How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

With ' blank preset' you mean that you have completely emptied your Control Schemes folder and it remained empty after that? Control Schemes folder being:

/home/<username>/Steam/steamapps/common/Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/ControlSchemes

What content do you have in your bindings folder /home/<username>/ed-wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Bindings ?

For ControlSchemes remove (or move to another location) any file that ends with .binds, then in the Options/Bindings directory rename your current .binds to .binds.backup.

After that start the game and it should give you a completely blank preset to start binding yourself from, and without loading any conflicting bindings from the control schemes folder.

The issue from my perspective appears to be that when the game scans all the binds including premade ones, it tries to set more than one which locks you out. It may be a particular bind file causing it but I haven't experimented.

Just an update on two things Steam Proton related:

1/ Proton 4.2 now works with just a dotnet40 & vcrun2015 install. No need for custom builds or even the CRC fix.

2/ For those looking for a custom build TK-Glitch has made an arch based method for installing latest wine-tkg (basically latest Wine + staging + custom patches same builds as used by lutris) into proton. This can be useful if you require any tweaks future patches to wine that are not in the current proton rebase.

You can learn more about it here: https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/tree/master/proton-tkg

For ControlSchemes remove (or move to another location) any file that ends with .binds, then in the Options/Bindings directory rename your current .binds to .binds.backup.

After that start the game and it should give you a completely blank preset to start binding yourself from, and without loading any conflicting bindings from the control schemes folder.

The issue from my perspective appears to be that when the game scans all the binds including premade ones, it tries to set more than one which locks you out. It may be a particular bind file causing it but I haven't experimented.
I will try your suggestion when needed. Fortunately (or unfortunately?I keep my fingers crossed) all things work OK since I installed OpenSuSE Leap 15.0 anew after having purchased a new mobo and processor to speed things up.

I've been able to get it running flawlessly on Arch through Proton 4.2 and this guide: https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki
However, I can't seem to import my keybinds or my HUD colors. I'm not sure exactly where the Appdata that the game is using is, as putting files in the wine prefix where I thought it was (
/home/waterlubber/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/waterlubber/AppData) doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Found the game's AppData directory dat /home/waterlubber/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous

Second Edit: Actually, where is the player journal? There's a Saved Games folder in one of the compatdata directories but no journal. I ran find on the whole disk and not a single Journal was found, so they aren't being written.

The network logs are though, and there is a pertinent line:
{00:04:32GMT 36.305s} UploadJournal: upload 3 lines of journal (12274)
but I still don't see any files. It's weird.

Edit 3: I needed to manually create the directory structure first.
/home/waterlubber/.steam/steam/SteamApps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved Games/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous worked. Nice!

Last edited:
My keyboard binding data in a non steam version is in:

/home/UserName/ed-wine/drive_c/users/UserName/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Bindings

Last edited:
1/ Proton 4.2 now works with just a dotnet40 & vcrun2015 install. No need for custom builds or even the CRC fix.
Does this mean that dotnet40 & vcrun2015 are already included in Proton 4.2 or do I have to install them manually?
If yes: What's the best way to do that?

Does the ED proton 4.2 version get rid of the problem of alt tabbing causing you to have your mouse move to short and alt basically stuck and needing to alt tab in and out of the game without letting go of alt and then pressing alt to get rid of the stuck alt key? I think the stuck alt key is caused by the alt tabbing back into the game without letting go of alt though somehow.(not physically stuck! ;p)

BTW, I was messing with ram timings and corrupted my os a little, reinstalled the boot and base partitions of the os, and finally got to try out those drivers that are now installable from the gui software manager for fedora. I used it to installed the proprietary nvidia drivers and magically my video card now never goes above like 27-33% usage(out i deep space) and is almost always near 90-100+ fsp. It on rare occasions drops back to like 44 fps. This was during a change of graphics settings to low from ultra. Even in ultra with all setting maxed except the 2.0 sampling something(including the max video card usage setting) its's still around and above 90 fps. I have a feeling that this is a glitch from the card not processing things like most games for me did in the past but it's really nice! In fact I'm going to put up that last setting to see what happens. Video ram usage is still high for me. Basically max. But it is a little lower. I'm using a 1060 3gb though so it's probably always going to be near max. 8)

This is compared to the normal install where you use the driver installer in a cl3 mode yourself. There seems to be some difference. Not sure what it is. But it's the same driver version as before atm. (418.56) Unless it used the driver I had isntalled somehow. But I formated the /boot drive so I don't know if that is the case. It may just be the up to date driver number.

My other persistant issue is that higher graphics setting make it more likely to crash after alt tabbing completely out of the program. The higher the settings the less alt tabs I can have. I can play the game nicely in max graphics but I can't actually alt tab to look at stuff unless I keep the graphics lower.

