Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Sally departing from Moore's Charm, Luchtaine, in her trusty Anaconda Felicette (named after the first cat in space) .

View attachment 390786
And amongst all the, erm, impassioned debate about the Python MkII release, found myself wondering: will it be available in Colonia? After all, it's been nearly a month since the SCO FSD came out and still no sign of it here... ;)
That's my old hangout, there's a hazardous extraction site in that ring system that I loved to pillage and mop the floor with Brian's Thugs, great fun.

I don't know where I was reading about it many moons ago but I didn't realise how handy the K-warrant scanner could be in combat until I got the Krait II up and running. There does seem to be quite a significant increase in your potential bounty haul. It's just fiddly to mess with. First you're in analysis mode, then you're scanning for 63 years, then you're in combat mode and finally messing about with your fire groups. Fortunately though, most ships don't seem to immdeiately attack after interdiction. There's a couple that have made me nervous though as I watched my shields melt during a scan.

I also decided to ditch some cargo space so I could get a fighter hanger and try hiring a crewmember. I'm not sure if I did that last time. She's was just harmless and will only ever take 2% of my earnings so the cost isn't that big of a deal. I just feel like it improves the gameplay a little overall. Particularly if you're away from the bubble.

Last edited:
Just read @Paul_Crowther 's post on upcoming stuff. Interesting times ahead!
I do think pre-built ships are a decent compromise in concept, for both new and old players who may be way behind in certain areas of gameplay. It may encourage people to try different game styles and ships at the same time. It also doesn't nullify the effort older players have put into engineering and building a fleet.

Personally speaking, I'd always prefer a ship I've built from the ground up, but it's also nice to have the option of a stop gap to try new things out.

I do think pre-built ships are a decent compromise in concept, for both new and old players who may be way behind in certain areas of gameplay. It may encourage people to try different game styles and ships at the same time. It also doesn't nullify the effort older players have put into engineering and building a fleet.

Personally speaking, I'd always prefer a ship I've built from the ground up, but it's also nice to have the option of a stop gap to try new things out.
I'm not sure about how I feel about it, really.

Although I do think the AX ready Chieftain could be a boon for me so I don't have to go through an incessant grind * to build one. Thing is, the 'Goid war might well be over before the ship comes out :D

* He said, after grinding loads or personal weapons and suits and is still grinding ground CZ's. Mind you, while getting the equipment was a bit grindy, I'm enjoying the ground the ground combat: the weapon swap is now second nature as I've taught Thumb Muscle to respond to the game without passing through Brain :D

It is nuts.

An 18 probe target is smaller than many gas giants I have mapped, they were commonly in the 20-22 probe target range.
At ~58 Earth masses it is a bit smaller than Saturn.
Mine's literally nuts🤭
I havent scanned a lot of gas giants yet, but I hope I'll find some like yours when I'll go for real exploration some day.

There even exists a pre-engineered version of it. I have one on the Star Moth. (Note: This is not my current setup, as I don't have access to Guardian tech, yet.)
The DSS can be engineered to increase its scan radius by up to 50% or There is a pre-engineered one you can get from Tech Traders that has an even bigger increase.
Thanks for the tips, I'm adding this to my wishlist👍

My copilot Milagros and Penny waiting for some pirate to crack wise at the compromised navigation party
rS0wnWX.jpg

We got the big rig repainted. I think we will paint DUNCAN AND NOON on it, too
1j0lHiwh.jpg

She refuses to actually sit in a seat in the cabin though, easy to forget she's around. Good thing we have infinite scanner probes I'm going to be hammering this for awhile duncan!
P70NvKkh.jpg

Bought a cheap Eagle as a local transportation so I can visit stores settlements without risking my old rig. Never tried this small ship before, she is really fun to move around, but I have to say this particular cockpit gives your selfies a bit of a "Sith Lord admonishing their subordinates" drama!
dvdr.jpg

chk.jpg

I may be wrong, but it seems only certain systems are subject to having ground CZ's. Every time I go looking for one, it seems to one I've been to in the past.
Well there are only about 20,000 inhabited systems and you do go in for ground CZs quite a lot so is it that surprising that you have visited them all.

Of course with even fewer settlement types they are going to feel similar much sooner.

I found what I think is one of the strangest planets yet, it's actually a moon that is considered a metal-rich planet, I landed for Mercury and Zirconium and was blown away by what I found. In the first screen shot I'm heading to the tiny orange dot to the right of the Gas Giants rings, the other moon is a ringed high metal content world.
989845.jpg

As I was descending, I started to notice these mounds all over the surface and each one had a hole in the center like a volcano, as I got lower, I noticed they were much larger.
989846.jpg

In this shot from my SRV you can make out the holes in the center of each mountain, I tried driving towards one but they're a long way off. I've never seen anything like this, I'm sure others have.
989847.jpg

Just read @Paul_Crowther 's post on upcoming stuff. Interesting times ahead!
Well, it doesn't affect me directly, but I'm generally against selling anything other than cosmetics for real-world cash. It's a slippery slope, and apparently Elite is headed down it.

Ah well. You can't take my memories of the joy I had building up my fleet away from me. Actually I kinda want to start a new CMDR again. Hmm.

I may be wrong, but it seems only certain systems are subject to having ground CZ's. Every time I go looking for one, it seems to one I've been to in the past.
Maybe the current mechanism for determining these things means you do get areas where it's a lot more likely, because of how PP/BGS happens to be around that system? It feels like a system that's been at peace for a long time might be metastable and not very likely to suddenly descend into six different border conflicts.

(Note, if anyone wants to turn that thought into an interminable discussion on BGS please go and do it on one of the 27 new threads that are all on fire)

Well, it doesn't affect me directly, but I'm generally against selling anything other than cosmetics for real-world cash. It's a slippery slope, and apparently Elite is headed down it.

Ah well. You can't take my memories of the joy I had building up my fleet away from me. Actually I kinda want to start a new CMDR again. Hmm.
That stuff is to lure in those that usually don't have the patience to slowly work their way into a game.

And, from what I've seen, the prebuilt ships are more like a hint on what is possible in the game without giving away too much.
Comments about the AX Chieftain contained words like "suicidal", regarding the statement that this should enable you to visit the Titans...
The laser mining T-6, well, it is a ship I would have liked to have when I took my first steps towards mining, as it would have helped me to understand better what I'd need for that task... Although it most likely would have caused me to get frustrated because I wouldn't have had the money to buy it...

To really get somewhere in this game, you still need to go on and further develop these ships with engineering or different modules.

I understand why FDev chose this way, selling copies of the game and cosmetics alone don't produce enough of an income to fund the ongoing development, as we could see by the struggles FDev had to face in reccent times - that blasted pandemic almost everybody already seems to have forgotten didn't help, either.

Top Bottom