Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

View attachment 181458

I was finally able to get rid of that annoying "float right in your face in VR" notification! I was also able to get rid of those side lines without losing the important bits. This was not trivial (the coding is simple, but solving the initial puzzle was not). I also don't know if my code would work on radically different screen resolutions.. I'll test in VR later.

I'm really happy you finally defeated your nemesis!

I think the forums broke. No new replies here? It cannot be!
I've been away from ED (and PC gaming in general) lately - real life priorities are on the front burner ATM 🤷

People keep DMing me and expecting me to be their personal tech support, but I just don't have time right now.. Sorry!

i haven't asked Duck yet and after seeing what he posted - i'll just ask out here:

i am using the newest files and everything seems to be working out great but i am having one small issue. i love the way the sun looks in systems now with the modifications but the ring around it is missing. when i fuel scoop i use that ring to gauge where i'm flying and not get too close. but with it not being there - i have dropped out of supercruise several times for being too close.

is there a setting to put that ring back in there? is it still there but i just can't see it due to the way the sun in a system looks now?

Last edited:
People keep DMing me and expecting me to be their personal tech support, but I just don't have time right now.. Sorry!
Sorry if I came across similarly; that wasn’t my intention. I wasn’t wondering about what you’ve been doing, more about the fact that nobody had been posting. Guess they pestered you directly instead :-/

The only thing you can do I would think, haven't tried this myself yet, is to go to the right hand panel (modules, fire groups, ships etc.) on to 'ships'. Left of that panel choose 'pilot preferences', the wings icon, and turn on 'orbit lines'. You will have to do that every time you restart Elite because when using Duck's file the default is no orbit lines.
This may or may not work but it's all I have lol.
I'll try it out myself when I fly next.

@alterNERDtive & @Galaxias of DazBog - thanks for replying. if you scroll up just a tiny on this page (post# 762 & 763) you can see where he and i talked about fixing the default exclusion zone / planet name deal so that it was defaulted to on. all the planet ones work fine (albeit they are much fainter but i believe that is by design with the shader mods and i'm fine with it).

BUT

the sun / star one is different. they are also affected by the shader mods and look much better and brighter but the exclusion zone ring around them is either gone or the sun is so bright you can't see it. or it may be tied to where you can't see a lot of stars and such when you drop in and are close to a system's sun but they gradually come into view the further away you get from it.

regardless - the exclusion zone circle around the system sun / star is not visible (to me) and it has nothing to do with the orbit lines. i keep those on typically. i usually fuel scoop with the star above me so its easier to keep an eye on the exclusion zone circle and stay right on it. but with it being gone i am having a much harder time..

regardless - the exclusion zone circle around the system sun / star is not visible (to me) and it has nothing to do with the orbit lines.
Is it flat out not visible at all, ever? There’s been a bug bugging me for AGES now that seems to “randomly” make them disappear for a while, shaders or no shaders.

Interesting. I could still see it (very faintly) even at .05. Using .1 now and have no issue at all. Might do a screenshot if I can remember …
i never modified mine so it would’ve been whatever the default setting was on the Monkey Pants file.

[EDIT - i just checked and it was at .01 lol. that is the default. so - no wonder i couldn't see the exclusion zone line. i changed it to .1 like you recommended and that works fine]

at least i figured out the issue.

Last edited:
I'm going to be suspending work on the shaders until next year. I'll also be removing all blue skybox code from my own shaders (I'll make a backup first) in preparation of Odyssey. I just watched the Dev Diary, and their atmospheric worlds definitely look better than anything I can whip in with a shader hack. That said, I do foresee making a "thick atmosphere" mod when Odyssey is released, which will be much easier than trying to simulate an atmosphere on our current airless moons.

Sometime in the next month or two, I'll release the latest stable version of my d3dx.ini file along with some of the shaders I am using. After that, I'm going to wait for Odyssey, as I suspect there will be serious changes to the current shaders, along with the addition of new ones. It is likely I'll have to redo this mod for Odyssey, which is another reason I'm going into "feature freeze" now.

View attachment 181457

View attachment 181458

I was finally able to get rid of that annoying "float right in your face in VR" notification! I was also able to get rid of those side lines without losing the important bits. This was not trivial (the coding is simple, but solving the initial puzzle was not). I also don't know if my code would work on radically different screen resolutions.. I'll test in VR later.

What do i need to chane in the ini file, how do i get this beautiful view in VR?

@Old Duck i sincerely appreciate all the work you've done and time you've taken to help us all out. i play in VR exclusively and won't be getting Odyssey (since it won't support VR) so i'm kinda stuck with Horizons for the time being..

i'm on my way to Colonia and out in the middle of nowhere. is there a way that i could keep your shader setup but also use another key bind (like F6 or some other unused key) to turn all the space shaders on and off. the reason i ask is that being waaaaay out in the middle of nowhere i may want to look at the full colors of nebulas and such (and take pictures of them) while keeping the ability to keep the inside lights off. the only way i know how to do it is to put a dash '-' in front of your shader filenames to temporarily disable them and then restart the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom