Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

This, for me. I've never had any hankering for the big ships anyway, so carriers hold little appeal. And I fully expect a great wailing and rending of garments when the fuel requirements for jumps are announced. At least I hope... if Beagle Point in 130 jumps becomes as trivial as it sounds, I think I might be done with the game.

The 500ly jumps are bound to make the map smaller, however, I suspect that very few will use them for exploration. Why haul one of those fuel gobbling things to far flung places? It can be difficult enough dragging a DBX to some places.

And yes, the jump range will dramatically reduce the amount of jumps but as you say, the inevitable time it will take to gather the required substances will probably mean a balance, you can imagine it will take as much time for one fleet carrier to gather enough substances to make the 500ly jump as it takes one DBX to cover 500ly.

I suspect that most will be used in and around the bubble. Like that bloke walking up and down the road with his violent dog.

This, for me. I've never had any hankering for the big ships anyway, so carriers hold little appeal. And I fully expect a great wailing and rending of garments when the fuel requirements for jumps are announced. At least I hope... if Beagle Point in 130 jumps becomes as trivial as it sounds, I think I might be done with the game.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I was ambivalent about Fleet Carriers, as I couldn't really see much use for one as a solo player;my interest was piqued when I read that they could be fitted out for different purposes, and I thought that using one as a base of operations whilst deep into the black would be rather fun, but... if it has a 500 year jump range (and who knows if it is neutron boostable) and there isn't some highly limiting factor like fuel gathering, or number of jumps per day, then it will render the wonder of the size and scale of the galaxy a bit pointless. And then the last nail into the coffin of my enjoyment of exploration will be driven in, and thats it. I'll probably never leave the bubble again at that point.

And in bubble, I just transfer my ships around as I want to, plus I don't actually have too many of them. I don't want to have to end up engineering 36 ships or however many there are these days :D

I'm still carrying a candle for the lamented loss of Ice Planets too.

So I think the answer is a qualified "No" from me on whether I want a carrier or not. More details are required, and they aren't forthcoming at present, as is usual ;)

Carriers?
As a part time player I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.
Would be nice to park one in the Pleiades or Witch Head and use it as a quick response base for AX operations so I can switch between the Krait, Mamba, Challenger and T10 without having to pay tens of millions for ship transfer, or I could use one to relocate all my ships to Colonia at once and save billions.
Will it have cargo space so I can finally do one of those "transport 2567 units of whatever", or use it to store cargo for engineers instead of lugging it around everywhere I go?
I had a billion plus when I bought my T10. I wrote off half of that A-rating it. I shudder to think what a fully outfitted fleet carrier will end up costing.

Re-engineering the 3C MC's for the 'Conda. Decided to give them another go so now I have the choice of fully engineered frags or MC's. Which is nice.

Back to the Carriers... I wonder how much they'll cost? The more I think about it, the more I think they'll be out of my price range. Although, yeah, giving them a 500LY jump will make the bubble feel really small. On the flip side, it may make me finally go into the black and/or visit Colonia :D .

It would be nice to have space legs for the carrier. It'd make me feel like I really own a behemoth of "that's no moon!" type station. I wonder if they can be fittted with a fully operational superlaser... probably need a 25A slot. Or perhaps ocular parabolae concentrated horizontal beam energy weapons*

* from a show I really can't beleive I actually watched after episode one. Ya way yo.

I admit they do look mighty cool. I'm not sure what I'd do with one, other than just enjoy the ridiculous opulence of owning one. It might be kinda cool to have my own little mobile base. It'll depend on cost and usability. If it's a grind to use, then probably no.

I hope they make them easy to afford and easy to fuel. Otherwise I doubt I'd get much use out of one.

So I guess I'm in the "wait and see" camp at the moment.

I DO think it's cool to see the game getting attention, though. It's clear that FD haven't given up on ED yet, in fact they are working hard to get new players, what with all the new training stuff coming in Sept.

My outlook is positive. :D

I'm rather drawn to what appears to be the Exploration Support Vessel:

... best I go learn how to do explody-core VO mining I suppose. :rolleyes:

Well,i think it all depends on the implementation.There could be a lot of gameplay in actually building the thing.I mean, if you're spending x billion on a single purchase of untested equipment, only the most impulsive would demand it be off the shelf.We have to wait and see what is what until they are introduced.In the meantime there is only speculation.
How cool would it be to visit the shipyard during construction,to oversee
each phase,and here's the kicker,you have to provide all of the neccessary materials for it's construction.
After 6 months of hard grinding,it's launch day.Gaily coloured banners,bands playing,even a fly past by the Golden Yarrows acrobatic display team.Your new crew,dressed smartly in their livery,present themselves to you as you take command of your latest accquisition, seating yourself in the imposing chair.
You give the order to undock and depart and watch as your stokers thrust bundles of Arx into the furnace,building up steam.
You are finally underway.
I think they could be extremely valuable to a well organised squadron with clear strategic aims,but for a bumpkin like me,not so much.

Hmm. So what if a ganker gang get's on your case and decides to take out your carrier? The rebuy cost will be astronomical. Perhaps they'll make them all Capt. Scarlet.

Outfitted a Krait Phantom for exploration, did the guardian site for the blueprint of the guardian FSD booster, got the materials and unlocked it, now minor twicking so i can get back to the void.

(ps- named it "Menace", so u get the... Phantom menace) :)

Oh! And added a nice lick of back paint just to get in the right "mood"

Last edited:
Outfitted a Krait Phantom for exploration, did the guardian site for the blueprint of the guardian FSD booster, got the materials and unlocked it, now minor twicking so i can get back to the void.

(ps- named it "Menace", so u get the... Phantom menace) :)

Oh! And added a nice lick of back paint just to get in the right "mood"

Show us a pic of your paint job...

Deleted member 38366

D
Got bored in the bubble and now back in the black, doing an Elysian Shore ELW survey.

Notably, had a few FCS malfunctions (another HOTAS bites the dust), so I'm running on makeshift auxiliary Flight Control channels for a few functions.
Good thing I'm out in the black, me flying in any Combat Scenario right now would look funny.

Also needed to restock on some high-grade Elements, so I combined it all.
"No rock left behind" ;)

Top Bottom