Utility ship

To get past the problem of completing missions for outposts in large ships, I was thinking about the possibility of a utility ship which docks inside the larger ships. This ship could be used to transport goods from ship to station, even picking up ammo or fuel.
With the help of my 6 year old son we have built a model.

https://youtu.be/dUM1UTjYLa4

Sorry about the poor camera work.
Ps a scout walker and the Millennium Falcon were harmed in the making of this ship.

To get past the problem of completing missions for outposts in large ships, I was thinking about the possibility of a utility ship which docks inside the larger ships. This ship could be used to transport goods from ship to station, even picking up ammo or fuel.

Ps a scout walker and the Millennium Falcon were harmed in the making of this ship.

Awesome model but too big and too long edge for a utility ship. I like the idea.

More like the way Moya grew transport pods in Farscape I'm thinking - given the Leviathans were generally too large for many places and preferred to spend their time in space.

It's a nice idea in terms of realism but I think it might conflict with some of the things ED does deliberately.

There are places where you can only go in, say, a Python and nothing bigger.
If you could just rock-up in an Annie and deploy a utility ship, it might interfere with the way FDev want things to be.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the "utility ship" was just some kind of cargo SLF, with space for, say, 4 units of cargo.
That'd be enough so that you could use it to turn-in data-delivery missions and salvage missions without allowing people (unless they were really, really, tenacious) to buy heaps of stuff from places where big ships aren't supposed to go.

It's a nice idea in terms of realism but I think it might conflict with some of the things ED does deliberately.

There are places where you can only go in, say, a Python and nothing bigger.
If you could just rock-up in an Annie and deploy a utility ship, it might interfere with the way FDev want things to be.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the "utility ship" was just some kind of cargo SLF, with space for, say, 4 units of cargo.
That'd be enough so that you could use it to turn-in data-delivery missions and salvage missions without allowing people (unless they were really, really, tenacious) to buy heaps of stuff from places where big ships aren't supposed to go.

I agree. The different sizes of ships and outposts/stations exist for a reason (gameplay). A simpler option would be just to give outposts a large pad - but that doesn't really help the gameplay...

Right now I keep a Python at one of my favorite extraction/transport stations cause sometimes I see some pretty high cargo payouts (9M) which can only be completed with a Medium size ship to a nearby outpost in a neighboring system. I also keep a stripped out Cutter there (750T) when I see lots of high paying missions to a neighboring system. Normaly, however, I fly a fully A-Rated Cutter (with SLF) for casually moving 450T at a time...

Ship selection becomes somewhat less of a strategy if you remove these constraints... Less strategy = less game.

If frontiers wanted to let you use outpost with a big ship, they would. But since they didn't, then clearly, they're not meant to be available. So no, I don't like the idea. There should be downsides to using big ships, and not being able to use outposts sounds fair to me.

Top Bottom