No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Your HUD colours make it hard to see anything for me, youtube video compression doesn't help either. After watching the video 3 times I noticed that the module rectangle is not on the target. Wasn't easy though, next time I use my (magnifying) glasses... ;)

The module target rectangle is detached from the targetted ship, it's wandering aimlessly all over the screen, and the reticle is tracking that, instead of the opponent.

BTW I agree with what you said about the HUD color, it's really sad I had to use such an idiotic color, just to be able to see the reticle in bright icy rings like this one. All that because for some unexplainable reason they designed the reticle to be the dimmest part of the HUD...

At 6 minutes. And it was an announcement about an announcement, nothing more.

9 pages of trash talk over this?

Slow news day... week... month... year...
It was just another thread that some here used for the daily FD bashing, any excuse will do. Hell some don't even need a valid excuse, they will make one up anyway.

The wait for the New Era has had and will have its frustrations, not the least of which has been breaking the game in an attempt to screw more money out of us; but I know that if I were a Frontier manager my focus would be on getting the New Era out the door in good shape and preferably on schedule, and I'd probably even be grumbling, not necessarily quietly, about the resources being diverted to fulfill, however belatedly, the promise of Fleet Carriers, or fix bugs in code that may be replaced in the New Era.

I take the abandonment of IIs, CGs and Galnet as evidence that meeting their development schedule is proving a struggle: I doubt the devs went through last year chortling to themselves about how the player base would be put out when players found themselves all but cut off from even 2019's maintenance content in 2020. They're surely finding the current situation as disappointing as we are and probably a lot more worrying: after all, it's our game, but it's their paychecks and bonuses that will suffer if we don't stick around to buy the new content.

Even so, what's most important to them, and I suspect to the majority of us, is the long-term future of the game. If the New Era is a success the current frustrations will be forgotten; if not we won't have a game to be frustrated about.

Even so, what's most important to them, and I suspect to the majority of us, is the long-term future of the game. If the New Era is a success the current frustrations will be forgotten; if not we won't have a game to be frustrated about.
But we will have a game, the one we are currently playing... I don't know about others but I still have a lot of it left to play...

Unless you believe that if the 'New Era' fails that the plug will be pulled on the game and it will disappear into obscurity?

But we will have a game, the one we are currently playing... I don't know about others but I still have a lot of it left to play...

Unless you believe that if the 'New Era' fails that the plug will be pulled on the game and it will disappear into obscurity?
Don't forget that for some here, no matter how successful New Era is, they will still find fault in it. What is more astounding is that one or two of them might even try New Era before proclaiming how bad it is, the rest won't even bother trying the DLC or even the Beta. I am convinced that some here secretly want FD to fail spectacularly, just so they can jump back on here (before FD closes the forums for good) to brag on how they were right all along!

If the New Era is a success the current frustrations will be forgotten; if not we won't have a game to be frustrated about.
Not everybody forgives and forgets. There are still people who refuse to give NMS another go because they hated the 1.0 version so much, and now they feel it their God-given calling to punish Sean Murray for the rest of eternity. There are people who feel the same way about Elite. Me, well I guess my love of ED in VR has caused me to forget the horrible mess they made out of the PS4 version of Elite, but I am very unlikely to buy Arx now or in the future because I don't trust the company not to screw up the game in new and creative ways, which is something they have been doing since I bought it almost three years ago. The removal of CGs and IIs is just the latest example. Now whether or not Frontier actually cares that this one player no longer spends money on their game, I do not know. 🤷

They might not turn off the servers immediately but if the game isn't making money there will be no new content, and if the game doesn't sell the player base will die away (given the age of some of us, quite literally on occasion). And there will come a point where Frontier will feel that it's no longer worth keeping the servers running.

They might not turn off the servers immediately but if the game isn't making money there will be no new content, and if the game doesn't sell the player base will die away (given the age of some of us, quite literally on occasion). And there will come a point where Frontier will feel that it's no longer worth keeping the servers running.
Very true - I'm in the age group that is nearer the end of the track than the beginning by a long margin :)

But I doubt the game would 'die' immediately if the new DLC failed to deliver sufficient sales (Unlikely as there appears to be more than a handful of players still interested in the game) so, whilst appreciating your doomsaying as a personal statement, it is more likely that the decline in playerbase - should that situation arise - would not indicate an immediate closure of the servers as revenue from new players and price cutting in sales should still generate funds enough to keep things going for a while.

Not everybody forgives and forgets
I'm sure you're right. And as for ARX, I haven't spent as much on cosmetics as in previous years, and probably won't in the future unless I'm really enjoying the New Era.

But on the other hand I suspect that most of us aren't going to cut off the New Era nose to spite Frontier's face. We're here because we find something enduringly excellent in the game's core gameplay, whatever the penumbra of the second rate. If the New Era can add to the enduringly excellent rather than increase the burden of the second rate - not a given by any means - I think that there will be a decent measure of forgiving and forgetting.

