Do "purple-haired heroes" scare everyone into Solo?

This is my first CG on PC, woo! I've been "ship watching" at one of the CG stations, and the flow of CMDR trading traffic has been steady. Finally I decided to grab a few tons of grain in my Dolphin to do my part, and on my return to the system I was chased by two very persistent griefers. To my amazement, I escaped two interdiction attempts and also survived an attack in normal space. I love my Dolphin!

After playing cat-n-mouse with the griefers for about 20 minutes, give or take, I decided I wanted to actually sell these goods and get properly "registered" with the CG, so I switched to Solo, landed at the station, sold my goods, and then switched to Open again. Thing is, the station was just as empty in Open as it was in Solo! Ironic, since I was going to ask in local comms how everybody was getting past the griefer blockage. Maybe I got my answer - maybe everyone switched to Solo! Either that or everyone went to bed while was playing with griefers, or perhaps I wasn't allowed back into the original instance I was in...

So I'm asking the question here - does a griefer "blockade" cause the majority of players (the ones trading) to switch to Solo when participating in a CG? While I survived my cat-n-mouse with the griefers, I wasn't able to actually get close enough to the station to safely drop from SC. And let's face it, if I was serious about trade, I would have been there in a bigger ship, not my "let's play with griefers" Dolphin.

The other question I have is, where are all the valiant PvP protectors I keep hearing about but never see? Why do griefers own supercruise with no opposition? Don't go pointing fingers at me, I just started over, and I did my bit for queen and country by distracting those griefers for 20+ minutes, keeping them away from serious traders. Where are all you Elite ShinDez Warriors of Justice? Are you hiding under your beds?

EDIT

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about people switching from Open to Solo FOREVER, but just for a trading CG while griefers are blockading the system.

Last edited:
If it's a blockade, then how is that griefing?
Semantics. Call them whatever you want - purple-haired heros, I don't care. I don't have any beef with them (I played with them and provided them "content" for over 20 minutes, after all). I'm just curious if the average trader switches from Open to Solo when [insert politically correct term for purple haired people who like to destroy trading vessels] are in the system.

Really? There's a better way to look at it.

• Ages ago, new player advice was to stick to solo because open is the pvp server. Only go there when you're ready (skills and equipment). Okay good advice. Actual advice. No ideals.
  • After playing and learning more, you realise there's an outfitting cost (flexibility) to pvp.
  • There's no incentive for playing in open to compensate for the outfitting cost.
  • Found mobius.
  • Who cares about open.
The end.

Sorry Old Duck, that didn't sound like griefing to me, but rather a couple players enforcing a blockade. Defaulting to calling them names is making a statement that presumably "non-griefer" play styles is somehow more valid and correct than theirs, which is of course pure nonsense.

On topic though: imagine how much more fun this game would be if there was only one shared mode. I'd probably never stop playing.

Last edited:
Semantics.
Not really. One is against Terms Of Service (griefing), while the other isn't (blockade).
Call them whatever you want - purple-haired heros, I don't care. I don't have any beef with them (I played with them and provided them "content" for over 20 minutes, after all). I'm just curious if the average trader switches from Open to Solo when [insert politically correct term for purple haired people who like to destroy trading vessels] are in the system.
I personally love trying to run the CG blockades in a horribly underspecced ship (usually T7) through trying to manoeuvre via Supercruise without being interdicted by said blockaders. A ton of fun for me, without any cost, and I hope it gives the blockaders some fun too (while also distracting them from other traders zipping through).

[*]Who cares about open.
Me. So far in this thread everyone has "managed to kill just about every one else other topic, but like a poor marksman you keep missing the target."

The observation is simple - I was playing in open and seeing a TON of CMDR traffic coming and going from the CG station (I was just parked outside watching), then "purple-haired heroes" show up and blockade the system, and then there's hardly no traffic at that same station. This leads me to believe that most of these traders either switched to Solo or PG (that's what I usually do when I'm serious about trading in a CG), or they logged off for the evening, or I got really unlucky with instancing.

How many times do I have to keep typing the same simple question?

(I bet somebody has ninja's me as I type this)

Me. So far in this thread everyone has "managed to kill just about every one else other topic, but like a poor marksman you keep missing the target."

The observation is simple - I was playing in open and seeing a TON of CMDR traffic coming and going from the CG station (I was just parked outside watching), then "purple-haired heroes" show up and blockade the system, and then there's hardly no traffic at that same station. This leads me to believe that most of these traders either switched to Solo or PG (that's what I usually do when I'm serious about trading in a CG), or they logged off for the evening, or I got really unlucky with instancing.

I think plenty of people escape consequences in this game by going to PG or Solo, which is why I mentioned a few posts back that the game experience would be vastly superior if there were one shared mode only in ED where such shenanigans were not possible.

Is there an option the CG could fail? I don't get it. Like players doing the blockade winning or something? I've never really done these, last maybe the Gnosis thing when they asked for tea or the combat initiative in California neb or something. Maybe some Thargoid stuff was also a CG.

Sorry Old Duck, that didn't sound like griefing to me, but rather a couple players enforcing a blockade. Defaulting to calling them names is making a statement that presumably "non-griefer" play styles is somehow more valid and correct than theirs, which is of course pure nonsense.
I've modified the title lest I hurt somebody's feelings...

Well i didn't read your post. Sorry. The same thing came up with robigo vanilla though, thats the first time same topic.

I'm completely a carebare, chuckle in glee at extreme leftist associations that pvp is sexual crime etc etc, but at the same time, i think the world would be a better place if they made incentives for people to get involved in it. I always thought it would be a challenge for frontier to make me get over myself and go there because it was that worth while.

The point is moot because combat logging and cheating still exist, the playing field is broken. If people are using the other game modes as a crutch that's not the best either. Its complicated?

BTW, these noble purple Drazi were doing a shoddy job at running a blockade, considering they chased me half-way around the system, little 'ol me carrying SIX tons of grain, while potentially allowing a fleet of Type-9s bring hundreds of tons of cargo through. Like I said, I might not be able to beat them at combat, but I'm sure good at busting up a so-called "blockade" :p

Really? There's a better way to look at it.

• Ages ago, new player advice was to stick to solo because open is the pvp server. Only go there when you're ready (skills and equipment). Okay good advice. Actual advice. No ideals.
  • After playing and learning more, you realise there's an outfitting cost (flexibility) to pvp.
  • There's no incentive for playing in open to compensate for the outfitting cost.
  • Found mobius.
  • Who cares about open.
The end.
When you realise that it's really not all about cash - so you really don't need to deliver max cargo every time, sacrificing some of the space for defences - it can add some spice to the game.

I used to fly trade CGs in shieldless T9 for excitement, but the excitement was usually very short.
The other problem I have is that you can go too prepared and remove the danger completely.

And Mobius feels desolated.

When you realise that it's really not all about cash - so you really don't need to deliver max cargo every time, sacrificing some of the space for defences - it can add some spice to the game.

I used to fly trade CGs in shieldless T9 for excitement, but the excitement was usually very short.
The other problem I have is that you can go too prepared and remove the danger completely.

And Mobius feels desolated.

If they made and enforced an rp server id be there. Good points.

Top Bottom