No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You basically said exactly the same as I did. I said "not ready for release", you said "buggy and incomplete". Different words, but In the end, it's exactly the same.

I ain't fond of the "open letter" either. I even find the notion that the authors feel they represent the community absurd.
Not every conversation needs to be a circular argument... ;)

I'd debate that, 'we' didn't ask for this - a bunch of self-important youtube influencers, the leader of an infamous 'ganker' group and a few other folk with large egos asked for it... All claiming to represent "The Community"...

The whole truth is that the majority of players didn't ask for it.... They just kept on playing the game and not making any fuss - exactly what was the number of unverified signatures on the 'open letter' petition as a percentage of total sales?
True, although I suspect that the majority of players prefers a better balance between content and bugs than what we had with the September update.

True, although I suspect that the majority of players prefers a better balance between content and bugs than what we had with the September update.
But the majority of the bugs in the September update were fixed incredibly quickly - what short memories people have!
The biggest issue with the game currently is that whatever is 'fixed' appears to 'break' something totally unrelated, perhaps the Q4 2020 update actually will be a major code overhaul and we'll have updates that don't need immediate remedial work...

I've been pretty defensive of updates and their fixes, but with the current, random, 'flips' of the FSS screen and equally random 'pauses' when accelerating or turning in systems even I'm beginning to wonder just how broken the base code actually is 🤷‍♂️

If we had had multiple 'patches' and fixes since September then I'd agree that FDev were taking real notice of those demands...

Use your glasses.

Watch the reticle and the module target rectangle. It's literally written there btw (subtitles in the first 5 seconds of the vid).
Your HUD colours make it hard to see anything for me, youtube video compression doesn't help either. After watching the video 3 times I noticed that the module rectangle is not on the target. Wasn't easy though, next time I use my (magnifying) glasses... ;)

But the majority of the bugs in the September update were fixed incredibly quickly - what short memories people have!
The biggest issue with the game currently is that whatever is 'fixed' appears to 'break' something totally unrelated, perhaps the Q4 2020 update actually will be a major code overhaul and we'll have updates that don't need immediate remedial work...

I've been pretty defensive of updates and their fixes, but with the current, random, 'flips' of the FSS screen and equally random 'pauses' when accelerating or turning in systems even I'm beginning to wonder just how broken the base code actually is 🤷‍♂️

If we had had multiple 'patches' and fixes since September then I'd agree that FDev were taking real notice of those demands...
True, most bugs were fixed rather quickly. Still, many people had the impression that the September update hardly updated anything and yet the whole game was broken (hyperbole or not). So I understand why it was such a frustrating experience for many of us. We don't know how much stuff changed under the hood in order to implement Arx, maybe a beta would've helped.

Your HUD colours make it hard to see anything for me, youtube video compression doesn't help either. After watching the video 3 times I noticed that the module rectangle is not on the target. Wasn't easy though, next time I use my (magnifying) glasses... ;)

The module target rectangle is detached from the targetted ship, it's wandering aimlessly all over the screen, and the reticle is tracking that, instead of the opponent.

BTW I agree with what you said about the HUD color, it's really sad I had to use such an idiotic color, just to be able to see the reticle in bright icy rings like this one. All that because for some unexplainable reason they designed the reticle to be the dimmest part of the HUD...

At 6 minutes. And it was an announcement about an announcement, nothing more.

9 pages of trash talk over this?

Slow news day... week... month... year...
It was just another thread that some here used for the daily FD bashing, any excuse will do. Hell some don't even need a valid excuse, they will make one up anyway.

The wait for the New Era has had and will have its frustrations, not the least of which has been breaking the game in an attempt to screw more money out of us; but I know that if I were a Frontier manager my focus would be on getting the New Era out the door in good shape and preferably on schedule, and I'd probably even be grumbling, not necessarily quietly, about the resources being diverted to fulfill, however belatedly, the promise of Fleet Carriers, or fix bugs in code that may be replaced in the New Era.

I take the abandonment of IIs, CGs and Galnet as evidence that meeting their development schedule is proving a struggle: I doubt the devs went through last year chortling to themselves about how the player base would be put out when players found themselves all but cut off from even 2019's maintenance content in 2020. They're surely finding the current situation as disappointing as we are and probably a lot more worrying: after all, it's our game, but it's their paychecks and bonuses that will suffer if we don't stick around to buy the new content.

Even so, what's most important to them, and I suspect to the majority of us, is the long-term future of the game. If the New Era is a success the current frustrations will be forgotten; if not we won't have a game to be frustrated about.

Even so, what's most important to them, and I suspect to the majority of us, is the long-term future of the game. If the New Era is a success the current frustrations will be forgotten; if not we won't have a game to be frustrated about.
But we will have a game, the one we are currently playing... I don't know about others but I still have a lot of it left to play...

Unless you believe that if the 'New Era' fails that the plug will be pulled on the game and it will disappear into obscurity?

But we will have a game, the one we are currently playing... I don't know about others but I still have a lot of it left to play...

Unless you believe that if the 'New Era' fails that the plug will be pulled on the game and it will disappear into obscurity?
Don't forget that for some here, no matter how successful New Era is, they will still find fault in it. What is more astounding is that one or two of them might even try New Era before proclaiming how bad it is, the rest won't even bother trying the DLC or even the Beta. I am convinced that some here secretly want FD to fail spectacularly, just so they can jump back on here (before FD closes the forums for good) to brag on how they were right all along!

If the New Era is a success the current frustrations will be forgotten; if not we won't have a game to be frustrated about.
Not everybody forgives and forgets. There are still people who refuse to give NMS another go because they hated the 1.0 version so much, and now they feel it their God-given calling to punish Sean Murray for the rest of eternity. There are people who feel the same way about Elite. Me, well I guess my love of ED in VR has caused me to forget the horrible mess they made out of the PS4 version of Elite, but I am very unlikely to buy Arx now or in the future because I don't trust the company not to screw up the game in new and creative ways, which is something they have been doing since I bought it almost three years ago. The removal of CGs and IIs is just the latest example. Now whether or not Frontier actually cares that this one player no longer spends money on their game, I do not know. 🤷

They might not turn off the servers immediately but if the game isn't making money there will be no new content, and if the game doesn't sell the player base will die away (given the age of some of us, quite literally on occasion). And there will come a point where Frontier will feel that it's no longer worth keeping the servers running.

They might not turn off the servers immediately but if the game isn't making money there will be no new content, and if the game doesn't sell the player base will die away (given the age of some of us, quite literally on occasion). And there will come a point where Frontier will feel that it's no longer worth keeping the servers running.
Very true - I'm in the age group that is nearer the end of the track than the beginning by a long margin :)

But I doubt the game would 'die' immediately if the new DLC failed to deliver sufficient sales (Unlikely as there appears to be more than a handful of players still interested in the game) so, whilst appreciating your doomsaying as a personal statement, it is more likely that the decline in playerbase - should that situation arise - would not indicate an immediate closure of the servers as revenue from new players and price cutting in sales should still generate funds enough to keep things going for a while.

Not everybody forgives and forgets
I'm sure you're right. And as for ARX, I haven't spent as much on cosmetics as in previous years, and probably won't in the future unless I'm really enjoying the New Era.

But on the other hand I suspect that most of us aren't going to cut off the New Era nose to spite Frontier's face. We're here because we find something enduringly excellent in the game's core gameplay, whatever the penumbra of the second rate. If the New Era can add to the enduringly excellent rather than increase the burden of the second rate - not a given by any means - I think that there will be a decent measure of forgiving and forgetting.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom