Mining Ships

With the considerable work put into mining mechanics, and the resurgent popularity of prospecting in the game, I thought it time to revisit the old suggestion of having ships designed for mining, just as we do for exploration, trading, combat, and multi-roles.

I'd like to see at least one viable mining ship designed for each ship size.

Firstly, in terms of aesthetics, they'd need to look like mining ships.

e.g.
pMU4srR.jpg

Or something along those lines.

In terms of stats or capabilities, they should have a focus on manoeuvrability for navigating safely around asteroids, and for the same reason, a cockpit alignment and hull design that make it easier for a pilot to intuit their ship's dimensions when aiming between objects. Perhaps also a special focus on thermal efficiency to make escaping predators through the use of silent running or near zero heat management more of an option.

For hardpoint quantity and placement, there should be 4 allotted for the Mining Laser, Abrasion Blaster, Sub-surface Displacement Missile, and Seismic Charge Launcher, before any other considerations, and at least one well placed point for a medium or larger sized weapon. Larger ships with more weapon points should have each hardpoint beyond the 4 used for mining configured in combat-minded positions. Utilities should allow for a Pulse Wave Analyser as well as some defensive options.

Regarding optional internals, depending on the ship size, module slots should first be allotted for an appropriate sized Refinery, Prospector Limpet Controller, Collector Limpet Controller, Detailed Surface Scanner, and sufficient Cargo storage, before considering how many further slots to allocate, and of what size.

For the remainder of considerations, I would recommend thought be given to strong defensive capabilities, both in innate ship stats as well as module slot availability.

Of course, there are existing multi-role type ships in the game that can handle much of what is detailed above, though nothing quite so specifically geared, and certainly nothing that looks like it was made for mining.

Any other suggestions for what would benefit a ship designed specifically for mining are welcome.

I also considered having the allocated optional internals, hardpoints, and utility slot mentioned above actually restricted to mining only modules and tools, but I've seen that restricting slots to certain uses has seen quite a bit of opposition in the past.

However, upon review, seeing as these are specifically geared for mining, even to the extent of having that external appearance, I don't think it's such a bad idea, as it prevents some of the other advantages given to these ships being easily or readily leveraged for other roles. Given how many slots are required for mining modules and tools, it's a tough sell though, as it could almost make them useless for anything else, but I still think it's fitting.

I would like more transport ship. The only ones met for transport we currently have are the Lakon Type line.

I'd not say no to that either. But some is better than none, and currently there are some transport ships, but of mining ships there are none.
So before we get more transport ships, I think it's fair to get some mining ships first.

An ideal Lore complaint ship would be the Gecko from past Elite games, it had a larger retro thruster that allowed it to stop very quickly ( Eg, from smashing into an asteroid post boost or quickly hopping form asteroid to asteroid)

I would love to see some of these ships revisited!

Here is the link to the FFE Gecko :)

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Gecko

I'd like a ship that is designed with mining in mind but not specific for mining. Right now I'm using an AspX for my mining ship. It's designed with exploration in mind but can be used for other roles. If a T7 variant could be fit with medium size hard points then that would do nicely for a mining ship. Two medium and two small and reduce the cargo capacity a small bit to fit the bigger hard point slot sizes in there. Give it a name and not a T designation. Sort of like the T6 and the Keelback.

that spoiler image must be a lakon mining ship, i wanna see a gutamaya mining ship i'm sure it would look faabuulous

Yes! It would be nice not to have the obvious manufacturer do all the ship models.
Lakon already dominate in trading and exploration, so mining is something I wouldn't mind seeing any of the other manufacturers try their hands at.

Lestat

Banned
We have 37 ships. Pick one that fit your needs. We don't need a dedicated Mining ship with all the choices we have already.

We have 37 ships. Pick one that fit your needs. We don't need a dedicated Mining ship with all the choices we have already.

Oh wow. Lestat objected to something being added to the game in favour of what already exists. I could never have seen that coming. I wonder what would happen if the developers exercised the same philosophy? I’m sure all of the players would be elated by such an announcement... -_-

Lestat

Banned
Oh wow. Lestat objected to something being added to the game in favour of what already exists. I could never have seen that coming. I wonder what would happen if the developers exercised the same philosophy? I’m sure all of the players would be elated by such an announcement... -_-
It an unneeded update. I rather have Walking around ships or walking around stations. That can enhance our gameplay. It would bring more people to the game than Another ship when we have 37 ships already that can cater to that task already. Right now the 3.3 updates did wonders to exploration and Mining We need to focus on in new areas or the game. Right now we can make any ship a mining ship. If anything Mining or Exploration update just need tweaking.

