Roadmap leaked??

adding environment without giving more meaning to the point of being in that environment, will do nothing beneficial after the novelty wears off. It'll be planetary landings all over again.

adding space legs will do what in the game for your gameplay? You almost certainly wouldn't make more money or acquire more materials than you can in srv or ships simply due to the difference in scale. At best, I think this is nohing more than a human version of CQC. At best. At worst, it's a waste of time eye candy novelty that will wear off just as fast as planetary landings did.

What keeps features in the game from becoming all they can be is the fundemantal decisions revolving around single player and multiplayer ...and by trying to be both, you can be neither. This gives us stupid things like a very fake non-limited economy but without any modding functionality, and no ability for player driven content ... so you get none of the benefits of being a single player game and none of the benefits of being a mulitplayer one. That decision trickels into all of the various mechanics in the game and limits each one directly, so even if the developers wanted to and could ...they can't without deciding on what kind of game they want elite dangerous to be, single player or multi. Or keep it both (which is what I think they will, obviously) and basically not be able to implement the best parts of either, and forever be a grindfest for the sake of grinding.

The only people who argue otherwise think that we should implement everything missing in our imagination, becaues it's your choice to play the game for the rewards vs for the journey. I just dont see that as a choice, but rather a very sad compromise, and basically bad game design. And i have multiple accounts and easily a couple hundred bucks in this game. I support many games in this genre, hoping there will be one that can deliver ...one day. Elite is closer than most.

adding environment without giving more meaning to the point of being in that environment, will do nothing beneficial after the novelty wears off. It'll be planetary landings all over again.

That's what FD said as well. Except for the planetary landings part, and i think planetary landings worked out fairly well.

That's why FD said time and again they wouldn't do space legs until they knew what to do with space lets.

We will have to wait and see whether they can make it interesting and fun.

I'm seeing a few posts in this thread from people declaring it will be failure before its even released. Perhaps wait and see?

If it's true, can't wait to walk around ships and stations, if not true, oh well - the least they could do is make the free camera be able to have an infinite range instead.

Thankfully FDev agree with you. Not too sure what you mean about planetary landings though.

adding space legs will do what in the game for your gameplay? You almost certainly wouldn't make more money or acquire more materials than you can in srv or ships simply due to the difference in scale. At best, I think this is nohing more than a human version of CQC. At best. At worst, it's a waste of time eye candy novelty that will wear off just as fast as planetary landings did.
Difficult to know what space legs will add until they reveal it. As to what it can potentially add, well I can see a lot more then what you can. I have no idea why you would think it's a human version of CQC at best. Maybe that's a lack of imagination on your part. Not sure.

What keeps features in the game from becoming all they can be is the fundemantal decisions revolving around single player and multiplayer ...and by trying to be both, you can be neither. This gives us stupid things like a very fake non-limited economy but without any modding functionality, and no ability for player driven content ... so you get none of the benefits of being a single player game and none of the benefits of being a mulitplayer one. That decision trickels into all of the various mechanics in the game and limits each one directly, so even if the developers wanted to and could ...they can't without deciding on what kind of game they want elite dangerous to be, single player or multi. Or keep it both (which is what I think they will, obviously) and basically not be able to implement the best parts of either, and forever be a grindfest for the sake of grinding.
The whole BGS is player driven (I won't mention powerplay as its not very good), everytime I go to a system that's been changed from the last time I was there, it's been changed by players, and that changes the economy too, so I will have to disagree with you there.

The only people who argue otherwise think that we should implement everything missing in our imagination, becaues it's your choice to play the game for the rewards vs for the journey.
It doesn't have to be vs. you can do it for both. The journey should be just as important as the destination. But that's your choice. If you decide to play in a way that the destination is all important then you will grind.

I just dont see that as a choice, but rather a very sad compromise, and basically bad game design. And i have multiple accounts and easily a couple hundred bucks in this game. I support many games in this genre, hoping there will be one that can deliver ...one day. Elite is closer than most.
There doesn't have to be a compromise though, you play for both.

There’s a lot of stuff that could be done with space legs, at least at starports. All kinds of (procedurally generated) mini missions and mini adventure-game-style stories could be triggered by meeting some shady guy in a space bar or some system authority figure in a headquarters. (I can’t help thinking of Sea Dogs/Pirates of the Caribbean, if anyone remembers that from the early 2000s, although E:D is obvs way bigger in scope.) Guardian and Thargoid sites could be massively more interesting and complicated if there were buildings or underground tunnels to enter and explore. Settlements could become something you could even visit, rather than just mission fodder as at present. Missions could include rescuing people from damaged buildings or stations, smuggling items or people past authorities, kidnapping people and sequestering them onto your ship, sabotaging some station facility...

It’s right to say it would need to be properly done or space legs would be pointless. But it’s a bit pessimistic to say it’s going to be pointless without waiting to see what they put in it.

Would love to see other cmdr’s ideas about what could be in space legs...

Yes, they are. And they are not Elite. If I wanted first person action, I would be playing those games.

They may not be Elite. But they've always been planned for Elite Dangerous...

Newsletter 32: 'To Launch, and Beyond with the Lifetime Expansion Pass'

We also plan to allow you to get up out of your seat and walk around your ship. You can see the level of attention and thought that has already been given to the ship interiors from these ship cockpit views in this video:

Of course walking round your ship will be nice, but it is the just springboard for a very significant expansion of gameplay – you will be able to experience the inside of starports and interact with other players and AI characters, and even board other people’s ships in space and take them by force, as shown in this concept piece.

Flightsuit_combatsketch01.jpg

Of course this will be further expanded to include walking around on the surfaces of planets too.

Alpha and Premium Beta customers, and those who have already bought the £35 Lifetime Expansion Pass alongside either Beta or the full game, will have access to all these features and updates for as long as we create them at no further cost.

Elite: Dangerous Development Plan (hosted on Kickstarter page - Dec 2014)

You will be able to walk around the spaceport, you will be able to see gold being loaded into someone else's ship, you will be able to sneak in and hide in amongst the cargo. All of those things are phenomenal game play opportunities where that ship might actually be the ship of another player, so just think where that all ends.

Elite Dangerous Expansion Pass Store Page - [IE the point of sale] (circa July 2014):

We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the planets to come to life. We also want to add leaving the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own. We intend to release small, free updates after launch, but major expansions including rich new features will be charged for, unless you have bought the expansion pass

Newsletter 29: Lifetime Expansion Pass - to be withdrawn from sale

For example, our current roadmap is to add (in no particular order):
  • Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids
  • Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
  • Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
  • Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces
  • Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players
Alpha and Premium Beta customers, and those who have already bought the £35 expansion pass alongside either Beta or the full game, will have access to all these features and updates for as long as we create them at no further cost.

---

Throw in things like periodic suggestions by FDev that it's still their intent...

Come on now. You know this.

Or you should ;)

Yes, they are. And they are not Elite. If I wanted first person action, I would be playing those games.
Why is it not Elite. The only reason why Elite Feet wasn't in the older games was due to technical limitations. Those are now gone.

As to first person action, we already play in a first person perspective anyway. Being able to get out of your seat can only expand that an is a natural progression for the game.

The way you describe it, it's like two completely seperate games. If it's done well, it won't be like that at all. It should be a more seamless natural experience. It won't be spaceship game that suddenly turns into first person shooter for no reason.

As to playing first person games, there are none that are in the ED gameworld.

It would be hilarious if 'elite feet' were introduced and players had to either 'do their business' from ship (as per today) or 'walk' 3Km across the 'port', then back, to pick them from the offices of each faction...
Or walk 25Km for a surface mission (Hutton Orbital for athletes)...

Naturally FDev wouldn't do such a thing, they don't set their game up to maximise time spent doing anything :)

(Just light-hearted banter...)

If (and I think it will be a big IF) the next update is atmo landings I can't see these planets teeming with populations. If there are cities, we might be able to fly over them at a great height, but that would be all. Definitely not zooming down Main St then turning down right at the lights down Grand Braden Avenue ;).

To be honest I would just be happy if the flora is indicative of the planet. For example, low thick vegetation for planets with high gravity, tall willowy ones for low gravity planets. Not asking for much am I :D

they have said from the beginning that the first iteraction of atmosferic planets would be without flora and fauna.

It would be hilarious if 'elite feet' were introduced and players had to either 'do their business' from ship (as per today) or 'walk' 3Km across the 'port', then back, to pick them from the offices of each faction...
Yeah, that would be rather silly.

Or walk 25Km for a surface mission (Hutton Orbital for athletes)...
Equally silly especially when you have an SRV to use instead.

Naturally FDev wouldn't do such a thing, they don't set their game up to maximise time spent doing anything :)

(Just light-hearted banter...)
I can't see Fdev doing that at all. No point in getting missions from a faction representative in a station when you can get the same missions from within your ship.

I suspect that any missions will be a more personal experience from that stations and maybe have a PG missions system that is based on your own PCs instead of server based which take into account things you have done in game by using the journal that is saved on your machine.

That, to me would be what I would do to make it very different to what you get in your ship. And if people don't want that functionality, they don't need to buy the expansion.

They could then add landing functionality to the installations where you can get none faction based missions/mini PG quests again using the journal.

Something like that could also really flesh out guardian/thargoid missions and make them far more interesting with different people offering up those missions. Out of all the scientists out there, I doubt Ram Tah is the only one interested in the guardians. Again using your journal so you don't get that same mission twice.

