Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

Top Down Normal.jpg

The galaxy as seen "top down" using new shader, a long distance away from main star (which makes skybox brighter if you have prototype lighting turned off). It's not perfect, as now the core is too blue IMO. I'm not sure if there is any skybox tinting going on. Turning off the ship's lights (thus enabling "my eyes have adjusted to the dark" mode), gives the following:

Top Down Lights Off Eyes Adjusted.jpg

Normally I fly either in the Bubble, or at least more vertically centered in the galactic plane, and that's what I calibrated the shader for. Feel free to tweak the shader to better balance colors to where you tend to spend your time. While dropping below / above the plane is a fun excersion, I don't plan to be here long. I prefer a more "traditional" star field for my skybox :D

Empty skybox best skybox. :)
I'm Goldilocks - I don't want too many stars (the core) or too few stars (the edge), but rather "just right". Speaking of, I'm not convinced it would be pitch black space at the edge of the galaxy. The universe has as many galaxies as the Milky Way has stars IIRC, so surely we would be able to see a sky full of "fuzzy stars" that are actual distant galaxies from out on the rim. No?

I'm Goldilocks - I don't want too many stars (the core) or too few stars (the edge), but rather "just right". Speaking of, I'm not convinced it would be pitch black space at the edge of the galaxy. The universe has as many galaxies as the Milky Way has stars IIRC, so surely we would be able to see a sky full of "fuzzy stars" that are actual distant galaxies from out on the rim. No?

Each of those points of light is a galaxy. That is what Hubble saw when it focused on a tiny patch of sky for a few days. Can a game model our entire universe for realistic visuals for when we sit on the edge of our galaxy? :oops:

Each of those points of light is a galaxy. That is what Hubble saw when it focused on a tiny patch of sky for a few days. Can a game model our entire universe for realistic visuals for when we sit on the edge of our galaxy? :oops:
A generic single skybox prerendered to approximate what we would see "out there" would be more than enough. Unlike stars, we're not traveling to distant galaxies, so there is no more need to dynamically render a new galactic skybox for each solar system than there is a need to render a new star skybox for each planet in a single solar system.

Not that I'm personally asking for this. I came, I saw, and I'm now about to leave the edge of space where blackness reigns. Unless Raxxla is found out here, I doubt I'll be back. I'll buy Space Engine if I want an entire universe of galaxies realisticallyish rendered (which answers your question).

I'm becoming more experienced with the d3dx.ini file. I'll release an optimized update in the coming days.

I may also go ahead and release the shaders for my custom HUD colors. This includes the ability to filter out all white targets on the radar (materials, wakes, limpets, etc). Just understand that these shaders were specifically written with my preferred colors in mind - they may not be easy to change unless you really know what you are doing.

I'm assuming Frontier has no plans to provide HUD cosmetics anytime soon (considering people have been asking for this feature for years now).

Last edited:
I'm assuming Frontier has no plans to provide HUD cosmetics anytime soon (considering people have been asking for this feature for years now).
My educated guess is that they are rewriting a lot of the game for Odyessey. That might include the code that handles HUD colors, and they might do HUD cosmetics then. Since, as you’ve pointed out, people have indeed been asking for years and it’s a low hanging basket of micro transaction fruit.

HUD On 001.jpg

HUD Off 001.jpg

I was finally able to get rid of that annoying "float right in your face in VR" notification! I was also able to get rid of those side lines without losing the important bits. This was not trivial (the coding is simple, but solving the initial puzzle was not). I also don't know if my code would work on radically different screen resolutions.. I'll test in VR later.

View attachment 181457

View attachment 181458

I was finally able to get rid of that annoying "float right in your face in VR" notification! I was also able to get rid of those side lines without losing the important bits. This was not trivial (the coding is simple, but solving the initial puzzle was not). I also don't know if my code would work on radically different screen resolutions.. I'll test in VR later.
I was out last night in VR and thinking about the bloody thing stuck right in my face, have to have a go at getting rid of it. And here it is, solved! Hope you have luck in VR later...
Then sell me the code for 1000 T of Tritium.

I'll happily give you 2000t for the blue skies code!
I back-burnered the blue sky code (which is purely experimental / "tech demo") so I could clean up and optimize the main "day to day" shaders and config file, but once I do that, I'll return my attention the the blue sky code. I really want to try to get a nicer gradient if at all possible, along with some other things.

Of course I would get more done if I didn't keep getting sucked into mindless, pointless debates in this forum. All you lovely shader fans, if you see me being "distracted" in other threads, just tell me, "Focus Old Duck, focus! You've got modding to do, remember?"

I need someone to keep me on task, LOL.

BTW, for anyone wanting to use this AND fiddle with stuff without having to re-do the .ini every time Duck has something new in store … this works just fine:

INI:
[include]
include=d3dx_realisticimmersion-beta.ini

Top Bottom