Please critique my build: DW2 T9 Miner

Evening everyone.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/type_9_h...mArLEBTAhgcwDZpJFESDKUA&bn=T-9 Distant Worlds

I've never done exploration in any real capacity, and this Distant Worlds trip will be the most long-range endeavor I've ever attempted. I'm deadset on bringing my T9, for many reasons, so don't bother listing the negatives of the ship itself(it can't jump for beans, it can't carry as many internals, turns like a bus, etc). I'm looking for your thoughts/opinions on the fitted modules and the engineering.

I'm already going to rework the armor engineering over to lightweight/heavy duty since it doesn't affect mass. As a dedicated miner for the trip, I'm bringing the full suite of mining gear, as well as both hangars to have some fun in/material harvesting on the way.

Let me know if there are any major improvements, things I'm missing, module size swaps you might recommend, engineering changes you would like to see, etc. So far, I feel like I can't sacrifice a slot for the guardian FSD booster, and haven't even started the guardian grind yet, so guardian/powerplay stuff is a no-go.

I hope to see you all out there!

Last edited:
A few things:

D rate the life support: too far from a station to make any difference.

D rate the sensors: it's just extra weight.

If you can afford it, get an 8B fuel scoop - you will be doing a lot of this [yesnod]

Take one heatsink and use synthesis.

Power plant is way oversized - save some weight (consider Armored PP as it will not overheat while scooping)

7A collector limpet controller is very heavy for just one extra limpet - swap to 5A and save weight

MP

A few things:

If you can afford it, get an 8B fuel scoop - you will be doing a lot of this [yesnod]

Power plant is way oversized - save some weight (consider Armored PP as it will not overheat while scooping)

7A collector limpet controller is very heavy for just one extra limpet - swap to 5A and save weight

MP

I have to argue the life support, we'll be running with fuel/repair rats out there and longer life support means a better chance of getting repaired, unless I synth every 5 minutes.

The sensors, correct me if I'm wrong but you want long range on sensors for mining, to detect prospectors and motherlodes at distance, correct? Or are the sensors only for detecting ships/loot/radar range?

The fuel scoop I've got is pretty quick, and the 8B takes more juice, but I'll def check it out.

I wasn't sure on the heat sinks either but they're low power and engineered for mass, but I'm totally down to dump a couple.

I like the overcharged powerplant for continuous mining lazer usage, and max boost potential, I'll play with it and see if I can downgrade without heat issues.

totally agree on the Collectors, I engineered for lightweight but that thing is still heavy AF for what it does.

Thanks for the tips!
I

I'm assuming you're dead-set on keeping the fighter bay (I woudn't) so here is a build like yours with minimal changes

https://s.orbis.zone/1spu

Note that I put in prismatics, and 2 shield boosters. It is suicide to attempt core mining without them. I left the mining laser (for mats) and subsurface missile (not necessary) just in case you wanted to keep them.

Here is what I would use if I were taking a mining t-9 on dw2.

https://s.orbis.zone/1spw

Note the clean drives to help offset the overcharged powerplant. I would also go without the afmu in favor of the fsd booster, and detatch myself from any desire to take the neutron boosts. The ly gain is minimal for the risk, and at such a low range, the consistent extra 10lys is better in my opinion. I also downgraded the scoop to a 6a, which is a little bit slow, but not so slow that I would have to stop and circle the star for fuel. No fighter bay either, I can multicrew if I get bored, and it is a valuable slot needed for something else. Most importantly though, 512t capacity ftw. In my opinion, anything less then 512 capacity isn't a very viable deep space miner. You'll fill your hold quick, and then would need to drop it off somewhere. Better to have capacity then a better scoop in this case.

I'm assuming you're dead-set on keeping the fighter bay (I woudn't) so here is a build like yours with minimal changes

https://s.orbis.zone/1spu

Note that I put in prismatics, and 2 shield boosters. It is suicide to attempt core mining without them. I left the mining laser (for mats) and subsurface missile (not necessary) just in case you wanted to keep them.

Can't do Prismatics, never unlocked them. I've been mining since the update with bi-weaves and they've worked alright, the standard should do ok. On that topic, you have any idea what damage type you receive from the deep core explosion? It's either blast or kinetic, but I'm not sure which so I wasn't sure what to engi for?

