Hyperspace Jump within system?

So that is where my reference to physics comes in - a system is an entity formed by gravitationally-bound bodies. In-system travel is governed by gravitational conditions. F D pays lip-service to that physics but it doesn't ignore it.

Ok so I was right to summarise your argument as I did :)

You're trying to argue that this physics lip-service prevents them altering the made up game systems. Which is clearly untrue, as they've altered FSD behaviours in the past regarding the braking mechanics of gravity wells. And they're also open to changing them further, both in terms of SC speeds & potential micro-jumps:

NO I DON'T SEE A NEED TO SPEED UP SUPERCRUISE TRAVEL. - is that clear enough for you nani?

Fine mate, but this is just your personal preference. If you try and state that it's not changeable 'because physics' then expect to be called out on it is all ¯\(ツ)

Ok so I was right to summarise your argument as I did :)

You're trying to argue that this physics lip-service prevents them altering the made up game systems. Which is clearly untrue, as they've altered FSD behaviours in the past regarding the braking mechanics of gravity wells. And they're also open to changing them further, both in terms of SC speeds & potential micro-jumps:

Fine mate, but this is just your personal preference. If you try and state that it's not changeable 'because physics' then expect to be called out on it is all ¯\(ツ)

I am getting totally p...ed off with you deliberately misinterpreting my words.

Fort the last time - I was responding to @TURD who had said "..argument is completely without consistency or logic. You're simply trying to excuse and rationalize bad game design" - I was pointing out that the developers paid a degree of lip-service to actual physics.

Please stop trying to manipulate what I say into some mangled excuse for you to pursue your own agenda.

Also - my capitalised remarks which you denigrate were a response to nani. - I have never said the game CANNOT BE CHANGED BECAUSE OF PHYSICS - not once have I even intimated at that - the game developers can change things any way they want.

I am getting totally p...ed off with you deliberately misinterpreting my words.

Fort the last time - I was responding to @TURD who had said "..argument is completely without consistency or logic. You're simply trying to excuse and rationalize bad game design" - I was pointing out that the developers paid a degree of lip-service to actual physics.

Please stop trying to manipulate what I say into some mangled excuse for you to pursue your own agenda.

It's the direct implication of Turd's argument and your own counter.

Turd Ferguson is arguing for a contraction of Supercruise dead time, and pointed out that objecting to Supercruise 'shortcuts', while accepting intra-system 'shortcuts', is inconsistent.

You say no it's fine, because the game systems are all made up (which we all agree on), but the distinctions between those systems are logical 'because physics'.

You've presented no other case. There's no point getting angry just because people raise issues with your argument ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:
It's the direct implication of Turd's argument and your own counter.

Turd Ferguson is arguing for a contraction of Supercruise dead time, and pointed out that objecting to Supercruise 'shortcuts', while accepting intra-system 'shortcuts', is inconsistent.

You say no it's fine, because the game systems are all made up (which we all agree on), but the distinctions between those systems are logical 'because physics'.

You've presented no other case. There's no point getting angry just because people raise issues with your argument ¯\(ツ)

Still you do it. What is it that makes you take someone's remarks, mangle them, remove context and imply that the mean something which you can then try to present yourself as a smart .... over?

I repeat for the hard of thinking: "have never said the game CANNOT BE CHANGED BECAUSE OF PHYSICS ".

I said, F D took concepts and invented gameplay mechanisms paying lip-service to them. So they have invented a system of jumping from one gravity-bound-system to another gravitationally-bound-system - the Hyperjump. I am happy to accept the premise that from within such a system you cannot target anything other than another separate system with the FSD high-energy jump - something which others seem to want to do (mini-jumps). To provide gameplay in such systems they have made-up a travel mechanism loosely based upon the theory of an Alcubierre drive and so that travel mechanism is governed by gravitational forces. Thus my riposte to @TURD's ""..argument is completely without consistency or logic. You're simply trying to excuse and rationalize bad game design".

You take all of that and suggest I am saying the game cannot do things because of physics - but I am not saying that at all.

Now I hate to launch a spoiler into the whine-pool of "supercruise is boring" but it should be blindingly obvious to anyone with two brain-cells to rub together that there is a decent probability of a new travel mechanism entirely being introduced to the game. No not "atmospherics" but Thargoid drives. Thargoids don't travel in supercruise and since it is beyond stupid to think they spend weeks, months and years travelling within a system in normal space, they must have a means of travel in "witchspace" that does not rely on the FSD's gravity-system to gravity-system targeting. So no doubt Professor Proton or Aegis will soon reverse-engineer modules for you to buy and "do your thang".

