Meet the Team and Q&A - Sam Denney

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
A couple of questions Sam.

1. Do you ever sleep [tongue]
2. As below you mentioned music on the rides. Do you think there is scope for having individually placed speakers and track trigger points, so we can replicate the classic "Don't look down" moment from Oblivion? [big grin]

Hi Kerrash

"1. Do you ever sleep "
Only once my work is done...... [hehe]

"As below you mentioned music on the rides. Do you think there is scope for having individually placed speakers and track trigger points, so we can replicate the classic "Don't look down" moment from Oblivion?"

We have talked about this and it's something we've considered but we have the core systems to get finished before we can got to this point.

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
So this is the final part of my journey in the depths of the forums with the CHC. [uhh]

I've had a great time and it's been quite a week for me and for you guys, you've been super supportive when my Nan passed and were really patient with me and my awful encounter with kidney stones! [up] I've loved all of your questions and responses and I'm sorry I couldn't get to you all before my time ran short.

I'm sure we'll meet again in here, I'm an avid stalker of the forum anyway [cool]

I'm so glad you guys are on board with us and that you understand where we are in the development process and that this is just the beginning of something beautiful!
We have so many things we want to do and you are all helping us get there by by offering your support and encouragement.

I'll still be around on the forums in some way, shape or form and you're more than welcome to PM me (I cant' guarantee I'll always answer)

I hope you have a great time as an Early Birds.

Take care all, much Love [noob]

Sam.

Hi SPRidley

"One is more asking as a fellow artist and game designer, how was the jump into creating the 2D expansions or RCT2, and your work as lead artist, to working in 3D with RCT3. I suppose it was huge, but I would love if you could get more into detail about the whole experience and how you and the team tackled it."
I'd been making games for quite a few years before I started the work on RCT2 which covered both 2D and 3D development but I'd never dealt with something quite as technically challenging as working with RCT2. Half the development was technical implementation which was not so much the case on 3D games. We created thousands of tiny sprites which needed to have every rotation and twist from every angle for the coasters to work correctly. It was very challenging but very rewarding. When we first started RCT3 the task ahead of us was immense - To turn a 2D, sprite-based game into 3D and to increase the content, enhance the gameplay as well as make it look beautiful was a scary task. But we had a lot of very experienced people on the team (a significant number who are now working on Planet Coaster) which really made RCT3 a great success. In terms of the most amazing development experience, RTC3 is only seconded to working on Planet Coaster.

"The other is about Planet Coaster. We've seen some amazing concept art of really advanced coaster parts you are working on. Like the B&M suspended chainlifts motor section, the B&M coaster gates opening station, or the brakes section having full realistic suports. My question is, how are you going to implement all this advanced coaster parts. Are they built automatically while building the coaster, or its placement of them somewhat different and/or optional."
The aim for us is that every coaster you build will reel as functionally correct as any coaster you'd find in real-life. This is incredibly challenging task but we have our brightest minds on creating an automatic system that can build the correct configuration of pieces and elements that's seamless and beautiful. I'm very passionate about all the rides construction (you might have noticed [squeeeeee]) and especially of the track construction. I also understand that if you don't have all the correct pieces in the right places the tracks will just look and feel wrong.. Even people who are not big fans of coaster engineering can tell when something is not right because it's all about the supporting details that help paint the bigger picture.
Ultimately this is a game and we can only go so far when trying to recreate real-life, coasters come in sooooo many different configurations and change so often so in some cases it'd be totally impractical and restrictive to emulate how some coaster elements behave. We're taking what we believe is the best route that'll offer the biggest variety and reward for players who are both enthusiasts and casual.

We've come a long way so far and have still got a long way to go before we'll be finished with the coaster construction as a whole, but we are taking our time as it's really complicated and we want to to ensure we get it right.

"I would have liked to know if there could be some on board system we could add music to the coasters, but we already know sadly custom music is out, so I dont know if you could answer any of that."

I've covered this in a previous post me thinks [yesnod]

It's always a pleasure to speak to another artist, thanks for the great questions! [up]

Wow, super detailed answer. Thank you Sam! CHC totally validated!
Hope everything goes smoothly for you and the rest of the team, and i cant wait to try the game on March.

Sam Denney

Lead Artist
Frontier
Here's here's a render of the Connie Express: (literally finished today!).

Connie_Express_001.jpgConnie_Express_002.jpg

We still have a little more work to do on her but I thought I'd try to give you something special [yesnod]

We hope you like her.

Thank you Sam, for using so much of your time to reply to questions, even with having to go on funeral. Condolences fro me for that.

The photos are amazing! <3
The details! I can even see scratches in the plastic seat of torque!! [heart][heart][heart]
My question wasn't really answered, but it is ok because you answered so many questions already you need some break. :D

Thank you so very much Sam for all your answers to our many questions. This is what makes Planet Coaster stand out above anything else in this genre. The dedication of all the Frontier Team, who are lovingly creating a great game, not just for the immediate future, but for the long term as well. I was so pleased with the surprise, a decent looking "Old General" railway locomotive, which looks so true to life and the beautiful carriages to go with it.

This will enhance any ones park and will create a really nice transport ride to take our guests to all areas, as well as just a ride in itself. I am a bit of a steam train nut to be honest and this train, although American is a credit to those who were involved in its development.

Can I just ask one question relating to this. Will there be several different locos to choose from eventually, such as the Mallard or Flying Scotsman, for example?

Thank you Sam for all your answers and this surprise :)

Such lots of details on the coaster cars and the Connie Express.

But i'm afraid that my computer won't support all thoses details :/ Let's hope the game will run fine.

But thanks again for your time :D

Thank you so very much Sam for all your answers to our many questions. This is what makes Planet Coaster stand out above anything else in this genre. The dedication of all the Frontier Team, who are lovingly creating a great game, not just for the immediate future, but for the long term as well. I was so pleased with the surprise, a decent looking "Old General" railway locomotive, which looks so true to life and the beautiful carriages to go with it.

This will enhance any ones park and will create a really nice transport ride to take our guests to all areas, as well as just a ride in itself. I am a bit of a steam train nut to be honest and this train, although American is a credit to those who were involved in its development.

Can I just ask one question relating to this. Will there be several different locos to choose from eventually, such as the Mallard or Flying Scotsman, for example?

Eh? Why would the Mallard or Flying Scotsman be used to tow guests round a half mile track in a theme park? [where is it]

They're express trains!!

It's a very realistic loco but this isn't actually a railroad game lol

EDIT: Serious answer, I'm sure there will be loads. Once they made the tracked ride system for RCT3 they created many uses for it, and many cars/locos/boats, whatever for each.

Last edited:
Eh? Why would the Mallard or Flying Scotsman be used to tow guests round a half mile track in a theme park? [where is it]

They're express trains!!

It's a very realistic loco but this isn't actually a railroad game lol

EDIT: Serious answer, I'm sure there will be loads. Once they made the tracked ride system for RCT3 they created many uses for it, and many cars/locos/boats, whatever for each.

Yes lol, they are famous express locos, but you do see miniature versions of these at quite a lot of Miniature Railways. In fact I am involved with one myself and have been for many years, at a Nature/Water Park close to where I live. The railway runs for just over 1 mile around the park and sometime we invite visiting locos at Bank Holiday weekends. We have had a few A4 locos like Mallard visit the park as well as some locos from Holland a few years ago.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom