in VR. Is anyone else seeing this?

M$ did say it should improve gaming performance...

lol, they would say that, wouldn't they? :D Every update adds great features and improvements. Except for those that don't, of course. And those they have to roll-back. But anyway... I guess I'll find out shortly.

Didn't notice much difference, but it's not better IMHO. In fact, the Oculus software and ED (started from within it, so not standalone) had problems with exiting the game, but could be that was just a singularity. Anyway, upon exiting, my PC was at the edge of freezing (i7-7700K, 16GB), it took ages to open Task Manager and I had to kill 3 instances of the Rift software + ED until it ran smooth again. Never experienced such a thing before, let's see if this happens again tonight.

ED 2.4 itself is faster/runs smoother in VR, though.

HTH,
[noob]

If you want improved performance, install Windows 7.

Unless Elite starts supporting DX12, you won't see any difference, W10 is a piece of cloud-dependent bloatware.

Windows 7 isn't any faster. Why do you suggest it is?

Because I tried it.
Of course, if you have Ryzen or Coffee lake, you're stuck with 10, but on older hardware it does make a difference.

I've got i5-4590, 8GB RAM and GTX960 4GB, so I struggle with keeping 60FPS in 1080p on Ultra.

I've recently succumbed to the temptation to upgrade, didn't like it and returned to W7, so I have the experience of running the game on completely clean install in both cases.

W7 - 60FPS in space stable, drops to low 50' inside stations and on the surface.
W10 - 50-55 FPS in space, 40' in stations and on the surface with MASSIVE drops to 20' for no apparent reason.

So yeah. Until I upgrade my hardware, I'm sticking with Sevens. ;)

Because I tried it.
Of course, if you have Ryzen or Coffee lake, you're stuck with 10, but on older hardware it does make a difference.

I've got i5-4590, 8GB RAM and GTX960 4GB, so I struggle with keeping 60FPS in 1080p on Ultra.

I've recently succumbed to the temptation to upgrade, didn't like it and returned to W7, so I have the experience of running the game on completely clean install in both cases.

W7 - 60FPS in space stable, drops to low 50' inside stations and on the surface.
W10 - 50-55 FPS in space, 40' in stations and on the surface with MASSIVE drops to 20' for no apparent reason.

So yeah. Until I upgrade my hardware, I'm sticking with Sevens. ;)

Ok, but that's anecdotal rather than anything substantial. I had similar problems recently... Turns out my motherboard was faulty. Replaced it, and all my FPS drops went away. Could be the OS. Probably isn't. :)

Windows 7 isn't any faster. Why do you suggest it is?

Who in their right mind would ever install Windows 7 on a PC these days?

It's the same sort of advice you get when having random rebooting issues, and you get "experts" instantly tell you you have a virus, or you need to re-install your entire system... Meanwhile it's a faulty PSU.

You see it over and over... People seem to love suggesting unfeasibly unrealistic/illogical things to do!

note: It may be different in speed because of other factors to W7 vs W10, and even if it is? Would you still faff about with Windows 7 these days?

Last edited:
Ok, but that's anecdotal rather than anything substantial. I had similar problems recently... Turns out my motherboard was faulty. Replaced it, and all my FPS drops went away. Could be the OS. Probably isn't. :)

Of course, but as the system itself was the only change I've made and the difference is quite noticeable and not just in Elite, anecdotal or not, it's real.
For me, at least. *shruggs*

But you're right I shouldn't have recommended the W7.
So I'm not recommending them. I'm just saying that on my PC, they work much better

Of course, but as the system itself was the only change I've made and the difference is quite noticeable and not just in Elite, anecdotal or not, it's real.
For me, at least. *shruggs*

Could be drivers or anything - at the point you didn't find out what the cause was, it's not fair to blame the OS. However, I'd have probably done exactly the same as you - it took me a week of troubleshooting my PC to find the motherboard issue, and if I could have avoided it I would. Sometimes if a client of mine encounters weird problems I will advise that it would actually be quicker and cheaper to upgrade the PC (when my time for diagnosing the issue is added) - assuming a clean install doesn't resolve the issue.

I'll be getting my son to build a PC this weekend out of my old kit (AMD Phenom with Radeon R9 280), so I'll see if I notice any difference between Windows 7 and 10 on that (though my conclusions will still be anecdotal :) ).

Seeing "windows 10" and "improved" in one sentence makes me giggle on the inside.

Well, considering Microsoft's track record, I'd call that an improvement.

Oh, you're so edgy with your anti-MS quips... you cut me you really do... /s <rolleyes>

Psssst Neil... using M$ as a moniker is a little past it and sad these days.

Last edited:
Psssst Neil... using M$ as a moniker is a little past it and sad these days.

Well, so is using a Windows phone, and I still do that. :D As soon as a decent Android phone (with decent camera and xenon flash) appears, I'll be tempted to upgrade. MS have been going downhill rapidly these past few years, in my opinion. But they've done that before and bounced back...

Top Bottom