Just tried turning down the supersampling. I was looking at stuff where you can turn up the HMD and turn down super sampling to 0.75 to improve readability. Can we change HMD without an occulous? BTW, it still crashed on alt tabbing at 0.85 super sampling. It's much smoother though. I did not get it to crash at 0.75 yet. But I haven't tried much. It's hard to read though. Which is why it would be nice to do the HMD setting. If I can find a setting that gets rid of the lat tab crashing it would be nice. Has anyone been successful in this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6rqs4v Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6rqs4v/psa_for_vr_users_there_is_an_option_called_hmd/

Is this not available for 1060 3gb cards?

I'm getting a feelng it has to do with my cards vram being at max. I think that increases the odds of crashing during alt tabbing. The lower it is the longer it takes to crash. I have super sampling back to 1.0 and the setting for making teh video card do extra work down to control the vram usage. That seems to help. I'm trying to see if i can make it crash to test it and playing with how much vram. need to find the max safe vram to avoid crashing.

I manage to make it so I can hover the mouse over stuff but it's wouldn't let me left click. Might be a one time thing though.

Edit: The crashing is definitely from vram. Can vram have a memory leak. I watched the nvidia tool this time and it slowly rose to 100% then chrashed when I tried to switch focus back to the game. This is why the crashes are happening. I had it set to super sampling of .85 and no, "terrain work." It seemed to rapidly rise until actual 100% dedicated memory usage in the nvidia x server settings window. "GPU 0 - (GeForce GTX 1060 3gb)" screen. Right after total dedicated memory listing. This is with everything else at max settings.

Did it again at 0.5 super sampling. It seems to bring this behavior out.

I put all the settings at their lowest possible in the quality section and it's stopping at around 85% vram usage. Is this just the game loading ram or is there something wrong with it maxing out and crashing without attempting to dump memory or something?

Found that. Might be the same.

BTW, I'm just sitting in the station at soul nebula and it does this. Especially if you crank up the settings and have super sampling below 1.0. Is it having problems letting go of vram(for in game assets) or is it just slowly filling up to fill in the things in the area?

Even at 1.0 super sampling(changed at start but didn't load with it.) It still hits 100% vram usage and crashes upon alt tabbing in.

I do not have nor have I ever had any VR and have never had anything like it or a 3d monitor hooked to this computer if that helps.

I have the same problem since.
Sometimes I can play the game for hours, log out and log back in to crash having a message of low VRAM. I have only 3Gb (GTX 780 Ti) so I was wondering if my card was just dying or it was something else.
It happened a few time where it crash to a full restart of my system. Kindda freaky.

I also have a 3gb card.(1060) I have had this problem along with weird sound anomolies on some system freezes on rarer occasions(Some freezes have no sound issues and just freeze the system. I thought it was my ram being timings being to low.). Most of the time it's a game crash and a report window comes up to send the data to Fdev. I always say don't send because I'm on linux. Should I be sending them to them?

I've confirmed it's also doing this at 1.25 super sampling. Must be a general thing. I'm specifically setting setting high and then watching the nvidia settings window. I don't know if it happens this fast in game. It probably does.

Last edited:
Lately I made Elite work to a certain extend but then it crashed so hard that it damaged my OS and I had to REISUB out of it every time I booted it up. I'm running KDE neon whih has an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as foundation. However, after the crash I couldn't load up the OS unless in recovery mode ans even then I only managed to summon a console but most commands trying to repair the OS failed. So I reinstalled it but before I send my OS to hell again, has anyone experienced this weird issue? It crashed during planet generation preperation at 12% last time.

I might of mentioned these issues already but I'm wondering if someone here has an AMD card (preferably an RX 580 or above) and willing to test two issues for me? (and able to record the results)

Short of it is I need to find out whether both issues are DXVK/Vulkan related or to do with the nvidia driver so if neither affect AMD it would make it clear where to focus on bug reports.

Ideal test location: Iben Hub station in Iota Hydri system

Issue 1: Ultra Volumetric Effects Quality.

Simply an FPS test between High and Ultra on the landing pad panning with external camera, here's an example video (maybe use a bit of supersampling to increase the load), this is only apparent at certain stations or some rings:

Issue 2: Ultra bloom graphical glitches

This ones a little harder to reproduce as you got to be looking at light sources at a particular angle, in this video at 1:25 you can see I'm reproducing it by looking at the stations exit lights from an angle:

If someone with an AMD card can rule either of these issues out it would be great, especially the square glitch as that appears when using a mining laser.

It would also help me out personally as I'm mulling whether to purchase an AMD card for the open source goodness and AMD not having these issues would be a massive plus.

