What about the "normal players"?

Hello Team-Frontier,
hello players,

I was really hyped about his game. I play this game since the beta. After i realised Frontier uses the same engine as Planco i was shocked!! This means bad performance. This means no possibillity to create a big park/zoo. And now.. i played a lot. Now i have 5,5k visitors i have 130 animals and my frames drops down to only 25 fps. My Zoo is at the beginning. I just startet and now i can close my zoo. Because i know if i build more and get more animals the fps drops down and down and down....

My Hardware:
Grafik:AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
Ram: 16GB DDR4 3000 mHz
Win10 1909

What about the normal players? The players who want to PLAY and not only want to build crazy in sandbox and put it into the workshop. This seems to be a Building-Simulation not a Zoo-Simulation. That sucks!!!
This cant be the target of this game..
It should be possible to have more than 100 animals!!
It should be possible to build bigger zoos than 1/6 of the map!!

So please PLEASE do something with the performance!!
Planco was an disappointment for the normal players because of this reaons.

Please do not the same mistakes with this beautiful game.
Please do not give away the potential of this game....

Yours sincerely,
a sad player and fan from the beginning (zoo tycoon 1)

While i Love the game, I would also like to see some performance improvements for the same reason - being able to build big zoo. Most people replied to me “just build smaller themed parks”. Well it is a zoo simulation game, it should not punish you for having one big park instead of small ones with just few species.

While i Love the game, I would also like to see some performance improvements for the same reason - being able to build big zoo. Most people replied to me “just build smaller themed parks”. Well it is a zoo simulation game, it should not punish you for having one big park instead of small ones with just few species.
Thats the point!! It should be possible to build big zoos. it isnt an option for me to limit my ideas or dreams of my zoo!!

The biggest performance consumer is probably the guests.

There are certainly some players who have no problem taking advantage of the possibility to limit the number of visitors to 2000 to 3000, if this would not cause economic problems.

Wouldn't it be a solution to reduce the generated number of visitors, increase the finances of the visitors at the same time.

I also hope there can be something done about it. I can play normal most of the Time in my big Zoo but often it is a Torture if I want to place Paths

The biggest performance consumer is probably the guests.

There are certainly some players who have no problem taking advantage of the possibility to limit the number of visitors to 2000 to 3000, if this would not cause economic problems.

Wouldn't it be a solution to reduce the generated number of visitors, increase the finances of the visitors at the same time.

Yes the guests are one big part of it, but not the only part. If you have a big zoo that covers more than half of the map, you will have severe lag/fps drop even if you have no guests. I built a big zoo in sandbox with lots of terrain modification, foliage and custom buildings and the fps became horrible after a while, even though the zoo was closed, so no guests at all... And my PC is well over the recommended in every part.

25 FPS sounds reasonable.

What resolution are you playing?

I've always played on 1920x1080. Never gave any issues.
I read somewhere higher resolutions causes lag.

I as a fellow "normal user" ain't experiencing so much lag.

Last edited:
25 FPS sounds reasonable.

What resolution are you playing?

I've always played on 1920x1080. Never gave any issues.
I read somewhere higher resolutions causes lag.

I as a fellow "normal user" ain't experiencing so much lag.

How big is you zoo? how much of the map does it cover and how many guests do you have? :)

How big is you zoo? how much of the map does it cover and how many guests do you have? :)

aprox 1/4 of the map. limited to max 5k visitors (I've hardly been to a zoo where there where 10s of thousands of guests).
And with 5k visitors you can make more than enough money.

My only real big issue is terrain. When working with terrain the game holds back a little. But that is because it is recalculating traversable terrain with every change you make. And not only for the part you adjust, but it looks like it does that for the entire map. And pausing/unpausing can cause a lag spike, due to all calculations being done at the same time.

During all other time, the game runs fine as witnessed by my eyes (I don't count FPS, I trust what I see).

Does this apply to Franchise (online) or the offline modes?

Could just be the use of the internet connection. If multiple people are using the connection, some lag (like the market) could be happening because of this..

My PC is well over the recommended specs and with a bigger zoo (+half of the map) you will notice a drop in performance (7500 visitors)
I runs fine (not great), but sometimes it does get annoying sometimes..

I'm only running the minimal programs in the background.

Does this apply to Franchise (online) or the offline modes?

Could just be the use of the internet connection. If multiple people are using the connection, some lag (like the market) could be happening because of this..

My PC is well over the recommended specs and with a bigger zoo (+half of the map) you will notice a drop in performance (7500 visitors)
I runs fine (not great), but sometimes it does get annoying sometimes..

I'm only running the minimal programs in the background.
I only played Franchise oder the Career Mode till now. I can exclude our internet connections. this is fine all the time. And thats no option for my only to play sandbox beacause there are no laggs or more FPS. This should be balanced in every mode.

I only played Franchise oder the Career Mode till now. I can exclude our internet connections. this is fine all the time. And thats no option for my only to play sandbox beacause there are no laggs or more FPS. This should be balanced in every mode.

Oh I fully agree… Seen too many posts for other games when people complained online being too slow while downloading or watching online videos..
We can ignore that part :D

The game is very demanding, quite surprised by this and it did improve a lot since the first weeks...

Im near the end of Career Mode, never dropped below 55 FPS on 1920x1080 max settings.

Oh and "just" a Ryzen 5 1600x and a Gtx 960oc

Last edited:
Career mode isn't really the issue I think since those parks are kept rather small in general.

The problems start when you build your own zoo and reach a certain number of guests, animals, level of detail etc. I got a gaming PC above rec and while I don't care about the exact number of FPS I'd like to not watch a slide show while playing...needless to say even my PC reached its limit by now. My detailed park with its 8k-9k guests and about 170 animals is too much and I get between 10-15 FPS at best, which yeah, beginnings of a slide show. It's simply terrible to work with especially when building and I was basically forced to open a new zoo because of this, even though I had planned way more for the other zoo still. So I totally get where OP is coming from and definitely agree.

After i realised Frontier uses the same engine as Planco i was shocked!! This means bad performance.

PZ did seem to start off with similar FPS problems which could only lead to tiny creations but, and I meant to post about this as well. I am noticing after a couple of patches that the performance is now getting really really good. I don't have any FPS problems whatsoever and my zoo is now way bigger than anything I could successfully build in PC.

Honestly, PZ is way better for perfomance!

I'm still running Windows 7 with a motherboard/processor combo I bought on the cheap in 2009. I didn't start having real lag issues )outside of opening the market, and that seems to be a separate issue) until I passed 5,000 guests and 500 animals. Even with some frame drops and lower graphics settings, I seem to be doing mostly alright at 7K guests and 650 animals.

It's possible that one or two specific settings under graphics just don't agree with your hardware. I would suggest playing with your graphics settings some and seeing if you can get it running smoother.

The biggest problem with this game is Denuvo, who makes so many connections every time that the games laggs massively..

If denuvo would be removed from the game, the game would run soooo much smoother and there would be less lagg etc...

The biggest problem with this game is Denuvo, who makes so many connections every time that the games laggs massively..

If denuvo would be removed from the game, the game would run soooo much smoother and there would be less lagg etc...

you know discussions about Denuvo are not alowed right?

moderator, feel free to delete this post if you see necessary.

you know discussions about Denuvo are not alowed right?

moderator, feel free to delete this post if you see necessary.
i'm allowed to have an opinnion, especcially if it is causing problems with a game.

ps: i've searched the forum rules with ctrl+f+denuvo, nowhere is the word "denuvo" mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom