Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch 2

Of couse adding to the automated tests after after a code change should be standard practice. However, these are gameplay tests and they have to be carried in the 'Old Fashioned' way asking the question of is the game playing as expected (Yes / No).

wrong literals is no unautomatable gameplay test and every single release is littered with them. just to cite an example. there is ample evidence (5 years of it) that frontier either doesn't test or does so with abysmal standards which amounts to no testing. also, if you had kept up with technology you would be surprised as to what can be automated today. and that's before you even mention specific problems that can only be reproduced in production (player behavior, concurrency or networking issues, obscure device incompatibilites, etc) which probably don't make the 0.28% of defects.

And ending on an implied insult, well according to Dictionary.com there is no such thing as professionality, but if you're worried about their lack of professionism, go right ahead

that's a quite thin skin, my apologies if needed and thanks for the correction. unlike others i usually only have to be told once (ymmv! :D)

wrong literals is no unautomatable gameplay test and every single release is littered with them. just to cite an example. there is ample evidence (5 years of it) that frontier either doesn't test or does so with abysmal standards which amounts to no testing. also, if you had kept up with technology you would be surprised as to what can be automated today. and that's before you even mention specific problems that can only be reproduced in production (player behavior, concurrency or networking issues, obscure device incompatibilites, etc) which probably don't make the 0.28% of defects.

that's a quite thin skin, my apologies if needed and thanks for the correction. unlike others i usually only have to be told once (ymmv! :D)
Should I add some salt to the soup and say, that a developer, who relies on tests, is not a professional developer? :whistle:

I've just scanned about 30 systems with the FSS, no problems.
However FSS 'hotspots' with many signals (about 10 in the same screenspace) gives me a bit of lag - down to under 50 FPS using a 1060 GPU.
This is not a new issue for me though, can't remember exactly when it started or if it has always beem like that.

I've just scanned about 30 systems with the FSS, no problems.
However FSS 'hotspots' with many signals (about 10 in the same screenspace) gives me a bit of lag - down to under 50 FPS using a 1060 GPU.
This is not a new issue for me though, can't remember exactly when it started or if it has always beem like that.
Yes, I agree. But in my opinion it has always been this way.

Should I add some salt to the soup and say, that a developer, who relies on tests, is not a professional developer? :whistle:

dunno, do you work at frontier? :D

it is impossible to develop anything useful without side effects: there are your tests. they've been around since the abacus, just in a chaotic, ad-hoc and primitive way.

since then we have learned that testing is an essential part of software engineering and have developed methods and technology to make it so. a today's professional developer is not only expected to test, but to write and design easily testable components and to automate and document the full circus of it. tests are no good if they are costly to run, so they absolutely have to be automated. the test plans, runs and reports are often an integral part of the delivery.

dunno, do you work at frontier? :D

it is impossible to develop anything useful without side effects: there are your tests. they've been around since the abacus, just in a chaotic, ad-hoc and primitive way.

since then we have learned that testing is an essential part of software engineering and have developed methods and technology to make it so. a today's professional developer is not only expected to test, but to write and design easily testable components and to automate and document the full circus of it. tests are no good if they are costly to run, so they absolutely have to be automated. the test plans, runs and reports are often an integral part of the delivery.
You're right, testing is an essential part. But not the main part. You can not test every input constellation or environment of a program. You simply can't. A developer has to foresee certain things and has to develop code, that is robust in many ways. Trial and error is not the way to do it. So, don't get me wrong, I emphasize only the fact, that you can build a stable software without tests but not without stable code.

Although a abacus might be possible :unsure:

Hello Darthtool,

We've been investigating the issue you raised earlier today with the team and require a little bit more information to understand the exact issue you're having. Is it possible for you (and any other Commanders experiencing this issue) to provide us some video footage of what you're experiencing?

Ultimately, this will help us understand when and where this is occurring. If you've previously made a Issue Tracker report about this, please also upload the footage there.

Unfortunately or fortunate maybe that i cannot reproduce the zoom bug again since relogging.

Less copies than Elite: Dangerous, but higher prices in a medical environment including updates per quarter and personal support. The company is much smaller than FDev but all the software modules together are not.
I reckon 'higher prices' is rather an understatement. Not $40, right, more like $4000 or $40000, right? So there you have your answer.

I reckon 'higher prices' is rather an understatement. Not $40, right, more like $4000 or $40000, right? So there you have your answer.
What kind of answer? That less copies*higher price is totally different to many copies*lower price? Or that a company, which sells products, which costs less than (lets' say) $40000 has more freedom in reacting to product issues?

Anybody else missing Corroded Paint Jobs?

I am sorry but I have not seen this update. I use Steam and it has not updated the game to April Patch 2. Perhaps things are bit slow at Steam

I there something wrong!?!

Forgive me for being picky .... shouldn't it be called the "May Update"?
Nope it's Patch 2 on the April update.

<grumble> Why it can't just be 3.4.2 I don't know, kids these days </grumble>
It's an update in May .... we had an update in April, now one in May .... There's no need to be picky calling it a "patch" :p
(EDIT in case people don't pick up on the self-referring sarcasm, I'm being picky calling it a May update when it is really a patch on the April Update)

Top Bottom