Is this the correct thread? Seems like the last few pages belong more in the Hunt for Raxxla thread and have nothing to do with the project at hand.
trainn.jpg

IF Raxxla is a planet. It may not be.
I think all I'm assuming is that Raxxla has some theoretically detectable physical form in-game (seems reasonable from Frontier's few statements), and stating that the FSS can detect a wider variety of detectable things than the ADS could (without stating whether Raxxla can be detected by either). Certainly a named planet would be in the set of things easier to detect with FSS than ADS ... but so would an unusual asteroid belt, a persistent signal source of some description, etc. (Personally I think "a planet" is pretty unlikely to be the answer, despite my Ra 10a theory)

While I tend to share your line of thinking I would point out that your point 2 carries a hugely flawed assumption in the first couple words. You state there that if it was in a system visited by 2017 it must be close to the bubble. I would point out that while we already have OTHER lore reasons to suspect that it is close to the bubble by 2017 Beagle point had already been visited. This is damn near the farthest point currently accessible in game (like under 800ly from Salome’s reach). So while I actually agree with the spirit of your assumption I recognize it as an assumption of my own and am being quite explicitly clear to leave that assumption of mine out of our experiment.
No, that's not what I meant. Sorry, I should have been clearer that points 1 and 2 were "or" not "and".

I'm saying either (point 1) it was extremely lucky for anyone to find the system at all, because they were out on some deep space exploration trip nowhere near anywhere and just happened to come across the system at random (in which case the chance of replication is minimal because no-one's going to follow that exact route again) or (point 2) it's near the bubble or some other well-visited POI (Beagle, Sag A*, pretty much anywhere on the bubble-Colonia-SagA* triangle would count as well-visited by mid-2017, plenty of nebulae) and therefore it wasn't just a 5000:1 longshot because it's somewhere with a much higher than average explorer density (in which case there might be more chance visits in future)

In "case 2" it would need further protection than just "who's going to ever go there?", in "case 1" it might well be in relatively plain view if anyone ever happens across that obscure system again (but the obscurity of location means the chance of that happening this century is basically zero).

With the geography of the bubble, you'd pretty much have to go past/near Sol anyway to get onto the AEGIS bridge joining the Sol and Maia system clusters together, and that's the only way to reach Delphi

With the relative distances involved, it would take 3 ideally-placed expansions to get to/near Sol and at least 18 ideally-placed expansions to get to Delphi. However, with the system and faction densities that's not possible in practice and it will likely require several months of preparatory work, including intermediate expansions, targeted expansion and retreat of other factions, balancing of faction influences across huge regions, fighting past or going around particular PMF/Powerplay territories, etc. to get each one of those "milestone" expansions in the right direction.

The expansion rules tend to cause factions to expand in a roughly spherical pattern unless very carefully directed. On undirected expansion it would take TDW roughly 1000 expansions to reach Sol (minimum time about 4 decades) and about 20,000 to reach Delphi (minimum time about 8 centuries). Careful work to hint that TDW should expand in particular directions can of course shorten this, but nevertheless I'd be very surprised if TDW were within 20LY of Sol by this time next year - this is a very interesting project but also an extremely large and long-term one.

If TDW has different BGS rules than every other faction, it is possible it's expansion bubble is linear, and may ignore the 7 faction expansion/8 faction invasion rules too.

It will be interesting to see if TDW faction behaves as expected or not.

The only issue with this is that we know Raxxla is not on Lave 2. Lave 2 was permit locked at the request of Allen James Stroud, author of Elite: Lave Revolution. In the book there is a reference to a "micro-colony" or something or the other. I assume that since there was no way to model it (or no willingness) in game, the author and FDev agreed upon it being permit locked. Nothing to do with Raxxla.

I was aware of all of The above stated information and have in fact commented about it at length in the EW discord. As well as the fact that some had suspected that “the good doctor” may have clones of himself there. However you again show your propensity for assumptions. your statement that “WE KNOW RAXXLA IS NOT ON LAVE 2” can only be true if you are in fact David Braben OBE, posting on the Frontier forums under a pen name. Otherwise I find your assertion that it’s entirely impossible for an entire planet to have only one interesting fact tied to it as silly as the notion that since Cambridge exists on earth than WE KNOW that the great pyramids of Giza cannot also exist there.

If TDW has different BGS rules than every other faction, it is possible it's expansion bubble is linear, and may ignore the 7 faction expansion/8 faction invasion rules too.

It will be interesting to see if TDW faction behaves as expected or not.
Well, the expansion to LFT 926 was to the nearest system and on the expected triggers and schedules based on the normal expansion rules, and the way its influence has varied in the systems it's in (both before and since the start of this initiative) doesn't suggest any particular difference from the rules there either.

Is there any evidence that TDW might have different BGS rules to every other [1] faction? Some previous event that isn't easily explained under normal BGS operation?

Obviously anyone can theorise that due to TDW's connection to the number 8, it will get 8x influence gains if someone with an 8-character name sells it 8t of cargo on the 8th of the month ... but there's no actual evidence for this theory (which I just made up without checking the data) being true or even plausible.