It an unneeded update. I rather have Walking around ships or walking around stations. That can enhance our gameplay. It would bring more people to the game than Another ship when we have 37 ships already that can cater to that task already. Right now the 3.3 updates did wonders to exploration and Mining We need to focus on in new areas or the game. Right now we can make any ship a mining ship. If anything Mining or Exploration update just need tweaking.

space legs is a huge update this is just something simple and easy, if anything i'm sure they have the base code for ships lying around and with some design work and tweaking they could put out a few mining ships, in about 2 months time, maybe.

I’d also prefer extravehicular activity if we’re talking about which change should have priority, but mining is much more fleshed out and engaging now, so it would also be great if we had ships that looked the part, as well as perhaps having modules locked to mining related equipment. It’s not exactly “needed”, as you say, but it’s something orders of degree easier than space legs to add to the game, and the abundance of trading, exploring, and combat focused ships exposes the glaring lack of anything specifically mining focused.

In short, as a suggestion standing on its own merits, and not in competition with other desired features, it’s a nice to have that players would enjoy.

I love the ideá of a mining rig. We have the sleek passenger ships, we have the combat ships, we have the cargo haulers.

I love to have a ship with the looks of a mining rig. This would also be a excellent long range explorer. A big size ship, long jump range, high hull integrety and plenty of internal space for all the tools of the trades..

Combine that with a new heavy SRV harverster for surface gathetring of ore and mineral on HMC.
Drop a probe to determine the surface hotpsots for minerals and ore.
Land on the hotspot and harvest, take the stuff back to your ship for processing..

Make planetside a happy place! [heart]

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
space legs is a huge update this is just something simple and easy, if anything i'm sure they have the base code for ships lying around and with some design work and tweaking they could put out a few mining ships, in about 2 months time, maybe.
You talk about code as an easy thing. It not always that easy. I would like you to go to 37 different houses to large Manson and draw the inside of each and see how long it takes. Than add all the detail and than talk. Right now Most have the Cockpit and the outside the ship.

I’d also prefer extravehicular activity if we’re talking about which change should have priority, but mining is much more fleshed out and engaging now, so it would also be great if we had ships that looked the part, as well as perhaps having modules locked to mining related equipment. It’s not exactly “needed”, as you say, but it’s something orders of degree easier than space legs to add to the game, and the abundance of trading, exploring, and combat focused ships exposes the glaring lack of anything specifically mining focused.

In short, as a suggestion standing on its own merits, and not in competition with other desired features, it’s a nice to have that players would enjoy.

I love the ideá of a mining rig. We have the sleek passenger ships, we have the combat ships, we have the cargo haulers.

I love to have a ship with the looks of a mining rig. This would also be a excellent long range explorer. A big size ship, long jump range, high hull integrety and plenty of internal space for all the tools of the trades..

Combine that with a new heavy SRV harverster for surface gathetring of ore and mineral on HMC.
Drop a probe to determine the surface hotpsots for minerals and ore.
Land on the hotspot and harvest, take the stuff back to your ship for processing..

Make planetside a happy place! [heart]
Maybe suggest a few ship kits. To make a few current ships Look more like a mining rig. Kinda like Asp Explorer Raider Pack. Its less work and they can use current ships that are suited for mining. Also enhanced Wear and Tear after astroid explosions to effects the outside of your ship with astroid pot marks. You get what you want with little work and keeps focus on features to keep this game running.

You talk about code as an easy thing. It not always that easy. I would like you to go to 37 different houses to large Manson and draw the inside of each and see how long it takes. Than add all the detail and than talk. Right now Most have the Cockpit and the outside the ship.

Maybe suggest a few ship kits. To make a few current ships Look more like a mining rig. Kinda like Asp Explorer Raider Pack. Its less work and they can use current ships that are suited for mining. Also enhanced Wear and Tear after astroid explosions to effects the outside of your ship with astroid pot marks. You get what you want with little work and keeps focus on features to keep this game running.

I’d worry about skimping on a minor feature to allow Frontier to focus on a major one if I thought they wouldn’t prioritise the major one once they decided to develop it.

