UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Two ways to solve this:
1. Start season 1 Elite and log in. The game should ask you or tell you, that you are now back in Orbit.

2. As you can fly inside the planets, approach the surface/roof very carefully. I once was able to get out with careful upwards thrusting. Do it too fast and sour ship might explode. Method 1 might be preferred in a high-rebuy ship...

Method 2 has worked for me before too (haven't had to do it since the beta though).

We don't need any more hints, we need hard work.
Some "Old time" Canonn team may have rage quit..... and some may already be back with new identities as we had to hide them from the Tharogoids;)
We are all Missing something............
in the name of open science which is Canonn policy, Panzer noted something last night that needs further investigation.
When you view a planet in the system map you see it represented as a sphere with squares, longitude and latitude. Easy enough
Zoom out a little and you see "Rings" around the planet
Look closely they are broken rings, and look like "...-----..-----" is Morse encoded in the rings ????
Then rotate and tilt the planet, you can either get rid of the rings OR get loads of rings !!!
Keep following .....
If you get loads of rings and each ring contained Morse for a set of co-ordinates ???????
could this be the key to pin pointing a SSI (Site of Scientific Interest) aka "Barnacles" :eek:
How many rings needed for a fix ? 4 maybe ?
Haw many rings can you get ?
Working in RL today and will be testing theory tonight, In the mean time Sub Commander Outspan should be in game later
and on the hunt, she has a habit of finding things ;):p
Fly safe commanders and fly with Patience...o7

I really don't remember seeing these before!

Screenshot_0038.png

We were over Mia B1 D I think
Maybe check a planet with a "Known" SSI centre the SSI on screen and then see if you get Loads of lines !
o7

EDIT Thanks for info MB

Last edited:
Ok I'm not sure if this is important but I've been having some weird malfunctions aboard ship.

1. A couple of days ago while descending on a POI my controls went very sluggish. Nose started waving around a lot and difficult to keep ship in a straight direction (I've never had this before. There was no deceleration going on at the time)
2. Engines turned themselves off and wouldnt restart. Ended up back in the menu and reloaded.
3. Ship suddenly overheated while at about 5km above planet. No SC charging.

They could all just be random unrelated minor bugs. Mentioning it in case it turns out im not alone.

Ok I'm not sure if this is important but I've been having some weird malfunctions aboard ship.

1. A couple of days ago while descending on a POI my controls went very sluggish. Nose started waving around a lot and difficult to keep ship in a straight direction (I've never had this before. There was no deceleration going on at the time)
2. Engines turned themselves off and wouldnt restart. Ended up back in the menu and reloaded.

They could all just be random unrelated minor bugs. Mentioning it in case it turns out im not alone.

1. might be because of strong gravity, no explanation for the others.

Part of me wants this to be over quickly - not sure how long I can bear to randomly scour planets and investigate POIs with their terrible mechanics.

The other part wants the search to utterly fail so that FD rethink the whole POI nonsense.
It might possibly be the worst mechanism in the game - something that gets harder to find, the closer you are to it!!!

Come on FD:
- new variants of the Surface Discovery Scanner
- use that surface map
- put a version of the Wave Scanner into ships

anything has to be better than disappearing blue circles!!

How about this :

We put a SRV on the roof of a ship and fly it low and slow.

Not as fast as the ship alone but still faster than the SRV alone. And we get to use the scanner.

Still a damn shame our ship don't have scanning gear that existed in 1945 :p

Last edited:
We don't need any more hints, we need hard work.
Some "Old time" Canonn team may have rage quit..... and some may already be back with new identities as we had to hide them from the Tharogoids;)
We are all Missing something............
in the name of open science which is Canonn policy, Panzer noted something last night that needs further investigation.
When you view a planet in the system map you see it represented as a sphere with squares, longitude and latitude. Easy enough
Zoom out a little and you see "Rings" around the planet
Look closely they are broken rings, and look like "...-----..-----" is Morse encoded in the rings ????
Then rotate and tilt the planet, you can either get rid of the rings OR get loads of rings !!!
Keep following .....
If you get loads of rings and each ring contained Morse for a set of co-ordinates ???????
could this be the key to pin pointing a SSI (Site of Scientific Interest) aka "Barnacles" :eek:
How many rings needed for a fix ? 4 maybe ?
Haw many rings can you get ?
Working in RL today and will be testing theory tonight, In the mean time Sub Commander Outspan should be in game later
and on the hunt, she has a habit of finding things ;):p
Fly safe commanders and fly with Patience...o7
That's a very interesting theory! I did always see those lines, and always wondered if they had a purpose, but never found one...

Also, could it be that we are forgetting the basics of the greatness of Elite, listening to it? Has anybody with a good ear been listening to the different systems in the Pleiades to see if one star gave different sounds off itself? And the same with the planets? I fear we are missing some basic hint here...

This is correct.

Michael

Thanks Michael, as always.

On a second note:
This thread is becoming somehow unmanageable...

It took WEEKS to spot the first UA Convoy, and even after the first one was spotted, it still took hundreds of hours for a CMDR to get the chance to see one.
But only very few people remember it.

Random placed, but at a fixed location?

If you go back to the same place, will you find it again?

I understood it to mean some are in fixed locations, as you said, you'll be able to find them when you return at a later time. Others are spawned randomly like normal POI but rarely so provided that you find the planets they can be spawned on, there is a chance one will be right in front of you when you land.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Thanks Michael, as always.

On a second note:
This thread is becoming somehow unmanageable...

It took WEEKS to spot the first UA Convoy, and even after the first one was spotted, it still took hundreds of hours for a CMDR to get the chance to see one.
But only very few people remember it.

As always, I'm out of reps for you so make do with a virtual one!

I've driving from PoI to PoI plenty of times with no CTDs. The only issue I've had was the AMD graphical glitch, which (touch wood) the latest patch seems to have resolved.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm running a Geforce card and I've only had the one CTD after a prolonged driving session. Currently flying my Anaconda around like a helicopter so I can see the ground properly for a bit of variety.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
As already discussed few days ago, I renew my offer to take care of the first post of the new thread.
Even if I'll be AFK for the week end, just let me know in time, and I'll be happy to reserve it, with the promise to keep it updated on a daily basis.

Cheers!

Hello there!

We are a few hundred short still, but I can start the thread setup process. I'll PM you.

For some reason I can't access the latest page of the thread, it keeps skipping back to page 627?

Only managed to get on here by posting this message, strange.

Thanks MB for the final clarification!
I think I'm going to sit this out for a while and do something else, my eyes are sore from all the planet scouring yesterday and I ceased to find it any fun towards the end. Going to get up some ranks with the Federation, cause some mischief around Sol and then return to it. Unfortunately it means my Strange Alloys mission will run out but that can't be helped.

Last edited:
Please remember: not finding something is not proof that it doesn't exist, especially when we're not entirely sure the best way to detect them in the first place. So no system can be ruled out - especially not after 16 hours!

This is exactly the defense mechanism i would anticipate for a Barnacle POI area to prevent airborne attack, do you remember where you were?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom