December Dlc Discussion! New PZ in the following two weeks days?

Saiga have near-zero captive presence outside of the former USSR. They're cool animals but I'd rather not have a proboscis monkey repeat. If we get an Asian antelope it ought to be the blackbuck or Arabian oryx.
I couldn't agree more. If the game gets a long enough lifespan I'd rather have a central asia pack with wild horses, saigas, pallas cats, and markhors. But if we are limited to one or two asian antelopes the arabian oryx and blackbuck take presedence in my opinion.

The new feature/free update screenshots don't always correlate with the DLC, but they have in the past (e.g., screenshots of Asia-themed areas of a zoo ahead of SEA). So the architecture in the image looking Italian gives me a bit of pause. Between the image and the fact that there is one last continent remaining for DLC packs, I'm feeling like it's very likely Europe.

Whether or not it's an animal pack or a scenery pack is hard to say. I know there was chatter about some new building pieces, and we have the buoys out there, but it's entirely possible that these new pieces might just come along with the free update! Frontier has included free objects in updates before (e.g., new foliage and rocks) and since we're getting restaurants? Giving us some decorative pieces to go along with it, that aren't behind a paywall, would make sense. And the Italian-style building in the picture looks to have been created from pieces already in-game so there's no hint about new building pieces other than the buoys...

Between that and the lack of European animals in-game currently, I could see an animal pack coming our way to fill that gap. Similar to what they did with NA.

As for the buoys? I am feeling like we may learn more about those if they opt to highlight another new feature ahead of the full announcement (what that might be I have no idea; maybe a new boat ride?). Nothing about the buoys scream "Europe" to me, They're more general/generic. But then again, they've been leaning in that direction with the scenery sets anyway (making pieces that have utility beyond the DLC region).

Either way - I'm excited to see what news we get next! I'm really thinking when they tell us a bit more about the free update and any other features they might be adding in that it'll tip us off to the DLC content.

Another random thought: The fact that restaurants are able to be placed in habitats with "friendly" animals is really making me think we'll be seeing birds sooner rather than later. Probably not the upcoming DLC but... It feels like a step in that direction. Realistically, it would make more sense to be able to eat at a table surrounded by tropical birds than, say, lemurs y'know?
I disagree - I think Frontier are alternating animal and build packs to satisfy both parts of the community so the next pack should include build pieces.

Ive also noticed far more YouTuber videos being released around build packs which helps their marketing.

I could see the aviary stuff being further on due to JWE2, giving that a little longer since both games use a lot of the same engine and waiting a little longer for other issues there while working on the additional mechanics that would be required to make flying animals work with Planet Zoo...due to the heavier interactivity with the animals Planet Zoo has over JWE2 for perching and similar things

I would assume that it would be due to that's what happened with Jurassic World: Evolution...both the smallest dinosaurs in the game and the aviary as part of the last pack with the Return to Jurassic Park DLC...
They could take longer to work out the flying mechanics, but I imagine this was developed with both JWE2 and Planet Zoo in mind - better to design it for the engine and both games, than for one and adapted for the other, so I imagine it’s been tested for a while. The technology/coding may have been available for a bit already but I think Frontier have intentionally launched it for JWE2 first as a headline development on the original game. So Planet Zoo was always going to get this afterwards.

In terms of the aviary being in the final JWE DLC I think this is a moot point - they obviously hadn’t developed the flying mechanic we see now at that point so it wasn’t possible to be introduced in any prior DLC. The flying in that DLC was also more of a repeating animation than the wayfinding version that now is in place. I really don’t see how they’d invest all the time in a new mechanic to just use it once for Planet Zoo. It was clear how much work went into deep diving, and it’ll be the same for flying.

As we can see from the new JWE2 DLC being released in December, they have included 2 land based animals, 1 flying animal and 1 marine animal. I can see Planet Zoo going a similar way once flying animals are introduced.

We could even see our first flying animal as part of the next pack. This is how birds may be introduced rather than a full aviary pack. Marketing wise, this would mean bird lovers would buy multiple packs and it would diversify the roster on an ongoing basis.

Last edited:
Okey, let me plot a little.
What if we got the last Continental Pack now. That would be Europe and if they stick with their current model (i.e. alternate between animal pack and normal pack), then we will now get a Europe 4 + 1 pack. Would actually make sense at this point.
This would conclude the chapter on continents. (I'm not shure about the Asia terme)
In the spring I could very well imagine the Aviary Pack, as an animal pack 7 +1 (8?).
Then we go to the biome packs with 2-3 land animals, 1 semi-aquatic, 1 bird and 1 vivarium animal.
That would currently be my dream scenario.

So we have this roster:
Dez21: Europe Pack
Spring22: Aviary Animal Pack
Summer22: Desert Pack
Autum22: Tropical Animal Pack (Rainforest?)
Winter22: Taiga Pack (Tundra/Mountain?)
Spring23: Temprated Animal Pack (Forest/Rivers?)

I'm at a point right now that I actually don't care a bit about what's next. I know that no matter what Frontier puts on the table for us, it will be fantastic.
Of course there are still a few points that I would like to have worked through. This includes, for example, birds and swinging animations and animal personalities.
But I'm sure that Frontier listens and looks at the community and does everything they can. I am very grateful for that and I really enjoy being a part of it.

Last edited:
I am surprised that no one noticed but JWE has nothing in common with PZ. JWE is a Universal Studios franchise and everything created in the game, from game mechanics to programming, belongs equally to Universal Studios. So far it has been proven that the two games have been designed differently and do not share any creative ideas. Maybe just the movement of animals that is relatively biologically the same. But it is also obvious that in terms of the mechanics of movement and animal behavior, the two games have different approaches. In JWE we have violent animals that hunt and eat other animals and even people, herd behavior, territorial behavior, a much more natural and realistic interaction with the environment than in PZ. Instead, we have in PZ hitboxes and relatively repetitive animal behavior, with no interaction with other animals or humans. Although there would have been enough time and the two teams that create the two games would have collaborated, probably these behaviors would have been implemented in PZ, before the launch of JWE 2. But it did not happen. JWE has several gates for habitat, since the beginning of the game, more precise terrain handling tools and vegetation brushes that create a complex and random cover, tools that would be welcome in PZ but are missing and, I think, they will never be implemented. Instead, heightmaps and random rotation of vegetation were created in PZ. My opinion is that if the flight mechanics for birds in PZ are ever implemented, it will be created from scratch, according to a conception specific to the team working in PZ. It remains to be seen whether the future will contradict these evidences.

So we have this roster:
Dez21: Europe Pack
Spring22: Aviary Animal Pack
Summer22: Desert Pack
Autum22: Tropical Animal Pack (Rainforest?)
Winter22: Taiga Pack (Tundra/Mountain?)
Spring23: Temprated Animal Pack (Forest/Rivers?)
I would be disappointed if we only get a normal Europe Pack but I could live with a Temperate Animal Pack that probably adds more European Animals 👍

It Will probably be europe pack as most expect. The restaurant style could be european. And i read somewhere on this forum that the hot chocolate recipe is french? Seems like a hint, just like they did with the black and white lemur.

I am surprised that no one noticed but JWE has nothing in common with PZ. JWE is a Universal Studios franchise and everything created in the game, from game mechanics to programming, belongs equally to Universal Studios.
Nope. The two games share the same engine (cobra) the underlying code is the same. Universal doesn’t own the code - only the Jurassic X brand.

So far it has been proven that the two games have been designed differently and do not share any creative ideas.
How had it been proved? You may have inferred this but it certainly hasn’t been ‘proved’.

They could take longer to work out the flying mechanics, but I imagine this was developed with both JWE2 and Planet Zoo in mind - better to design it for the engine and both games, than for one and adapted for the other, so I imagine it’s been tested for a while. The technology/coding may have been available for a bit already but I think Frontier have intentionally launched it for JWE2 first as a headline development on the original game. So Planet Zoo was always going to get this afterwards.

In terms of the aviary being in the final JWE DLC I think this is a moot point - they obviously hadn’t developed the flying mechanic we see now at that point so it wasn’t possible to be introduced in any prior DLC. The flying in that DLC was also more of a repeating animation than the wayfinding version that now is in place. I really don’t see how they’d invest all the time in a new mechanic to just use it once for Planet Zoo. It was clear how much work went into deep diving, and it’ll be the same for flying.

As we can see from the new JWE2 DLC being released in December, they have included 2 land based animals, 1 flying animal and 1 marine animal. I can see Planet Zoo going a similar way once flying animals are introduced.

We could even see our first flying animal as part of the next pack. This is how birds may be introduced rather than a full aviary pack. Marketing wise, this would mean bird lovers would buy multiple packs and it would diversify the roster on an ongoing basis.
Flight Mechanics are in the files

I am surprised that no one noticed but JWE has nothing in common with PZ. JWE is a Universal Studios franchise and everything created in the game, from game mechanics to programming, belongs equally to Universal Studios. So far it has been proven that the two games have been designed differently and do not share any creative ideas. Maybe just the movement of animals that is relatively biologically the same. But it is also obvious that in terms of the mechanics of movement and animal behavior, the two games have different approaches. In JWE we have violent animals that hunt and eat other animals and even people, herd behavior, territorial behavior, a much more natural and realistic interaction with the environment than in PZ. Instead, we have in PZ hitboxes and relatively repetitive animal behavior, with no interaction with other animals or humans. Although there would have been enough time and the two teams that create the two games would have collaborated, probably these behaviors would have been implemented in PZ, before the launch of JWE 2. But it did not happen. JWE has several gates for habitat, since the beginning of the game, more precise terrain handling tools and vegetation brushes that create a complex and random cover, tools that would be welcome in PZ but are missing and, I think, they will never be implemented. Instead, heightmaps and random rotation of vegetation were created in PZ. My opinion is that if the flight mechanics for birds in PZ are ever implemented, it will be created from scratch, according to a conception specific to the team working in PZ. It remains to be seen whether the future will contradict these evidences.
I hear what you’re saying and these are all valid points.

I agree that there’s a lot that is different in these games in terms of game play, mechanics and design.

However, deep diving was added to Jurassic World Evolution after it appeared in Planet Zoo, which I think makes it likely flight will be added to Planet Zoo in the same way.

Whilst the code may be different, it’s the solution that Frontier came up with for these mechanics that can be replicated.

I honestly doubt that will be the case with a 4+1 pack.
I think we can all agree, that both the red deer and alpine ibex are more or less mandatory for this pack, leaving us with 4 other candidates with a high chance (lynx, red fox, european badger, wolverine) and the chance for random curveballs like frontier tends to throw at us.
Just look at the arctic pack, two must haves (polarbear and reindeer) and two unconventional picks, that were also quite nice in the long run, while "better" alternatives like a muskox, arctic fox, mountain hare or the wolverine.
If i would need to bet, i would say eurasian lynx (aka the best lynx for the game, fight me on that), red deer, alpine ibex and a random spot, where i could see the red fox, wolverine, european badger, western capercailie and wild boar all having a good chance for, but also the possebillity of literally any other european animal, making only the red fox and wolverine as possible shared animals, with most likly if anything only one of them making the cut.
Well, the red fox, wolverine, wild boar (introduced) and the red deer (introduced, too, I believe) are found in NA as well.

And, my favorite lynx is Bob the cat, ok? Bob is amazing and I don't appreciate you pushing him around and stepping on him. Bob Cat has feelings, too, you know
(Seriously, though, bobcat is my favorite lynx mostly because I've actually seen a bobcat, possibly the same one, 3 different times)

I would be more disappointed if we got a 4 + 1 Aviary Pack now. I think Europe is a good fit. Maybe we will get generic items with it (shovels, rakes, hay bales, etc.)
But we will see what happend.
I'm so excited guys 😁
Every time you say you're pretty excited I can't imagine anything other than a little guinea pig giggling with impatience like they usually do, and it's super cute.
Source: https://youtu.be/dS3bsliM-3Y?t=62

I disagree - I think Frontier are alternating animal and build packs to satisfy both parts of the community so the next pack should include build pieces.

Ive also noticed far more YouTuber videos being released around build packs which helps their marketing.

This is a fair point too! And the video you shared kinda indicates that the all of building set talk is linked to the DLC. So there's really no reason to assume otherwise.

The counter to what I said too is that while a European animal pack could be easily filled out? A standard animal/scenery pack focused on the bigger animals more people want could do much better for them! I also think the European building set would allow folks to get specific - but could also be used for a lot of other areas of a zoo too.

(But I'm still wondering if something like the buoys might just be part of the free update along with a new feature or an updated mechanic or something.)

Top Bottom