For some reason, the map of the Horizons and the Odyssey are different in content.
For example, Horizons has Targoids in the system, but if you switch to Odyssey, there is no more.

I've been thinking... You set out on an adventure to discover the galaxy and you stumble across Raxxla and then carelessly lose it again.

Where would be some of the first places you'd head for..... I'd probably head somewhere you'd seen planets outside our solar system...

So I've been looking at the discoveries in a timeline for exoplanets by NASA and started visiting the systems (haven't gotten very far yet!)... The nearest required a permit (Van Maanen's star and discredited discovery too but what the hell!) so that took a while and the next (Alrai) was an interesting system with a nice massive dying star and seen some nice scenery already.... But nothing of Raxxla interest so far...

However the first discovery of extra solar planets was in PSR J1300+1240... Which is 2K LY from Sol but a bit tricky to get there as it's above the galactic plane.... I was wondering if anyone else has suggested this avenue before or been to J1300+1240?

....just a thought 😉

Last edited:
5bb1fc30554c7f08176ec0bf.png
Oooh!
He looks like a dastardly character! 😁

I've been thinking... You set out on an adventure to discover the galaxy and you stumble across Raxxla and then carelessly lose it again.

Where would be some of the first places you'd head for..... I'd probably head somewhere you'd seen planets outside our solar system...

So I've been looking at the discoveries in a timeline for exoplanets by NASA and started visiting the systems (haven't gotten very far yet!)... The nearest required a permit (Van Maanen's star and discredited discovery too but what the hell!) so that took a while and the next (Alrai) was an interesting system with a nice massive dying star and seen some nice scenery already.... But nothing of Raxxla interest so far...

However the first discovery of extra solar planets was in PSR J1300+1240... Which is 2K LY from Sol but a bit tricky to get there as it's above the galactic plane.... I was wondering if anyone else has suggested this avenue before or been to J1300+1240?

....just a thought 😉

Mmm, it sounds as though you’re assuming Raxxla is a planet. We actually have no evidence for that assumption, other than the old (& possibly retconned?) statement in Holdstock’s original TDW novella that it was a planet on which was an alien construct, a gateway to other universes...the wandering planet hypothesis is from Drew Wagars fan-fiction, and while it’s a good read it is not canon lore for ED.

The trouble with that hypothesis is that Raxxla logically should have been accessible from the gamma release, long before Horizons when pilots could finally land on planets. So, either you assume that Raxxla was not intendd to be accessible at the outset (I find that difficult to swallow, it breaks an unwritten agreement between game producer and players that mysteries should be soluble; I don’t think Michael Brookes, as an author, would have accepted that), or that Raxxla is not actually on the planet, so it might be a station orbiting the planet (in which case why do you need a planet?), or perhaps that the gateway to Raxxla is the Omphalos Rift, which is mentioned in the Codex in such a seemingly clumsy way that it must be significant.

So I suspect we need to find the Omphalos Rift to get to Raxxla. It might be anything, but to my mind is associated with an astronomical body (that fits with the original Obfuscated on the Outer Rim elite mission phrasing “...information on a certain celestial body,you know the one I mean. Place that isn't a place, door that is also the key. The myth."” ). That body may be an exoplanet, but then it might just as likely (to my mind more so-what brought the aliens to Sol who left the Mars Artefact?) be an asteroid orbiting within Sol. Whatever it is, it is not easy to find. There must be a storyline means to reach it (Michael Brookes quote), which presumably is via the DW faction, somehow.

The toast is likely a clue, or set of clues that is relevant, we need to solve them. The logo is also a clue, to my mind it suggests an asteroid in Sol (see my previous “Raxxla in Sol” hypothesis posts).
😁

Last edited:
For some reason, the map of the Horizons and the Odyssey are different in content.
For example, Horizons has Targoids in the system, but if you switch to Odyssey, there is no more.
Odyssey is effectively in beta testing phase, though FD aren’t admitting that, I don’t think you can rely on anything within it until the console version is also released!

So last week I spent some time unlocking all the permits and one thing I noticed was they all seemed to be cultists with markings on their foreheads. Possibly Far God Cult implications?

I don’t know about the Far God implication, but to my mind most of the permit locks are suspicious. WHY did they exist? From the outset of the game! Logically they were hiding something. Van Maanen’s star in particular stands out to me- there is apparently nothing there out of the ordinary!

I really think we should incorporate some or all of these permit locks into our theorising. I’m wondering if they are part of the “in-game storyline that leads to Raxxla”....

Odyssey is effectively in beta testing phase, though FD aren’t admitting that, I don’t think you can rely on anything within it until the console version is also released!
I understand you. But that's not what I'm writing about. Comparing the world of Horizons and Odyssey, we can see generated or specially created things. Indirectly, this may bring us closer to the mystery of Raxla.

Mmm, it sounds as though you’re assuming Raxxla is a planet. We actually have no evidence for that assumption, other than the old (& possibly retconned?) statement in Holdstock’s original TDW novella that it was a planet on which was an alien construct, a gateway to other universes...the wandering planet hypothesis is from Drew Wagars fan-fiction, and while it’s a good read it is not canon lore for ED.

The trouble with that hypothesis is that Raxxla logically should have been accessible from the gamma release, long before Horizons when pilots could finally land on planets. So, either you assume that Raxxla was not intendd to be accessible at the outset (I find that difficult to swallow, it breaks an unwritten agreement between game producer and players that mysteries should be soluble; I don’t think Michael Brookes, as an author, would have accepted that), or that Raxxla is not actually on the planet, so it might be a station orbiting the planet (in which case why do you need a planet?), or perhaps that the gateway to Raxxla is the Omphalos Rift, which is mentioned in the Codex in such a seemingly clumsy way that it must be significant.

So I suspect we need to find the Omphalos Rift to get to Raxxla. It might be anything, but to my mind is associated with an astronomical body (that fits with the original Obfuscated on the Outer Rim elite mission phrasing “...information on a certain celestial body,you know the one I mean. Place that isn't a place, door that is also the key. The myth."” ). That body may be an exoplanet, but then it might just as likely (to my mind more so-what brought the aliens to Sol who left the Mars Artefact?) be an asteroid orbiting within Sol. Whatever it is, it is not easy to find. There must be a storyline means to reach it (Michael Brookes quote), which presumably is via the DW faction, somehow.

The toast is likely a clue, or set of clues that is relevant, we need to solve them. The logo is also a clue, to my mind it suggests an asteroid in Sol (see my previous “Raxxla in Sol” hypothesis posts).
😁

Raxxla a planet.... might be, might not be.... I just opined the general direction of exploring humanity might follow... haven't seen anything in the lore to suggest it, but hey there's nothing concrete to suggest anything around Raxxla ;-)

And as I said at the very least I've seen some interesting scenery so far and might actually head up to PSR J1300+1240 as it will bug me if i don't ;-)

I’m wondering if they are part of the “in-game storyline that leads to Raxxla”....
This is why I took the time to unlock all the available ones outside of CQC and HIP 54530 which the latter is apparently broken and has been since the Ts'ao Tach CG months back and the former just being difficult to obtain on XBX. When Mbooni becomes openly available I'll be adding that one to my list.

I've read somewhere, I think on a Drew Wagar post, that permit locked systems were meant for future storylines but I have a feeling that references the Col 70 region more than the bubble options.

I still think the fact that most of the Bubble Permits being offered by these cult like personalities has something to do with a storyline and Far God Cult seems like an easy connection being the only cult I know of being mentioned in the game.

Well, it’s a hypothesis as good as any other. We haven't explored anything, to my memory, that links these bubble permit locks yet they do stand out as a game feature. Good luck!

Well, it’s a hypothesis as good as any other. We haven't explored anything, to my memory, that links these bubble permit loto tcks yet they do stand out as a game feature. Good luck!
I have to admit, I thought I was 100% certain that some of the players here (that may no longer haunt this thread) had already tried getting all known unlockable permits in a bid to see if that would lead to Raxxla. I may well be wrong about this, though.

AFAIK all permit locked systems have an interesting system description. It might be worth collating those perhaps as there might (cough cough) be a lead to Raxxla. As much as I strongly doubt it, I think if something hasn't been done yet it's always worth doing to prove it or not.

Sorry to sound downbeat about it but I do not think we'll find it before the game ends (if DB has put a shelf life on it). At that point, I don't think they'd tell us anyway - there would fire and pitch forks when MB announces what the "tiny bit obvious" thing would be! However, once the Odyssey pain has finished for both players and FD, I am really hoping that are several more DLCs to be made (more Odyssey expansions, ELWs etc.). I know it's not the topic of this thread but I really hope that they go through proper S/W testing strategies this time rather than crapping it out!

Well, proper software testing doesnt seem to have happened since the initial release! 😉

Yes, I’ve got all current permits on the assumption that was perhaps part of the “personal journey” which MB hinted was the way to attain Raxxla, but I still don’t see that there’s anything that links them. So if you have a theory about the system descriptions then we’d like to hear it. Gaining those permits doesnt seem to have made any difference to my own game journey. I suspect we need to go via TDW, and it may be there’s a mission-related link...?

Ah, so players have already tried the get-very-permit route then. I thought as much!

No theory as such about permit-locked systems, just wondered if the system descriptions, when taken together, wove some kind of story or clues for the search. I never really check system descriptions so have no idea what kind of information they contain!

I only have a few (10 or so) permits, so do not know what the text descriptions are for the majority of them... Is there a place where this information is centralised? TBH I don't think that it will help - it's not even a 'tiny bit obvious'!

As I said though, the whole point about this search is to try everything. The sad thing is that I feel there's no more theories or ideas to try, that hasn't already been discussed or tried.

One part of me keeps going back to MB's 'tiny bit obvious' thing and I think to myself, "what would be a tiny bit obvious" - you know, like trying to think the way he thinks. But I never get anywhere with that. Doesn't seem like anyone else has, either. I wonder sometimes if it's staring us in the face, although with the number of players having gone through this game and the number of Raxxla hunters that have graced this thread, I think it's a lot less obvious than he made out. Well, it clearly IS a lot less obvious than he made out!

In regards to the ‘tiny bit obvious’ statement, my personal opinion is this related to the older Dark Wheel missions which never directly mentioned Raxxla but which hinted toward it…

As outlined on page 1 of this thread these missions were later omitted from the game, hypothetically I presume because they were bugged, evidence being that they spawned more or less anywhere and to anyone and seemingly with no pattern and they never resolved in an outcome.

I presume they were intended to lead to the actual Dark Wheel station, the source of the crystal data spheres, but they were so bugged, deemed unimportant and subsequently deleted.

It is also possible they never actually lead anywhere in the first place, and that FD maybe hadn’t got that far and were took by surprise by players abilities!

I would further presume these missions were later repurposed upon the arrival of the Raxxla codex, and maybe now sit as audio logs on the Dark Wheel station…or were completely deleted as part of the 2017 purge.

My assumption is that anything prior to 2017 is now probably inadmissible.

Last edited:
To me “a tiny bit obvious” implies within, or very close to, Sol.That and the Mars Artefact (i.e. aliens were here long ago!) and the Raxxla codex logo (with astronomical sign for Sol in the centre) led me to my “Raxxla in Sol” hypothesis. So I think Raxxla is hidden in Sol, possibly as asteroid/comet Chiron (or maybe the Omphalos Rift that leads to Raxxla orbits Chiron). However I think the way to detect it is via access to TDW dark station, perhaps as hints or missions. How we get access to that station beats me though!

I’ve pm‘d both SallyMorganMoore and Dr Kay Ross asking for clarification of the Sol’s planetary position orrery time/date since we cant match those positions to Stellarium for 2021 or 3307. No response!! I’ve also pinged Drew Wagar on FB Messenger asking if he can clarify whether TDW are the secret society we were supposed to be able to join, since he’s the only author that wrote anything substantial about TDW, and also has one of his characters say the Shinrarta faction is a front (implying there are hidden depths to TDW that we need to resolve), also no response.

Now I know NDAs apply, and FD aren’t going to give away secrets (I wasn't asking for that, just clarification of astronomical time within Sol). I think silence can be deafening! But I’m still wondering how to gain access to TDW!!

@Comandante I think you need to get the permits to be able to check the system description, though might be worth checking them out on EDSM.

Edit: if failing memory and RSI permit I’ll try to remember to look in the system maps and take pix of the descriptions.

Last edited:
I’ve also pinged Drew Wagar on FB Messenger asking if he can clarify whether TDW are the secret society we were supposed to be able to join, since he’s the only author that wrote anything substantial about TDW, and also has one of his characters say the Shinrarta faction is a front (implying there are hidden depths to TDW that we need to resolve), also no response.

Hi Jorki, apologies, I didn't see the message I'm afraid, or I missed it. EIther way, apologies!

In the lore I was given prior to 2017 (ie. when i was writing Premonition) it was stated that the faction in Shinrarta Dezhra was indeed a front. Whether it was a front put up by the real TDW to deflect interest away from the real TDW, or that faction was a bunch of chancers simply trading on the name wasn't made clear.

I got my character to imply that the former was the case because I thought it was much more interesting (and in-line with older 1984 era lore and comments from Felicity Farseer that stated that TDW was very much on the ball with dealing with people who tried to steal their identity). However, there wasn't any more lore to work with at the time, so I had to leave it ambiguous. Dark Wheel stuff was mostly "off limits" and reserved for Fdev to develop - though the stuff that later appeared in the Codex didn't seem all that related to the stuff I'd been working from in 2016 - ( ie. Lyta Crane and the eighth moon/gas giant stuff was newly written for the Codex).

I don't know if that lore was developed post 2017 I'm afraid - I suspect it was a victim of the retconning in 2017. Obviously that's since been subsumed by the "Turning the wheel" initiative and this very thread ... which has given Fdev the opportunity to develop that in response to player actions. As to whether Fdev have created more detailed lore in this area...

... Your guess is as good as mine. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
ah thanks Drew, thought it was strange you hadn’t responded!
but I'm still in the Dark about TDW! :ROFLMAO:

Edit: just a thought, but MB’s “you have to make some of it a tiny little bit obvious” could also include Shinrarta Dezhra, which apparently had some strange secrecy over its naming, and is the “home” of both Pilots’ Federation and TDW, and requires Elite to gain the permit.....

Last edited:
ah thanks Drew, thought it was strange you hadn’t responded!
but I'm still in the Dark about TDW! :ROFLMAO:

Edit: just a thought, but MB’s “you have to make some of it a tiny little bit obvious” could also include Shinrarta Dezhra, which apparently had some strange secrecy over its naming, and is the “home” of both Pilots’ Federation and TDW, and requires Elite to gain the permit.....
I suspect the tiny bit obvious has nothing to do with the location of Raxxla. Just the existence.

Top Bottom