Lately I made Elite work to a certain extend but then it crashed so hard that it damaged my OS and I had to REISUB out of it every time I booted it up. I'm running KDE neon whih has an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as foundation. However, after the crash I couldn't load up the OS unless in recovery mode ans even then I only managed to summon a console but most commands trying to repair the OS failed. So I reinstalled it but before I send my OS to hell again, has anyone experienced this weird issue? It crashed during planet generation preperation at 12% last time.

I have to say on Linux I've only had a couple non intentional/non-wine issue related crashes in the months since it was working, in fact it's been more stable than Windows even the other month when the game was running out of VRAM on Windows that wasn't happening on Linux... maybe due to the fact that the Vulkan translation means memory heap is pretty much managed by Vulkan api.

As for hard crashes that have a lasting effect on your OS stability that could be a sign you have something wrong hardware wise (like a dying PSU or HDD) that might of been the cause of the crash itself and corruption of your OS install.

Last edited:
I might of mentioned these issues already but I'm wondering if someone here has an AMD card (preferably an RX 580 or above) and willing to test two issues for me? (and able to record the results)

Short of it is I need to find out whether both issues are DXVK/Vulkan related or to do with the nvidia driver so if neither affect AMD it would make it clear where to focus on bug reports.

Ideal test location: Iben Hub station in Iota Hydri system

Issue 1: Ultra Volumetric Effects Quality.

Simply an FPS test between High and Ultra on the landing pad panning with external camera, here's an example video (maybe use a bit of supersampling to increase the load), this is only apparent at certain stations or some rings:

Issue 2: Ultra bloom graphical glitches

This ones a little harder to reproduce as you got to be looking at light sources at a particular angle, in this video at 1:25 you can see I'm reproducing it by looking at the stations exit lights from an angle:

If someone with an AMD card can rule either of these issues out it would be great, especially the square glitch as that appears when using a mining laser.

It would also help me out personally as I'm mulling whether to purchase an AMD card for the open source goodness and AMD not having these issues would be a massive plus.

I have to say on Linux I've only had a couple non intentional/non-wine issue related crashes in the months since it was working, in fact it's been more stable than Windows even the other month when the game was running out of VRAM on Windows that wasn't happening on Linux... maybe due to the fact that the Vulkan translation means memory heap is pretty much managed by Vulkan api.

As for hard crashes that have a lasting effect on your OS stability that could be a sign you have something wrong hardware wise (like a dying PSU or HDD) that might of been the cause of the crash itself and corruption of your OS install.

Two things.

1. I have a Vega 64 that I can help you with to test your issues coupled with an amd CPU as well.

2. As you can probably tell, my PC is not-as-outdated. In fact, I assembled it just a moth ago.

However, as long as some games simply don't run under Linux (especially some older, non-platform games) I am running dual boot so if one OS dies I have another one :p
And yes, it's still a damn Windows.

So with that in mind, I am really running out of ideas regarding Elite. I tried Steam, Lutris, manual installation all with different results and crashes. Sometimes it doesn't even start but I never managed to load up the game in an actual system and ship.
And I am not the most experienced Linux user, so I could use some help.

Two things.

1. I have a Vega 64 that I can help you with to test your issues coupled with an amd CPU as well.

2. As you can probably tell, my PC is not-as-outdated. In fact, I assembled it just a moth ago.

However, as long as some games simply don't run under Linux (especially some older, non-platform games) I am running dual boot so if one OS dies I have another one :p
And yes, it's still a damn Windows.

So with that in mind, I am really running out of ideas regarding Elite. I tried Steam, Lutris, manual installation all with different results and crashes. Sometimes it doesn't even start but I never managed to load up the game in an actual system and ship.
And I am not the most experienced Linux user, so I could use some help.

Well your issue sounds a bit odd, if your OS keeps getting corrupted it could be a pointer towards another underlying problem which might be the reason your game is crashing too rather than the game directly causing it all.

Before telling you to do a Memtest or check your HDD etc, maybe you can try a different distro first to rule out anything a bit iffy with KDE Neon or anything you might of inadvertently installed. I recommend you give Manjaro a try, it also has a KDE flavour (as well as other DE's) and will install everything you need OOTB and has a simple package manager for anything else: https://manjaro.org/download/

If the issue persists even with a fresh distro install report back to see if we can help you find the cause of your issues.

And if you do get your system stable then I would appreciate a test at the station I mentioned in the post above, while everything works great I've been focusing my second account on finding issues beyond just having the game working however I can't go and buy an AMD card just to see whether the issues affect that too or whether Nvidia's driver is the problem.

Well your issue sounds a bit odd, if your OS keeps getting corrupted it could be a pointer towards another underlying problem which might be the reason your game is crashing too rather than the game directly causing it all.

