UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Nope, the orbital inclination is ~75 degrees. 138 degrees is the longitude of periapsis, i.e. what point in it's orbit it is closest to the star.

Given that M5C is an almost perfectly circular orbit (0.00000 I think) this point is fairly arbitrary.

Speaking of orbital mechanics, people have been talking a bit about tidal locking, but even though M5c is tidally locked to M5, given that there is an axial tilt of some 15 degrees, I suspect that M5 does move in the sky of M5c, oscillating back and forth by 30 degrees each "year/day". I'm not sure at what orbital phase the rotational axis lies in the plane of the orbit, as I don't think this info is in the system map.

Is that a 30 degree arc in the bottom left quadrant of the image?

I dont have photoshop handy right now, but it looks almost exactly like this:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/94fdd158-4052-45f2-ae15-a8551d9cc92e.jpeg

NVM, saw the soundcloud link in the original and just snagged it. From what I can tell it just re-orders the jigsaw pieces into new and confusing ways.

That's the point innit? From the moment I saw the Spectrogram, I saw there was something there. You don't just put 1.5 seconds of precisely timed static into an audio file that follows for 10 seconds unless you want to highlight something.

Its the same way in real life whereas SETI must give an indication at the start of the message that it is intelligent. The value of Hydrogen perhaps. The rest of the message is cued on that. Anyhow. each to their own, and that is my interpretation of the process. I will keep on going and hopefully did more answers or questions up.

Which do you mean when you say original sound, there's been quite a few recordings?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

As Riz is on holiday I guess it'll be the Big Z.

Original sound is audio sample of artifact contact sound in game. I think low frequencies contain speech, if you transpose (not pitch) audio.

Last edited:
I was just looking at those bars again and wondered if they could represent planetary rings or something. I've had a look at the Merope system map and the first planet has four moons - first block is four bars. Second planet has again four moons, and the corresponding bars = four. Then we have the circle symbols etc (3rd planet). Idea goes wonky then on :(

I did not see your reply before.
The idea is good, the low number bars might actually indicate something along these lines rather than a code. Very good point!

Has anyone looked to see that is there any 6502/6512 or Z80 assembly language program hidden in this transmission?
as Elite was originally came out on the BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum.

Anyway programmers do have a sense of humour, I could see them doing this.
You will find this funny if you are a programmer.

How many programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
None
It's a hardware problem!

i tried to load the data file with an hex editor
then i examined it a bit: i didn't notice anything of ''unusual'' or strange.

maybe if someone else wanna take a look..

And i need a overlay with the egg..

Orions belt stars are all on the border with the locked col70 sector.. and Orions bow got 4 stars in it all starting with Pi. Pi 1,2,3 and 4..

I know its far fetched, but not half as far as what some are trying to do here.. My photoshops skills are not good enough..

http://imgur.com/a/vsuoF

drudYS2.png

Last edited:
Have we considered the possibility of an "intercept" of some sort?

It just crossed my mind that the asteroid Ceres came about after the Italian astronomer GiuseppePiazzi published a potential path for the object in 1801.

This was found using the method of least squares: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_squares

If these are indeed probes then probably we're doing this a bit backwards.

The probes didn't just materialize out of thin air (even though they do). A probe that has never moved from its construction site would be a very interesting probe indeed! So... unless we're dealing with some kind of meta technology that's the ultimate Solid State Drive these probes are coming from somewhere and going to somewhere. That or they form a network of deployed comms buoys which relate near-real-time signals of something about something to something somewhere else. This constitutes a known-unknown. This should constitute new areas for forming hypothesis and testing.

Last edited:
Axial tilt is the relationship between Merope 5c's axis and its orbital plane around Merope 5.
Periapsis is measured using a relationship between the two orbital planes isn't it?

The axis isn't going to work in the same way as Earth because of the tidal locking.

As far as I can see, the Argument of Periapsis is measured in the orbital plane of the planet(M5c), from the point where the two planes intersect. It is only a point on the orbit.

Rotation or tidal lock, does not matter for this angle.

It gets more tricky if we chose M5C to be the center planet and M5 to be the orbiting planet. Then we have to project the AoP angle on M5c equatoial plane, using the orbital inclination.

This is hove we do it on earth, with the Sun. It might be required to ensure 0deg elevation at 0deg true anomaly?

TBH part of me wondrs if we truly want to find the makers.. other have said it but stop and think. these guys send out probes and they aren't exactly really saying 'hey this is home'.. they send out Space Tiberium.. and that is basically what it apperas the Barnacles are.. they are harvesting metal rich planets until they are ready to be harvested when the barnacles 'sprout' as meta alloys.. For all we know we culd be harvesting their young..

Great lot of people we are right?

At the same time there are those sitings of unknown ships.. we have the Fed's going nuts over these things.. and we have the Imperials ready to go to war over it as well.. We have a president swearing we are being manipulated by 'higher dimensional life forms'.. err ex president.. you ask me nuke everything and run in the other direction :p Jaques Stations looking nicer by the minute ;) Except I've dedicated way to much time to the Feds.. even if they aren't the shinning ideal we some times wish they where.

Just to show you guys im serious about this. If you have knowledge of this subject... you will simply see what I am doing.

QEqiyPI.jpg

As far as I can see, the Argument of Periapsis is measured in the orbital plane of the planet(M5c), from the point where the two planes intersect. It is only a point on the orbit.

Rotation or tidal lock, does not matter for this angle.

It gets more tricky if we chose M5C to be the center planet and M5 to be the orbiting planet. Then we have to project the AoP angle on M5c equatoial plane, using the orbital inclination.

This is hove we do it on earth, with the Sun. It might be required to ensure 0deg elevation at 0deg true anomaly?

I think that the AoP for a circular orbit is pretty arbitrary and doesn't make any significant effect on any observable parameters, unless something else is defined to be zero when the planet passes through periapsis.

I'm a bit tired to think now, but I'm sat on latitude +90. I'm not sure why +90 is south, but my compass definitely points to 180 at this pole, so let's call it the south pole for now. If I move a little off the pole in the direction of longitude 0, I find that M5 is at about 112 degrees from north. It is about 10 degrees below the artificial horizon.

If the axial tilt was zero, then M5 would be exactly on the horizon at all times. Since it is 15 degrees, I think it will oscillate between +15 and -15 as the day/year progresses. The longitude should remain the same.

I don't think I've learned anything new here.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom