Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

And again, it's not the landing I have trouble with. It's the timing when to exit manual supercruise that I have trouble with.

EDIT: This timing issue then means I end up with 15 minutes or more of real time spent traveling the rest of the way, for fear of overshooting and crashing into the planet. Only one in ten attempts at manual supercruise end with me coming to a stop close to the destination. The rest of the time I'm either 300 ms too far and having to turn around due to not slowing soon enough or I'm 150-400 ks away from the target due to stopping too soon.

Last edited:
Been bounty hunting in LFT 926 again. This time in the iCourier upgraded with G3 Enhanced performance thrusters. Much more fun than the Viper. With a little help from the boys in green taking on bigger targets when I get them.

When having turrets set to "target" mode, they are suppose to automatically track and fire upon the enemy you have targeted after you've fired once, right? Cause I'm not sure if my turreted burst lasers are actually firing.

And again, it's not the landing I have trouble with. It's the timing when to exit manual supercruise that I have trouble with.

EDIT: This timing issue then means I end up with 15 minutes or more of real time spent traveling the rest of the way, for fear of overshooting and crashing into the planet. Only one in ten attempts at manual supercruise end with me coming to a stop close to the destination. The rest of the time I'm either 300 ms too far and having to turn around due to not slowing soon enough or I'm 150-400 ks away from the target due to stopping too soon.
I was literally in the game ready to make a quick example vid but the audio died and I got distracted fixing PC problems instead. You won't have this problem for long though. It's just a newbie thing.

Eventually I figure I'll get the timing down. Initially I was messing up 10/10 times. But now I can occasionally get it right. Not often, but occasionally. Now that I know how to land, that's easy. I prefer auto-dock and auto-launch, but that's for convenience rather then not being able to do it. I can get something to drink or eat a sandwich rather then focusing on maneuvering the ship while docking. Even once I master manual supercruise timing I'll probably still use Assist when I can, if for no other reason then to have a chance to give my hands a bit of a rest. Still makes planetary base approaches too long right now for my comfort.

Strange. My JVC headphones don't seem to work with Elite. I'll try fixing that another time. I was at least amused by the Christian Bale Terminator Salvation rant randomly playing as I rebooted Firefox.

Eventually I figure I'll get the timing down. Initially I was messing up 10/10 times. But now I can occasionally get it right. Not often, but occasionally. Now that I know how to land, that's easy. I prefer auto-dock and auto-launch, but that's for convenience rather then not being able to do it. I can get something to drink or eat a sandwich rather then focusing on maneuvering the ship while docking. Even once I master manual supercruise timing I'll probably still use Assist when I can, if for no other reason then to have a chance to give my hands a bit of a rest. Still makes planetary base approaches too long right now for my comfort.
Yeah, I still prefer supercruise assist. Sometimes I'll get back to the computer and realise I've flown zillions of miles past a station or planet otherwise.

How long is too long??The universe is infinite.

Thinking about it, it must be funny for the oldies to see newbies trying to fix each other's problems like we're experts.

I crashed directly into a planet less than a fortnight ago so who am I to talk?

When having turrets set to "target" mode, they are suppose to automatically track and fire upon the enemy you have targeted after you've fired once, right? Cause I'm not sure if my turreted burst lasers are actually firing.
Yes but they will only fire if the target is within their arcs of fire and within affective range and not obscured by rocks or friendly ships.
it's shorter than the Hutton run.
What's that?
There is an outpost called Hutton Orbital that orbits a planet around Proxima Centauri which orbits Alpha Centauri which is where you jump into the system. Proxima is just under a quarter of a light year from Alpha and can only be reached after a cruise which takes a minimum of 90 minutes real time, it is not unknown for small tanked ships to run out of fuel before they arrive.

Yes but they will only fire if the target is within their arcs of fire and within affective range and not obscured by rocks or friendly ships.

There is an outpost called Hutton Orbital that orbits a planet around Proxima Centauri which orbits Alpha Centauri which is where you jump into the system. Proxima is just under a quarter of a light year from Alpha and can only be reached after a cruise which takes a minimum of 90 minutes real time, it is not unknown for small tanked ships to run out of fuel before they arrive.
Oh yeah. I'm pretty certain I've made that run before. My home base is around the area and usually I don't check the travel time before accepting the mission. Old Duck warned me about this a while back but I ignored his advice.
Nope, not trolling you. I did mention I am bad at timing when to exit supercruise. At one point when approaching a station in the starter area that's near an asteroid field I literally took 2 hours to get to the station. Couldn't re-enter supercruise due to Mass Lock from the asteroids.
Wow.

There are Fleet Carriers at Hutton Orbital. Catch a free ride to get your mug......An FC can jump directly there.....?? Do the run to make your paint work look cool...

When doing a manual supercruise, what often happens is I initially drop down to normal space at 400 km or so. After that I reengage supercruise while keeping my speed down pretty low so I can drop back out at moments notice. I drop out of supercruise again when I think I'm almost there, and continue using sublight engines. At this point the travel time is usually around 15 minutes due to me misjudging momentum, meaning around 150 km. I could try to get closer then that, but I'm afraid I'll overshoot when I reengage supercruise. A few times I've managed to time things perfectly, to the point where I initially drop out of supercruise only 10 km from my destination. But that was more blind luck then skill.

Last edited:
On planetary approach, you don't exit SC manually.
On a station approach, the failsafe method is to throttle down to 75% while your ETA is still above 5 seconds. If you wait until 5 seconds or less, you will need to spiral or loop - a little more effort, but also effectively faster. There are a few approaches where this recipe fails because you are slowed down from the gravity of a close by body and exceed the safe speed while coming out of the gravity well on the approach.
Once you reach safe speed and distance (see the indicators left of your radar) , you'll get a blue pop-up prompting you to exit SC. No manual timing required.
On approaching a planet, I found the safe speed to usually be around 50%. You'll also have the safe speed band indicated on the display left of the radar. When you're in orbit, cruise towards your target unless it's at 45 degrees below you, then turn down. Your speed will reduce gradually to 2.5 km/s, then you'll automatically drop from orbital cruise into glide and the drop out of glide around 5 km from the surface.

Top Bottom