New Odyssey Article - more on planet generation

Unless the planet tech goes into Horizons, I think its inevitable a player cannot be in the same instance as an Odyssey player. The planets will look different, what is available POI wise will be different and potentially EDO player could be landing their ship on driving their SRV on different terrain to the EDH player.

No, Horizon planets will also get graphical makeover, and look same for Odyssey players also.

No, Horizon planets will also get graphical makeover, and look same for Odyssey players also.
I think the problem will be the 2nd part of Kilvenny's post though, if only EDO players get the new POIs and settlements etc. Which for technical reasons may well be the case, we don't know yet. Or simply a decisions hasn't been made yet to allow it, even if it's not a technical hurdle. I imagine it's a technical inconvenience at least.

We will see.

Yes, sounds like a move from categorical to dimensional modeling. :D

not necessarily, what they say could just mean a couple of extra levels of categories, which is the most likely, simple and easy answer. more than a fundamental change in approach i would expect more variation and detail added into the current system. which would already be nice, of course. but you mention "dimensional modeling" and folks are already imagining deep caves flooded with mercury.

since that article's sole purpose is to entice feverish and otherwise bored minds into a spiral of hype, i'm happy to be here to tone down the expectations a few notches. we have been there many times and it is well known that many people has considerable trouble managing them. it's a public service. like a hype rat of sorts :)

I think the problem will be the 2nd part of Kilvenny's post though, if only EDO players get the new POIs and settlements etc. Which for technical reasons may well be the case, we don't know yet. Or simply a decisions hasn't been made yet to allow it, even if it's not a technical hurdle. I imagine it's a technical inconvenience at least.

We will see.
I don't see it the same way. I'm sure horizons will see everything the same. They just won't be able to get out of their SRV/ship, interact with the Odyssey stuff or get the relevant missions.

FDev made it clear there should be no physical division and that players will be able to interact between srv and foot. Obviously, no Odyssey just means you can't go on foot.

1. and 2. I would assume so from experiences of Horizon-dlc, all players were able to be in same instance, except Horizon planets were only for those with DLC.
And we already have those settlements at planets and can drive in and around them with our SRV´s.
Naturally they might get a makeover for Odyssey+Horizon in graphics, "foot-entrance only" and so on.

It would not make any sense that one could drive around in the same planet with same graphics and settlement, but not see others.

And I assume that npc´s are the same, as players, you can see them walking (just like you can now see npc ships and stuff happening at stations), but it is just you who can not walk but just sit there and watch them having fun (so much you wanna buy DLC and join them). :)
It will require update for Horizon also ofc to set people walking around, same as for Odyssey.

OR, it might be that players in Horizons and Odyssey can instance together until they get through the descent vector and would then be split into different instances. I don't think I've seen anything suggesting all the new textures will be in the core game, splitting the instance once you drop out of orbit would make sense. Again, just speculation.

Hey, can you provide a link to confirm that? A couple of my friends who don't follow the forums asked a similar question. I was telling them that I thought that only applied to what everyone sees in orbit, not after they descend. I'd like to get that cleared up.

Hey, can you provide a link to confirm that? A couple of my friends who don't follow the forums asked a similar question. I was telling them that I thought that only applied to what everyone sees in orbit, not after they descend. I'd like to get that cleared up.
It was definitely confirmed. The trouble is, there have been a number of Q&As but, for some reason no effort to sticky or collate here so trying to find that specific one isn't easy (though I'll bet someone's got it collated).

They're totally replacing the planetary generation system with Odyssey. Not just revamping one version of it.

So planets with a fine atmosphere will have characteristics similar to those of the planet Mars in real life!

• rarefied atmosphere
  • atmospheric pressure below 2 or 7 kPa
  • no storms
  • small rows of clouds
  • polar caps

It will be very interesting, this marks the beginning of major future updates compared to previous updates.

Looking forward to playing on the xbox.🙂🙂

Mission/BGS info from Gareth Hughes

Elite Dangerous is a living galaxy with a plethora of minor and major factions vying for influence in the different systems and settlements scattered throughout the galaxy. One of our proudest achievements with Odyssey has been bringing that background simulation to life inside our stations, outposts and beyond.
The influence of the background simulation now manifests itself in a much more physical and human way, from the background chatter between faction NPCs to the tone and thematic presentation of the locations themselves.
One key area where this can be most keenly felt is in the difference obtaining missions; the mission board offers a quick and efficient way to pick up regular missions but engaging with a physical faction representative offers more nuanced missions with greater personality and narrative depth and also the opportunity to barter for a better reward.

Not much new stuff, but interesting read.

Two problems:
1. will Horizons player even see new settlements on OLD Horizons planet and ride in SRV around, just not be able to get out of it and get into the buildings?
2. will Horizons player actually see people walking around?

The player base isn't that great to begin with so preventing any interactions between Horizons and Odyssey players save space encounters would be kinda dissappointing (as lack of crossplay is, but it's probably not FDev fault).

1) I expect new settlements will be like all the other, cross platform and present for all players, I very much doubt they could change that.

2) As stated by others, I expect they will be separated in instances, although a reply on one of the AMA's did say they were still looking at that.

Unless the planet tech goes into Horizons, I think its inevitable a player cannot be in the same instance as an Odyssey player. The planets will look different, what is available POI wise will be different and potentially EDO player could be landing their ship on driving their SRV on different terrain to the EDH player.

They have said the planet tech will apply to horizons and Odyssey, there's really no need for it to be different, it's only specific areas like access to interiors of settlements that will be restricted. For instance you could drive around a new settlement on a new planet with the new tech but not get out of your SRV, so no access to interiors, maybe you could even park your ship and access the bases services like now, but not leave the ship to access the interiors, although nothing has been said about that yet. There's a lot still to be revealed, but one thing they have revealed is that the new planetary tech will be available to both Odyssey and Horizon players.

Hey, can you provide a link to confirm that?

Found this quote referring into a video at link:

It was good get confirmation that the current horizons planets are also getting an update along with the new planets we can land on in EDO. I can only assume all horizons players will get this so we will see something new in VR once the update drops (unless ED:H really is going to be a different game go ED;O

edit, here:

"For the first time you'll have access to a whole pile of new planets, all ones with tenuous atmospheres," says Jackson. "You can visit old planets too, and we have refreshed the visuals on them. You can be the first to actually make footfall on a planet."

"And obviously you'll be able to play this in multiplayer," he adds. "So you'll be able to join up with your friends in ships, SRVs, and finally, on foot."

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Very interested in Apex. I really hope there are no timers involved, so it is basically a form of quick travel but without your ships. If the screen fades to black with a timer saying:"four hours till arrival." I will be a bit annoyed...

I can not source it but somehow I have the impression I red/heard somewhere the experience will be of you seating as a crew member and the AI piloting in real time. So, basically a ride and at least you can enjoy the views. Just like a longer landing autopilot. I may be wrong tho.

A ride would seem to be a good compromise between the unbalancing / non immersive instantaneous teleport and a straight timer.

Last edited:
To be honest
I could get all excited by walking around and transposing game loops integration of the BGS to power art assets of the local factions "owning" the stations - and believe me I am,
but it's hard to relate to something I don't have access to, with so many "new" concepts to imagine.

However, something I can relate to is the ships and planets:

Watching from the cockpit of an alliance Cheiftian skimming over an ice-world like a recreation of the Battle of Hoth broke my heart with desire.
^(Queued at 2m12s)^

The same goes for an adder skimming between two hills
^(Queued at 3m09s)^
The team has done just an amazing job.

The bit of the video that grabs me, is just seeing the footage of the ship's cockpit and the pilot being lit by a blue sky (with all the nice reflections from the sky on the visor) seriously and seeing the planet on the horizon with the atmosphere lit up from the local star....These simple things just get my heart pumping.
^(Queued at 3m41s)^

With Regards to tech
The planetary crust, tectonic plates, gravity tugging/deformation, have always been a part of the planetary generation and stellar forge sim since well, er, conception.
They had mentioned it before when horizons were launched back in later 2015
(11m:00s)
They knew where these systems would need to go and how they need to interact. They have probably always had been stubbed out with basic capabilities from the get-go.
I was blown away by horizons and even though the experience might have gotten old over the last 5 years, sometimes you just get a really good grazing angle of light from the local sun and the effect of the valleys and craters just getting their peaks and troughs contrasted by light and dock, is still just jaw-dropping as you start your descent or take off.

However, seeing it all cranked up though.....oh boy.
And to think these systems still have further milestones to reach, weather patterns, vegetation foliage, life-forms, roads cities...all working in sync across peer-to-peer networks.
5 more years maybe?

And of course, these combined outputs of the different systems drive ART assets and not simulation actual geometry per-sig and if you think that is a limited approach, then here is a very good example of an art asset, being created by hand, by an artist that artistically feels good enough for our brain to accept it, than attempt to simulate something from reality as accurately as we can but we land at something that comes too close to the uncanny valley at a massive performance overhead.

Something we haven't seen updated for a while, are the sunsets around atmospheric planets from space, we got to see them from the planet, but not so much from space.
I got a hold of the latest UniverseSandboxand was stunned that they barely had "any" light bleeding effects from a star being occluded by a planet and its atmosphere (Rayleigh and Tyndall scattering?) To be fair it is in early access and wip so the jury is still out on a final decision

So far Elite Dangerous is still using the "light bleeding" from the base 2015 game is still way better than say the latest Universe Sandbox.

As mentioned before, that last panning shot from dev diary 1, shows the near-by planet's atmosphere creating a halo of light around the planetoid. Reminds me of those first few moments after the Escape from Targ (mercenary1) and the landing on Eris before your receive the mission to destroy the comet damocles. (mercenary2) and Elite 2 of course....

Last edited:
Top Bottom