Roadmap leaked??

Whatever they bring out will be criticised and rage-quit by a portion of the 'community' as not what they wanted. I'll just see what they bring to the table and decide if it is worth my money/time - but without histrionics - those I'll enjoy reading here :)
Only a portion? You underestimate FD. I will be disappointed if they don't disappoint at least 95% of players to to a lesser or greater extent. FD loves to deliver something for everyone. :)

Edit: Don't forget that they make the game THEY enjoy playing. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I'd rather have one that talks less and hears more than the other way around, but hey, it's just me.

Well as far as Powerplay was concerned, he listened and was making progress. I once sent a proposal to remove the jitter on the cytoscrambler, and he offered to halve it for the next patch and see how it went. We had the feedback session, which aside from hysterical babymen throwing toys gave a lot of good information back.

Either way, what he posted was better than what we have now. Plus, he was one of the more communicative devs who engaged with the playerbase.
I always liked Sandro. Not all of his decisions though (not that I am too sure if he made those decisions or if someone higher up did). I really liked the idea of powerplay, it was the implementation of it that was poor. So close to being good. In my view it should have been fully integrated into the BGS.

There's been lots of guesswork about spacelegs missions, with ideas of them bringing an opening and closing to existing ones being on the right lines imo. That said I'm sure if/when it comes that we'll get a technically excellent experience, far from the jank fest in that other erm, game.

Space Legs = Unnecessary addition to the core game concept = scope creep
Don't make the same mistake as Star Citizen, and keep piling on side quest features that are not central to the concept of the game.
That is when you get lost in an endless quagmire of stretch goals, lofty ideas, and ultimately delayed/flawed execution.

This is a space combat/trading/exploration sim at its heart.
Not a foolhardy attempt at a swiss army knife.
<snip>

It's absolutely fine to say adding Legs (in any meaningful way) is very difficult and probably foolhardy.

Where you're going off piste though is this:

Legs are a core game concept for ED:

(A) They've Been Roadmapped since Pre-Launch:

(B) They've Been Designed Into The Game Already - Both Pre & Post Launch:

See this lovely litany of evidence :)

Proposition:

FDev have deployed assets & design decisions in-game which are very likely foundational for a Legs expansion.

Why Collate Them?:

The 'ED Should Remain a Ship Game' brigade tend to glide over these existing additions. Seemed worth summarising them.

Evidence:

• Cockpit entry and exit have been factored in:

BadEasyBeaver-size_restricted.gif

^^Cmdr Chronicles animation seemingly using working game assets^^

^^Mini tour of the Courier cockpit^^

• Multicrew added avatars & ship-share networking (including shared object states re menu holos etc)

• The SRV is designed with entry / exit in mind:

CgA5WuDWQAAjX3m.jpg:large

^^Unofficial fan animation of assets^^

• BONUS: Braben reckons Elite is future-proofed to support up to 16k

So that's some LOD you can shove your nose in, in theory.

Speculations:

It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that they have also kept an eye on back-end design and performance issues in the process as well. (Networking choices, poly counts etc). They may not have thought it all through well (witness the SRV / Multicrew farago ;)), but the way ED can let you fly past a space potato while running the game on an actual potato makes me think they've kept future expansion load in mind at least.

Post-script:

Some say it's too much effort to add Legs. And I get that. But seeing as they've put all this work in already, wouldn't it be a waste not to build on it? ;)

This ship game has had foot ramps from the off. There's a reason for that ;)

Last edited:
That’s why I’m still a bit sceptical about the ‘leak’, looking up-close to pretty much any surface using the external camera (and I’m also using VR) shows the texture detail level to be sub-2004 Doom standard, with most markings and decals floating a few inches above their surfaces (presumably to stop z-fighting).

There’s a massive amount of art to produce to implement those required next LOD’s. I’m not saying it can’t be done, there are very talented people working on this game, but I’ll be happy surprised if it pitches up in 2020.
Haprised.

I’ll be super interested in the (presumably) proc-gen non-natural environments, the Star Citizen lot did a good video on that a while back.

Braben reckons they've future proofed the game to 16k. There's some LOD muscles to flex there if needed I'd guess.

Braben is talking about what the engine is capable of, but you'd still need a metric ton of assets. Doesn't mean it is impossible, but it is not a matter of just flicking a switch and having awesome 16k visuals. ;)

Ah ok cool. I've always read that talk as meaning they were making their textures etc to those parameters as well, but downsampling / reducing the quality tiers available in the current build. Totally an assumption though ;)

Ah ok cool. I've always read that talk as meaning they were making their textures etc to those parameters as well, but downsampling / reducing the quality tiers available in the current build. Totally an assumption though ;)

That was my assumption as well to be honest. It seemed weird if that wasn't the case to me. I mean... saying an engine can display 16K level stuff isn't saying anything at all, so I figured they meant they had made the textures (etc) in that level of detail for future use. Is an assumption though.

dxm55

Banned
It has already been completed. Or are you trying not to notice it? If you do not need space legs, this does not mean that they are not needed.

The game isn't really complete. We still can't re-enter or land on atmospheric worlds.
Maybe FD shd complete the spaceship aspect of the game first, before expanding outwards to space legs. That was what I was suggesting.
One thing at a time.

Last edited:
The game isn't really complete. We still can't re-enter or land on atmospheric worlds.
Maybe FD shd complete the spaceship aspect of the game first, before expanding outwards to space legs. That was what I was suggesting.
One thing at a time.
My son actually refuses to play Elite because the game world isn't complete... He wants to be able to land on any planet his ship logically could and everything else would break immersion. Can't really blame him for that actually.

My son actually refuses to play Elite because the game world isn't complete... He wants to be able to land on any planet his ship logically could and everything else would break immersion. Can't really blame him for that actually.

Heres hoping the 2020 update can make the galaxy more complete.

Edited.

Last edited:
Top Bottom