Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch 2

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to manually update the launcher. Yeah, it looks like FDev needs to refresh the launcher a little more thoroughly. Honestly, I think the whole launcher needs an update just to refresh its look a bit.

Thanks!

It also currently shows the server as being online but is clearly offline for maintenance as I can't play.

I hadn’t played since before the April patch, due to the large quantity of bugs and issues it brought with it initially. I installed the patch 2 yesterday though, as it seemed like it was stable enough to try and play.

Not that it probably makes any difference any more, but I found the following initial problems after first start up:

1: The Discovery Scanner had been unbound from all my fire groups
2: All my power priorities were set to “1”
3: All my deadzone settings in the controls had been zeroed, which was not cool.. nearly caused me to fly into the wall of the station on trying to exit.

I’ve reset these things now, and everything is going ok and hasn’t reset itself again, so hopefully that is a one off set of issues. But it’s annoying to think that patches will produce these effects.

It would be great if you could “not apply” a patch if you were happy with the game as it was, and just stick with it, but therein lies the can of worms marked “offline mode” I guess ;).

Oh, and where has the Elite theme music gone? It was really stirring, and nice to listen to whilst pondering what to do. Now it is just the current ship in a yard somewhere (even if I am actually floating in space or on a planet surface) and some sinister ambient stuff :(

A question about the launcher on the PC:

I've noticed that the launcher seems to be only partially updated with fresh news. For example, it still says "Support Notice: April Update Patch 1 is Live!" despite Patch 2 being now available. In addition to that, I am still looking at "Distant Worlds Resource Initiative" and "Distant Worlds Security Detail" CGs from March 14 being the larger headline items in the right column news section. Other news items are up to date, however. Do I need to manually update my launcher or are others seeing this too?

I'd like to know that as well. I do read the info from the launcher, like a short bulletin board. But news are not "news" anymore.

I guess you can not go by the launcher for the latest patch information. . .

I may have missed it but is the surface scanner getting fixed too, or has this patch solved that as well?
You'd scan one planet fully and it'd turn blue but when you go to the next planet to scan, it's already blue but not scanned, making it difficult to know where the probes have hit.

I guess you can not go by the launcher for the latest patch information. . .

Yeah, the launcher is partially out of date (thought it was just mine). Little things like this annoy the heck out of me. Maybe FDev are working on a new launcher layout and just don't want to invest the effort to correct this stuff on the old launcher. Would be nice to know as in the meantime stuff like this bespeaks of a casual disinterest in their own product. The very first thing a new player sees shouldn't appear to be partially abandoned.

Thanks for the patch! Finally got time to have a play and good to see a lot of the more critical bugs fixed. FSS is mostly stable now (there are still some edge cases where the display moves/rotates when you zoom in).

Planet-mapped overlay is still bugged.

New(?) issue with the "Jumps Remaining" display in the left-hand panel - on a multi-jump route the display is glitched on the last jump. Issue tracker link.

Apart from that this version seems to be working pretty well.

I put some hours in the other day, first time since April update, and I didn't notice any of the new bugs. However, most the old bugs are still there - unmapped planets showing as mapped on DSS, POI scans taking minutes to resolve per planet, endless "Asteroid belt 12345 discovered" popups covering important data in FSS, terrible flickering shadows (which will never be fixed), landing gear coming up through the floor of certain ships, transparent hulls, etc, etc, etc.

Is there any effort being made to fix these older bugs, or are we stuck with them until late 2020?

The FSS is quite jumpy again. It seemed really smooth after April update, but had the focus problem, and now the focus is fixed but it's skittish and jumpy. Ugh.

The FSS is quite jumpy again. It seemed really smooth after April update, but had the focus problem, and now the focus is fixed but it's skittish and jumpy. Ugh.
It seems to go "skittish and jumpy" if you scan a planet with Geological POIs, but don't wait for them to resolve but zoom back out and scan the next body. The more of these are in the backlog the worse it seems to get. Same happens when there's a backlog of other items, for example, a dozen asteroid belt objects which were auto-scanned; if you start the FSS before they finish scrolling past it's also not smooth.

But I certainly prefer it this way to the re-center issue we got in Patch1.

FSS is jumpy when there's a few unresolved objects in the same screen while you zoom out. Boils down to poor optimization i think.
At least it stopped rotating every time I zoomed out.

TBH i am getting nauseous from all the zooming.
The FSS was a mistake. Make the HONK great again!

I've hit the FSS issue a couple of times but it's nowhere near as bad as before. However, this is no longer on the issue tracker. Should it be?
YES.

The core issue is certain things (primarily Geological POIs) taking a long time to resolve in a thread which then causes the UI to stutter. Other similar items don't (ie, Biological POIs), so the fix might be fairly easy, "just" needing to refactor the Geo code to match the Bio code. Although my personal preference is still for the FSS to only reveal the presence/absence of POIs (possibly the types, but definitely not the numbers), and needing a Surface Probe to reveal more details.

There are various other minor issues with the FSS, but this is one of the main ones.

Was away when patch 2 dropped, but now had a couple of evenings to check it out.

Have to say the main problems I had after the initial April update and patch 1 do seem better now.

The FSS seems to be behaving itself again, at least for me, and the noticeable performance degradation I suffered (on standard PS4) seems to be fixed too. The smoothness of the FSS and general movement in Supercruise/normal space (even in areas of dense starfield, which was suddenly a problem after the April update) is greatly improved. Even the long pause in the Witchspace tunnel that I was getting at the start of each jump is reduced - it's still there but it's only a fraction of a second now rather than the second or two it was after the previous update.

the FSS is a lot better now than what it was with the April 23rd update, but there are still issues with it.

I'm see a performance hit (stuttering, lag, and lower framerates) with the FSS especially when the system has a lot to scan, the more i scan the worse the performance gets. before the April 23rd update the FSS ran pretty smooth regardless of how big a system was.

while its usable now, its very annoying having to deal with the stuttering and performance hit while moving around to scan.

I've been seeing massive server problems lately.

Today, one disconnect after the other. We've finally got a more powerful connection (theoretically 175 Mbit/second download, 40 Mbit/s upload, in reality, it's more like 140/35...). I'd love to enjoy ED with that, but the servers today are steaming crap.

My update stalls and then freezes now for the third time at about 50%. This is highly annoying considering the time it takes to get to that point.

After the update the game is broken. I can not get the save game to run. And the client is not closing but instead freezes. I am helpless.

Top Bottom