Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Currently awaiting the arrival of hrp units to beef up for the coming few days.Decided to see out at least the week here,whilst plans foment.
To facilitate matters i hired on an extra pair of hands for the usual.15 mill + 12%.( So basically .15M)There are some interesting characters amongst the passengers awaiting transfer,but for the next two days i am honing my unarmed space combat skills and getting a grip on how the whole setup works with regard to the whole installation scene.

Which is why I personally think 2way-Seti is too dangerous. Now turn of those radio and cellphone antennae!

The thing is, any sufficiently advanced civilization to cause us intentional threat (I'm excluding us getting infected or similar) can easily see us no matter what we do now. It's too late to hide, and you can't hide and advance technologically. Even just the heat we produce isn't characteristic for an uninhabited planet, and even if we somehow manage to break known thermodynamics in the future, I very much doubt we will be able to travel back in time and stop ever emitting any light that reveal us.

Isaac Arthur have a lot of interesting podcasts, many related to the Fermi paradox and these kind of questions. If you haven't seen him on YouTube, I can highly recommend it. Turn it on while playing and listen!

This is my third trip to Sag A* so I won't be more tempted to peek at it than turn in my data. During the first couple of weeks I turned in my data at some remote stations like the one at Thor's Helmet, I'd be turning it in daily if possible but it hasn't been for quite a while. Once we got so far out I think the only options were to jump ahead to EA or return to the bubble and I didn't want to do either. Once we get within a couple waypoints of EA I'll probably skip ahead and turn in my data then backtrack but I don't want to do a lot of that.

i saw her today on my connexion.jpg

Look ma,no elephluvium !

I saw her today on my connexion..a copper wire nailed to trees..

Last edited:
The thing is, any sufficiently advanced civilization to cause us intentional threat (I'm excluding us getting infected or similar) can easily see us no matter what we do now. It's too late to hide, and you can't hide and advance technologically. Even just the heat we produce isn't characteristic for an uninhabited planet, and even if we somehow manage to break known thermodynamics in the future, I very much doubt we will be able to travel back in time and stop ever emitting any light that reveal us.

Isaac Arthur have a lot of interesting podcasts, many related to the Fermi paradox and these kind of questions. If you haven't seen him on YouTube, I can highly recommend it. Turn it on while playing and listen!
Will certainly do! I'm back in the Bubl making minor adjustments to the Asp, and then it's back to the black. Thanks for the link. (y) I like scoop-jumping while listening to audiobooks, scientific debates or podcasts :)

My comment on 2way-Seti was mostly a sarcastic joke, with a grain of seriousness. I agree that those concerns are way overdue, and that an advanced civilization should be able to find us. I must admit that I also believe in the Great Filter hypothesis, so being discovered is not one of my major concerns.

I decided to mount some of those AX Multicannons on my Krait MKII and head out to Asterope to find some Scouts. I haven't even seen one since way back in the Beta when they were first introduced. But wAsh67 inspired me to give it go.

I did the minimum necessary to outfit the Krait, basically removing most of the internals and replacing with HRPs and one MRP, swapping the weapons for the AX multis, adding a military bulkhead, and swapping one booster for a Xeno scanner, just because. I left the prismatics on it, why not, they're already there.

Jump range went to heck, of course, so I flew out to Asterope in my Anaconda. On the way, I was hyperdicted by 2 Thargoids, one of which warped out immediately. The other followed me, just behind me, for quite a ways. But it never turned hostile and never scanned me.

Once my Krait arrives, I'll see what happens when I try to actually use it on Scouts :)

Will certainly do! I'm back in the Bubl making minor adjustments to the Asp, and then it's back to the black. Thanks for the link. (y) I like scoop-jumping while listening to audiobooks, scientific debates or podcasts :)

My comment on 2way-Seti was mostly a sarcastic joke, with a grain of seriousness. I agree that those concerns are way overdue, and that an advanced civilization should be able to find us. I must admit that I also believe in the Great Filter hypothesis, so being discovered is not one of my major concerns.

I think this is the video where he discuss this particular topic, though he have many more that touch on it.

Hidden Aliens

Also have SoundCloud for actual podcast of you prefer to not play it through YouTube. Weekly videos every Wednesday!

I decided to mount some of those AX Multicannons on my Krait MKII and head out to Asterope to find some Scouts. I haven't even seen one since way back in the Beta when they were first introduced. But wAsh67 inspired me to give it go.

I did the minimum necessary to outfit the Krait, basically removing most of the internals and replacing with HRPs and one MRP, swapping the weapons for the AX multis, adding a military bulkhead, and swapping one booster for a Xeno scanner, just because. I left the prismatics on it, why not, they're already there.

Jump range went to heck, of course, so I flew out to Asterope in my Anaconda. On the way, I was hyperdicted by 2 Thargoids, one of which warped out immediately. The other followed me, just behind me, for quite a ways. But it never turned hostile and never scanned me.

Once my Krait arrives, I'll see what happens when I try to actually use it on Scouts :)

View attachment 147814
I'm based around there. Got interdicted with my haul of void opals, but they just had a look and went their merry way. As far as I'm concerned, they're friendly unless you're not.

Related to this, any good sources for lore/history of what's going on in game?

Related to this, any good sources for lore/history of what's going on in game?
Probably the best overall treatment of history in Elite Dangerous is the Obsidian Ant series. It has history of all the superpowers and other stuff, and a 4 part section on the Thargoids. That'll catch you up to 2017 at least.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmX89YRYfWK2nI2NZAS_87PHM4lC1-DyD

After that it's more of a forum search. Check out the Thargoids and Aliens section, especially the stickied threads:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/elite-dangerous-aliens/

My first encounter with Thargoid Scouts went fairly well. I did not die. A few of them did. Caustic damage was the biggest threat, and rather hard to avoid. The decontamination limpets worked as advertised.

This is me, failing to avoid the caustic cloud left behind by my former enemy. Eww. Fighting these things is like fighting roaches or something. Makes my skin crawl, lol.

My first encounter with Thargoid Scouts went fairly well. I did not die. A few of them did. Caustic damage was the biggest threat, and rather hard to avoid. The decontamination limpets worked as advertised.

This is me, failing to avoid the caustic cloud left behind by my former enemy. Eww. Fighting these things is like fighting roaches or something. Makes my skin crawl, lol.

View attachment 147847
We'll have you in an AX Asp Scout in no time! :D👊

I know, know. There's only three of us fly it.:(

I got cocky and decided to tackle an interceptor in an NHSS5, in the Krait armed with AX multicannons alone.

Suffice to say, no kill but I made it out alive. Just.

I think I hear the Guardians calling, inviting me to the next grind.......

I got cocky and decided to tackle an interceptor in an NHSS5, in the Krait armed with AX multicannons alone.

Suffice to say, no kill but I made it out alive. Just.

I think I hear the Guardians calling, inviting me to the next grind.......
The grind for the weapons is relatively easy. Made simple if all you want to unlock is certain specific variants. I did the 18 blueprint fragments plus associated mats, but did it in stages. I'm still going after scouts. Haven't had the courage to face one of the bigger boys yet.

Top Bottom