Now get off my back and stop mucking me about.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that we should be able to jump to stellar bodies other than the primary when we high-wake. We can already see on the GalMap what stars are in a system, even an unexplored one. Make it a drop-down or nested menu to select the destination star and then engage the FSD. In unexplored systems, we won't know where in the system that star is, but for an explored one we could reference the system map before we lock in.

Personally, I think that we should be able to jump to stellar bodies other than the primary when we high-wake. We can already see on the GalMap what stars are in a system, even an unexplored one. Make it a drop-down or nested menu to select the destination star and then engage the FSD. In unexplored systems, we won't know where in the system that star is, but for an explored one we could reference the system map before we lock in.
This would also be acceptable.

Still you do it. What is it that makes you take someone's remarks, mangle them, remove context and imply that the mean something which you can then try to present yourself as a smart .... over?

I reapeat for the hard of thinking: "have never said the game CANNOT BE CHANGED BECAUSE OF PHYSICS ".

I said, F D took concepts and invented gameplay mechanisms paying lip-service to them. So they have invented a system of jumping from one gravity-bound-system to another gravitationally-bound-system - the Hyperjump. I am happy to accept the premise that from within such a system you cannot target anything other than another separate system with the FSD high-energy jump - something which others seem to want to do (mini-jumps). To provide gameplay in such systems they have made-up a travel mechanism loosely based upon the theory of an Alcubierre drive and so that travel mechanism is governed by gravitational forces. Thus my riposte to @TURD's ""..argument is completely without consistency or logic. You're simply trying to excuse and rationalize bad game design".

You take all of that and suggest I am saying the game cannot do things because of physics - but I am not saying that at all.

Now I hate to launch a spoiler into the whine-pool of "supercruise is boring" but it should be blindingly obvious to anyone with two brain-cells to rub together that there is a decent probability of a new travel mechanism entirely being introduced to the game. No not "atmospherics" but Thargoid drives. Thargoids don't travel in supercruise and since it is beyond stupid to think they spend weeks, months and years travelling within a system in normal space, they must have a means of travel in "witchspace" that does not rely on the FSD's gravity-system to gravity-system targeting. So no doubt Professor Proton or Aegis will soon reverse-engineer modules for you to buy and "do your thang".

Now get off my back and stop mucking me about.

I'll ignore all the bizarre personal abuse. And try again to wrest clarity from the seething lump of conceits you have bludgeoned together. Because at it's heart it's very simple.

1. Turd complained about long empty SC transits:

Wasting an hour of my time in SC is just insulting.

2. You countered with the classic 'space is big' reply to justify said transits:

space is big and F D want to keep some of that sense of vastness

3. Turd pointed out that the game short-cuts the distance between systems, and that it is logically inconsistent not to object to this on the same 'space is big' grounds you had just deployed:

Why is it important on a solar system scale, but not on the galactic scale? Why shouldn't it take 10 lifetimes to travel to Alpha Centauri from Earth to get a "sense of vastness"??? why is it only necessary to impress that sense of vastness AFTER I get there and want to travel to Hutton?

Your argument is completely without consistency or logic. You're simply trying to excuse and rationalize bad game design.

4. You went off on a lengthy discussion of the in-game rationals for the two game mechanics. And how they are individually internally logically consistent and pay lip service to science. Which is fine, but it has literally nothing to do with anything that proceeded it.

Your position of only applying 'space is big' justifications to Supercruise, but not to jumps between suns, is logically inconsistent. Turd is right.

If you could just look past your ignorant sarcasm for a few moments, you'd know that I, Turd Ferguson, and Golgot are all very experienced players who already know how to play the game perfectly well thank you very much.
If you say you are all very experienced players so why not that Experience to Avoid long travel time like the rest of us?

It doesn't change the fact that certain aspects of the game involve long boring super cruise journeys, and we would like to replace that with something less slow and boring.
Well you claim you are all Experienced players. Why can't you use that skill to play the game the way you want. Instead of asking for a short cut. It like people asking for a wormhole to Beagle point because they don't want the effort that involved.

Yes, that was my reaction too when I made those journeys. So you do know what if feels like then?

It doesn't change the fact that I found them slow and boring.

And what if that closer system doesn't have the things I'm looking for (e.g. a suitable Guardian site, a POI, a rare codex entry, an unusual stellar formation, etc...)?
Aside from that, how would I find it anyway?
If everything was handed to us we would not have a game. I leave games because they added short cuts. That why I would not Buy NMS or Star Citizen. At least with Elite Dangerous The Galaxy is so Vast we both has a choice. As an Experienced player like my self. I tend to look at the Distance and ask my self is it worth it or not. Like I look at the Guardian site. Look up on the Forums. Know it had 3 blue prints. So I spent hours to get everything I needed before I left.

Now the a POI or Rare Codex entry. It like the Lotto. Is the time sink worth the distance? Only an Experienced player like your self can decide if the distance is too far or not. For my self I would do it. But remember we have so many Systems in this game. Skipping a site is not unheard of.

No, it's OK. I'll play the game how I like thank you, because my play style is in no way dictated by you. And right now, that means being locked out of some exploration activities due to the pointless timesink of long boring super cruise journeys.
You know if it was a game that had a few stars. I might agree with you. Because you be going back to those system over and over again. But in our life time we will never explore all the systems in Elite Dangerous which sits well for me. If I was short on time will skip it. On other days I will not. But most of the time I will explore it.

Rare, in this context, means codex entries that cannot be easily or regularly found when exploring. For example:
  • Carbon Dioxide Gas Vents
  • Sulphur Dioxide Ice Fumaroles
  • Silicate Vapor Ice Fumaroles
  • Water Geysers
  • Water Fumaroles
  • Planetside biological life
  • Vacuum based biological life
  • Lagrange Clouds
Why waste hours of my time doing something that I don't know is going to be worthwhile?
We have so many systems in the game. You can find the systems suited for your desire. If you always think Rare sites are only distance. You Failed to see we have Billion of systems in the game. For my self I found more rares closer to the main Star than a secondary star. It don't mean all my rare Discoveries was always close.

If you say you are all very experienced players so why not that Experience to Avoid long travel time like the rest of us?
We're just going round in circles here.

Velixar - we (you and I) have been exchanging our points of view on this for over a year now, and it's obvious that neither of us is going to say anything that's going to change the other's mind.

Like Lestat, I think you are too stuck in your ways, and too close-minded to entertain the idea of SuperCruise being enhanced in any way, so I don't see any benefit to responding to any more of your posts on this thread unless you have some new insight or suggestion to offer.

Last edited:
Nobody is forcing anyone to go on long supercruise journeys. That's a choice. Don't like them, pick missions or destinations that are closer to the jump in star.

It's not difficult.

It's great yes. Both gameplay styles are supported.

nobody is forcing me to play this game at all. I just think that staring at a screen saver for an hour doesn't qualify as gameplay. I don't understand why ANYONE would want to waste an hour of their time staring at a Windows 95 screensaver or even 10 minutes. Your time on this planet is limited. Don't squander it.

Last edited:
Duh. You said there was a soft lock. What soft lock. There is no gameplay that is locked away from you as you can do all the gameplay at a closer destination. The only "gameplay" there is, is supercruise. But you want to remove that so you can do the same gameplay you could do at a closer planet or station.

All you would be doing is removing some of the achievements some people see it as and make them now look pointless.

People like those long distances. If you don't, you can do the exact same gameplay (minus the long supercruise journey) at a destination that is closer.

So please explain what you are being soft locked against as I don't get it.
Wow, soft-locked by making players stare at the dark screen for tens of minute where there is not even a single NPC interaction so that other players who themselves are boring enough to consider it as valid gameplay get to access all the game content? How brilliant!

I hope those who enjoy enduring the boredom of hands-off gameplay or the exclusivity to the soft-locked game content that requires no skills but time (which is a luxury to some people who have better things to do and still want to experience what the game has to offer) can understand more about how the MAJORITY of the players have in mind from this video by Obsidian Ant:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVCrtydS26E&t=219s

and somehow relevant but great videos by The Yamiks on the forum dad's mentality:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQrGWkPUWI

Then stop insulting yourself by not using some common sense. See If I see a planet 600k LS. The first thing I do is look to see if anyone else been to that system or not then ask my self is the credits worth the reward. If not you still have 399,999,999,999 systems I can explore.
Avoidng is no solution to the problem but WASTING certain parts of the game. This is not "common sense" but stubbornness
NO I DON'T SEE A NEED TO SPEED UP SUPERCRUISE TRAVEL. - is that clear enough for you nani?

How errogant do you need to be to exclude others opinion simply because you have no such need in a suggestion thread?
Get over yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, soft-locked by making players stare at the dark screen for tens of minute where there is not even a single NPC interaction so that other players who themselves are boring enough to consider it as valid gameplay get to access all the game content? How brilliant!
So please tell, what gameplay is softlocked. As far as I know you can do all gameplay at places much closer. You choose.

nobody is forcing me to play this game at all. I just think that staring at a screen saver for an hour doesn't qualify as gameplay. I don't understand why ANYONE would want to waste an hour of their time staring at a Windows 95 screensaver or even 10 minutes. Your time on this planet is limited. Don't squander it.
Then don't do it. I don't enjoy it either, but some seem to like it. Let them have their long distance travel, I can do everything there is much closer to the jump star.

Top Bottom