Blocking in Elite Dangerous

I'm totally down with this. As a matter of fact, maybe the community could publish a list of known griefers that people can add to their block lists.

I always thought searchable block and public lists were a bad idea, specifically because it could be abused by the sort of player you'd probably rather block.

If and when another player for what ever reason deliberately choose's to keep me from playing my. I block'em!

I was at Dav's Hope this A.M., been there so many times, I've got gathering all ten available items down to 1 minute per round trip; Takes two minutes to relog as to do it again and again until I've reached my goal. Thus I can do 20 round trips per hour which equates to 600 mats per hour. Today some "Richard Noggin" choose to interupt me and started shooting, he/she/it is now blocked. Whom ever it was playing their way, and I didn't want any part of it. If everyone blocked the ganker's, eventually they would have anyone to play with but themselves.
Heh heh, playing with themselves! Is that why ganker rhymes with w@#$er?

Deleted member 182079

D
Anyone in your instance, friend or not, is going to be subject to your instance priorities and vice versa.
I wonder if that explains why I sometimes end up with a couple of T6's but no-one else (at the CG).

I don't currently block anyone ftr.

Or even better, the much spoken by the wise, most massively maligned by the weak, yet most true 2 words in this game : "Git Gud".

Then you wont have to block people. You will have a toolset both in ship loadout and knowhow to handle all of these situations.

And you need to accept the fact also, that sometimes you just wont be able to do certain things, from time-to-time you WILL lose a ship. Its Elite: Dangerous not Elite:Carebear.
Oh come on. We already had a thread for that just last week.

I don't have to 'Git Gud', I 'Am Gud'. Griefers pose no threat, they are not dangerous. I can survive any number of gank attempts without even trying to hard. I can handle all these situations without putting down my glass of wine. No, I will not lose a ship to them. Ganker are just annoying, thats all.
I've been interdicted hundreds of times by multible wings over the years, and the only time I ever dropped my shields was when I was anchoring in our own pvp support while holding out against two wings. I could have waked out minutes before that, and I still survived without problems.
Gankers are just wasting my time.
But the nice thing is, I can choose not to play with annoying people, how cool is that? I'm in no way oblieged to entertain them. And thats exactly what the blocking feature is there for.

I am very strongly of the opinion that Blocking aught to be reserved to COMMS ONLY.

Someone's language offends you, you aught not be forced to hear it.

Someone's gameplay offends you, it is just too bad.

Or even better, the much spoken by the wise, most massively maligned by the weak, yet most true 2 words in this game : "Git Gud".

.. snip ..

But what happens if I am already 'Gud', I don't need to 'Git' better, I am already there? I am that confident in my abilities I don't need to prove them anyone, and it would be just a waste of their time asking.

Don't forget, you are never as good as you think you are, there is always (repeated for emphasis - ALWAYS) someone better than you at any given moment, you just haven't met them yet.

So endeth the lesson :D

But what happens if I am already 'Gud', I don't need to 'Git' better, I am already there? I am that confident in my abilities I don't need to prove them anyone, and it would be just a waste of their time asking.

Don't forget, you are never as good as you think you are, there is always (repeated for emphasis - ALWAYS) someone better than you at any given moment, you just haven't met them yet.

So endeth the lesson :D
Always a bigger fish. Always room to improve. Never said different, never would.

Gavin786

If and when another player for what ever reason deliberately choose's to keep me from playing my. I block'em!

I was at Dav's Hope this A.M., been there so many times, I've got gathering all ten available items down to 1 minute per round trip; Takes two minutes to relog as to do it again and again until I've reached my goal. Thus I can do 20 round trips per hour which equates to 600 mats per hour. Today some "Richard Noggin" choose to interupt me and started shooting, he/she/it is now blocked. Whom ever it was playing their way, and I didn't want any part of it. If everyone blocked the ganker's, eventually they would have anyone to play with but themselves.
IF you logged/changed instance while they were shooting at you, and please forgive me if I am mistaken, but this certainly seems to be what you are saying here, is called "Combat Logging" and is one of the most despicable behaviours in the game, an insult to all the pilots who lost their ships because they chose to play by the rules.

Got no respect from me for this.

Gavin786

IF you logged/changed instance while they were shooting at you, and please forgive me if I am mistaken, but this certainly seems to be what you are saying here, is called "Combat Logging" and is one of the most despicable behaviours in the game, an insult to all the pilots who lost their ships because they chose to play by the rules.

Got no respect from me for this.

Gavin786

Wait one, are you now saying that relogging at Dave's Hope (and other locations like it) is the same as Combat Logging? Are you really, truly saying that? Nowhere did Commander Nemo LXXI state that he logged out whilst under attack, all the stated is that he blocked the low life idiot who was attacking him. Way to jump to the wrong conclusions ....

It will stop people from entering your instance.

It will stop you entering an instance with them in it.

I'm unsure of friends list Vs block list priority, sorry.

Also, yeah, it's a decent idea, I have slowly blocked players who interdict and kill without any comms. They can play with themselves. I've also blocked a lot of combat loggers, both of these player types don't serve to make the galaxy an interesting internally consistent sci fi setting.

I'm a pirate though, so I've probably been blocked a few times myself, as some folk don't even appreciate the more valid (in my opinion) forms of in game confrontation.

I would say, try to be sure they are gankers, don't assume the million plasma FDL is, until they actually act like nuggets.

Last edited:
Wait one, are you now saying that relogging at Dave's Hope (and other locations like it) is the same as Combat Logging? Are you really, truly saying that?
No, I am not saying that. You accuse me of reading too much into Nemo LXXI's post. Looks like you are doing the same with mine.

Nowhere did Commander Nemo LXXI state that he logged out whilst under attack, all the stated is that he blocked the low life idiot who was attacking him. Way to jump to the wrong conclusions ....
Perhaps, if I did jump to the wrong conclusion then my sincere apologies to Commander Nemo LXXI and I will retract my post.

However, to my mind, it certainly seems to be that is what he was saying. He made no mention of how the attack was resolved other than he was logging in and out.

IF anyone LOGS OUT(including using menu) while in the SAME INSTANCE as a HOSTILE CMDR -> That is Combat Logging in my book.(exception: docked at a station)

Gavin786

Last edited:
I always thought searchable block and public lists were a bad idea, specifically because it could be abused by the sort of player you'd probably rather block.
Yeah. I've since come across the strategy of identifying Wanted commanders at CG sites. Also, the Mobius PVE group...

It has become common for certain low-skill PvP groups to use the block feature to give themselves a number advantage in wing fights... this became apparent on Friday during an outlaws vs lawfuls PvP event in open at the CG. The lawfuls were consistently dropping 12 players into instances without problems, while the outlaws couldn't get more than a single wing into the fights. Apparently some players on the lawful side were selectively blocking certain members of the outlaw side to stop them dropping in to give themselves an advantage... this caused the whole event to fall apart and players started logging off to play/stream other games.

Instance blocking is one of the most ill-conceived ideas to ever be implemented in Elite, and there's some serious competition there. It should be restricted to comms (obviously).

A lot of dudes who engineer are really nice guys and you are missing out on a lot by staying in solo.

A lot of those guys would be happy to help you unlock engineers/get mats/get a build together that is survivable and works with your play style.

Just saying...

Gavin786
Thanks, Kevin, but I feel it shouldn't be my or any player's task to weed out the unfair elements that were introduced to ED.

Top Bottom