Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Well, if you get destroyed anywhere, you always have the option of rebuying your current ship for the insurance fee (which puts you back at your last station), or you can take the free Sidewinder and be sent back to your starting location (Baker's Prospect in Asellus Prime for me). Of course when you do that, you lose your original ship. Also, if you're Wanted when you get destroyed, you will NOT be sent back to the start, but to the nearest Detention station instead, so being Clean is part of the equation. And don't have your NPC crew active, or they'll be destroyed, too.

So yes, I got blown up while I was in a brand new Sidewinder that I had just purchased. I swear that planet I crashed into wasn't there a second ago. Then I asked for the Free Sidewinder and Free Trip Back Home. I lost the purchase price of the Sidewinder, nothing else.

Hmmm decisions decisions. Thanks for the clarification.

About 1kls away from Colonia already after 1 evening of travel while Wifey was out. Do I blow my $100,000,000 Challenger, return to Jaques and ride the winder for an instant wake up at Bakers', or do I spend an evening charging back to Colonia, storing my Challenger, then blowing up a cheap ship and riding the winder, then spending around $100,000,000 to get the Challenger shipped back to the bubble. Or do I just plod on home in my Challenger for the next month or so in the knowledge that during that lonely month I could probably progress from Tycoon to trade Elite and then be free to focus on AX combat for the triple....

Hmmmmmzz

Hmmm decisions decisions. Thanks for the clarification.

About 1kls away from Colonia already after 1 evening of travel while Wifey was out. Do I blow my $100,000,000 Challenger, return to Jaques and ride the winder for an instant wake up at Bakers', or do I spend an evening charging back to Colonia, storing my Challenger, then blowing up a cheap ship and riding the winder, then spending around $100,000,000 to get the Challenger shipped back to the bubble. Or do I just plod on home in my Challenger for the next month or so in the knowledge that during that lonely month I could probably progress from Tycoon to trade Elite and then be free to focus on AX combat for the triple....

Hmmmmmzz
I don't envy your position.Kudos for getting the challenger out there in the first place.I tried and turned back after the first 2000 ly in a challenger,but it seemed such a gas guzzler i would have gone crazy if i'd stayed with it all the way.
It felt like i was having to refuel every two or three jumps.

I don't envy your position.Kudos for getting the challenger out there in the first place.I tried and turned back after the first 2000 ly in a challenger,but it seemed such a gas guzzler i would have gone crazy if i'd stayed with it all the way.
It felt like i was having to refuel every two or three jumps.

Yep, every three jumps regular as clockwork.
While scooping I get to potter around the house. The place has never been so tidy. And I've used the travel time to watch all 4 series of Black Sails. ED is the best game ever. Don't just take my word for it - the wife hasn't had to lift a finger in the lounge for the last 2 months.....

If you got it all the way out there,it's quite a rarity.I imagine it would be a good ship in a fight,and apart from the scooping issue and range limitations,it held everything i needed for exploration comfortably,but if you flew it out you should be comfortable with the 'rythm',

Today, I have mostly been replenishing materials.
D8y1d1LW4AIDEkH

If you got it all the way out there,it's quite a rarity.I imagine it would be a good ship in a fight,and apart from the scooping issue and range limitations,it held everything i needed for exploration comfortably,but if you flew it out you should be comfortable with the 'rythm',

Yeah, I've become quite fond of the old girl. Would love to know if anybody else has taken a Challenger all the way to Sag A or if it's a first!

Wifey out again tonight somewhere in Cardiff doing Le Rock, whatever that is. Some form of 60's dance, she says. Give me some 1970's Rush or Thin Lizzy and a good head banging session any day, so tonight I'm racking up a few more klys on the long haul home with Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind album as background music.

jump, jump, jump, scoop, do the dishes.
jump, jump, jump, scoop, iron a shirt for tomorrow.
jump, jump jump, scoop, post something here or the Autosport forums.
jump, jump, jump, scoop, respond to a work email
ad nauseum

Can't bring myself to can the Challenger so I'm taking her home, converting her for AX duties then letting the Thargoids kick the crap out of the old girl's @ss.

Had a good session this evening; the new exploration process working exactly the way I always hoped.

Jumped into a system, scanned everything and found an HMC that was pure metal with six geological sites. Pulled up close and fired off the probes (efficiency bonus... yay me!). Flew straight to the one on the light side to find geysers gently steaming in the sun. A happy hour later I had yttrium, vanadium, chromium, tungsten, and more iron, nickel and tin than I could count. Simply glorious.

XEE6ydKh.png

I got my new Corvette into reasonable shape, and took her out to the CNB. It was good fun, and the ship performed as I'd hoped.

Then, I got the hare-brained idea to take one of those wing assassination missions that are supposed to be really hard, with engineered ships against you, etc. Holy guacamole! Those guys were tough!

I was expecting tough, but there were 4 of them, and they had some kind of weapons that could damage my hull right through my shields. The mission target was in an FDL and it had really tough shields. My little fighter person was useless, she would just die 2 seconds after launching because the target's wingmen all went after her.

I hung in there until I was about 50% hull and 50% shields, then I decided to try to gain some distance. I flew off a ways and they followed me while my turrets finally took down the FDLs shields. So I took the chance, turned back and opened up with the multicannons. The FDL kinda melted then, yay, and I jumped the heck out of there with 30% hull and a weak ring of shields left.

I'm gonna need some more armor if I'm going to try those again. And leave my fighter pilot home. lol.

I think, I have found the right play for Mongo the Pyth Taker heavy corvette. Just delivered 10540 tonnes of tantalum for Sagittarius Eye CG appeal.
Says top 25% but there is still 2 hrs left. have raised my combat rating from 20% novice to 63% novice. ( who let a novice admiral have a big corvette....)
A good range of opponents from novice to dangerous got trashed when one on one. Trying hard to land a good shot with very large plasma accelerator

Decided that, yes, The Heart of Gold (Clipper) needed some love. Whacked on some fragment cannons, some A thrusters and - gulp - a 7A scoop (yeah... how much?). So now she's flying around visiting engineers, her cannons having been doubled shotted and servo'd (I've no idea of their effectiveness but it'll be fun finding out). The FSD is G5'd with a deep charge and her maximum jump nearly half-empties the tank in one hop. Hence that scoop.

Here she is, about to blast off to Wyrd to see what The Dweller can do with the PD:

0p7h8No.jpg

Decided that, yes, The Heart of Gold (Clipper) needed some love. Whacked on some fragment cannons, some A thrusters and - gulp - a 7A scoop (yeah... how much?). So now she's flying around visiting engineers, her cannons having been doubled shotted and servo'd (I've no idea of their effectiveness but it'll be fun finding out). The FSD is G5'd with a deep charge and her maximum jump nearly half-empties the tank in one hop. Hence that scoop.

Here she is, about to blast off to Wyrd to see what The Dweller can do with the PD:

0p7h8No.jpg

Mass Manager on that FSD is possibly slightly better for distance but less thirsty.

Top Bottom