Graphics Mod to Remove Haze

After using this some more today I'm pretty sure it's working, but it's subtle. I notice some things missing in SC more than anything else. I still see the targeting circle though in SC with hard mode enabled, and out of all the different things/options, that's what I'm interested in the most. The rest I really don't care about, although having the option is nice.

Last edited:
After using this some more today I'm pretty sure it's working, but it's subtle. I notice some things missing in SC more than anything else. I still see the targeting circle though in SC with hard mode enabled, and out of all the different things/options, that's what I'm interested in the most. The rest I really don't care about, although having the option is nice.

Wait you WANT to get rid of the targeting circle? Disabling 74a61bc54382d4d9 will do that. It also affects nebulae visibility unfortunately. Combined with disabling 4db942934cad0b29 it also makes the cockpit window completely clean so that's one upside.

Last edited:
Wait you WANT to get rid of the targeting circle? Disabling 74a61bc54382d4d9 will do that. It also affects nebulae visibility unfortunately. Combined with disabling 4db942934cad0b29 it also makes the cockpit window completely clean so that's one upside.

Ya, I thought that was the whole point of the hard mode? I may not want to stay with it, but would like to try it out. Just to see what it's like, sounds like fun.

When I target something in the Nav panel, and align myself using the compass, I'm still seeing the circle with the name and distance. I'm assuming that's what I shouldn't be seeing with hard mode enabled, or have I got that wrong?

Last edited:
Ya, I thought that was the whole point of the hard mode? I may not want to stay with it, but would like to try it out. Just to see what it's like, sounds like fun.

When I target something in the Nav panel, and align myself using the compass, I'm still seeing the circle with the name and distance. I'm assuming that's what I shouldn't be seeing with hard mode enabled, or have I got that wrong?

OK just fired up the game with hard mode enabled. No targeting circle. Sounds like something is still wrong on your end.

edit: Any txt files in your ShaderFixes folder?

Last edited:
OK just fired up the game with hard mode enabled. No targeting circle. Sounds like something is still wrong on your end.

edit: Any txt files in your ShaderFixes folder?

These are the only files in that directory.

shader fixes.jpg

I am stumped. Really strange you can't get it working.

Just a sec, going to get a screenshot, brb.

I'm assuming I shouldn't see that circle in the center with hard mode enabled? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

circle.jpg

And here's the relevant section from my d3dx.ini file.

; INFORMATION AND ATTRIBUTION
; If you any questions or suggestions or find a glitch leave a post on the Frontier
; Forums (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/470722-Graphics-Mod-to-Remove-Haze)
; or private message "A D". Also a big shout out to CMDR Ledpup, the original author of
; the "Dust Buster" mod, and CMDR Uliando who inspired the hard mode. Thanks also
; to Bo3b Johnson for making 3DMigoto open source.

; MOD OPTIONS
; Disable the starfield in normal flight.
; This removes the particles that move past the ship when in normal flight.

[ShaderOverride1]
Hash=06b5574cbb67cb5c
Handling=skip

; Disable the starfield in supercruise.
; This removes the stars that move past the ship in supercruise.

[ShaderOverride2]
Hash=13c7cd6955a2b95e
Handling=skip

; Disable supercruise lines.
; This removes the moving vertical lines on each side of the cockpit.

[ShaderOverride3]
Hash=89fe00881332dc43
Handling=skip

; Remove the haze in spaceports.
; This removes the white haze inside large spaceports.

[ShaderOverride4]
Hash=698a0cdaf669a609
Handling=skip

; Clean your window.
; Enable this mod for a clean cockpit window.

[ShaderOverride5]
Hash=e29d91120fc28c8e
Handling=skip

; Hard mode (for "immeeeershun").
; This is for commanders who want a more challenging game or remove external
; clutter for videos or screenies. The known effects of this mod are:
; (A) All external distance or object markers are removed. You will need to fly
; using the compass, nav panel and eyeballs! Investigating a USS or POI
; on a planet surface will require your attention!
; (B) No supercruise or hypercruise vector guides. You must align your
; ship to enter either cruise mode.
; (C) No targeting cues. You must line your ship up with the object or other
; ship or use the navigation panel to select it. Can still lock and shoot
; etc. but there will not be a targeting pip so aim is a good eye
; or gimballed weapons.
; (D) No night vision. Eyeballs and lights on the darkside!

