Notice ARX and Frontier Points Conversion

Did no-one else notice..... Adam said you need to logout to the main menu to get your ARX.... So cloggers beware you will lose any ARX earnings for that session !!!

I do not think that this will work as you imagine. Otherwise, I can imagine those mails to FD support - "I was in the game for XY hours and suddenly my Internet connection died... Can you refund me my ARXs ?" :)

Truly feel like the Frontier employees collectively dropped their pants and slapped us all in the face with their "members."

Last edited:
And yet...we still can't customize UI colours properly without editing config files and making mess of things. Is it even on the list anywhere down the line? The only part of ship you see and interact on regular basis has zero customization. If you don't count goofy bobbleheads and absolutely ghastly lights.

And no, I am not trying to say that everything is OK. I am just trying to say that there are no other options. So we have everything we can have.

I do not think that this will work as you imagine. Otherwise, I can imagine those mails to FD support - "I was in the game for XY hours and suddenly my Internet connection died... Can you refund me my ARXs ?" :)

I hope it does, a few support requests would be a small price to pay for putting an ARX tax on Combat Logging.

I know that it is out of place, but one thing that I consider important is the sense of depth in the cabin, sometimes I do not feel that I am in a large or small boat. Has any of this been said?

Deleted member 110222

D
I don't know why anyone here is acting so shocked.

I've been saying for years that Elite Dangerous is not special. It is not an exception to the rule with MMO design, and like it or not but micros are part of the design.

The packages FD have put on display today are remarkably similar to the offerings of most other games with similar premium currencies, with bigger bundles incurring a discount. I play several MMOs so I do know what I am talking about.

Yes, FD said you could earn skins for free. But that doesn't mean you will. The free Arx is meant to tempt you into paying that little bit extra for more. The fact FD is giving us any for free is actually the only non-conventional design choice made here.

I never thought for a moment that I'd never be paying real money again for a skin in Elite. If you did think that, you were naive at best. At worst? Nah' not worth the ban. XD

Welcome to the world of MMOs. I hope that this move by FD is a wake-up call for those who still doggedly insist that Elite is "special".

It isn't. It's a service game. Always was, and always will be.

Personally I'm fine with it all. It's a proven business model and is why ESO is doing so bloody well right now. You guys do want to play this game for as long as possible right? Well that requires sales after initial purchase.

It would be foolish to think FD would cut themselves off their only post-purchase revenue stream without a sustainable replacement that quite simply doesn't exist.

You know. Unless you want engineering material loot boxes. Oh did I say that out loud?

And all of a sudden we learn that the dreaded "Connection Error" drop was never a bug all along, but a stealthy "feature" designed in advance to mitigate Arx farming. Frontier were playing the long game...

I don't know why anyone here is acting so shocked.
It's those rainbow tinted cockpits, available for only 7395 arx per ship.
I've been saying for years that Elite Dangerous is not special. It is not an exception to the rule with MMO design, and like it or not but micros are part of the design.
The packages FD have put on display today are remarkably similar to the offerings of most other games with similar premium currencies, with bigger bundles incurring a discount. I play several MMOs so I do know what I am talking about.
And the sudden shift in the numbers being used from a simple flat £ value you can easily keep track of to a more arbitrary number of "points" per £ is a classic example of what Jim Sterling calls a "Confuseopoly" designed explicitly for the purpose of making it harder to keep track of your spending.
Yes, FD said you could earn skins for free. But that doesn't mean you will. The free Arx is meant to tempt you into paying that little bit extra for more. The fact FD is giving us any for free is actually the only non-conventional design choice made here.
I never thought for a moment that I'd never be paying real money again for a skin in Elite. If you did think that, you were naive at best. At worst? Nah' not worth the ban. XD
Like, I've earned hundreds of Cartel Coins in SWTOR, through achievements. But was NEVER under the illusion that the total number I made from that over all my playtime would ever be enough to afford more than maybe a single weapon skin. I suspect many ED players were unfamiliar with this business model.
You know. Unless you want engineering material loot boxes. Oh did I say that out loud?
I mean, we were all thinking it. Except Frontier, they probably already had someone at work implementing the backend for it.

@PavelKCZ

I'm fortunate to have a stable connection and the game very rarely crashes these days, this is a no brainer for me, but I see the point you make.

It will be interesting to find out what approach F.D. take to inelegant disconnections and attribution of accumulated ARX.

Hang on, the price to arx ratios are really weird here.
Arx per pound values of the packs:
5k pack: 1672 arx per £
8.4k pack: 1683 with bonus, 1563 without
16.8k pack: 1681 with bonus, 1591 without
25.5k pack: 1701 with bonus, 1614 without
51k pack: 1700 with bonus, 1600 without
85k pack: 1700 with bonus, 1400 without

So the moment these bonuses get cancelled or anything, the best value per money is the 5k pack?

Are you sure, your calculations are correct. I get:
5k pack: 1672 arx per £
8.4k pack: 1768 with bonus, 1683 without
16.8k pack: 1772 with bonus, 1681 without
25.5k pack: 1788 with bonus, 1701 without
51k pack: 1800 with bonus, 1701 without
85k pack: 2000 with bonus, 1700 without

It's the bonus points which should motivate to buy bigger packs. Hence, I think, they are going to stay.
Also, if you stay away from the 49.99 investment with that really nice bonus, the 4.99 one is a nice step up from the 2.99

Top Bottom