I'm wondering now about the criteria needed to find Raxxla. See if you agree with any of these.

1) Must be Elite, Triple Elite, or Elite in just Combat?
2) Must have a Founders Permit, or other systems permit?
3) Must play in Open?
4) Locked behind a permit we can't get? (not in the game yet)?
5) Must have an engineered Exploration or Surface scanner, to see the DW?

Just interested in anyone's opinion on the criteria needed?

o7...
1) No. Those would be Dark Wheel criteria. I'm guessing that just Elite will do for TDW. Possibly connected to to the Founders permit.
2) Not unless Raxxla is in that permit locked system.
3) Doubt it. Unless they have an actor on standby, to welcome you. ;)
4) Possibly
5) No. Scanners want help you. Engineered or not. Only eyes will do.

My opinion:

1. Maybe - but it's only one of many criteria, given how many Elite and Triple Elite players are out there
2. Founders goes with 1.*
3. No
4. No*
5. No

* My theory is that Raxxla is permit-locked and the route to obtaining that permit is via TDW.

Should be a sector permit then. If TDW knows the system, they should have found it by now.

Every inch of Eafots has been covered by 1000s of CMDRs. There is nothing in the rift that hasn't already been found.....

Well I reached the CoR tourist beacon this morning. Then plotted a short route, 11 jumps directly above the galactic plane. On only my second jump.....39 bodies, 5 discovered, 0 mapped. That includes multiple moons with more biological and geological sites that you can shake a stick at, which no human has ever been near.

Weather I find Raxxla or not, I already feel somewhat vindicated! ;-)

Moles ! Moles ! I see moles everywhere ! Help !

Btw, who can say what part of the "continuation will be played out in the game" is/has been actually played ? Mmmh?
(Really interesting to us would be the part which has not already been played..)

I think only two engineers were confirmed by Premonition as having links to the Club: Elvira Martuk and Bill Turner. Still trust Felicity, want Lori’s phone number, Palin definitely untrustworthy.

the other evening was watching a dvd of a 1970s tv series (Lotus Eaters) where a woman went mad, saw tarantulas everywhere, and killed her spouse with a cricket bat to swat the spiders on him. Everyone in Scytale’s family- quickly remove any cricket bats from his vicinity! Perhaps he’s been reading Wind in the Willows late at night after wine & cheese 😉

It might be that Raxxla is indeed within the bubble. There are a couple of locked systems there with no apparent source of the permit; Witches Reach (I think) springs to mind, but there is also an unpopulated system quite close to Shinrarta which I’ve had suspicions over. Since there is no faction there it seems impossible to get the permit, but possibly there is a route via TDW? (Edit: and Raxxla or TDW station might well be hidden in an unpopulated system). Having a permit-locked system would be an easy way for DB to be able to say they knew why nobody had found Raxxla- they know that nobody has the permit. It would be easy programming to monitor personal status and flag up an alarm when somebody gets a specific permit.
In which case in the Codex the DW toast, Omphalos, & Astrophel would all be filler with no substance.... discuss!

P.s. I’m friendly with all engineers (inc Colonia) but the new one, l5 with all but one I think (l3 with one in Colonia), but never received any invite. I think this line of thought is a red herring.

Last edited:
I think only two engineers were confirmed by Premonition as having links to the Club: Elvira Martuk and Bill Turner. Still trust Felicity, want Lori’s phone number, Palin definitely untrustworthy.

Only two confirmed, but his comment by Infrastructure made me think the Club was behind the entire concept:
"
‘Of course not,’ Infrastructure gestured expansively. ‘What do you think
all this was about? The clandestine technology acquisition aimed at ensuring
that necessary advances took place according to a certain timetable, fanning
the flames of war between the Federation and the Empire to ensure humanity
has a fleet that has a chance in the coming battle. The encouragement of the
space-faring masses to grow their skills in the Arena and weaponise their ships
courtesy of those oh-so-convenient “Engineers.” We don’t intend to allow
humanity to be cannon fodder in someone else’s war.