[ShaderOverride6]
Hash=74a61bc54382d4d9
Handling=skip

Last edited:
Yup, my d3dx looks the same, just a few areas commented out, but hard mode is uncommented. And yes, I went out in supercruise, selected a star, a planet, and then a station, and none of them had the reticle with distance/time to arrival.

Last edited:
Yup, my d3dx looks the same, just a few areas commented out, but hard mode is uncommented. And yes, I went out in supercruise, selected a star, a planet, and then a station, and none of them had the reticle with distance/time to arrival.

I don't get it then. What else could be affecting this?

I don't get it then. What else could be affecting this?

Try to see if you can manually flip through the shaders. Set hunting = 1. You want to scroll through the pixel shaders. I believe the default binding is numpad 0/1 for prev/next shader, respectively. As you flip through em, you should see the shader turn off. If you do this while in front of something with a reticle, eventually it should go away once you hit the right shader. You can look at the 3dmigoto overlay at the top to make sure you're actually scrolling through the shaders; it'll list which one you're on like 3/127 or something. If you can do this, then 3dmigoto is definitely working, and something is wrong with your ini file.

Last edited:
Try to see if you can manually flip through the shaders. Set hunting = 1. You want to scroll through the pixel shaders. I believe the default binding is numpad 0/1 for prev/next shader, respectively. As you flip through em, you should see the shader turn off. If you do this while in front of something with a reticle, eventually it should go away once you hit the right shader. You can look at the 3dmigoto overlay at the top to make sure you're actually scrolling through the shaders; it'll list which one you're on like 3/127 or something. If you can do this, then 3dmigoto is definitely working, and something is wrong with your ini file.

Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Great stuff!

I can't wait to use your mod to remove the SC dust and SC lines!

I remember one of the betas had the SC lines disabled, I thought SC was so much slicker for it!

Respect!

Was going to try this again this morning, but my system is stuck in a Oculus ED update loop. Anyone else with a Rift able to update to 3.3.03 yet?

Finally, after 7 "optimizing/downloading/installing" loops, it finally decided to finish.

Success, I manually flipped through the shaders with Numpad 1/2, and PS 78 of 79 makes the Targeting Circle, Name, and Distance, disappear at my end with hard mode enabled. How do I know what shader number/value that is for the d3dx.ini file?

Last edited:
Was going to try this again this morning, but my system is stuck in a Oculus ED update loop. Anyone else with a Rift able to update to 3.3.03 yet?

Finally, after 7 "optimizing/downloading/installing" loops, it finally decided to finish.

Success, I manually flipped through the shaders with Numpad 1/2, and PS 78 of 79 makes the Targeting Circle, Name, and Distance, disappear at my end with hard mode enabled. How do I know what shader number/value that is for the d3dx.ini file?

Numpad 3 will mark the shader. Then look in the d3d11_log.txt file and you should see where you marked the shader and its hash.

Numpad 3 will mark the shader. Then look in the d3d11_log.txt file and you should see where you marked the shader and its hash.

Thanks again for the help, and having the patience.

That worked great, Numpad 3 also copies the hash to the clipboard, so it was just a matter of pasting it into the D3dx.ini.

My hash for the "hard mode" was completely different than what was in the ini, I guess that's to be expected, and hence why it didn't work?

Anyways, it all looks great, thanks to AD for making this available, and all who helped get me going.

Whether I stick with the hard mode is another question, that would take some getting used to.:)

Last edited:
Interesting. They should be common, otherwise AD's file would only work for AD. What hash did you get?