Don't forget that for some here, no matter how successful New Era is, they will still find fault in it. What is more astounding is that one or two of them might even try New Era before proclaiming how bad it is, the rest won't even bother trying the DLC or even the Beta. I am convinced that some here secretly want FD to fail spectacularly, just so they can jump back on here (before FD closes the forums for good) to brag on how they were right all along!

Some people being upset won't be avoidable, even notorious trolls aside.

Elite has many different aspects and a lot people who love those have been waiting for an update for years. The New Era seems to be the one big (maybe last) shot to finally address their pet feature. I don't know if the radio silence is the best way to go. With a "New Era won't include a complete PP revamp" or a "we don't have plans for fleshing out Multicrew" here and there, they could get rid of some outbursts over the years/months while Elite is not in the media's focus. Instead they seem to be building up to the one huge mother of all salt avalanches.

But I like to think the majority will be happy.

But on the other hand I suspect that most of us aren't going to cut off the New Era nose to spite Frontier's face.
I will not boycott New Era just to "That'll show you, Frontier!" Heck, I bought ED for PC after being screwed by Frontier on PS4. On the other hand, ED is starting to have serious competition for my time and money, especially with MSFS 2020 releasing around the same time as New Era. If I have to choose, I'll likely choose MSFS. After all, it will have the best feature that I want from New Era, an amazing atmospheric world to enjoy!

Disclaimer - I'm assuming New Era will be something of a letdown, which saves me from disappointment if it is, and if it's actually amazing, well then I can be pleasantly surprised. Win, win!

Not everybody forgives and forgets. There are still people who refuse to give NMS another go because they hated the 1.0 version so much, and now they feel it their God-given calling to punish Sean Murray for the rest of eternity. There are people who feel the same way about Elite. Me, well I guess my love of ED in VR has caused me to forget the horrible mess they made out of the PS4 version of Elite, but I am very unlikely to buy Arx now or in the future because I don't trust the company not to screw up the game in new and creative ways, which is something they have been doing since I bought it almost three years ago. The removal of CGs and IIs is just the latest example. Now whether or not Frontier actually cares that this one player no longer spends money on their game, I do not know. 🤷
Hey, I already disliked NMS before it was cool 1.0.

Anyway, I think Frontiers business model doesn't rely as much on cosmetics as some people assume. It's probably a nice bonus and gives them the opportunity to hire a few more devs. But the main income is still expansions and the base game, which is why they put most energy into developing updates rather than thinking of creative ways to push micro transactions (like loot boxes or pay to win mechanics).
So my guess is that they don't care that much if you don't buy paintjobs. I am basically avoiding paintjobs since day one and the game is still running!

Anyway, I think Frontiers business model doesn't rely as much on cosmetics as some people assume. It's probably a nice bonus and gives them the opportunity to hire a few more devs. But the main income is still expansions and the base game, which is why they put most energy into developing updates rather than thinking of creative ways to push micro transactions (like loot boxes or pay to win mechanics).
Were you in a coma last year?
ARX
STORE
COCKPIT CATCUS

Your honor, I rest my case.

Last edited:
Hey, I already disliked NMS before it was cool 1.0.

So my guess is that they don't care that much if you don't buy paintjobs. I am basically avoiding paintjobs since day one and the game is still running!
So you are the reason they don't have enough staff for Galnet ! 😜

Some people being upset won't be avoidable, even notorious trolls aside.

Elite has many different aspects and a lot people who love those have been waiting for an update for years. The New Era seems to be the one big (maybe last) shot to finally address their pet feature. I don't know if the radio silence is the best way to go. With a "New Era won't include a complete PP revamp" or a "we don't have plans for fleshing out Multicrew" here and there, they could get rid of some outbursts over the years/months while Elite is not in the media's focus. Instead they seem to be building up to the one huge mother of all salt avalanches.

But I like to think the majority will be happy.
See I just don't understand this entire 'FD MUST TELL US EVERYTHING' mentality some have here. Why, what will telling everyone what will happen in 12 months time going to achieve. If FD made an announcement tomorrow on what is in New Era, how would that effect the player base?:
  1. Some will say they are rage quitting (but we can never tell because the refuse to leave the forums lol). Not a great loss to FD as they would rage quit when the DLC drops anyway.
  2. Some will declare that they won't buy the DLC because of 'x' either being included or being excluded (or both with some here). Again, nothing FD can do about that, they had to make a business decision and know that they can't please everyone all the time and no one player is more important than any other player.
  3. The majority will continue playing, either whining about what is about to happen or excited about it. But they are smart enough to know these big changes to the game are outside of their control and they have to either accept FD's decisions or they can vote with their feet and leave.
  4. The worst that can happen is FD state they are planning on added 'ABC' to the game but down track find out they can't for some legitimate reason whether it be some engineering problem with either one of the platforms or Windows. Basically something outside of their control and they admit that. What happens then is the forum will erupt with cries of YOU PROMISED, totally ignoring the bit that ABC can't be done for some valid reason.
So I will ask again, why should FD be forced to tell us what their long and short term plans are and what would it achieve (apart from generating more salt)?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom