PvP Frontier created PVP gankers. By design.

Frontier created PVP gankers. Discuss.

For.
All in game combat delivers no balanced/relevant in game reward.
Once done with the forced/effective methods of "play" that got you the money to being combat ship build ready, you have no in game challenges left.
You think back on your time mining and want to watch it burn! With laser fire.
You also did some exploration so they can get some too.
You did some AX stuff, that was beyond you, those guys are nuts, can't kill a shieldless psychopath.
Go back to killing miners, explorers and very helpfully useless noobs. Those seal cubs won't club themselves.

Against.
It's a fun and involving game where building the ship is it's own reward.
You get to say, but not show, how great your weapons layout is.
I play my way, combat is the reason why society has broken down in 3306.
I like mining.
I like exploration.
Stop bating us with your "combat is not rewarded rubbish and help me fill this carrier with painite/LDT"

Edit: I add, this is a question/debate not a statement of my own intent. I'll be more succinct . When little to no trill, reward, even challenge is in PVE combat the challenge etc may be sort via PVP. Is this by design? Why is PVE combat discouraged in Elite? Is this even a factor?

Last edited:
tl;dr: "[fdev/you/...] made me do it" ?

No need to look for excuses, if you want to gank, just admit that it's what you like doing, don't blame fdev or others for your actions.

Otherwise, it just means that you have no control over yourself while playing this game, aka you are being played by fdev. If that's the case, do yourself a favor, go play another game that doesn't own you, don't be someone else's / a publisher's pawn.

Or just gank. I got interdicted the other day in my cargo cutter. Ohh he was good...showed my weps (just a hodgepodge of leftovers) were crap. So redone weps. New dizzy. Smaller pp. Now I think she's ready for ganking again... least i fought and high waked after a few sc attempts to get away, got out in one piece.
We need more gankers. Cos it's great fun surviving it, and fun for the pvper I guess. Building ships that can survive an attack.

tl;dr: "[fdev/you/...] made me do it" ?

No need to look for excuses, if you want to gank, just admit that it's what you like doing, don't blame fdev or others for your actions.

Otherwise, it just means that you have no control over yourself while playing this game, aka you are being played by fdev. If that's the case, do yourself a favor, go play another game that doesn't own you, don't be someone else's / a publisher's pawn.

The generic, gank be gank, it's them not us response. I do hear that, I'm not a ganker, nor do I condone it. As for you attributing my question to the answer "go FO and play another game" response. OG, please... have a clue?

The question stands, remove the, attribute me as the fault/instigator and think about the question, then give a solution/answer. 😎

Or just gank. I got interdicted the other day in my cargo cutter. Ohh he was good...showed my weps (just a hodgepodge of leftovers) were crap. So redone weps. New dizzy. Smaller pp. Now I think she's ready for ganking again... least i fought and high waked after a few sc attempts to get away, got out in one piece.
We need more gankers. Cos it's great fun surviving it, and fun for the pvper I guess. Building ships that can survive an attack.

I've played this for years and still have no idea what you just said.

It's...regional..dialect hehe
I was attacked and survived learned from it and modified ship accordingly...how's that

A wondaful story and a lesson to many. I do applaud you. But I do ask, did Frontier create the environment where combat became more PVP focused than PVE focused?

When no reward or challenge for in game PVE combat is in place the "challenge" may be misdirected toward trill over in game reward? I will add this is a question not a statement of my own intent. Because some have already become confused and told me to leave and play another game, that's not the solution to my question, but it's always nice to be told to leave in such a dumb and arbitrary fashion.

Pve focused PvP focused who gives a flying hoot.! Go solo if you don't want to experience PvP.
That's what the majority of folks do.
I don't think their original intent was a PvP orientated game, the mechanics exist yes but watered down across 3 types of play option.
A career in PvP has it's limits. Namely finding prey.

PvP is not "territory" related, also we dont have any pvp leaderboards or any objective means to measure pvp skills, current state of the game is another reason why we need open only power play and maybe also BGS and CG's, and pve not prepere player for pvp, it's diffrent game currently, not enaugh pve setups where player can really test his skills.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Frontier created PVP gankers. Discuss.
While some players who bought this game may have turned to ganking, gankers existed long before this game. Other players will have bought the game with the hope of being able to gank others - however those others have choices with respect to how they play the game which means that the gankers may be disappointed.
Edit: I add, this is a question/debate not a statement of my own intent. I'll be more succinct . When little to no trill, reward, even challenge is in PVE combat the challenge etc may be sort via PVP. Is this by design? Why is PVE combat discouraged in Elite? Is this even a factor?
Not all players are seeking the "thrill" of combat - and, as two of the paths to Elite don't require the player to fire a shot in combat, Frontier must be aware that not all players want to engage in combat and don't force players to engage in it.

While some players who bought this game may have turned to ganking, gankers existed long before this game. Other players will have bought the game with the hope of being able to gank others - however those others have choices with respect to how they play the game which means that the gankers may be disappointed.

Not all players are seeking the "thrill" of combat - and, as two of the paths to Elite don't require the player to fire a shot in combat, Frontier must be aware that not all players want to engage in combat and don't force players to engage in it.
Oh my, I agree with you on a pvp related topic :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Only thing I'll throw in is the one rank of the three shown by a scan of another CMDR is neither the explo nor the trade rank ;)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Oh my, I agree with you on a pvp related topic :eek: :ROFLMAO:
Oh my, indeed. :D
Only thing I'll throw in is the one rank of the three shown by a scan of another CMDR is neither the explo nor the trade rank ;)
Indeed - noting that, as the three ranks are more a measure of endurance than skill, Combat rank is not particularly useful in determining the skill of the player behind the CMDR.

Sandro Sammarco - Feb 18, 2016 - Edited from full length

"In Open play, any sort of behaviour is technically allowed (bar hacking or using known exploits)."
What is potentially missing is appropriate consequence for some actions. For example, pirating a ship and stealing some amount of cargo in a policed jurisdiction is reasonable - you are committing crimes which you might have to pay for. Pirating in anarchy is also fine, including destroying the target ship in the process - the victim should understand the risk of flying outside of legal jurisdictions."

Now let's take another example: the hypothetical Commander "greifconda" slaughtering the hypothetical Commander "newbwinder" with maniacal glee. The first thing to note is: as an event, it's acceptable within the rules of the game."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ganking has always existed, it will always exist. It was part of the game from the start. Does it stem from boredom? Lack of meaningful PvP opportunities? Perhaps. Whether it does or not hardly matters. All feelings aside, it's a valid course of action.

The original post mentions some C&P changes, among other things. Worth taking a peek at. Maybe.

Not much on the forums has changed over the years lol.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Sandro also said, on the 13th December 2014 (three days before game launch):
Hello Commanders!

In this instance, blocking the Commander might prove quite useful.

When you block somebody, a couple of things should happen.

Firstly, you will receive no communications from them.

Secondly, during any transition where matchmaking is at work (so basically, hyperspace jumps, entering and exiting super cruise) you are much less likely to be matched with the blocked Commander.

Blocking becomes weaker when it comes up against friends (and next year, player wings), because if a blocked Commander is in the same session as a friend (say, because they haven't blocked the Commander, the blocking effect is overruled by the friendship matchmaking.

Outside of this case though, blocking should work fine.
... and the block feature has only ever been made more effective and easier to use over time.

1603737587118.jpeg

PvP has always been discriminated. For instance in PvE, NPCs drop materials upon a kill, player kills don't drop materials. Same with powerplay. Bounty payouts from players are capped at a mere 2 million credits (2 void opals, basically).
There is no gameplay reason to PvP other than bounty hunting or powerplay, which both can be easily avoided by paying off your bounties and not pledging for a power.
We also have the modes which are fine in the first place but don't make sense when it comes to PvP since you can influence powerplay or the BGS via solo within 100% safety as NPCs don't display a threat at all.
We also don't have diplomacy amongst squadrons, we can not form alliances of squadrons and wings (leading to weird setups when there are more than 4 people playing together).
There is no place to PvP in terms of gameplay as the game doesn't reward PvP (again, bounty hunting and PP are the minor exceptions).

So with all this in mind what is left over? Most PvP players play the game soley for PvP as the rest has either become dull, unchallenging or uninteresting alltogether.
The result is ganking. Because what options do you have left as a PvP player when you boot up the game with the sole intention of doing some quick and easy PvP?
Shooting at any player is the answer because of multiple reasons, a few of them being:

• Any PvP is better than no PvP
  • Getting wanted is combined with the hope to attract somewhat skilled bounty hunter players (thus, more PvP)
  • If at a hotspot, the chance is high to find someone new, eventually leading to new experiences
  • Even if the targets don't shoot back, you atleast can set up own challenges. Speedrun for instance.

And depending on the player(s) in question some more reasons.

There simply is no place and gameplay reason that tells us PvPers "Go there if you want to PvP as your experience there and with/against these player you will find there is way more exciting and rewarding than the place you're currently in.", which basically means that, as already mentioned, there is no gameplay reason to PvP in this game but this game offers incredible (potential) PvP experiences compared to other, less complex games.
So we end up with a high demand for PvP but next to no offer for it. And this is the reason why ganking exists.

PS: Count how many times I have written "PvP" in this post. :)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
We also have the modes which are fine in the first place but don't make sense when it comes to PvP since you can influence powerplay or the BGS via solo within 100% safety as NPCs don't display a threat at all.
The modes and the fact that all players affect the BGS, Powerplay, etc., make perfect sense for a game where PvP is an optional extra for those who wish to engage in it, i.e. the game is not designed around PvP and does not require any player to engage in it to participate in any game feature (except CQC).
So we end up with a high demand for PvP but next to no offer for it. And this is the reason why ganking exists.
While there may be a "high demand for PvP" among those players who enjoy PvP, the same cannot necessarily be said for those who don't enjoy PvP, noting that, while Frontier have indicated that the majority of players play in Open (at least some of the time, the statement was unclear on that point), Frontier have also indicated that they are "well aware" that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP.

PvP exists simply because players can shoot at anything they instance with - however players don't require to instance with other players and can also block specific players they don't want to play with.

Ganking existed long before this game - it's not new or unexpected. Which is probably one of the reasons why the three game modes exist while every player affects the shared galaxy.

Top Bottom