Here's the hash, fa1882f467c6f826, when I put that in the ini file and target something, the circle/name/distance are gone, but so are Orbit lines. Haven't noticed anything else yet, only spent a few minutes with it. As I scrolled through the shaders, this one turned off everything, the next one would turn off say, just the circle, the next, the name and distance, I think. But the one I posted removes it all. The one that comes with the ini from post 36 still does nothing at my end.

Last edited:
With #36 d3dx.ini I am able to enable and disable hard mode, although I did notice it takes a "little while" for the target data to appear in the HUD if disabled. I exit and restart the game after each mod to d3dx.

I don't like the complete lack of HUD target info in Hard Mode, there's no fine direction guidance for course corrections to target. The two coarse alignment indicators, the little "Alignment Square" and the dot in the Nav-Compass, are too coarse for precise alignment, but most detracting is there's no Time To Destination/Target display with Hard mode, which makes precise high speed super cruise approaches impossible, I like to keep Time To Destination at .06 during Super Cruise approach.

If Time To Destination was displayed in the mini target panel instead of the little "Alignment Square" then hard mode would be "nicer", but hey "plant a feather and wish a chicken will grow".

Last edited:
With #36 d3dx.ini I am able to enable and disable hard mode, although I did notice it takes a "little while" for the target data to appear in the HUD if disabled. I exit and restart the game after each mod to d3dx.

I don't like the complete lack of HUD target info in Hard Mode, there's no fine direction guidance for course corrections to target. The two coarse alignment indicators, the little "Alignment Square" and the dot in the Nav-Compass, are too coarse for precise alignment, but most detracting is there's no Time To Destination/Target display with Hard mode, which makes precise high speed super cruise approaches impossible, I like to keep Time To Destination at .06 during Super Cruise approach.

If Time To Destination was displayed in the mini target panel instead of the little "Alignment Square" then hard mode would be "nicer", but hey "plant a feather and wish a chicken will grow".

Hehe..yep, "hard mode" is hard - but not impossible. Some CMDRS will not like it at all. A couple of observations though having used hard mode a fair bit:

- The compass and target panel do give enough control for direction and speed, particularly once you add the radar to the mix. However, there is no doubt CMDRS will overshoot objects (frequently) if they fly towards them like there were "cues" in the HUD. Gotta watch the target panel for distance and speed.
- These are the very things that appeal to me. Instead of seeing "cues" floating in space saying here it is, come and get it, I have to guide my ship to the destination, make adjustments and pay attention to the instruments. This is no more apparent than when flying to a POI on a planet surface in hard mode.

Fortunately, whatever your flavour, you can enable or disable the option. :)

That being said. I'm reading this thread and still reviewing and testing the mods (which takes time) - who knows, may makes some variants. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Great, and thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was trying/using a file that didn't have some other "odd" edits in it that might have been causing issues.

Hi Muskoka. Reproduced below is the reply I received from the 3DMigoto dev. It's an educated guess, but good chance its on the money because I use the FD store version of ED and not encountering the problems you are.

Note the dev's suggestion that you use hunting=1 mode to find the like effect in your game and then compare the hash number with the one I have used. For example, you could use hunting to find the "vertical cruise lines" in your version of the game, save the shader and then compare the hash number the one I use in the d3dxi.ini file. If some or all of the hash numbers are different then you would have your answer, but not a solution. Of course, you could work through each the effects and amend the 3ddx.ini file to suite your version of the game. Long way around, but a solution. If you just want to find and disable the relevant shader for "hard mode", then may not take long at all.

"Hello Allen,

Took a quick look at that thread, and it seems like he does have it installed and running, but the hash codes are not working.

The thing that stuck out to me is that he is running the Oculus version of the game. I could not quite understand if all of you are doing VR version or not.

But, the most likely answer here is that the hash codes are different between his version and yours. Different game versions typically tweak the shaders, and thus the hash code changes and breaks any given fix. If he is running Oculus version, and they modified the shaders, he'll get a different hash code that does not match yours.

This is my best guess without digging into it.

Have him look for shaders using Hunting=1 and see if his PixelShaders match yours. For whatever effect you are tweaking.

Best of luck,
bo3b"

Last edited:
Top Bottom