Before telling you to do a Memtest or check your HDD etc, maybe you can try a different distro first to rule out anything a bit iffy with KDE Neon or anything you might of inadvertently installed. I recommend you give Manjaro a try, it also has a KDE flavour (as well as other DE's) and will install everything you need OOTB and has a simple package manager for anything else: https://manjaro.org/download/

If the issue persists even with a fresh distro install report back to see if we can help you find the cause of your issues.

And if you do get your system stable then I would appreciate a test at the station I mentioned in the post above, while everything works great I've been focusing my second account on finding issues beyond just having the game working however I can't go and buy an AMD card just to see whether the issues affect that too or whether Nvidia's driver is the problem.

Alright I may give it a go and report back once my system is stable.

BTW, I was messing with ram timings and corrupted my os a little, reinstalled the boot and base partitions of the os, and finally got to try out those drivers that are now installable from the gui software manager for fedora. I used it to installed the proprietary nvidia drivers and magically my video card now never goes above like 27-33% usage(out i deep space) and is almost always near 90-100+ fsp. It on rare occasions drops back to like 44 fps.

What tool do you use to get the fps information and how do you use it? I guess you play the game and at the same time can have a look at what this tool tells you.
I have a GTX 1060 3GB card myself and a Intel core i7 8700 on a Z370 A Pro mobo, OpenSuSE Leap 15.0 and the latest NVIDIA driver installed with the cli (so not the rpm packakes). I wonder how it compares to your figures.

Last edited:
I use the Nvidia X server settings tool that is auto installed with the drivers. For FPS the drivers can show fps in game or you can hit CTRL-F in game and the game has a frame rate tool inside of it. Which sadly stops several uses of F as a manually created shorctuct I wanted to make. Same with B. ctrl-B shows your network traffic in game.

In the Nvidia x server settings gui go down to, "OpenGL Settings," and select, "Enable Graphics API Visual Indicator." This will make the graphics card apply it's own FPS count in the upper left hand corner. The in game FPS count and bandwidth info is displayed in the bottom left hand corner after hitting ctrl-F or B.

All fps info is shown in game. The other info is in the nvidia gui.

We really need a way to change the shortcuts for the in game fps and broadband displays. I would like to use F and B for some settings... 8\

Last edited:
I do not know if this has anything to do with me trying to give my multiboot PC a new static IP Address.
On OpenSuSELeap 15.0 this is a quite straight forward process. Only the address needs to be changed and in the modem the port forwarding is attached to this new address too. However, after these changes I could not get further when having issued the command 'wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr /steam'.
Where the PLAY button always was in the launcher windows, there is now a small message in red: ' 0.4.6496.0 (0.4.6568.0 REQUIRES UPDATE) FD.
I changed the settings back to the old address but the problem remains.
The same applies now too to my other distribution on the multiboot PC, Ubuntu 18.10. Strangely enough, I never configured that with a static IP address but it ran Elite Dangerous happily.

I do not know if this has anything to do with me trying to give my multiboot PC a new static IP Address.
On OpenSuSELeap 15.0 this is a quite straight forward process. Only the address needs to be changed and in the modem the port forwarding is attached to this new address too. However, after these changes I could not get further when having issued the command 'wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr /steam'.
Where the PLAY button always was in the launcher windows, there is now a small message in red: ' 0.4.6496.0 (0.4.6568.0 REQUIRES UPDATE) FD.
I changed the settings back to the old address but the problem remains.
The same applies now too to my other distribution on the multiboot PC, Ubuntu 18.10. Strangely enough, I never configured that with a static IP address but it ran Elite Dangerous happily.

There was a game launcher update today.

There was a game launcher update today.
One that happened to happen precisely when I changed the IP address of my PC, making me think that it was this change that caused the problem?
My admiration knows of no bounds; these people know what a lousy timing is.
Long gone are the times that I inserted this 5.25inch diskette in the drive that was attached to my BBC B computer, making the program start without any problem whatsoever. It was 1984 then and the world made much sense than it does today. Makes one wonder if it was mr. Braben who did the real programming then or mr. Bell.

Anyway, I got the bloody contraption back to work, both on Ubuntu 18.10 and on OpenSuSE Leap 15.0.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any stable companion applications (EDMC, EDDiscovery, etc.) for Linux? I have opentrack working fairly well as a vjoy input, but none of the following applications work well or at all.

EDMC (source used to run, now it doesn't, is still somehow on python2 in 2019, virtualenv python2-keyring doesn't seem to work either, segfaults when you try to run the msi in WINE)
EDDiscovery (runs in WINE, constant exceptions and extremely slow)
Captain's Log (doesn't appear to detect journals??? unsure if this even supports uploading to EDSM)

I'm looking for something that runs well and can upload journals to EDSM and Inara.

Top Bottom