Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I discovered a weakness in my build.

I tried out an AX Combat Zone (low intensity) and was doing OK until an Interceptor came after me.

I successfully negated the shutdown field (yay), but he was still shooting at me as I tried to escape.

Then I got the "low power, modules disabled" message and my darn Thrusters went offline. I was a sitting duck then, could not boost away.

After analyzing the situation, I discovered that my power priorities were NOT enough to keep my power needs under 40% if my power plant was being hit (when your PP is hit you lose power for a bit, but it never goes lower than 40%). So when the power temporarily fell below that I was dead in the water for a while...long enough that the Interceptor was able to catch me and finish me off.

Sooo...I tried this way and that and the only way I can get my power needs below 40% and prevent that problem again is by removing the 2D Guardian Hull Reinforcement (or switching one of the Guardian ones for a regular one). You cannot set priorities on the Guardian Hull Reinforcements, they are always on.

Live and learn, as they say.

I also found out that you don't lose your Combat bonds when you're destroyed. Silver lining, I guess.
I've notice today Interceptors are getting good at targeting power plants.... boom!

In my limited experience with this game, just about everything wrong about it I've ever seen was on Reddit. It is THE source of misinformation. About most things, actually.
I feel the same way about finding ELW's (not trying to steal your thunder), I've been playing for 5,000 hours now and 3/4 of that has been in exploration. I stumbled on a way to find these on my first trip to Colonia finding 35 ELW's in that one trip, now I'm getting close to 90. But nobody listens to the new guy, being stereo typed can be an advantage.

I forgot to post a screenshot of today's adventure. :p

Screenshot 2022-12-06 115523.jpg

Had a chance to test out the new Challenger build.

Woo hoo! It was like night and day!

Thanks @Marvin the Martian for your advice on this! My build is very similar to yours, now. Those Guardian Hull Reinforcements are way better than the Grade 4 regular ones I had in there before.

Caustic damage? It was minimal. The beams kept my heat down, and overall the ship performed extremely well.

I was fighting at a planetary port, which was unfortunately in the dark. Hitting the ground was my biggest fear :)

I fought for maybe a half hour, then had to log. I made 2.7 million in combat bonds. I'm not sure how many scouts that was. Maybe a dozen?

An interceptor showed up and that's when I decided to take a rest. I heard the "Surge detected" warning and attempted to use my Shutdown Field Neutralizer, but I kinda fumbled with the fire groups. I did hit it, eventually, but I'm not sure what it did. Maybe I was in time, because I didn't get shut down. I might have just been far enough away.

This is the build I have so far, modeled after Marvin's build. I used a shield I already had, and some other stuff too, but I came pretty close to what he has. It seems to work.

Now it's up to me to gain experience. I was flailing around a lot.

View attachment 336132
Damn you, now I might have to build one of these.

My "official AXI Scout Krait Build™" does the job, but this thing looks like a monster. I've been curious too as to why the meta-alloy hull reinforcements don't get used much. So deffo having a lash off this now, especially since I've got a Challenger lurking about in my carrier's belly gathering dust.

Looking forward to the newer multis too, ideally gimbaled ones. Might actually be effective rather than having to switch to Guardian bits when the big caustic cabbages show up.

Damn you, now I might have to build one of these.

My "official AXI Scout Krait Build™" does the job, but this thing looks like a monster. I've been curious too as to why the meta-alloy hull reinforcements don't get used much. So deffo having a lash off this now, especially since I've got a Challenger lurking about in my carrier's belly gathering dust.

Looking forward to the newer multis too, ideally gimbaled ones. Might actually be effective rather than having to switch to Guardian bits when the big caustic cabbages show up.
If you want to go kill some Scouts with ruthless efficiency, a Challenger or Chieftain is the way. Guardian Hull Reinforcements are very good here and you should not copy me and do this shieldless. A shield is better and with decontamination limpets. I'm just experimenting to see how good I can make a shieldless build and being a bit obstinate because I wish the Chieftains shields are better than they are. I also like to keep fighting while heat gets rid of caustic contamination. But I'm pretty sure these choices mean I have to withdraw from the battle for repairs sooner.

These ships are a marvel when it comes to keeping guns on target.

Oh and here's my updated build, with power usage changed so that I won't be left without thrusters again :p

I haven't flown it yet, though. It has less caustic resistance than the previous build, obviously. Hopefully it's still enough. :)
I've just grade 5 armoured my power plant giving it 273 integrity and put 2 x 4D module reinforcements back in. There is nothing I can do to keep essential modules inside the 40% bracket, but even shieldless, it takes an Interceptor to knock out my power plant. Which has happened. Scouts can only scratch it.

If you want to go kill some Scouts with ruthless efficiency, a Challenger or Chieftain is the way. Guardian Hull Reinforcements are very good here and you should not copy me and do this shieldless. A shield is better and with decontamination limpets. I'm just experimenting to see how good I can make a shieldless build and being a bit obstinate because I wish the Chieftains shields are better than they are. I also like to keep fighting while heat gets rid of caustic contamination. But I'm pretty sure these choices mean I have to withdraw from the battle for repairs sooner.

These ships are a marvel when it comes to keeping guns on target.
To be fair, my Krait does a wonderful job of sending our little octagonal compadrés back to the witchspace in the sky, but unfortunately in the AX scenarios currently, its just a matter of time before one of them calls its dad, at which point the turreted AX multis are like throwing a grape at an elephant. Last night I managed to solo one of the station combat zones in my AXI-approved Krait with the Guardian Gausseseseseseseseses, and slowly got to grips with taking out scouts with fixed weapons, and also had the firepower to deal with the various Cyclops that showed up.

Then two Hydras showed up, and I legged it.

I actually did try it, on this same Challenger. It was interesting in that pip management became simpler. I didn't do too well with it.
The argument is that shields are pointless against interceptors (though not Thargon swarms) since their damage just says "Haha" and breaches them, but I still cling lovingly to mine, like a warm and soft security blanket!

I've just grade 5 armoured my power plant giving it 273 integrity and put 2 x 4D module reinforcements back in. There is nothing I can do to keep essential modules inside the 40% bracket, but even shieldless, it takes an Interceptor to knock out my power plant. Which has happened. Scouts can only scratch it.
Interesting. Why do you have stuff like the Docking Computer and Supercruise assist at the top priority? That seems backwards to me. I'd only put Thrusters and the FSD in there.

Top Bottom