What will you use your carrier for?

Players with a Carrier will HAVE to log in on a regular basis to maintain their carrier

Nothing they've said has indicated this AFAIK. My bet is you'll pay regular maintenance much like you do on ships (wear and tear), but since it's indestructible, failing to take care of the wear and tear will remove the ability to jump, possibly also rendering other services unavailable. Of course, this is also just guess work at this point.

If there is some penalty relative to carriers for absences from the game, that will definitely be a big X in the con column for me.

Need to know more about them but it would make a nice forward operation base to explore with. We’ll see what’s available for mining because it could be interesting to use it to tank up material and then bring it in. Could be interesting.

We still don't know enough about Fleet Carriers in order to determine their functionality.
For me personally it depends on how often we can jump and how hard it will be to get the needed fuel.
I'd love to have a mobil exploration base though with several different ships onboard.

Nothing they've said has indicated this AFAIK. My bet is you'll pay regular maintenance much like you do on ships (wear and tear), but since it's indestructible, failing to take care of the wear and tear will remove the ability to jump, possibly also rendering other services unavailable. Of course, this is also just guess work at this point.

If there is some penalty relative to carriers for absences from the game, that will definitely be a big X in the con column for me.

Well apparently the Carriers require upkeep. I will admit the nature of that upkeep is yet unknown, but 'upkeep' of some degree is needed. Im betting that 'Upkeep' is a login and player retention mechanic. So for that to work i would bet the consequences of not 'upkeeping' your carrier be something significant enough to encourage regular logins.

linked to 7:46

I doubt that Carriers will have a trading post, so using them for mining somewhere in Deep Space will be limited.
Not unless cargo storage is about to become a thing, I mean, you would almost kind of have to, to keep mining viable, If you were out in the boonies mining, you'd have to put those materials somewhere before jumping back to sell the stuff.

I can see me doing quite a couple of things. Grinding ridiculous amounts of credits for carrier and unobtainium for fuel isnt one of them.
Based on what little we know today, I agree that carriers seem fairly useless. They are just another ship to upgrade and engineer.

I was really hoping to hear about some compelling new gameplay around carriers, but there was nothing. I was hoping to hear about something for veteran players, but nothing.

Seems the game has truly hit a dead end. Here's hoping for last quarter of 2020 I guess.

Have either of you ever left the bubble? There are VAST amounts of resources that are out there in the galaxy they are largely untapped because you have to way to haul them in large amounts back to the bubble to make going out there worth it.

There is also supposedly alot of things to find out there, but again, since no one knows where these things are, there isn't a local base of operations in which to make wandering around looking for things worth it.

Because in trying to find one thing, you find another, leaving you to pretty much ditch it because you don't have the right ship. "Aw shucks, I'm out here in my explorer ship but because I dont have a mining ship, I guess I have to let this cache of void opals just go to waste."

Hell this has the potential to change the face of exploration. See right now, explorers have to play the min-max game when it comes to jump range, foregoing things that normal people have, things like weapons, sometimes shields, most of the structural integrity of the ship hull all in attempt to have the lowest mass to give the farthest range. Now we might actually see ships with some extra scanners or even weapons they wouldn't normally have, because they have their forward operations base nearby, within 500LY. This would allow frontier to put in equipment based gameplay without feeling like they are screwing explorers in the asp.

This would allow pirates and subsequently bounty hunters to expand their forays into deep space to find victims.

And the big one that no body is talking about, Colonization gameplay. Fleet carriers open up the possibility of potential colonization of star systems and thus allow players to expand the bubble or create their own bubble like Colonia but in a direct, player run way.

See right now, explorers have to play the min-max game when it comes to jump range, foregoing things that normal people have, things like weapons, sometimes shields, most of the structural integrity of the ship hull all in attempt to have the lowest mass to give the farthest range.
We do? Huh...

Have either of you ever left the bubble? There are VAST amounts of resources that are out there in the galaxy they are largely untapped because you have to way to haul them in large amounts back to the bubble to make going out there worth it.

There is also supposedly alot of things to find out there, but again, since no one knows where these things are, there isn't a local base of operations in which to make wandering around looking for things worth it.

Because in trying to find one thing, you find another, leaving you to pretty much ditch it because you don't have the right ship. "Aw shucks, I'm out here in my explorer ship but because I dont have a mining ship, I guess I have to let this cache of void opals just go to waste."

Hell this has the potential to change the face of exploration. See right now, explorers have to play the min-max game when it comes to jump range, foregoing things that normal people have, things like weapons, sometimes shields, most of the structural integrity of the ship hull all in attempt to have the lowest mass to give the farthest range. Now we might actually see ships with some extra scanners or even weapons they wouldn't normally have, because they have their forward operations base nearby, within 500LY. This would allow frontier to put in equipment based gameplay without feeling like they are screwing explorers in the asp.

This would allow pirates and subsequently bounty hunters to expand their forays into deep space to find victims.

And the big one that no body is talking about, Colonization gameplay. Fleet carriers open up the possibility of potential colonization of star systems and thus allow players to expand the bubble or create their own bubble like Colonia but in a direct, player run way.
I have no idea what you`#re talking about. You're already indoctrinated with the power creep I deem. I was out there in the good old days. It was boring for the most part, but I got a couple of pretty screenshots from it.
Good luck combing the desert with a little hairbrush, maybe you find the odd grain in a quintillion that is special.

I am wondering how a single player will use their carrier.
What's the difference in storing your ships in a station, compared to storing them in your carrier? There is always a station within a minute or two.
Ok, you can jump your carrier. But how many of your ships do you need to use in the system you jumped to?
When I jump to a system, it's for a purpose. So I take the ship suitable for that purpose. I don't need to have all my other ships there too.
Plus I should think it would be costly to jump a carrier, using up hard earned mats you collected.
I am sure I must be missing something. But I don't see how useful they will be.

I will enjoy the opportunity to have all my ships in one spot and send them wherever I need them. Ive never been a fan of the ship transfer system so this will hopefully be a nice way to get around that.

Also, it would be good fun to run the engineering circuit with all my ships in tow!

We do? Huh...
Now you're just being disingenuous. It's long since been understood that exploration is more quantity over quality gameplay, and only recently has Fdev even started trying to swing it back towards quality. As such the vast majority of explorer builds are low mass focused, some builds going to extremes.

Top Bottom