Something I've Noticed

I want to start this post off by saying that I absolutely LOVE playing Planet Zoo, as it is objectively the best zoo simulation game out there. The fact that it evolves from Zoo Tycoon 2 with stuff like custom weather systems, gorgeous foliage, new methods of transportation from the base game (e.g. monorail, train, gondola, boat, etc.) and greater species diversity is mind-boggling, and seeing content creators like RubleTrillions, Haribo, Iben, and Leaf Productions' fantastical creations (and even having the fortune to work with people like Zekin and Leaf on projects like Arcadia, Hutan Rimba Conservation Centre and Suyana Zoo) is something beyond my wildest dreams.

As is the case with anything I absolutely enjoy, naturally there are things I'd be bound to notice about the way things work that may initially start as a minor annoyance and then unfortunately spiral into a major gripe. I want to preface this by saying I have absolutely zero ill will or malice towards anyone or anything, the issue I have boils down to the regular 3 month droughts of content with not a clue in sight as to what is next. I can see the reasoning behind this as ramping up hype in the foreground, while in the background, the developers are tirelessly and excitedly toiling and tinkering, eager to bring new content to show to us. I wholeheartedly understand that unique rigs take an immense amount of time, and I love seeing the unique animals and animations that have spawned from packs such as Africa, Australia, Aquatic and even South America. And I also understand that if something were to be revealed too soon, then that would kill any potential hype for whatever new content is being released. That said, SOME KIND OF CLUE would be nice in terms of tiding the community over information-wise. Being left in the dark for a significant amount of time inevitably leads to an unhealthy ebb and flow of activity as well as a general feeling of unwarranted resentment from the community towards the wrong people. Even something which used to be fun, like speculation, has turned into a circular conversation along the lines of "I think it's gonna be North America! My species list is XYZ" "Oh yeah? My species list is ZYX!".

Rather than continue to mope, I would like to offer a couple suggestions as to prevent keeping us in the dark for a significant amount of time. Initially, I thought a roadmap of the next few DLCs would be a good idea, however the issue arises that it could be a scenario of revealing Frontier's Trump Card too early. A good friend of mine suggested that a week after the next DLC is released, some cryptic hint would be showcased regarding the DLC after that. Said cryptic hints could be sporadic, but would certainly engage actual speculation rather than "well, we're getting North America, Birds, and insert other ideas here". In the astronomical chance that something like a Primate Pack was being worked on in 2022, maybe an image of a strand of fur can be released one week, and maybe in the final week or so leading up to the DLC (much like South America), a video is released showcasing an empty island rife with climbing structures, and no audio is playing other than the rustling of bushes/the ambient map sounds, before the call of a siamang is heard. Something like THAT would be genuinely amazing in my humble opinion, and would lead to more positive community engagement new content-wise.

I want to reiterate that I wish ill will and malice to none, and I merely want to put forward something I have noticed.

Thank you for your time, and I hope my equivalent of The Silmarillion has left you with pause.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 3-4 month drought is tough, especially when it spans over the summer, like this past drought. The communication at Frontier hasn't really changed a whole lot even with the new CMs. I know people say they are responding to threads on the forums here, but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Now, the discussion threads are a great idea for the CMs to engage and interact with the community more but some kind of teaser or sneak peak would be highly appreciated.

I know people say that we should get a free update with an animal or some animals for a few bucks but that's not really in the cards in my opinion. It just doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe just a weekly teaser or something like that. I don't know, just some improved communication would be nice!

As far as the next DLC, if they announce the update and DLC next week with obviously no teasers this week, I have no problems. But, if they do a teaser at the end of this week, and then release the DLC on the 28th, not the 21st, that'll be annoying. Whenever it comes, it better be worth it!

I like the Idea of showing Fur, Scales, Feathers or Skin. If I remember correctly that was how the Spotted Hyena was officially leaked during the Beta. We've also had that Antler Picture of the Reindeer before it got completely revealed. Would be great if they would bring Stuff like that back

I know people say that we should get a free update with an animal or some animals for a few bucks
I would like a few Bucks for a few Bucks. Red Deer and Fallow Deer would be nice 🙃🦌

Last edited:
I like the Idea of showing Fur, Scales, Feathers or Skin. If I remember correctly that was how the Spotted Hyena was officially leaked during the Beta. We've also had that Antler Picture of the Reindeer before it got completely revealed. Would be great if they would bring Stuff like that back

I would like a few Bucks for a few Bucks. Red Deer and Fallow Deer would be nice 🙃🦌
I actually think easy-to-make animals (No new animtions/vocals) as standalones would be great to break droughts,

I actually think easy-to-make animals (No new animtions/vocals) as standalones would be great to break droughts,
Additional Gazelles, another Capuchin, Barbary Macaque, Asiatic Lion, Sumatran Tiger, Green Peafowl, Quanaco, maybe a second Chimpanzee Subspecies, a new Tortoise, another Flamingo would be excellent Choices even though at least some of them (maybe all) would at least need slight Model Modifications

I fully agree with this sentiment. While I can appreciate the developers wanting to keep things a surprise, there's ways to do it that keep things interesting and the speculation going. And I really believe that speculation is an important thing for the community! It keeps the conversation going and knowing that there are more DLCs coming down the line will probably help to keep people invested in and playing the game.

The current thought right now among a number of players is that Planet Zoo support (e.g., new features, updates to fix bugs, and DLCs) will stop at the end of 2021. Obviously, folks don't want this to happen... But you can feel the negativity in the discussions. Most of us want the DLCs to keep on coming as long as its feasible to do so, regardless of whether the major updates stop (which they have to at some point, right?)

Letting people know what might be coming and a rough timeframe will only help the speculation and inspire more conversation. It will also help players to plan what they may/may not do with their zoos.

I like the ideas posited above, but another spot to integrate this sort of thing would be in the Discussion Topics in this very forum. Those have been super fun and slightly re-framing them to hint at features, new animals, new props, etc. that might be coming could really get people talking and thinking about what they might do (which encourages more play)

For example: The recent "shops" discussion. Instead of asking for our favorites, why not re-frame it? "We're thinking about adding new shops to the game. Which ones do you love? What would you like to see?"

You could do something similar with new animals. "We're thinking about adding some temperate woodland animals to the game. What would you like to see?" It's a win-win. You're letting players know that something might be coming down the line without getting too specific, inspiring conversation... And if any of those fan-given ideas find its way into the game? People will feel heard which would lead to more investment in the game.

Or if things are set and the devs already know exactly what they'll be doing? A "Saturday Surprise" post with a small image like the OP suggested could -- again -- get people talking.

I love this game. I love talking about this game. I love playing this game. This is the zoo game I've been waiting for since the Zoo Tycoon 2 UI, features, and all that started feeling dated about 10 years back. The possibilities it has as far as what can be expanded upon feel pretty infinite to me and knowing that the game has more DLCs coming down the line would only further that!

Helping the players feel a bit more involved in the process and giving us little tidbits here or there is a sure way to keep it staying that way! And keeping people optimistic about the future of the game.

I agree.

I want to start this post off by saying that I absolutely LOVE playing Planet Zoo, as it is objectively the best zoo simulation game out there. The fact that it evolves from Zoo Tycoon 2 with stuff like custom weather systems, gorgeous foliage, new methods of transportation from the base game (e.g. monorail, train, gondola, boat, etc.) and greater species diversity is mind-boggling, and seeing content creators like RubleTrillions, Haribo, Iben, and Leaf Productions' fantastical creations (and even having the fortune to work with people like Zekin and Leaf on projects like Arcadia, Hutan Rimba Conservation Centre and Suyana Zoo) is something beyond my wildest dreams.

As is the case with anything I absolutely enjoy, naturally there are things I'd be bound to notice about the way things work that may initially start as a minor annoyance and then unfortunately spiral into a major gripe. I want to preface this by saying I have absolutely zero ill will or malice towards anyone or anything, the issue I have boils down to the regular 3 month droughts of content with not a clue in sight as to what is next. I can see the reasoning behind this as ramping up hype in the foreground, while in the background, the developers are tirelessly and excitedly toiling and tinkering, eager to bring new content to show to us. I wholeheartedly understand that unique rigs take an immense amount of time, and I love seeing the unique animals and animations that have spawned from packs such as Africa, Australia, Aquatic and even South America. And I also understand that if something were to be revealed too soon, then that would kill any potential hype for whatever new content is being released. That said, SOME KIND OF CLUE would be nice in terms of tiding the community over information-wise. Being left in the dark for a significant amount of time inevitably leads to an unhealthy ebb and flow of activity as well as a general feeling of unwarranted resentment from the community towards the wrong people. Even something which used to be fun, like speculation, has turned into a circular conversation along the lines of "I think it's gonna be North America! My species list is XYZ" "Oh yeah? My species list is ZYX!".

Rather than continue to mope, I would like to offer a couple suggestions as to prevent keeping us in the dark for a significant amount of time. Initially, I thought a roadmap of the next few DLCs would be a good idea, however the issue arises that it could be a scenario of revealing Frontier's Trump Card too early. A good friend of mine suggested that a week after the next DLC is released, some cryptic hint would be showcased regarding the DLC after that. Said cryptic hints could be sporadic, but would certainly engage actual speculation rather than "well, we're getting North America, Birds, and insert other ideas here". In the astronomical chance that something like a Primate Pack was being worked on in 2022, maybe an image of a strand of fur can be released one week, and maybe in the final week or so leading up to the DLC (much like South America), a video is released showcasing an empty island rife with climbing structures, and no audio is playing other than the rustling of bushes/the ambient map sounds, before the call of a siamang is heard. Something like THAT would be genuinely amazing in my humble opinion, and would lead to more positive community engagement new content-wise.

I want to reiterate that I wish ill will and malice to none, and I merely want to put forward something I have noticed.

Thank you for your time, and I hope my equivalent of The Silmarillion has left you with pause.
Frontier really, really needs to read this and take it to heart. The biggest problem this is causing isn’t the people commenting here, but the people long gone because this stuff has pushed them away — possibly for good. I think you said this as well and as reasonably as possible.

Additional Gazelles, another Capuchin, Barbary Macaque, Asiatic Lion, Sumatran Tiger, Green Peafowl, Quanaco, maybe a second Chimpanzee Subspecies, a new Tortoise, another Flamingo would be excellent Choices even though at least some of them (maybe all) would at least need slight Model Modifications
Even something like randomly adding one or two new color patterns or looks for existing animals to the game to mix in.

I haven’t understood why they don’t sell standalone animals. $2 for a dromedary (for example) strikes me as free money.
Honestly, I would be far more tempted to make a large expense when I can pick and choose lots of standalone 2,- animals. Essentially creating my own personal DLC as it were.

Frontier really, really needs to read this and take it to heart. The biggest problem this is causing isn’t the people commenting here, but the people long gone because this stuff has pushed them away — possibly for good. I think you said this as well and as reasonably as possible.
I stopped playing PZ for a long time, more than a whole year, because of lack of news and communication. I just lost interest. I wasn't really feeling the upcoming Australia dlc and then I just... Stopped.

After the Africa dlc I started playing again because of a sale and I bought SEA... But also in large part due to the influx of mods! Which brought many new animals.

I think what bothers me mainly is the invisible future ahead. For example, all I really want is EU dlc, and beyond that so much more animals, but whether we will get it...? And then I wonder, is it worth investing my time in this game when I can never build a European section in my zoo. When I always use the same animals, because the roster is still quite limited.

Honestly, when PZ came out (and I pre ordered the deluxe to get all the content and play beta) I expected large DLCs. Like 20 animals centered around a theme like biome or region or mechanic or endangerment. I also have planet coaster, so I knew what those DLCs were like. But I thought this would be different. Because this is a zoo game. And zoo games are all about animals, of which there are hundreds commonly kept in zoos. And yes, I fully expected to dish out larger amounts of money for DLCs.

But that didn't happen, and the small DLCs quickly lost my interest. The game wasn't 'growing,' it feels static.

I am sure that devs are hard at work, but I'd like this process to be more see through, to keep players engaged, especially because the DLCs are so small.

I stopped playing PZ for a long time, more than a whole year, because of lack of news and communication. I just lost interest. I wasn't really feeling the upcoming Australia dlc and then I just... Stopped.

After the Africa dlc I started playing again because of a sale and I bought SEA... But also in large part due to the influx of mods! Which brought many new animals.

I think what bothers me mainly is the invisible future ahead. For example, all I really want is EU dlc, and beyond that so much more animals, but whether we will get it...? And then I wonder, is it worth investing my time in this game when I can never build a European section in my zoo. When I always use the same animals, because the roster is still quite limited.

Honestly, when PZ came out (and I pre ordered the deluxe to get all the content and play beta) I expected large DLCs. Like 20 animals centered around a theme like biome or region or mechanic or endangerment. I also have planet coaster, so I knew what those DLCs were like. But I thought this would be different. Because this is a zoo game. And zoo games are all about animals, of which there are hundreds commonly kept in zoos. And yes, I fully expected to dish out larger amounts of money for DLCs.

But that didn't happen, and the small DLCs quickly lost my interest. The game wasn't 'growing,' it feels static.

I am sure that devs are hard at work, but I'd like this process to be more see through, to keep players engaged, especially because the DLCs are so small.
The DLC's most certainly need to change! Like you, I expected more, mainly because of Zoo Tycoon. Like you said the game isn't growing, it's staying in one place and that's the reason why so many people are already talking about PZ2 because this one lacks so much, it hasn't given us what it promised (Eg: animal personalities), the DLC are small and lacking.
If nothing chances in the next DLC then I too will be saying goodbye to this game and no longer keeping up with anything but the free updates which will be ashame

The DLC's most certainly need to change! Like you, I expected more, mainly because of Zoo Tycoon. Like you said the game isn't growing, it's staying in one place and that's the reason why so many people are already talking about PZ2 because this one lacks so much, it hasn't given us what it promised (Eg: animal personalities), the DLC are small and lacking.
If nothing chances in the next DLC then I too will be saying goodbye to this game and no longer keeping up with anything but the free updates which will be ashame
In contrast, PZ started with a lot more animals and most features of ZT2 in the base game.

In contrast, PZ started with a lot more animals and most features of ZT2 in the base game.
Exactly, I don't get why so many people think ZT2 was superior here.

Zoo Tycoon 2 (Base game): 30 species
Endangered Species (Expansion): 20 Species
African Adventure (Expansion): 20 Species
Marine Mania (Expansion): 20 Species
Extinct Animals (Expansion): 35 Species
Official Bonus Downloads: 5 Species
= 130 Species

With all the DLCs we are now at 108 species in PZ, and support for PZ haven't ended yet. 5 more DLCs for PZ with at 5 animals and we are above that number.

And, something I mentioned in the PZ Discord, ZT2's expansion packs weren't really that big as we like to think they were.

I bought all of them on release day back in the day, and I loved it all to bits, but oh boy looking back at it those packs really didn't age well. Yes, the packs had more animals. That's something we can give them, even though even back then the ZT2 animals were really low poly which means that even then they were a lot easier to make.

But looking at all the other stuff, we got variants, rides and a water upgrade in ES. We got rides and a slight herding upgrade in AA. We had shows and underwater mechanics in MM. And we had some dino related features in EA. Scenery and building wise these packs were also extremely limited, and surprisingly missed stuff from time to time (like speakers, benches) making themes incomplete.

But the most important part, all of these features were locked behind paywalls. Wanted variants for your animals? Tough luck, you need ES! Wanted underwater views? You'll have to buy MM or you don't have them. Wanted the herding behavior? You need AA! You wanted the upgraded zookeeper AI? EA was the thing to buy. Imagine if we have gotten all the features we have gotten in the base game and for free in the updates as paid content? People would have rioted for sure.

Exactly, I don't get why so many people think ZT2 was superior here.

Zoo Tycoon 2 (Base game): 30 species
Endangered Species (Expansion): 20 Species
African Adventure (Expansion): 20 Species
Marine Mania (Expansion): 20 Species
Extinct Animals (Expansion): 35 Species
Official Bonus Downloads: 5 Species
= 130 Species

With all the DLCs we are now at 108 species in PZ, and support for PZ haven't ended yet. 5 more DLCs for PZ with at 5 animals and we are above that number.
And we should probably remove the 35 EA animals from that list because the majority of the PZ players don't want extinct animals. So we have technically surpassed ZT2 already.

Don't get me wrong. ZT2 was a great game and at the time their expansion packs seemed really great and I enjoyed them a lot. I've played the game for 16 years. But looking back at it and taking away my rose tinted glasses I must admit that PZ has given us a hell of a lot more content with their base game and their DLCs than ZT2 ever has.

Top Bottom