The stuff the Pilot's Federation gives out is woefully lacking in context. Sure, you can find that trade post to sell your cargo, just don't think the Elite Pilots' Federation is giving up any of their power.
-and at the same time the entry on raxxla in the codex is to be taken very literal wrt clues.
Agree on them not seceding power.

It is a bit interesting it was said that anymore clues and it would be a spoiler.

Last edited:
My recent investigations into the gates of hell and the path of Jacques, has me again thinking; way back to Michael’s commissioned Saxon shield and its potential allegorical links to Paradise Lost.

The design depicts a halo’ed Michael with a heavenly gate in the background; a raven with a smouldering eye watches over them.

I do believe that such pictorial metaphors were evidence of Brookes intentionally albeit clandestine hints - outside of the game. I’ve come to believe this is so due to his Drabbles, being within close relation in context to a wider cosmological construct.

This shield image for me depicts the same design as for his book cover, an archangel fighting serpents outside the gates of heaven (again some unknown figure holding smoke in the background). And I duly suspect these do depict a location in game.

Over the past few years my investigations I believe have identified a design and meaning to the location of hundreds of systems in the bubble. I strongly believe Brookes did write his ‘unpublished book’ but he applied it as an architecture in the game, I believe this was done without the knowledge of FD, and it’s original intention was to act as an architecture for an archived narrative; parts of it likely still exist and probably are in use, but at most I feel these are foundations.

Likewise I feel the location of Raxxla is described in the Codex, and it is this architecture which it alludes to.

Given the Saxxon/Celtic/Norse references, what else may be interpreted from this sheild design?

I don’t believe, much like with the Codex it’s a direct interpretation, or even depicts a precise location, but rather they all, are pictorial metaphors whose references outline various applicably named systems spread over a relative large area, but when viewed together identify some path, direction or fulcrum.

I’m somewhat confident such a location is very close to being around a sphere of influence close to Shamash / Helios / Olorun / Fall / Sheela na Gig, as these all conveniently located around a hypothetical area of heaven.

Presently I’m too close to the data seeing everything factually, needing some time away to help see the wider abstraction, to look for some other interpretations. My only doubts are that said allegory, although potentially correct may relate to an opposing location, but I feel we’ve draw the are for investigation towards a focal point where if one assessment fails to yield results the other ought to follow to be accurate.

I believe we are incredibly close. My only hope is FD has not locked this behind some narrative gate. But I’m confident that if they have, we already have those keys, and this insight rankles them somewhat, which if narrative is payment due in my opinion.

IMG_9134.jpeg

Cultural_depictions_of_ravens

Last edited:
when looking at the vesper system and their transport faction (resembling) i noticed nearby system seemingly (possible shibboleth?) named after a japanese folk dragon princess from the undersea castle. system also has native npc anarchy dragon faction and an asteroid base.
ive also noticed system with native npc faction sisterhood of the hunt, outpost artemis' nest and ground port hunters prospect.
thought might be worth noting as artemis and snakes/dragons are such an insignificant characters... :p

Last edited:
In relation to the above discovery, which I refer to as the "D7 Anomaly". I've been doing some stuff. Posting here with D7's permission.

I took many recordings of Hyperspace from the bubble all the way to the centre of the Galaxy:
  • So far I've found no significant variation (i.e. it doesn't get weaker or stronger that I can see anywhere along that route).
  • Location may cause it to vary, it's just I haven't found any variation myself in the limited testing I've done.
I then took the cleanest image of it I could get by fiddling with spectrogram settings into krita (photoshop-like software) and adjusted the levels and contrast to bring out the shape a lot more. I then use a partial opacity eraser to knock back the background to bring out the shape.

This image isn't me drawing over the shape, this is the actual shape that's present, it's just enhanced to make it easier to see. I encourage anyone to do this (Krita is free).
  • The version on the LEFT I've over-cleaned it a little to bring out the outlines more.
  • The version on the RIGHT I've only cleaned outside the outer outline, and I added the circle back in by hand because I'm about 80% sure I could see it on the raw images.
View attachment 382151View attachment 382152
You'll notice on both of these there appears to be something sticking out of the bottom right of the shape, a long thin double line with what might be a circle on the end, and possibly something similar on the left corner too. I only noticed after making these images (I did this a few days ago and have had more time to look at them!). So there might be more to it that I was too heavy-handed on erasing in the original pass, I will continue to attempt to get better versions.

As always, I would encourage people to try this for themselves. To investigate this yourself all you need is Audacity to see it. Krita, or photoshop, or similar helps for making the spectrograms more visible, it is a small shape. There are no special conditions; it appears in every hyperspace jump I've recorded, it can be hard to spot but D7 highlighted where it appears - it always appears in the same place - once you see it it's hard not to see it :)

This artefact is also directional:

If you record while facing forward (the default position), the D7 artefact only appears in the LEFT channel audio.
For reasons I won't go into now (still testing), I started recording while looking in other directions:
  • Looking all the way LEFT while recording in Hyperspace makes the D7 anomaly appear in the RIGHT channel.
  • Looking all the way RIGHT while recording in Hyperspace makes the D7 anomaly appear in the LEFT channel exactly the same as looking forward.
Conclusion: The audio source that makes this shape is coming from somewhere on the LEFT side FORWARD of the ship.

After a little testing I found that looking about 45 degrees LEFT while in Hyperspace gets the D7 anomaly to appear in both LEFT and RIGHT channels equally, implying that (For whatever reason) the audio originates from that direction in Hyperspace. There might be an up/down component to it too, but I can't really think of a way to test that.

It has existed for at lest 7 years:​

Using youtube recordings of other people's hyperspace jumps I have confirmed it exists in recordings from as far back as 2017, possibly further. It gets clearer and easier to see post-Odyssey when the Hyperspace graphics were changed (actually it was more that stuff was removed).

Theories:​

I have no idea what this is, what it means, or even if it means anything. It may well be a developer joke for all I can tell. What I can say fairly certainly is that it's not random noise or Pareidolia; This shape does exist in all audio recordings of hyperspace, as first identified by @D7 in the post above.

The area it appears in is the block of sound that can be described as "whispers". I believe this is directly related to the Raxxla Codex clue: "To the whisperer in witch-space...", but... I don't know what it means even if it really is that connection?

Ive been playing a little with this - but im having trouble seeing it. There is a spot that i think is it… but want to know if you can give a relative time stamp or show the area within a full jump. I will have to play around with moving my head around too i guess. - ive been doing recordings as i make my way slowly towards SagA. Just passed Thors Eye.

Ive been playing a little with this - but im having trouble seeing it. There is a spot that i think is it… but want to know if you can give a relative time stamp or show the area within a full jump. I will have to play around with moving my head around too i guess. - ive been doing recordings as i make my way slowly towards SagA. Just passed Thors Eye.
The post that I replied to was D7's original post, in that there's an image that shows exactly where it appears in the recording of a hyperspace jump. It's always in the same place on every jump (that I've so far checked), so once you see it you'll fin it easy to spot.

Since my vacation started with a 10-hour long flight across the ocean, I took the opportunity to read Reclamation at last.

Throughout Salome's journey, her companions Hassan and Space Mario Luko talk often about the Frontier, i.e. the edge of the Bubble. Another frontier comes up during Halsey's disappearance, as she was touring the Federal borderlands whose rebellions dominated early GalNet alongside the Emperor Hengist succession shenanigans.

If the Bubble was designed as an abstraction of Milton's cosmos, said lands are not a bad candidate for Chaos... with Federal space representing the visible universe, perhaps?

Here is my spectrogram of a hyperspace jump taken using camera view. The scale at the top (0.0, 1.0, 2.0, ...) are the seconds into the jump. Circled in green at about 4.5 seconds is the sound of a "whisper" and on the spectrogram you see a triangle with a circle inside and etc.. This is a rough finding while Louis Calvert did a more comprehensive study to clean out other interference and draw out more of the image. At 11.5 seconds in there is a repeat of this pattern but it's a little harder to see on this copy-past image. Both are easier to see in the actual Audacity software. Please note the spectrogram settings panel I overlay-ed at the bottom right. I used these settings to create this spectrogram. Note sure what or if this image has meaning but some say it is unlikely to be found naturally in sound recordings.

Regards - D7

1707246590868.png

Thanks to both of you. Ya ive decided to make a trip to the center focusing on listening to witchspace sounds - and see what comes of it. The thing you found is interesting - i will have to play with my spectogram some more and test different ways to “listen”. Thanks again!

Since my vacation started with a 10-hour long flight across the ocean, I took the opportunity to read Reclamation at last.

Throughout Salome's journey, her companions Hassan and Space Mario Luko talk often about the Frontier, i.e. the edge of the Bubble. Another frontier comes up during Halsey's disappearance, as she was touring the Federal borderlands whose rebellions dominated early GalNet alongside the Emperor Hengist succession shenanigans.

If the Bubble was designed as an abstraction of Milton's cosmos, said lands are not a bad candidate for Chaos... with Federal space representing the visible universe, perhaps?
However Drew Wagar said several times that neither he nor the other book authors knew anything about Raxxla. So if you accept the hypothesis that MB located Raxxla based on the Miltonian mythology then it follows that this description of the frontier was just Drew's storytelling and not related to Raxxla, or that MB influenced Drew to describe it in that way. And I think Drew is intelligent enough to see any such manipulation and pursue it...so I suspect the description is just coincidence based on how a frontier bubble would operate- think of the old American Wild West cowboy tales, or more appropriately watch Firefly (one of the best sci-fi series ever made and cut short disastrously early, as was Dark Matter which was pulled just as the aliens invaded 😱)

The tricky thing with Federal space is that its distribution - even before nine years of Federal factions being crushed in the BGS - was not that concentrated.

Imperial and Alliance systems (especially at the start of the game) were in distinct dense clusters around Achenar, Alioth and to an extent Lave and very rarely found far outside that.
Federal systems were more common around Sol but could be found frequently anywhere in the bubble except the Empire and Alliance cores. The edge of Federal space and the edge of the bubble were almost identical.

While they're not in charge so much nowadays, a look through frontier systems for native Federal factions should still let you approximate the original extent.

(FE2/FFE did have a much stronger distinction between the Federal core around Sol and the largely Independent frontier systems)

However Drew Wagar said several times that neither he nor the other book authors knew anything about Raxxla. So if you accept the hypothesis that MB located Raxxla based on the Miltonian mythology then it follows that this description of the frontier was just Drew's storytelling and not related to Raxxla, or that MB influenced Drew to describe it in that way. And I think Drew is intelligent enough to see any such manipulation and pursue it...so I suspect the description is just coincidence based on how a frontier bubble would operate- think of the old American Wild West cowboy tales, or more appropriately watch Firefly (one of the best sci-fi series ever made and cut short disastrously early, as was Dark Matter which was pulled just as the aliens invaded 😱)
Firefly was a good series. :)

I think it is absolutely out of the question that any of the authors have written hints about Raxxla. They did not have the knowledge and FD was not that deep in the writing process. The only exception is Premonition.
In Premonition FD had the opportunity to give Drew elements that should be included, without necessarily telling him why.

If the release books have anything of value in them, it's because FD have reverse engineered Raxxla to fit the books. Not the other way around.

I also think it's wise not to overestimate the amount of control and time MB had, with regards to the Raxxla mystery. Resources were limited in the period before release. Time was limited and the amount of usable game mechanics were limited. MB would have done little to non of the actual implementation.

Agreed, but if any author gave out clues it was MB- I'm still pondering if Raxxla is in Alliance space -from Legacy:
"As a girl Julia grew up without toys with a single possession, a book “about a young man’s quest to save a princess from an alien dragon” (a clue??) locked alone each day in the tiny family cell while her parents slaved in the mines. She hoped to keep her Eagle as she’d grown accustomed to its idiosyncrasies...”whether it was a suitable ship for travelling all the way to Alliance space (another clue?) was another matter”.

Yep. I think he had something against the Alliance, but how would that have affected the placement of Raxxla?
If Trinkets are the said illegal item then dies anything different happen in Alliance space, since they're (strangely) illegal everywhere.

How does Alliance space fit your Underworld theory?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: D7
Though I do agree the Frontier on the books is not a direct reference, it did put me thinking about the internal frontiers of the bubble - hence the post.

I also started thinking about the Omphalos Rift again - there's quite a few Creation-related stones across mythologies:
  • the Black Stone inside the Kaaba (towards which the daily Islamic prayers are pointed) is mentioned as having fallen from Jannah (the Heaven of Islam) to show Adam and Eve where to build the first temple on Earth
  • the Foundation Stone in Jerusalem is associated with the Holy of Holies and cited on the Talmud as where the world was created from
  • the capstones of Egyptian pyramids were modeled after the benben, the first piece of land to emerge out of the primordial waters

How does Alliance space fit your Underworld theory?

If you draw a line between Alioth and Achenar it goes very close to Sol - although i think Sol is nearer to Alioth than Achenaer so while there is an Axis its not totally symmetrical.

If you want to associate that Axis with heaven and hell…Since Achenar is heavily associated with underworld named systems near it -id put it as Hell. And by sake of the line - Alioth fits as the Heavens? With good ole Sol being itself… humanities little garden.

Top Bottom