Thanks for the build ideas!

Swap out the 8d scoop for 7b or 7a if you want to afford it.
A rated core isn't really needed for exploration / mining, its a combat thing.
A guardian fsd booster will serve you better than an afmu.

Learn how to fly too, a type-9 requires zeroing your throttle on drop, and only charge up your fsd once the star changes color from red in your radar.

Also the type-9 is the best ship in the game. Think presence.

EDIT: Another option will be just take one srv and get a bigger refinery. Not sure how much mining you're planning on doing or what you're going to be doing with it all once your cargo is full... but maybe.

Also you won't need heat sink launchers if you learn how to fly and dont go near neutron stars.

Last edited:

Note the clean drives to help offset the overcharged powerplant. I would also go without the afmu in favor of the fsd booster, and detatch myself from any desire to take the neutron boosts. The ly gain is minimal for the risk, and at such a low range, the consistent extra 10lys is better in my opinion. I also downgraded the scoop to a 6a, which is a little bit slow, but not so slow that I would have to stop and circle the star for fuel. No fighter bay either, I can multicrew if I get bored, and it is a valuable slot needed for something else. Most importantly though, 512t capacity ftw. In my opinion, anything less then 512 capacity isn't a very viable deep space miner. You'll fill your hold quick, and then would need to drop it off somewhere. Better to have capacity then a better scoop in this case.

Will the clean drives reduce heat generated? And on a 120,000ly journey, rolling without AFMU seems a little suicidal, right?

As for the 512t cargo space: I'm desperate for it, I knew with the CG's going on out there that it's not going to be "spend 3 hours filling your hold with void opals", there's going to be a lot of demand for common mats and as a refinery ship, I'm definitely going to need the cargo room.

Thanks so much for your help!

Swap out the 8d scoop for 7b or 7a if you want to afford it.
A rated core isn't really needed for exploration / mining, its a combat thing.
A guardian fsd booster will serve you better than an afmu.

Learn how to fly too, a type-9 requires zeroing your throttle on drop, and only charge up your fsd once the star changes color from red in your radar.

Also the type-9 is the best ship in the game. Think presence.

I've been flying the 9 for a couple years, that's why I said I couldn't give it up in favor of a better exploration boat, I just can't leave that cockpit view behind and she's too dear to my heart at this point.

I can't believe flying that far without an AFMU is a good idea? Especially with the waypoint meetups, I'm sure there's going to be minor collisions and stuff right? I'm super nervous about dropping it.

I've been flying the 9 for a couple years, that's why I said I couldn't give it up in favor of a better exploration boat, I just can't leave that cockpit view behind and she's too dear to my heart at this point.

I can't believe flying that far without an AFMU is a good idea? Especially with the waypoint meetups, I'm sure there's going to be minor collisions and stuff right? I'm super nervous about dropping it.

Heat damage is meh, ive never had a problem with it.

Collisions are another thing entirely for me anyway, because i get canyon boosting happy with the mothership even when i have a fighter installed. Yeah a repair limpet controller (for hulls not modules) is a good idea, and replace upto your power budget with shield boosters instead of heat sinks.

I can only imagine neutron star accidents as the reason to need those...

Last edited:

Clean drives don't really do anything in that regard.
Using an OC powerplant should be a last resort.

A few things:

MP

OP, this is all sound advice.

Re life support, if you're in that much of a bind log out until you know help is nearby.

You don't seem very open to suggestions...

OP, this is all sound advice.

Re life support, if you're in that much of a bind log out until you know help is nearby.

You don't seem very open to suggestions...

I'm just looking for more info, I'm definitely going to take some of these ideas and run a few tests through Coriolis, see how it all shakes out, I just don't know very much about the interplay between modules and still have only a faint understanding of engineering upgrades, I'm not trying to just crash and burn ideas here.

As far as the AFMU: I know it doesn't repair hull, but the reason I was bringing it was because after 120,000ly of jumping, the FSD will need repaired and a repair limpet can't do that, right? Only the AFMU can, right?

The suggestions are great! I just need some help understanding the "why" behind some of these decisions, why should I downgrade sensors if I'm going to be mining, don't I need the range? Why not take an AFMU if it's the only way to repair the FSD?

I really do appreciate all the help!

I'm just looking for more info, I'm definitely going to take some of these ideas and run a few tests through Coriolis, see how it all shakes out, I just don't know very much about the interplay between modules and still have only a faint understanding of engineering upgrades, I'm not trying to just crash and burn ideas here.

As far as the AFMU: I know it doesn't repair hull, but the reason I was bringing it was because after 120,000ly of jumping, the FSD will need repaired and a repair limpet can't do that, right? Only the AFMU can, right?

The suggestions are great! I just need some help understanding the "why" behind some of these decisions, why should I downgrade sensors if I'm going to be mining, don't I need the range? Why not take an AFMU if it's the only way to repair the FSD?

I really do appreciate all the help!

Fair enough.

I'd be surprised if you even need the AMFU/s, unless you're flying intoxicated/exhausted and/or doing neutron jumps.

For the sensors, no you don't.
Stock D rated sensors have almost as much listed range as an A rated prospector, and I've never had one go out of range.
There woiuldn't be any time savings I can envision anyhow, due to how sparse the roids are.

For that much jumping, I suggest you consider your range and scooping time as your primary concerns.

Have a cold running powerplant and the largest fuel scoop you can afford.
A lower rated, larger fuel scoop is better than a smaller higher rated one.

If you're worried about your life support running out just log out until help is supposed to arrive.

Can't do Prismatics, never unlocked them. I've been mining since the update with bi-weaves and they've worked alright, the standard should do ok. On that topic, you have any idea what damage type you receive from the deep core explosion? It's either blast or kinetic, but I'm not sure which so I wasn't sure what to engi for?

Thanks for the build ideas!

There's really no need to worry about explosion damage, just be sure to move beyond the blast radius. Collision damage is another matter. I seem to be regularly stripping my shields and damaging my hull when core mining, and half the time I'm not even sure what I'm hitting. If it's the small pieces of debris floating around then the damage seems rather extreme considering the speed at which I'm moving. Is anyone else seeing this? I was wondering whether there's some weird collision detection going on. I've found it best to circle the periphery of the exploded core, rather than enter it directly. Still, you're bound to pick up some damage at some point during an extended mining trip, and the AFMU doesn't repair the Hull as far as I understand.

I'm using a T9 for "deep-space" mining and it works well for A-B trips beyond the bubble, but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on an extended trip.

There's really no need to worry about explosion damage, just be sure to move beyond the blast radius. Collision damage is another matter. I seem to be regularly stripping my shields and damaging my hull when core mining, and half the time I'm not even sure what I'm hitting. If it's the small pieces of debris floating around then the damage seems rather extreme considering the speed at which I'm moving. Is anyone else seeing this? I was wondering whether there's some weird collision detection going on. I've found it best to circle the periphery of the exploded core, rather than enter it directly. Still, you're bound to pick up some damage at some point during an extended mining trip, and the AFMU doesn't repair the Hull as far as I understand.

I'm using a T9 for "deep-space" mining and it works well for A-B trips beyond the bubble, but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on an extended trip.

The new "chunks" created by the new mining tools are too large for the cargo hold. As your collector limpets bring the chunks back, you take collision damage from them slamming into you. First time I went out, my shieldless miner barely made it out alive.

There's been a lot of posts and bug reports out about it already, just waiting for a fix but in the meantime, as long as you've got your shields pumped, should be ok.

Hello fellow T9 drivers. Sorry to OT a bit but have you folks had any issues recently with recalling your ship from the SRV? I ran into this problem yesterday:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/466730-SRV-Recall-ship-bug

Curious to know if this is isolated or not, but it is happening consistently with me. Bit of a concern with DW2 coming up.

I was doing some Dav's Hope grinding yesterday and didn't have any issues save for one time. In that instance, I recalled the ship and drove under it to board before it had fully landed, got the "landing zone blocked" message and the ship took back off. Recalling it again cleared it right up. The Type 9 and 10 both have been notoriously picky landers though, some planets just seem to have no flat areas on them for landing.

Maybe try finding what looks like a good LZ before recalling?

Top Bottom