Personally I'm not remotely interested in FPS-style game-play (if indeed that turns out to be the primary direction for Leet Feet, which is uncertain as yet) but as an explorer I am interested in new environments to investigate - even if that just means new areas of stations and settlements to wander round at first. However, even that is only going to work for me if Frontier can populate their galaxy with walking talking animated 3-dimensional NPCs, and that may be a hell of an ask. Imagining the amount of work required not just in building a significant amount of new first-person level detailed environments, but also the volume and complexity of character AI, animation, voice acting, etc, that would be needed to make this new reality feel properly alive I wonder about FD being able to pull something like that off. Will it end up being another lack-lustre half-realised feature that ends up underused and half-forgotten?
For me Leet Feet needs to be not just the ability to get out of the pilot's seat and wander about, it needs to include a considerable enrichment of the game world in terms of life and NPC activity.

Yeah, that would be rather silly.

Equally silly especially when you have an SRV to use instead.

I can't see Fdev doing that at all. No point in getting missions from a faction representative in a station when you can get the same missions from within your ship.

I suspect that any missions will be a more personal experience from that stations and maybe have a PG missions system that is based on your own PCs instead of server based which take into account things you have done in game by using the journal that is saved on your machine.

That, to me would be what I would do to make it very different to what you get in your ship. And if people don't want that functionality, they don't need to buy the expansion.

They could then add landing functionality to the installations where you can get none faction based missions/mini PG quests again using the journal.

Something like that could also really flesh out guardian/thargoid missions and make them far more interesting with different people offering up those missions. Out of all the scientists out there, I doubt Ram Tah is the only one interested in the guardians. Again using your journal so you don't get that same mission twice.
It is a difficult one because the flip side of the coin i am afraid FD will make it that whilst you could walk to pick up a mission they will allow you to 1 click accept it from your seat as well, thus making their entire inclusion 100% optional (and pointless).
If we.get elite feet I hope it is fully woven into the game and not a completely optional bolt on.
My other fear which I think is completely possible is it will be multiplayer only stuff

Like fallout 76 or Elite Dangerous SRVs, or ED crew I worry that FD introduce it in such a way that IF we want to see other characters it will be other players only. FD have form for this and I am concerned.

Last edited:
It is a difficult one because the flip side of the coin i am afraid FD will make it that whilst you could walk to pick up a mission they will allow you to 1 click accept it from your seat as well, thus making their entire inclusion 100% optional (and pointless).
If we.get elite feet I hope it is fully woven into the game and not a completely optional bolt on.
My other fear which I think is completely possible is it will be multiplayer only stuff

Like fallout 76 or Elite Dangerous SRVs, or ED crew I worry that FD introduce it in such a way that IF we want to see other characters it will be other players only. FD have form for this and I am concerned.
I don't expect that to be honest. It would be completely pointless. The missions/mini quests you get from space legs would need to be exclusive to the space legs expansion. They should not be available in the cockpit of your ship. You have the mission board for that.

It would still be optional bolt on, but can easily be made into a seamless experience. It would still give you options. The basic missions you get from the missions board inside your ship or something with a bit more depth and complexity from a contact from outside your ship.

I don't expect that to be honest. It would be completely pointless. The missions/mini quests you get from space legs would need to be exclusive to the space legs expansion. They should not be available in the cockpit of your ship. You have the mission board for that.

It would still be optional bolt on, but can easily be made into a seamless experience. It would still give you options. The basic missions you get from the missions board inside your ship or something with a bit more depth and complexity from a contact from outside your ship.
But that was what I was implying, Max, even if light-heartedly... you didn't like the implication :)
Should legs be implemented, unique content relevent to them must be created otherwise the effort is wasted. It has to be unique (so not available from the mission board) because, like Horizons, not every player will have the update. Unless a massive dose of imagination is injected into the update 'Legs' could end up as minor repetitive tasks awaiting 'fleshing out' in a later update.
Sorry to be cynical, but 'other games' implement locomotion very well, but said games have a much lesser scope than ED provides us with and the 2020 update should reflect this.

Elite feet is going to be cqc but as a fps. Maybe without being external to the in game universe like cqc is, but just as optional and just as useless.

They won't make it necessary for players to use the feature, because they will want players to be able to play the way they want, and that includes staying in their ship all the time and achieving everything the game has to offer from within their ship.

That's why space legs will be pointless,

And as far as the bgs being player driven...hah... The changes in the bgs are completely ignorable. They don't matter and don't impact gameplay.

Let me know when everyone is forced to take note of the bgs in every system they jump into to for all things they could be doing, even just passing through. Then I'll consider the bgs as mattering. If it can be ignored, then it doesn't matter. Letting it be a choice, is bad design

Top Bottom