In any case, I’m not going to consider each feature suggestion based on how much or little I want it to be developed in comparison to other features, but rather on its own merits. If that’s why you’re very frequently nay saying a lot of the suggestions here, then firstly it’s unfair to the people making the effort to put suggestions forward, and secondly you’d be labouring needlessly. If Frontier decide to develop space legs for a particular set release, then they’re not going dedicate any resources they can’t spare to just “nice to have” little features.

I think everyone would appreciate it if all suggestions were reviewed purely on their own merits, and not out of fear that they may take up development time better spent on something else.

Lestat

Banned
I’d worry about skimping on a minor feature to allow Frontier to focus on a major one if I thought they wouldn’t prioritise the major one once they decided to develop it.

In any case, I’m not going to consider each feature suggestion based on how much or little I want it to be developed in comparison to other features, but rather on its own merits. If that’s why you’re very frequently nay saying a lot of the suggestions here, then firstly it’s unfair to the people making the effort to put suggestions forward, and secondly you’d be labouring needlessly. If Frontier decide to develop space legs for a particular set release, then they’re not going dedicate any resources they can’t spare to just “nice to have” little features.
Well if it Ships kits I fine with it. Frontier gets money for future updates and you get what you want a ship that looks like a Mining Rig. It a great middle ground. Because I understand we have several ships that can be a great Miner build. Everything to Cobra MKIII, Python, Keelback, Anaconda, Type 9, Type 10 and making them look like dirty mining ship. It would float everyone boat. They get a ship they already like and you can find a ship that looks like a dirty Mining ship.

I think everyone would appreciate it if all suggestions were reviewed purely on their own merits, and not out of fear that they may take up development time better spent on something else.
I think more people would appreciate it more to view of other ideas that can cater to the same idea like the ship Kits. I understand you don't like it because it only requires less work and gives Frontier more freedom to work on Better things.

You already know when I see a bad Idea I point out why it a bad idea.

asp explorer raider pack

Last edited:

Well if it Ships kits I fine with it. Frontier gets money for future updates and you get what you want a ship that looks like a Mining Rig. It a great middle ground. Because I understand we have several ships that can be a great Miner build. Everything to Cobra MKIII, Python, Keelback, Anaconda, Type 9, Type 10 and making them look like dirty mining ship. It would float everyone boat. They get a ship they already like and you can find a ship that looks like a dirty Mining ship.

I think more people would appreciate it more to view of other ideas that can cater to the same idea like the ship Kits. I understand you don't like it because it only requires less work and gives Frontier more freedom to work on Better things.

You already know when I see a bad Idea I point out why it a bad idea.

You’ll note that I prepared a general but detailed outline of what ship stats and module allocations would provide a better than average or “just make do” mining ship, and that it’s not simply about cosmetics, so ship kits won’t suffice.

You have not said why that would be a bad or unwanted thing. You stated merely that you’d prefer to work with what’s currently in the game so that Frontier can focus on something like Space Legs. That’s not actually a comment about the suggestion itself, but about your preference for feature selection, which again, is not something people would appreciate who take the time to think of how the game may be enhanced in many different ways.

I mine ore on T10, and what I really lack is a small bot installed in the fighter hangar.
Then I would have explored and drilled asteroids on a small bot, and limpet would have been enough ore by T10.

Lestat

Banned
You’ll note that I prepared a general but detailed outline of what ship stats and module allocations would provide a better than average or “just make do” mining ship, and that it’s not simply about cosmetics, so ship kits won’t suffice.

You have not said why that would be a bad or unwanted thing. You stated merely that you’d prefer to work with what’s currently in the game so that Frontier can focus on something like Space Legs. That’s not actually a comment about the suggestion itself, but about your preference for feature selection, which again, is not something people would appreciate who take the time to think of how the game may be enhanced in many different ways.
Thing is. Everyone going to have different taste in their ship type as a miner some large some small That why Ship Kits will be a better idea. Because they can take their favourite Mining ship and make it look like a mining ship. If I wanted type 9 look like a hardcore Miner that what I want. It, not a ship that someone suggested. For my self, I have loads of ship I would choose from. Cobra MKIII MKIV, KeelBack, Python, Anaconda. Type 9.

I'm not saying your idea is bad. But maybe look at the whole picture and having a ship only for mining. Might not fit with all the mining crowd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom