Roadmap leaked??

And as far as the bgs being player driven...hah... The changes in the bgs are completely ignorable. They don't matter and don't impact gameplay.
Really?
BGS manipulation 'flipped' ownership of a complete system over time as well as gained control of a base yesterday for the faction the squadron I'm in supports... Players did it, not random BGS effects...

But, of course, if a player has no interest in BGS manipulation it would appear to be unaffected by their actions.

Elite feet is going to be cqc but as a fps. Maybe without being external to the in game universe like cqc is, but just as optional and just as useless.
Have you played it? If not, you have no idea.

They won't make it necessary for players to use the feature, because they will want players to be able to play the way they want, and that includes staying in their ship all the time and achieving everything the game has to offer from within their ship.
Yup, nothing wrong with that.

That's why space legs will be pointless,
Why would that make it pointless?

And as far as the bgs being player driven...hah... The changes in the bgs are completely ignorable. They don't matter and don't impact gameplay.
That depends on what you are doing.

Let me know when everyone is forced to take note of the bgs in every system they jump into to for all things they could be doing, even just passing through. Then I'll consider the bgs as mattering. If it can be ignored, then it doesn't matter. Letting it be a choice, is bad design
Nobody is forced to and neither should it be forced upon, but it will be desirable for most players depending on what they are doing. I always check out what's happening in system when passing through. I don't want to give up an opportunity.

Elite feet is going to be cqc but as a fps. Maybe without being external to the in game universe like cqc is, but just as optional and just as useless.

There’s going to be PvP base building? Sweet :D

Seriously though, their original pitches are for things like 'interacting with AI characters', 'boarding ships in space', 'seeing gold being loaded' etc etc. Stuff which touches on most aspects of the game, and would likely have a meaningful impact within it.

Your assumption that any Legs DLC will have no interaction with or impact on the current game is just that. An assumption. It doesn’t really warrant the concrete doom flourish you’ve signed off with there ;)

Last edited:
Nobody is forced to and neither should it be forced upon, but it will be desirable for most players depending on what they are doing. I always check out what's happening in system when passing through. I don't want to give up an opportunity.

Most players are going to do the least amount of work for the end result desired (usually materials, credits, or reputation to get ships). So if it's avoidable, it will be avoided. if it's an optional aspect of the game, it'll be made pointless by being able to avoid it, because the people who choose to not participate in legs, will cry and moan on this forum about how they're being discriminated against if certain things are achievable only thru legs.

So if Fdev does what they always do, and what has been the most damaging aspect of this game ....and make legs optional with everything available inside your ship as what would be outside it on your legs...then legs are pointless. It'll be an eye candy feature of no real importance.

Optional - separate but equal nonsense just forces each thing to be pointless/redundant to the game narrative and gameplay in general. All that ends up dictating what gets done is which requires the least amount of effort. Gameplay that exists in your mind and imagination is poor game design. That kind of mentality only really works to the game's benefit on single player games. But if you're all about the single player and that's what you wish this game was, then you're still being screwed by fdev's indecision by not having control over your game like you should in a single player game (mods).

Fdev needs to make planetary landing necessary to progress thu the game. They need to make legs necessary to progress thru the game. They need to make the environments necessary for players to interact with. The roles can vary in what you do within them, trader, combat, explorer, but they need to make the environments necessary to be in.

As for the comments I made regarding the BGS. None of the states, government types, controlling factions have mattered to me since the game was released. They might as well all be the same, it doesn't change anything I do in the game no matter what system I'm in. That's a huge failure. I should not be able to do that and it shouldn't matter what role I've decided to play as, none of those things should be something I can completely ignore in the game. Yet they are, and I have for years. The BGS is a weak sauce shadow of a player driven dynamic that goes out of it's way to not matter and the non-limited resource economy only helps make it more ignorable.

Last edited:
Most players are going to do the least amount of work for the end result desired (usually materials, credits, or reputation to get ships). So if it's avoidable, it will be avoided. if it's an optional aspect of the game, it'll be made pointless by being able to avoid it, because the people who choose to not participate in legs, will cry and moan on this forum about how they're being discriminated against if certain things are achievable only thru legs.
That's a grind mentality. Not something I aspire to myself. It took me three years to get a python, but I enjoyed every part of it.

If all you play for are rewards, then yes, you will be disappointed. I play to have fun.

So if Fdev does what they always do, and what has been the most damaging aspect of this game ....and make legs optional with everything available inside your ship as what would be outside it on your legs...then legs are pointless. It'll be an eye candy feature of no real importance.
It will be an optional expansion. It has to be optional. As to it being everything you get outside of your ships being the same as inside your ship, I very much doubt that will happen. Yes that would be pointless.

Optional - separate but equal nonsense just forces each thing to be pointless/redundant to the game narrative and gameplay in general. All that ends up dictating what gets done is which requires the least amount of effort. Gameplay that exists in your mind and imagination is poor game design. That kind of mentality only really works to the game's benefit on single player games. But if you're all about the single player and that's what you wish this game was, then you're still being screwed by fdev's indecision by not having control over your game like you should in a single player game (mods).
What game narrative. You decide your own narrative. That's the beauty of the game.

Fdev needs to make planetary landing necessary to progress thu the game. They need to make legs necessary to progress thru the game. They need to make the environments necessary for players to interact with. The roles can vary in what you do within them, trader, combat, explorer, but they need to make the environments necessary to be in.
What progress are you talking about?

As for the comments I made regarding the BGS. None of the states, government types, controlling factions have matter to me since the game was released. They might as well all be the same, it doesn't change anything I do in the game no matter what system I'm in. That's a huge failure. I should not be able to do that and it shouldn't matter what role I've decided to play as, none of those things should be something I can completely ignore in the game. Yet they are, and I have for years. The BGS is a weak sauce shadow of a player driven dynamic that goes out of it's way to not matter and the non-limited resource economy only helps make it more ignorable.
What do you do in the game?

Do they make these expansions optional because they want players to have freedom ...or do they make them optional because they're always half-done and forcing players to have to participate in them would tank what little gameplay enjoyment they get and drive them away faster?

Last edited:
Elite feet is going to be cqc but as a fps.

How do you know this? You seem to be making lots of firm proclamations based on nothing but what you want to believe.

Have you heard of Star Citizen? You are free to believe it will be whatever you want it to be, and CIG will make it happen! It might be just the game for you!

It would be hilarious if 'elite feet' were introduced and players had to either 'do their business' from ship (as per today) or 'walk' 3Km across the 'port', then back, to pick them from the offices of each faction...
Or walk 25Km for a surface mission (Hutton Orbital for athletes)...

Naturally FDev wouldn't do such a thing, they don't set their game up to maximise time spent doing anything :)

(Just light-hearted banter...)

That is actually a major issue. Everything is so big, getting out of the ship will become a chore quickly, and just imagine walking though a large landing pad! Space stations are gargantuan, so at best we will have quick transport options to selected areas only, as filling them up with meaningful content/assets is impossible.
Oh dear...

It is a difficult one because the flip side of the coin i am afraid FD will make it that whilst you could walk to pick up a mission they will allow you to 1 click accept it from your seat as well, thus making their entire inclusion 100% optional (and pointless).
If we get elite feet I hope it is fully woven into the game and not a completely optional bolt on.
Would make sense to walk into a bar or some dark alley and talk to people for the interesting (hand crafted!!!!) missions.
The regular cookie cutter missions would still be available from the mission board from the ship.

They won't make it necessary for players to use the feature, because they will want players to be able to play the way they want, and that includes staying in their ship all the time and achieving everything the game has to offer from within their ship.

It shouldn't be forcing anyone to do anything, it should have enough reasons to make being outside the ship more fun and advantageous than being in it.

I'd expect to see things like data courier missions extended so they have to be hand delivered. Some should come with no risk (and no chance of pvp) whilst others be high risk (and likely pvp). Same for small package missions - some would be standard 'Amazon' deliveries, others more high profiles drop-offs likely to attract attention.

That said, if I just want to be a space trucker then I should be able to do so, on a very basic level, without having to leave my ship.

That would be great game play - using different styles of game play. Unfortunately, I don't think FD are up to the task to create such game mechanisms.

I fear that any release of space legs will consist of very little game play, instead just eye-candy.

Seconded. The current SRV base infiltration missions feel like a mini-game. It's much cooler to get out of the SRV, use stealth or FPS combat to take out NPC guards that patrol the area. Then reach a central computer to get data, credits, blue prints, relics or a ship upgrade. The Deus Ex series has great level design with multiple viable solutions: combat, stealth or pacifism.

Soooo... it will be the next feature like Powerplay?
You can participate in it, else it's completely pointless.

Adding legs should add value to the game, not just another "feature" to tick the box of "Yes we have it" but you can't really do much with it.
Walking around in your ship, EVAs, exploring ruins, derelict ships on foot, there you got something to do. Maybe a bit like Dead Space, just without the horror elements. You unlock stashes, find interesting loot, maybe some unique modules? Might encounter Thargoids on foot while infiltrating their base....

Just a few ideas.

Soooo... it will be the next feature like Powerplay?
You can participate in it, else it's completely pointless.

Adding legs should add value to the game, not just another "feature" to tick the box of "Yes we have it" but you can't really do much with it.
Walking around in your ship, EVAs, exploring ruins, derelict ships on foot, there you got something to do. Maybe a bit like Dead Space, just without the horror elements. You unlock stashes, find interesting loot, maybe some unique modules? Might encounter Thargoids on foot while infiltrating their base....

Just a few ideas.

Arguably, mixing the Thargoids with Dead Space would probably mean keeping in the horror elements :D

Arguably, mixing the Thargoids with Dead Space would probably mean keeping in the horror elements :D
You could still keep an eerie atmosphere without blood and guts splattered all over the place and having to shoot limbs of Thargoids to bring them down. Not that I would mind that part, but I don't think that would be everyone's cup of tea.

Yes, they are. And they are not Elite. If I wanted first person action, I would be playing those games.
Well if you don't want first person then think of it as "you're a ship" but you can fit through smaller spaces,
Even Braben himself said he wanted Elite to be more than just a chair in space, but if you just want a chair in space I'm sure there will be a choice for you.

You could still keep an eerie atmosphere without blood and guts splattered all over the place and having to shoot limbs of Thargoids to bring them down. Not that I would mind that part, but I don't think that would be everyone's cup of tea.

If we get space legs and Thargoids, I want full 'MEDICAL! GET TO MEDICAL!!' gameplay.

alienshudson.jpg

Never gonna happen obviously.

Well if you don't want first person then think of it as "you're a ship" but you can fit through smaller spaces,
Even Braben himself said he wanted Elite to be more than just a chair in space, but if you just want a chair in space I'm sure there will be a choice for you.

Braben has said a lot of things including the thrill of flying to station floating in gas giants. His (obsolete) speeches and the reality of what they can/want actually do with the game have taken a very different path.

Top Bottom