Roadmap leaked??

Fact is, the developers have wanted to do first person since release, we've all seen the videos with most of them looking forward most to "getting out of the seat".

So legs, yes.

The base building thing ... I'm still not buying it. If they do that rather than atmospheres and gas giants, then that will be the first time they've actually moved away from the original plan. So I dont actually believe it.

Also I dont see how player created based wouldnt entirely break the Stellar Forge, if not immediately then quickly. Thousands of players trying to build bases in locations that intended or not would cause the sim to break, breaking everyones game across all platforms, with constant firefighting by fdev to fix user-created problems? I could be wrong, but I'm not buying it.

I'm late to the discussion, so maybe this has been said already -- but No Man's Sky has base building that manages to be fun and useful in spite of that game also having modes and instancing.

That being said, I'm not sure what purpose a base might serve in Elite. There definitely would have to be new gameplay introduced to make it feel worthwhile.
NMS is a base building game, the entire mechanic is built on effectively a procedurally generated minecraft structure.

Elite is built on a complex recreation of the galaxy, with all manner of edge cases and problems where planets can intersect, different bodies can accidentally zip away from you as you enter a new instance, and procedurally generated mountains can cause crashes if they peak too high etc. The systems to allow USERS to add permanent objects, stations. outposts, planetary bases - they don't exist, and they certainly weren't part of the design, unlike NMS. We would break it.

Fact is, the developers have wanted to do first person since release, we've all seen the videos with most of them looking forward most to "getting out of the seat".

So legs, yes.

The base building thing ... I'm still not buying it. If they do that rather than atmospheres and gas giants, then that will be the first time they've actually moved away from the original plan. So I dont actually believe it.

Also I dont see how player created based wouldnt entirely break the Stellar Forge, if not immediately then quickly. Thousands of players trying to build bases in locations that intended or not would cause the sim to break, breaking everyones game across all platforms, with constant firefighting by fdev to fix user-created problems? I could be wrong, but I'm not buying it.
Why. If they were asteroid bases that were placed in the as of yet pointless asteroid belts only, I really can't see the issue. Also NMS has base building and it doesn't seem to have a detremental effect on the proc gen galaxies. I know they are done differently, but I can't see the issue.

As to how to do them, make them indestructable like stations are, have landing pad defence so that if anyone loiters there for too long they get destroyed and have them viewable to anyone that want to see them. Or have them instanced and only viewable to people you allow to.

As to it getting broken, I would think that FDev would have the final say on that. They don't seem to have many issues adding planetary bases on planets when they want to, as long as they are in an appropraite area I can't see the issue. Also the Proc Gen system creates bases when they are needed for missions already (and removes them) and the steller forge doesn't seem to have an issue with those either.

Last edited:
Why. If they were asteroid bases that were placed in the as of yet pointless asteroid belts only, I really can't see the issue. Also NMS has base building and it doesn't seem to have a detremental effect on the proc gen galaxies. I know they are done differently, but I can't see the issue.

As to how to do them, make them indestructable like stations are, have landing pad defence so that if anyone loiters there for too long they get destroyed and have them viewable to anyone that want to see them. Or have them instanced and only viewable to people you allow to.
Do you really in your heart of hearts think fdev is going to allow us to put a station where we want?

edit - and everybody else too. 20 stations in orbit around Earth, all in everyones game, across all platforms. And when we add them, does fdev feed them into the sim seamlessly without Earth and indeed SOL breaking?

Last edited:
This isn't NMS, planet coaster, or jurassic park. Those are building games, designed from the ground up for building things.

So legs, yes.

A thought that has occurred to me is that maybe the base building referred to are the fleet carriers that got postponed from Q4 Beyond?

Do you really in your heart of hearts think fdev is going to allow us to put a station where we want?
I never said that FDev would allow us to build bases anywhere. I just can't see any techincal limitations of why there can't be base building. I'm sure there would be rules to it.

A thought that has occurred to me is that maybe the base building referred to are the fleet carriers that got postponed from Q4 Beyond?
Now THAT is quite possible. If there really WAS a discussion in a pub, and Elite isnt the game the leaker actually knew much about, then it might make sense.

But just to add - I'm not saying they couldnt do it. I'm saying I dont believe they would.

edit - and everybody else too. 20 stations in orbit around Earth, all in everyones game, across all platforms. And when we add them, does fdev feed them into the sim seamlessly without Earth and indeed SOL breaking?

FDev have actually talked about player-controlled base building to a degree, and base ownership more generally. Although as you say there'd have to be limits:

List of FDev Quotes on Player-Owned Bases:

On NPC-crewed ships farming for us, building bases and hiring NPCs generally:

Q: My question is, if we can buy multiple ships - will there be any possibility of crewing those ships with computer generated people so you could send ships out to trade on their own. Additionally, if you have enough money, any chance you could actually build a base, buy ships for police duties and such?
A: This is the sort of thing we will look at down the line. We want to avoid the game feeling like 'playing a spreadsheet' though, but these features are certainly on our radar. November 2014 Q&A

On making your own space station out of an asteroid:

One of the things that we have planned where ultimately, probably not at the first release of the game, that players can buy essentially an inflatable space station.
This is where you would buy something that's essentially a box that just fits in one of the biggest ships, completely fills your cargo bay. You take it out, you attach it to a very specific asteroid, or type with the right minerals in it. It melts it, and then inflates it. And then it cools, and you've got a space station. March 2014

On stashing mining machines on planetary surfaces:

You would be able to see heavy industry, craters up close, and ultimately be able to deposit things on the surface (stash cargo or mining machines). June 2014 Q&A

On buying space stations, and possibly ones that generate cash:

Q: Will I be able to buy a shop on a space station so I can get a rolling income while I explore?
A: That is something we have thought about, including buying whole stations as well. Because obviously if you're setting out in the unknown you might be the person that arrives with that Ocellus station... That's something that I want to come with time. Sept 2014 Vid - 23m18s

On owning planetary bases:

Can you conquer planetary bases? Can attack, but can't have your own one. Not yet anyway. Horizons 2015 Q&A

On 'plans for player created content, such as companies or galactic organisations?':

To start with, players are just another commander, trying to make their way in what is quite a hostile galaxy. However, participants can form alliances with other players, and we do have plans down the line for building space stations and so on. May 2014 Interview

Last edited:
I never said that FDev would allow us to build bases anywhere. I just can't see any techincal limitations of why there can't be base building. I'm sure there would be rules to it.
Yes, agreed, but the same problems would arise, constantly I would think. I don't know, not being an fdev dev, but I imagine when they add objects/stations/outposts/installations there is a lot more to it than in a game like NMS where the code is designed for building. The Elite code is designed for simulating the galaxy, and we would very quickly break it, I'm quite confident.

This is just my opinion, but I hope legs come before atmospherics.

I would personally be very annoyed to land on a lush green jungle planet and then be restricted to driving around that obnoxious buggy. Doing "science" on the local flora and fauna by just shooting machine guns at all of it.

Nah. I think the original quote is much closer. In ED we don't pilot our ships around courses, it is meant to be a living and breathing galaxy, not just a space ship game. Hence the reason why there is so much more to the game such as stations, planets etc. If you want a game about only space ships CQC/Arena is what you are looking for and I would also say that space legs would be a complete waste of time for CQC/Arena too unless they decide to add in a foot combat section.

But not for the main game, there is plenty of space for space legs and it could be very good too, depending on implemetation.

In GTA the vehicular dynamics is very basic compared to a proper driving game. Elite is very much about being first person in-cockpit spaceflight with -compared to other similar games- refined physics/simulation.
Actually this is where the whole analogy breaks down - GTA-style games that combine proper on-foot and vehicular activities are very difficult to get right and fill with meaningful content. Do we want the spaceship part to be as superficial/basic as driving in GTA?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
What would be the issue with base building and instances/modes? Also why would they make no sense in the context of the game?

I guess if you make all the bases indestructible and not interactive to anyone other than the owner, then there might not be too much of an issue. Aside from the usual camping/instancing issues of meeting people.

They make no sense in the context of the game for 2 reason imo:

1. It's a spaceship game
2. What would you do there? What is the point in a game where everything revolves around you spaceship. There's no cargo/material/data storage, there's no player economy or trading, there's no passive income generation.

I just personally don't see how it all fits. Maybe in 5 years time when we're big game hunting on atmospheric planets, but now... Nope.

Top Bottom