Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Well, i took the plunge. Mixed feelings.

Got it at half price so all expansions at less than i paid for the original version
After three years they have basically gotten the game fixed to the features they promised at launch.
Graphics have been improved
Less creatures / animals on planets though, like 1-3 animals at most per planet (do they worry that their procedural diversity is not up to snuff - I know it wasnt on release)
Still a lot of "gradual" pop ins of objects.
In the first version i basically had maxed out the ship and multi-tool after 30 hours or so and this version feels a lot slower and gradual in progression.

It's still the same grind though but i have no need to hurry.

When ED 1.0 was launched, it contained what FD said it would contain. Anyone buying it on launch day got exactly what he paid for.

Yup, it also feels like after they added airless worlds to land on David Braben was satisfied and mentally left the project and let others take over.

1.0 was a perfect updated version of the classic Elite 30+ years ago where you could land on space stations - but most people remember Elite II and want to land everywhere so they added the moons.

After 1.0 every expansion except planets to land on has been an imagineless grindfest for parts and upgrades or slightly different ships or poorly implemented mechanics for multiplayer.

And do not get me started on the hamfisted Powerplay mechanics.

Does anyone know if the VR mode being introduced in 2.0 allows the game to be played totally using the VR controllers? ie: So on the PC you could play on the Oculus using only the touch controllers, and not having to revert to a keyboard/mouse/joystick?

Does anyone know if the VR mode being introduced in 2.0 allows the game to be played totally using the VR controllers? ie: So on the PC you could play on the Oculus using only the touch controllers, and not having to revert to a keyboard/mouse/joystick?
That’s what the previews have shown - when using vehicles the player can use a virtual HOTAS along the lines of VTOL VR. You can see it in the VR reveal trailer where the floating hands latch on to the throttle and stick.

That’s what the previews have shown - when using vehicles the player can use a virtual HOTAS along the lines of VTOL VR. You can see it in the VR reveal trailer where the floating hands latch on to the throttle and stick.
Cool... If I can playing the entire game just using the Oculus Touch controllers that would be great!

Although I am worried how the motion system will work! I assume walkign around will be traditional walking/movement just using on of the controllers (eg: a joystick under the thumb) which can produce epic motion sickness!

Cool... If I can playing the entire game just using the Oculus Touch controllers that would be great!

Although I am worried how the motion system will work! I assume walkign around will be traditional walking/movement just using on of the controllers (eg: a joystick under the thumb) which can produce epic motion sickness!
Thankfully I don’t suffer from that but as well as smooth walking there is also a teleport option. I’m looking forward to seeing how all the different locomotion methods and VR/flatscreen players all interact.

Thankfully I don’t suffer from that but as well as smooth walking there is also a teleport option. I’m looking forward to seeing how all the different locomotion methods and VR/flatscreen players all interact.
They'll support teleport movement too? Wow! That will be interesting to see working considering VR players can play alongside non-VR players!?!

They'll support teleport movement too? Wow! That will be interesting to see working considering VR players can play alongside non-VR players!?!
It should make it easy to spot the VR players though - they’ll be waving their arms around like loonies and some of them will be moving around like Japanese lasses who crawl out of TV’s :)

That's my understanding they have. They've updated and changed everything to fit the use of the wands. Not sure how they've solved any keyboard input though.

Apparently you can choose what method you move around with, teleport or walking.

Ninja'd

Day after tomorrow, should be interesting.
:)

My own thoughts on VR, even though I wouldn't/couldn't use it, or I may buy one for use in limited situations.
Anyway my view is, if you like the art style (I do a lot), then it should blow players away, can you imagine caves, underwater etc.. Wow..
I look forward to those using it, to tell me if it's worth buying, simply for seeing the odd sight..

Anyway my view is, if you like the art style (I do a lot), then it should blow players away, can you imagine caves, underwater etc.. Wow..
I too am a fan of the art style, I’ve never really got the (often dismissive) claim that it’s “cartoony” - I grew up with books stuffed with the art of Peter Elson, Jim Burns, Chris Foss etc. and to me NMS looks like those pictures brought to life.

I’m really looking forward to stepping into those worlds, and hopefully not blaarrrpping first time I do a jet pack jump :)

I think it has more to do with competence. HG with 25 employees (currently) can do more and better than another with 100 or more.
Not seeing it mate. NMS gameplay loops are about as basic as they can. The graphical fidelity and textures are extremely basic too. What is so good about NMS. Even planetary exploration, which the game is all about is trash.

There are too many planets with the same crap on them and they end up feeling the same.

Sorry but if you put NMS Devs in a game like ED I bet they will be completely lost. All you need to do is look at the discovery scanners to see how much effort goes into the game. Hell even one ship is a major undertaking because of the detailed textures.

Yup, I find it difficult to come to that conclusion.

Not seeing it mate. NMS gameplay loops are about as basic as they can. The graphical fidelity and textures are extremely basic too. What is so good about NMS. Even planetary exploration, which the game is all about is trash.

There are too many planets with the same crap on them and they end up feeling the same.

Sorry but if you put NMS Devs in a game like ED I bet they will be completely lost. All you need to do is look at the discovery scanners to see how much effort goes into the game. Hell even one ship is a major undertaking because of the detailed textures.

Yup, I find it difficult to come to that conclusion.

What you wrote correctly fits my description of ED. ;)

Are you really saying the NMS has better textures and graphics then ED?

Trash exploration, planets repeated throughout the galaxy (Ctrlc + CtrlV), Stations are also copies of each other, basic missions, completely empty and lifeless planets, empty universe. Even the combat that was good at ED with a lot of incompetence, when they added the engineers they managed to ruin it. Lack of persistence at points of interest, among other things.

Trash exploration,
Ere, Nope.

planets repeated throughout the galaxy (Ctrlc + CtrlV),
Every planet is unique.

Stations are also copies of each other,
There many different types of station.

basic missions,
If you only look at them on their own. But with the BGS they have a very different meaning. But they could be better.

completely empty and lifeless planets
That would be because atmospheric and planets with complex life haven't been added yet. I would hope Fdev when they do add it, it will be much better and realistic then NMS.

empty universe.
Empty? You haven't looked around much then.

Even the combat that was good at ED with the incompetence of the developers, when they added the engineers they managed to ruin it.
If you over engineer your ship to make NPC combat easy, that's your own fault.

:sleep:

Every planet is unique.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There many different types of station.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
If you only look at them on their own. But with the BGS they have a very different meaning. But they could be better.

Is not better because it lacks competence
That would be because atmospheric and planets with complex life haven't been added yet. I would hope Fdev when they do add it, it will be much better and realistic then NMS.
More than five years waiting.....:sleep:

Empty? You haven't looked around much then.
Still empty

If you over engineer you ship to make NPC combat easy, that's your own fault.
NPC combat?! Is that what you call combat? Fighting NPCs is easy with or without engineers. The problem is other PVP players who left the game after engineers. What was already empty became even more empty.

Top Bottom