"

P.s. I’m friendly with all engineers (inc Colonia) but the new one, l5 with all but one I think (l3 with one in Colonia), but never received any invite. I think this line of thought is a red herring.
Yeah I agree. I only mentioned it because it came up in conversation. Plus, I asked on a separate thread last night if anybody has grade 5 with all engineers. They do and it apparently unlocks nothing.

Scytale

Banned
G5 + 3E + King/Adm + Permits +TDW rep + Lot of discoveries + Lot of Ly +...
Maybe not so many players.
But that wouldn't match with that 2014 statement by DB... Who at that time could have summed all these ? Besides, there weren't Engineers..

Last edited:
Polaris.

I'm jealous of that book you have, simulacrae. It's funny because I remember having that book as a child. My uncle played frontier elite on the commodore 64 and I don't think he had any idea there was a connection
Exactly the same as me. My uncle got me into gaming and Elite from 1984. He also had the book which he eventually gave to me ( probably had no idea it was linked with Elite ) I still have the book which is right on my desk now.

So, looking at the map posted by Simulacrae, I've noticed that the the human sector goes up and touches (or in some way you "enter") into the Devil's Shroud (The blue smokey-looking clouds). The Oisir-Raxla sector also looks to reach out to the Devil's Shroud. The Black Holes are also showing to be a way "into" said Shroud.

Pete, a transporter of goods ;)

Incidentally I am now a (less than proud) owner of a copy of the Alien World
(the less than proud bit is i am pretty sure that selling used books online these days is just a way to dump all the smoke riddled ones that no one buys in the store, but other than the stench are in "great condition")

anyhoo i know its been shown before but here is Holdstocks Map showing his fantasy universe including the Oisir-Raxla sector :
Which "lies on the Human side of the Night Wall, the immense barrier of time and space distortion that has resulted from the passage of a subspace galaxy...
this biozone (The Oisir-Raxxla Sector) comprises less than 2000 galaxies, clustered tightly almost into a circle, boarded by the Tharana Void and the Delvonne Void, where there is instability in the fabric of space itself. It is separated from the Human Sector by the Urgenirk Darks, a straggling line of vast black holes lined up along 40 millilon IEons drawing dense strands of dark gass from the Night Wall. This has meant that Human contact with the Oisir-Raxxla has been minimal despite the proximity of the Sectors."
The blue bit beyond the yellow "Night Wall" is the Naranthu Sector where the galaxy of the Dark Wheel is...

If i had to pick a childrens book to look for "cunningly concealed facts about the mysterious locale" of raxxla...
Looks decidedly low on the sci and high on the fi.

I don't mean that in any kind of derogatory way just to be clear. :D Just an observation about the nature of the situation.

The implication is that if there's any connection to the TAW, then it's going to be rooted in a translation from a sci-FI paradigm to a SCI-fi paradigm.

(Hope that the capitalisation makes sense there. :D )

Looks decidedly low on the sci and high on the fi.

I don't mean that in any kind of derogatory way just to be clear. :D Just an observation about the nature of the situation.

The implication is that if there's any connection to the TAW, then it's going to be rooted in a translation from a sci-FI paradigm to a SCI-fi paradigm.

(Hope that the capitalisation makes sense there. :D )
Ya true i had a similar book growing up "Spacewrecks" there was a kind of genere where they would take a collection of random evocative space themed art and fantasy art and string it together to create a narrative. Its very much about story telling and imagination. But after reading it i think it was a source of ideas for not just raxxla in elite.

Ya true i had a similar book growing up "Spacewrecks" there was a kind of genere where they would take a collection of random evocative space themed art and fantasy art and string it together to create a narrative. Its very much about story telling and imagination. But after reading it i think it was a source of ideas for not just raxxla in elite.
"Its very much about story telling and imagination" - That rules it out of being related to ED 🤣

Oh, I've no doubt. IIRC Holdstock also wrote a lot of the manual for the original Elite as well as TDW. There's a lot of stuff in there that isn't in TDW. Most of it never made it into Elite, FE2 or FFE. Some of it has made it into ED, other bits partly have, and other parts absolutely haven't. It'd be interesting to see how the manual compares to The Alien World.

Top Bottom