[1] Every other influence-holding faction in a system not under total BGS stasis, anyway. Obviously it responds differently in certain circumstances to, say, "The Dweller" or "Alpha Company" or "Canonn Gnosis Division" but that's because they're the special case.

Even in the codex , it's said TDW in shinrarta may be not the real ones. Worth trying , but still have doubt.
Entirely a fair point. I would direct you to the statement in lore by Felicity Farseer that whenever a "false TDW" pops up they don't last long but rather quietly and with little notice tend to suffer some fate that causes them to disappear. Which COULD cause one to think that since this TDW has been there for well over 5 years now they are either the real thing or at least in some way "allowed to continue" with their claims. That is not however proof of anything so I stand by your original statement as being entirely possible. And if this experiments succeeds in spreading TDW far and wide thru the bubble with no result whatsoever to anything I'm sure that fact will be used by some in the future to support the claim that these TDW are in fact impostors. If that is the case, we will have had a fun time pulling together for a neat project that changed the footprint of the galaxy forever (or until someone stomps out all the TDW inhabited systems other than Shindez and LFT 926) while we wait for Next Era in 2021. In short, with the right mindset we will have had fun playing in a cool sandbox with friends making a neat thing. And what more do I really want out of a video game? ;)

STANDING ORDERS FOR TURNING THE WHEEL PROJECT (AS TAKEN FROM THE #STANDING-ORDERS CHANNEL ON THE ELITE WEEK DISCORD):

02-03 June 3306

Shinrarta Dezhra improved slightly by 1.6%. This more than makes up the loss from yesterday and is a good indicator that we can get movement in the right direction. Several more days like this and I'll have more faith in our ability to get this done. LFT 926 also gained a bit today!

Those with access to Shinrarta should concentrate efforts here again.
Missions for TDW from any station as well as trade for a profit into either of Neumann Camp or Puleston Arsenal. You buy elsewhere and sell into our stations.
Both these stations have Universal Cartographics so dropping your exploration data will help us as well.

There may be an opportunity to gain Bounty vouchers at the megaships in system. I suspect they aren't owned by us, but if by chance they are, defending them should get The Dark Wheel Bounties which help in either system.

Over in LFT 926, we are mostly restricted to using Missions to move influence. There is also a megaship in the system but the likely owner is Green party, so unlikely to be any use to us.

More advanced BGS players with a bit of experience might like to try your hands at smuggling into the black market at Meredith city. This should place a bit of downward pressure on them while we build up The Dark Wheel. Trading at a significant loss would help also if you have deep pockets.

Do Not Bounty Hunt in LFT 926 as that helps our new enemy, Green Party If you need to hand in their vouchers, do so in Skeggiko O

I have spoken with 3 sources who were in the room and whom I trust who have corroborated this statement. Ben Moss Woodward and Souvarine of Lave Radio and Sagittarius-Eye Magazine. And Ascorbius of the Brocast. I ABSOLUTELY believe when they tell me the statement was made that it was I just wish I had a recording for the EXACT wording as MB was known for being clever and saying a true statement that the listener would misinterprete and tie themselves in knots over when he wanted to. As my above examples indicate. You can make a statement that someone has been in the system Raxxla was in and didn’t notice it knowing people will assume one guy honked and jumped without noticing it and yet the truth is thousands have been in system with it hundreds of times and not noticed it because it is at this time not interactable...

Hey folks

I've been asked about this and I think I may have inadvertantly misled Kai I'm afraid.

I don't remember Michael Brookes saying that anyone had visited the system Raxxla is in. I've not actually ever met Michael Brookes, and didn't know the story was attributed to him until yesterday.

I did tell Kai (and have told others in the past) that I was pretty sure someone from Frontier had said that Raxxla was accessible in-game, but I couldn't cite a source for it, and now that I've really gone looking for it I actually think I've conflated that notion with David Braben's quote that "Raxxla is out there and we (FD) know where it is." Note that 'out there' doesn't mean 'accessible' - and doesn't even confirm that Raxxla is even present in the live build, really.

So, sorry to disappoint - and also sorry to anyone I may have inadvertantly misled via Chinese whispers or otherwise.

Well, the expansion to LFT 926 was to the nearest system and on the expected triggers and schedules based on the normal expansion rules, and the way its influence has varied in the systems it's in (both before and since the start of this initiative) doesn't suggest any particular difference from the rules there either.

Is there any evidence that TDW might have different BGS rules to every other [1] faction? Some previous event that isn't easily explained under normal BGS operation?

Obviously anyone can theorise that due to TDW's connection to the number 8, it will get 8x influence gains if someone with an 8-character name sells it 8t of cargo on the 8th of the month ... but there's no actual evidence for this theory (which I just made up without checking the data) being true or even plausible.

[1] Every other influence-holding faction in a system not under total BGS stasis, anyway. Obviously it responds differently in certain circumstances to, say, "The Dweller" or "Alpha Company" or "Canonn Gnosis Division" but that's because they're the special case.

I don't disagree at all. I was merely working under the logic that if TDW is able to expand into a locked system (Sol), it may be 'allowed' to break other rules too.

