Maybe this is old news but I'm curious if anyone has investigated.

To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies! To the whisperer in witchspace, the siren of the deepest void! The parent's grief, the lover's woe, and the yearning of our vagabond hearts. To Raxxla!
— Alleged toast of the Dark Whee

So i researched ancient myths and found the egyptian goddess "hathor" mother of the universe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hathor
Notice her "crown"
Shes often depicted as bull, and icons show her birthing stars and the galaxiy. bull representationhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Hathor.svg/220px-Hathor.svg.png
We know her as the constellation taurus. That star in the middle of her horns- the crab nebula, an eccentric pulsar. Maybe it has a way to reach raxxla?? idk. So I'm on my way to investigate it now. 136 jumps one way fml. Im not much of a long distance explorer, more combat and mining. So hopefully I make it before getting bored.
Whats given me drive tho, is that i decided to investigate the lower region of taurus first. Its right next to the bubble. When I was in lower taurus. I came across the Ain system. Which strangely had an unregistered comm. It directs you to an INRA base in the same region. I'll return to that region to keep investigating if the crab nebula comes up nil.

Has anyone investigated taurus or the crab nebula (i know ppl have been there) as a location or means to jump to raxxla?

Hathor looks like a good shout.

Her Greek equivalent is Aphrodite, which hooks nicely into 'Lover's woe' since she was something of a trollop (while married to Hephaestus). Aphrodite was also (according to Theogeny) born from Uranus' severed genitals and if THAT doesn't fit the definition of 'Parent's grief' I don't know what does!

For the old Rifters: Aphrodite is also the greek equivalent of Inanna/Ishtar and we've all been here before ;)

Regarding getting there without getting bored:

Do stuff on the way (it appears that you are, which is great) because jumping alone for long distances is soul destroying even for those who love exploration. Scan stuff, take pictures, land on (low g) planets (with your shields up) and drive around shooting rocks. Just break up the monotony every 20 jumps or so, and you'll be fine.

It's the trip home that's always the killer, anyway :)

Good luck and have fun o7

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing those things and yeah, when I just relax, its pretty great. Its nice to sit back and appreciate the scale of this game

Hathor looks like a good shout.

Her Greek equivalent is Aphrodite, which hooks nicely into 'Lover's woe' since she was something of a trollop (while married to Hephaestus). Aphrodite was also (according to Theogeny) born from Uranus' severed genitals and if THAT doesn't fit the definition of 'Parent's grief' I don't know what does!

For the old Rifters: Aphrodite is also the greek equivalent of Inanna/Ishtar and we've all been here before ;)

Well hopefully its helpful. Thanks for the tie in to the greeks because I missed that. I don't really think the poem has any clues other than that first line. But you never know.

Good to know. I'll continue on though as well. When you say a full survey, did you do just they full system, or full nebula? As there don't seem to be too many stars there Im going to try and check them all. Thanks for the link, ive seen this name a lot but havent investigated it yet.

Full nebula. Really, read at least the first page of the thread - a lot of good info in there esp. for a first timer to deep space.

Q

Well i went out to Sag A in the hopes of intercepting Gan ... but didnt see him there (should have started my trip from Vega and followed in his footsteps). Anyhoo..currently working my way towards Izanami...

You could see whether the FSS radio noise lines up with Sag A* <--> Source 2.
Sag A produced 2 distinct sounds. The sound of a ship slowing down in super cruise and the thunder-like sounds you hear while speeding up. My best guess/overall impression was that it sounded like all of witch space or something was inside it. Idk if it’s unique to Sag a but I haven’t noticed it with other BLs. I also tried lining up Sag a with source 2 directly behind it and then doing a bunch of random things. Also tried flying into Sag A which proved impossible, unless you have 20,000 hear sinks and about a year of time to fly into it with thrusters.

Spiraling stars could be a reference to WR stars as they spin. Don’t recall anyone in the past 100 pages mentioning this so just throwing it out there. It would be great deception because you immediately think multiple stars in orbit, not one star that turns.

Edit: Spelling

Scytale

Banned
I'd tend to say don't look for Raxxla. Stumbling on a ghost planet is not an option.
When you become worthy, Raxxla will come to you.
Something or someone will reveal to you how to "de-obfuscate" it.
Just like it happened to Jason Ryder. And Romero ?
Imho.

Last edited:
Right....I've been thinking....if I was in charge of recruitment for an elitist group of explorers, and my brief was to "pick only a handful in each generation", what would make me stop and say..."oooh, what about this guy?"

It cant be gaining Elite explorer, because far more than a handful in each generation are elite explorers.

What about if somebody turned up in my station and sold me exploration data from every single galactic region? That might make me stop and think.

Does anybody know of anybody trying this?

Please somebody tell me I'm nuts, otherwise I'm going to be really tempted to try it, and that is something I will seriously regret about a month in! :)

Right....I've been thinking....if I was in charge of recruitment for an elitist group of explorers, and my brief was to "pick only a handful in each generation", what would make me stop and say..."oooh, what about this guy?"

It cant be gaining Elite explorer, because far more than a handful in each generation are elite explorers.

What about if somebody turned up in my station and sold me exploration data from every single galactic region? That might make me stop and think.

Please somebody tell me I'm nuts, otherwise I'm going to be really tempted to try it, and that is something I will seriously regret about a month in! :)

Bear in mind that 'galactic regions' were only introduced in v3.3 - so they're unlikely to be part of any process to 'unlock' Raxxla.
I'd also be cautious of trying to use the Dark Wheel faction in Shin to do anything significant, since they're not confirmed to be the actual Dark Wheel.

Just cos you’re nuts doesn’t mean you’re definitely wrong! 😉

But for this I think it’s worth bearing in mind that the Galactic regions were only introduced into the game in 3.3. (Always possible they were there in the background and never fronted to players prior to 3.3, but haven’t seen anything to on any way indicate that was the case.)

Bear in mind that 'galactic regions' were only introduced in v3.3 - so they're unlikely to be part of any process to 'unlock' Raxxla.
I'd also be cautious of trying to use the Dark Wheel faction in Shin to do anything significant, since they're not confirmed to be the actual Dark Wheel.
Good point about 3.3 I had forgotten that. Although, who is to say DW were unlockable, prior to 3.3??

I have always held off on doing anything with DW previously, as "any attempt to contact them to request membership has always failed" seems quite a blatant statement of "Don't waste your time!" but - I'm running out of straws to clutch at, and it was actually you talking about your thought that we need to do something to unlock the next step, that got my brain spinning. Given the exploration nature of the DW (Shin or not) I cant think of many things that could trigger an invite?

Just cos you’re nuts doesn’t mean you’re definitely wrong! 😉

But for this I think it’s worth bearing in mind that the Galactic regions were only introduced into the game in 3.3. (Always possible they were there in the background and never fronted to players prior to 3.3, but haven’t seen anything to on any way indicate that was the case.)
Do we know that it was possible to gain a DW invite prior to 3.3? We dont really know its possible at this point do we....??

Since The Dark Wheel is a clandestine group hailing back to the beginnings of stellar exploration I would think this group has their fingers in all the pies ( thus the term 'wheel' and themselves being the hub. ) Also, with the introduction of the 'Codex' we now have extra information at hand. Interestingly a section on major corporations.

If I was the leader of this group I certainly would plant sleeper agents and spies in any mega-corporation that could undermine me. And I would have definitely started with The Sirius Corporation. Some of the other corporations listed could just be fluff, or related to other corporations that the DW has interests in. Mining, exploration, cartography, science, aliens and all the stuff.

So, how to find the Wheel? They find you of course and to notice you I assume you need high profiles in a list of corporations ( the spokes ). Then maybe you get an invite or a permit. I also assume it would be a permit since if or when TDW HQ is located I take it they would not want a sudden influx of visitors. We do know FD keep tabs on more than ranks due to the introduction of Engineers. Even to the point of locating exactly where you are in the Galaxy. Interesting stuff.

Good point about 3.3 I had forgotten that. Although, who is to say DW were unlockable, prior to 3.3??

I have always held off on doing anything with DW previously, as "any attempt to contact them to request membership has always failed" seems quite a blatant statement of "Don't waste your time!" but - I'm running out of straws to clutch at, and it was actually you talking about your thought that we need to do something to unlock the next step, that got my brain spinning. Given the exploration nature of the DW (Shin or not) I cant think of many things that could trigger an invite?

Exploring all the galactic regions would at least indicate that you're a 'real' explorer - simply by the amount of ground you've covered - even if it's not the actual regions being tracked, so it may be worth doing.

I'm not sure the DW are considered to be exploration focused. My recollection is that they were elite combat pilots, although that was from before other ranks were a thing. Still, there's nothing in the Codex (IIRC) that suggests they care about exploration particularly.

Finally, given that you can't hand exploration data in at more than one station (and it all goes to Universal Cartographics anyway) I don't think that where you hand it in is relevant. Imagine missing out on Raxxla because you handed your data in at the wrong place - that would be a ridiculous way for FDev to obfuscate it.

Exploring all the galactic regions would at least indicate that you're a 'real' explorer - simply by the amount of ground you've covered - even if it's not the actual regions being tracked, so it may be worth doing.

I'm not sure the DW are considered to be exploration focused. My recollection is that they were elite combat pilots, although that was from before other ranks were a thing. Still, there's nothing in the Codex (IIRC) that suggests they care about exploration particularly.

Finally, given that you can't hand exploration data in at more than one station (and it all goes to Universal Cartographics anyway) I don't think that where you hand it in is relevant. Imagine missing out on Raxxla because you handed your data in at the wrong place - that would be a ridiculous way for FDev to obfuscate it.
LOL. Yes. Although where my mind was going, is that (if I remember rightly) if you hand in exploration data, your reputation increases with the controlling fraction. So another question might be.....has anybody become allied with the DW, solely by handing in exploration data? If not, I can try this when (if) I ever get back to the bubble.

Doesn't the fact their primary objective is finding Raxxla make them explorers by definition?

Last edited:
Top Bottom