Your Neil Armstrong moment is a fade to black teleport outside... surely not?

I'd like it if fdev added a small chance of tripping up as you walk down the ramp, leading to face planting on rock/ice, smashing your visor and doing a deflated balloon dance with the resulting explosive decompression. To the sounds of Space Odyssey by David Bowie.
Can we have this? It's magnificent. Would buy ODY just for that.

I'd like it if fdev added a small chance of tripping up as you walk down the ramp, leading to face planting on rock/ice, smashing your visor and doing a deflated balloon dance with the resulting explosive decompression. To the sounds of Space Odyssey by David Bowie.

Magnificent. Especially on a 2G+ world :ROFLMAO:

That being said, as a minimal feature FDev could fade-transition us into the airlock, instead of out of the ship.
I know it sounds MVP, but that's precisely within FDev reach.

Forget to cycle the airlock, get cannon-balled upon opening the outer door would make for neat fails too XD

Magnificent. Especially on a 2G+ world :ROFLMAO:

That being said, as a minimal feature FDev could fade-transition us into the airlock, instead of out of the ship.
I know it sounds MVP, but that's precisely within FDev reach.

Forget to cycle the airlock, get cannon-balled upon opening the outer door would make for neat fails too XD
We technically see the SRV bay airlock so I don't see why not. I'd absolutely love it if there was a gear station there too, to switch out gear. Doubt we'll get that yet though.

A ship with magical thrusters.
Nearly unlimited fuel.
No orbital mechanics to speak about.

What is this Neil Armstrong moment you talk about?

I'm fine with black screen transitions, it's no giant leap for mankind anyways.

Then people could come on the forums, debating whether the blood splats should be red in non oxygen atmosphere.

After all, if fdev felt natural transitions were needless in general, we'd just be able to dock by getting close to a station, hitting a button, fading to black and... Docked. I personally see very little difference between docking being necessery and physically walking somewhere. If it's possible to smoothly expedite it (ie with the magic turbo lifts we'll get) then cool.
I think I disagree here, as docking has always been a part of the core of Elite. It is a game about space ship piloting after all and there is some skill involved in docking (though far less than it was in the old games). It is not just some fluff, as the weapons animation in the loadout screen. If the docking process was removed, the game would feel much more "arcadey". Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it would not fit the design philosophy.

Fade to black is likely a placeholder. I just cannot see it being the ultimate product. It's obviously a controversial subject. But then so was adding arbitrary 15-60 minute delays to transferring stuff about the galaxy.
The main advantage of computer games and even those on the sim-side is, you can skip time consuming processes, that are required in a real world scenario. So I'd say the fade to black is not a placeholder in all instances.
Only to touch the tranfer time briefly, this delay is aligned within the established rules of this game world. Also having no delay at all could have negative consequences and would definately impact how the game is play. My combat ships for instance would probably only have a 2D FSD, because I'd have no need to travel in them. I would make ED more "arcadey".

I think I disagree here, as docking has always been a part of the core of Elite. It is a game about space ship piloting after all and there is some skill involved in docking (though far less than it was in the old games). It is not just some fluff, as the weapons animation in the loadout screen. If the docking process was removed, the game would feel much more "arcadey". Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it would not fit the design philosophy.

The main advantage of computer games and even those on the sim-side is, you can skip time consuming processes, that are required in a real world scenario. So I'd say the fade to black is not a placeholder in all instances.
Only to touch the tranfer time briefly, this delay is aligned within the established rules of this game world. Also having no delay at all could have negative consequences and would definately impact how the game is play. My combat ships for instance would probably only have a 2D FSD, because I'd have no need to travel in them. I would make ED more "arcadey".
Walking about hasn't been a core part of the game at all and yet here we are :)

I said fade to black is a placeholder because Braben said they want us to walk around our ships eventually (can get the video for you but I'm sure you've seen it).

I'm pretty sure it'll happen eventually. So I very much see fading to black as a transitional placeholder until that day comes. Whether they'll still let us skip interiors because people get antsy about the extra few seconds is open for debate. I just think it's hard to argue that ship interiors won't happen. So... At some point fade to black will be replaced by actually walking about.

It's possible fdev will decide to never do ship interiors, of course. But there's no evidence of it yet and only evidence they'd like to do it so...

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
Walking about hasn't been a core part of the game at all and yet here we are :)

I said fade to black is a placeholder because Braben said they want us to walk around our ships eventually (can get the video for you but I'm sure you've seen it).

I'm pretty sure it'll happen eventually. So I very much see fading to black as a transitional placeholder until that day comes. Whether they'll still let us skip it because people get antsy about it is open for debate. I just think it's hard to argue that ship interiors won't happen. So... At some point fade to black will be replaced.
Big agree.

Now don't get me wrong. I often say "assume it will never happen". I only say this because it is very wise to expect worst-case in gaming. Especially MMOs.

That doesn't mean I think it will never happen. But I am prepared for that reality. If I am proven wrong, well, good.

ED is frankly notorious for placeholders. They're everywhere.

Yet again, people here are seeing something like this as "The Last Update", when we already know this is far from the case.

Changes and additions will be made post-launch. Many people need to calm down.

My name is Un1k0rn, former reactionary poster and now 2020-induced chill dude.

I'm still waiting for the dreaded holo-me lore to return

I never understood why that even is a thing to begin with. This is supposed to be the 34th century, I would expect people to change face and gender as easily as their clothes with the tech available in such a far future, no need to "explain" anything with holograms that would be much more plausible without them.

They said nothing about two-wheeled SRVs, so I doubt it's happening.
You mean motorbikes? And black leather jackets with skull and crossbones on the back?
If the transition is putting you just outside the outer door and on top of the stairs - you will have your Neil Armstrong Moment.
And i pretty much prefer it like this than if i would have run through the ship internals for 1-2 minute before reaching the hatch
I'd prefer to be just inside the door so you have the option to change your mind, turn and push the open button of the inner airlock door, but yes, this. Since internal modules will be switchable and movable, that aspect might be difficult to do visually. But fading from the seat to just inside the airlock would be acceptable (for me, anyway). The other players (if there are others in sight of you) should see you come out the door, not "teleport" outside the door. Not unless we have a transporter system coming up.

We don't have a transporter system coming up, do we? No? Good.

I know I'm late to the circus, but, the truth is, there will be no Neil Armstrong moment.

Armstrong's Glory wasn't that he set foot on the moon first, it was that he'd done something no one else had ever done. The player base, on the other had, can't even claim that this is the first time setting down on the dirt. I've left my dirty little tracks on hundreds of moons, both ship and SRV; my boots, meh, just another couple of insignificant imprints in the soil, quickly made, just as quickly forgotten.

Finding my first ELW out in the void, that had a personal value. Tramping around another "ball of dust, underneath my feet, It rolls around the sun", it doesn't mean that much to me.

All these posts are relevant at some point. My position is to NEVER Ever, ever, Evverrr...STOP hara...suggesting frontier add interiors yesterday!
Wont be complete until interiors are part of the anatomical structure of elite. I cannot relent, I will not relent. This cause is bigger than me and in order for me to be happy it must be...and nothing is more important than me being happy! So....
Drevil_million_dollars.jpg
To help this along I'll invest million credits!

Top Bottom