Hey folks

I've been asked about this and I think I may have inadvertantly misled Kai I'm afraid.

I don't remember Michael Brookes saying that anyone had visited the system Raxxla is in. I've not actually ever met Michael Brookes, and didn't know the story was attributed to him until yesterday.

I did tell Kai (and have told others in the past) that I was pretty sure someone from Frontier had said that Raxxla was accessible in-game, but I couldn't cite a source for it, and now that I've really gone looking for it I actually think I've conflated that notion with David Braben's quote that "Raxxla is out there and we (FD) know where it is." Note that 'out there' doesn't mean 'accessible' - and doesn't even confirm that Raxxla is even present in the live build, really.

So, sorry to disappoint - and also sorry to anyone I may have inadvertantly misled via Chinese whispers or otherwise.
Well i guess this is a prime example of the fallibility of memory. I could have sworn that you had told me you heard that directly but I'm sure now that I must have been mistaken. I apologize very much for the misunderstanding on my part. I am quite positive on the other two sources 1. Ascorbius who said it Sunday on the recording that is posted in this thread of the Brocast. and 2. Ben Moss Woodward who I spoke with just today in discord (via text) and he confirmed that he was in the room when it was said and had reached out to MB just within the last day to attempt to get a comment on this matter.

I did tell Kai (and have told others in the past) that I was pretty sure someone from Frontier had said that Raxxla was accessible in-game, but I couldn't cite a source for it, and now that I've really gone looking for it I actually think I've conflated that notion with David Braben's quote that "Raxxla is out there and we (FD) know where it is.
There's that word again...

Thanks for clearing the air, CMDR.

Please show me of an instance where anyone has attempted to move any non player faction and specifically TDW into Sol. I am not being combative but rather earnest as you could save us some time if you have direct proof. But as TDW has never been within 20ly of Sol it has never been tried. So unless you have something in writing from Frontier that I am unaware of than I’m sorry to say that Moderator or not you are quite simply incorrectly passing your opinion off as fact.
IIRC correctly, after some players expanded an Alliance faction into a lore-important permit-locked Federal system, the one with the prison colony, and made it take control of the system for the Alliance, Frontier used the next update to made it impossible for factions to expand into permit-locked systems to prevent it happening again.

And about Polaris, I've been told that with the interstellar travel technology from the time where Raxxla was supposed to be discovered, it's impossible that Raxxla is in Polaris simply because humans couldn't have reached Polaris yet. I didn't do the math myself, but that's what I was told.

Last edited:
Heads up to the honest cmdr; gankers are certainly watching this thread. I've had more run in's in the last couple of days than the entire last 6 months.

Last one were two guys in rail gun fdl's. I was hanging outside a station on lft 926 just typing a message to see if they were there to help out in the raxxla quest and they both opened up on me. I was dead before I could even finish my message (ps4, typing is fiddly).

I don't mind pvp but they should have a rp reason other than just to kill you because they have a pvp combat ship setup and you have a general purpose pve adventure ship.

Heads up to the honest cmdr; gankers are certainly watching this thread. I've had more run in's in the last couple of days than the entire last 6 months.

Last one were two guys in rail gun fdl's. I was hanging outside a station on lft 926 just typing a message to see if they were there to help out in the raxxla quest and they both opened up on me. I was dead before I could even finish my message (ps4, typing is fiddly).

I don't mind pvp but they should have a rp reason other than just to kill you because they have a pvp combat ship setup and you have a general purpose pve adventure ship.
Perhaps they are RP'ing as The Club... :rolleyes:

IIRC correctly, after some players expanded an Alliance faction into a lore-important permit-locked Federal system, the one with the prison colony, and made it take control of the system for the Alliance, Frontier used the next update to made it impossible for factions to expand into permit-locked systems to prevent it happening again.
The specific wording from the 2.4 Patch Notes is "Encourage factions to not expand into starsystems that require permits "

That's not worded as strongly as a total ban could be - I'm not aware of any successful expansions to a permit-locked system since then, but on the other hand a rule like "a faction can only expand to a permit-locked system if it is already present in all other systems in range" would be both simple to state and extremely effective at discouraging expansion while falling short of a total ban.

However, Sol is also subject to a separate BGS Lock, and has been since long before the 2.4 change (probably since the beginning, in fact). This is applied to four permit-locked systems in the bubble, and two permit-free systems in Colonia, and entirely prevents conflicts within the system and all inbound expansion [1].

[1] Under early expansion rules, it was possible for non-native factions to end up in a system with a BGS Lock as a result of an outbound expansion from that system - this is how every current faction except the Pilots Federation and TDW got into Shinrarta, and how United Condovichs Freedom Party got into Achenar. This has not been possible for several years, however.

And about Polaris, I've been told that with the interstellar travel technology from the time where Raxxla was supposed to be discovered, it's impossible that Raxxla is in Polaris simply because humans couldn't have reached Polaris yet. I didn't do the math myself, but that's what I was told.
Unless Raxxla is able to move - either under its own power, or it's small enough that its original discoverers moved it to somewhere more obscure.

Top Bottom